• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4 trailer is online

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
upload2mg8.jpg

i just cant fathom how people arent impressed with this trailer. gotta suck to be that hard to please/jaded

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What's impressive about the trailer isn't the absolute graphic fidelity but IW's creation of a chaotic sense of large-scale conflict and being in the middle of it, ala their Call of Duty trademark - and with achievable-looking graphics, not the bullshot fiestas like the Killzone 2 trailer.

If CoD4 can really replicate the overall sense that the trailer hints at, then for that scale of wholesale insanity the graphics are fine.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, hope the final game is 60fps as well. may cement it as graphical king of 07

Kewk

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
hopefully the game is not a tottally scripted experience like the previous versions.

The scripting in the COD series is one of the main reasons the game has been so successful. Why would they change it?

Aleman

Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 made me feel like I was really in the middle of a huge battle (not that I've ever been in a battle IRL, but..) more so than any other shooter. Infinity Ward really has that down and I can't wait to play this one. Day one purchase for sure.

Blimblim said:
I'm reencoding the 60 fps trailer to wmv and mp4 right now.
Thank you, especially for the extra time to make an .mp4, it's appreciated greatly.

And now that I've had the initial "crap, it's not WW2" feeling go away, I've looked at the trailer with less of a bias and think it looks better than I previously thought. I'd much rather play this than Ghost Recon Adavanced Warfighter, for example. It's a good thing GRAW hasn't released on the PS3 yet or I'd probably have it, so now I can wait for CoD4. :D
The night vision stuff from the air, looking down on people running across a field, that looked SO real, I hope that's gameplay.
I wonder if you have to stop a nuke or something, because I see one going off near the end of the trailer.

Kewk said:
The scripting in the COD series is one of the main reasons the game has been so successful. Why would they change it?
They really need to change the scripted triggers though when it comes to enemy spawning.
There are parts of CoD where if you stayed in one spot long enough you could kill a German soldier for every man, woman, and child in all of Europe. :\

Kewk said:

because the novelty factor is over and really does hurt replayablility.

I also hope that there are at least options for greater realism in the multiplayer since it's extremely doubtful the consoles will accept any kind of mod.
I put in countless hours of playing CoD online on a realism server and eventually became a member of the unit, the 3rd Infantry Division. Realistic damage is much more enjoyable to me in games like this.

Sean

Banned
Kewk said:

The scripting is cool the first time playing it, but it's hte same thing every time. Gets annoying repeating the exact same things every time you die. And it makes the game less fun to replay.

Not saying to remove it all together, but it should be toned down quite a bit. It's 2007 now...

Yup, scripted linear gameplay is pretty dated, non-linear is the new hotness, at the very least enough non-linear variety to make you feel that you can go in a number of directions or make different decisions.
But really, at least for CoD, I'd rather the AI and crap enemy spawning to receive the biggest change for next-gen.
EDIT: And better realism, especially in MP.

Top Bottom