• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmack: Rage's mod tools coming "Real Soon Now. I hope. Sigh."

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's a shame to see iD in this place, but it was kind of inevitable given they remained a small, independent team for so long.

What makes me even sadder is how they were completely blown away from the middleware scene by Epic. iD had better tech in my opinion but far less versatile than Unreal 3. Since Doom 3, everyone has moved away from the far superior shadow volumes in favor of crappy shadow maps. I can understand why, shadow maps are still much more practical in large open locations, but damn are they ugly!

iD's emphasis on pushing the envelope for innovative technical features (done right!) appears to have cost them the support they used to have in the industry. All the while, Unreal is an ugly mess, full of hacks, but works on just about everything because of it...

antitrop

VG Chartz, unreliable or not, says 1 1/2 million sales globally on Rage. But that doesn't count Steam sales, right? So what, like 2.25 million is a solid rough guess?

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's a shame to see iD in this place, but it was kind of inevitable given they remained a small, independent team for so long.

What makes me even sadder is how they were completely blown away from the middleware scene by Epic. iD had better tech in my opinion but far less versatile than Unreal 3. Since Doom 3, everyone has moved away from the far superior shadow volumes in favor of crappy shadow maps. I can understand why, shadow maps are still much more practical in large open locations, but damn are they ugly!

iD's emphasis on pushing the envelope for innovative technical features appears to have cost them the support they used to have in the industry. All the while, Unreal is an ugly mess, full of hacks, but works on just about everything because of it...

I don't think it was the engines themselves that led to fewer licensees, Carmack was deliberately ramping down that side of the business because he wanted to spend more time working on games and less time troubleshooting his tech for licensees. The Bethesda buyout was supposed to allow them to pursue that direction.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't think it was the engines themselves that led to fewer licensees, Carmack was deliberately ramping down that side of the business because he wanted to spend more time working on games and less time troubleshooting his tech for licensees. The Bethesda buyout was supposed to allow them to pursue that direction.

this. I can find the interview where he said this.

M3d10n

The problem is Rage mods will either be massive or limited to re-using existing locales: since everything is pre-baked, custom areas can easily hit a GB or two in size. Hosting those will be a bitch.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

this. I can find the interview where he said this.

I see. Thanks for the info.

jarosh

If someone mods out all the driving, I might play it again.

Yep, totally. Well, actually, I'd continue or start over if most of the driving was modded out. Stopped after 5 hours when I realized just *how much* driving I had to do, and I *really* hate the driving. Shame, I dug the gun-play.

Playing Bulletstorm on PC right now and it feels exactly like the kind of game I expected/wanted Rage to be.

Sharp

VG Chartz, unreliable or not, says 1 1/2 million sales globally on Rage. But that doesn't count Steam sales, right? So what, like 2.25 million is a solid rough guess?
They literally make up their numbers. ******** figures are not a solid rough anything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I get the impression that designing levels for Rage could be a nightmare if you want to come close to matching id's work on it. The discreet texturing seems like quite a challenge.

Curious to see what we end up with.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So what happened to the Scorchers DLC for Rage?

I get the impression that designing levels for Rage could be a nightmare if you want to come close to matching id's work on it. The discreet texturing seems like quite a challenge.

Curious to see what we end up with.

This is an older video showing off the level editor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlfvJtKAco

But texturing seems quite the opposite, actually. There's a lot of stamp styled pasting, multilayering and auto blending present in the editor. But it seems like Carmack pit a lot of effort into making this level editor as user friendly as possible. He also talks about the editor having networking, meaning that multiple artists can work and on the same map at once in real time.

Stewox

Banned
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/260529465636040704

Good and yes, you did.

edit

As a reminder Tim Willits initially said the game will ship with them.. on launch day.. a year ago.. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/05/rage-to-ship-with-full-level-editor-id-studio/

HOLY YES!!! This made my day! It's good to see he's acqnowledging the wait. We've been so much over there at bethesda forums so many talk about mod tools delayind and broken promis after promis i just dropped it since april.

I would post this immediately if I had catched it, thanks OP for paying attention as well, i had a little cold and virus from infection and was sluggish for a couple of days including today whole morning ... didn't even turn on PC until now.

This is an older video showing off the level editor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlfvJtKAco

But texturing seems quite the opposite, actually. There's a lot of stamp styled pasting and auto blending present in the editor. But it seems like Carmack pit a lot of effort into making this level editor as user friendly as possible. He also talks about the editor having networking, meaning that multiple artists can work and on the same map at once in real time.

But they won't ship the TBs of source art, so one would have to make his own stamps I guess. http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editor...cs-Ray-Tracing-Voxels-and-more/Transcr?page=1

Carmack said:
For the user community, all of our tools are only available in the 64 bit version. We ship the 32 bit version that we treat as a sort of console platform. We will be releasing the 64 bit version after the fact, but honestly there is going to be a limit to what people can do with it because there is so much infrastructure that goes into building a MegaTextured world. I suspect that there will be one or two people who go through the trouble to figure out how to really build a MegaTextured world, or do some of the stamping effects on there. Mostly it will be for changing game play stuff. You can set up new layers, build a new multi-player layout, and build a nightmare difficulty level going through it. Unfortunately, there is a terabyte of source art that goes into building the game and we are certainly not going to be pushing all that out for download.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

No, it's not, because VG Chartz is unreliable.

Stewox

Banned
Not to sound like a douche, but does anyone really care?

Yes, i indcluding some other dedicated guys on bethesda forums were quite pissed by the delaying from month to month, there was some defections but they could come back, but I said i will not quit caring completely, I just said i will quit posting,talking visiting or focusing anything bethesda-related because it was depressing to listen to their marketing-riden responses which became empty promises, ("oh something will happen next week" nothing happens, "something will happen next month" nothing happens "something will happen in april" nothing happens). But I never quit when it will come out because I know it'll be all great in the end.

Also take this to OP, stuff from official tech video interviews:

Screenshots of ID Studio (juicy feature sneak peak)
http://stewox2.shrani.si/?ID+Studio+Previews
(blue arrow right bottom corner to scroll more images)

The most important feature for art may be that you have ability to paint surfaces
Second most important thing is, adding assets, materials, textures, placing objects on the map does not produce any random bugs, possible crashes, and does not have performance impact at all(while playing baked game).

Edit: yes, i forgot to say pics are old, but also the only ones.

But they won't ship the TBs of source art, so one would have to make his own stamps I guess. http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editor...cs-Ray-Tracing-Voxels-and-more/Transcr?page=1

Ahh, I see what you mean. yeah they aren't including the source textures, just the "baked together" final textures, so making new assets will be a bit of a pain. I still think there are plenty of resources on the net to come up with some half-decent stuff, but yeah. I guess I can see that as being an issue now.

Valkyr47

Banned
You know, Carmack is such a smart guy, and with Tim willits and several other great creative leads at ID, i would NEVER count them out

still depressing to see that RAGE didnt catch on

Even though most will flame me for playing what is probably the inferior version, i freakin LOVE RAGE on the xbox 360

probably my fav shooter this gen, def. top 5 material

I love the amazing skyboxes and texture work, that game moves so smooth and fast with no hiccups. Theres just something about the RAGE engine that seems so... pure. They didnt focus on ridiculous amounts of smoke and mirrors, bump mapping, its not all just brown and dirty, things arent overly shiny. Its just so nice and sharp looking and for a game mostly set in post apocalyptic desert, very colorful and interesting to look at. Im telling you right now the skyboxes and distance shots are the best this medium has ever seen. I literally sit there and just look off into the distance and admire the attention to detail, and how it looks like ID hand painted all the scenes.

Sure texture streaming is a bit of a problem but oh well, for what appears to be 60fps, its worth it

Great voice acting, the characters convey so much emotion in their animations, its fantastic. I CARED about Dan and several other characters in wellspring and outtrigger settlement.

The way the enemies swing from overhangs and lumber towards you, always dodging shots at last minute, they seem so smart and cunning in the way they move.

Yeah ID didnt break the mold, game design wise its been done before, but nobody does corridor shooting like ID does, and thats still the same case here. I dont need a revolution in FPS design, i just need a solid game that plays really well and shows a developer who actually gives a shit about the final quality of the product, and this just oozes that

ending sucked, but if they ever announced RAGE 2 (wont happen) i would purchase day 1

and i eagerly anticipate Doom 4.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They're not unreliable, they're fiction.

Pretty much.

VGC's sister site said:
Currently, FADE publishes monthly and annual reports for the following platforms:

Xbox Live Arcade
Nintendo WiiWare & Virtual Console
Playstation Network
Smartphones (iPhone, Android, BlackBerry App World, Windows Marketplace for Mobile)
Steam

It must be nice having every individual publisher on Steam handing you monthly and annual sales data, because Valve surely wouldn't give it up!

Stewox

Banned
^I do.

I still have Rage installed :p

Same here ... I have lots of space, I don't see what holding them from releasing 1TB Raw Texture Art Source :/ Put it on steam, they will have to handle/maintain the networking/distribution side of things, and even that, it's not like a million ppl will download it at the same time anyways.

But the problem may be we would need 192GB RAM machines to mod the game with that source and bake to a ~150GB Game would take ... time, at home. Maybe that's their reason, the only reason I can see right now.

But I was okay if they just release the stock game assets already-baked to "100GB plus something" it would have been all great.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
During Rage's development:

"The rest of the game is coming real soon now. I hope. Sigh. We've made poor decisions all year. Print the game and ship it now."

John...

John.

You're smarter than this. You really are. Stop fucking around.

Miker

During Rage's development:

"The rest of the game is coming real soon now. I hope. Sigh. We've made poor decisions all year. Print the game and ship it now."

John...

John.

You're smarter than this. You really are. Stop fucking around.

He really is a goddamn technical genius, though - I just wish id had some more design talent laying around. One Carmack game per gen (and not a great one at that) is a sad thought.

Glass Rebel

Every time RAGE comes up I wonder if I've played the same game and whether those people who don't like it come from a console or PC background. I understand not liking the driving sections (I did) but I just can't imagine any fan of pre-COD FPS not liking the rest.

Vlodril

Every time RAGE comes up I wonder if I've played the same game and whether those people who don't like it come from a console or PC background. I understand not liking the driving sections (I did) but I just can't imagine any fan of pre-COD FPS not liking the rest.

I thought the game was good as well. Still wish they went all the way with the rpg elements. Also that ending..

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Grew up on PC games.

Rage is a mediocre corridor shooter BUT without labirints which are essential for corridor shooters in order to be great.

Gravijah

i'm surprised people dislike the driving so much. nice arcadey feel to it.

Grew up on PC games.

Rage is a mediocre corridor shooter BUT without labirints which are essential for corridor shooters in order to be great.

i can't think of any games where the core shooting mechanics are better than RAGE this gen. maybe FEAR 1?

Scrabble

I know I'm in the internet minority but I loved Rage. The shooting mechanics are some of the best in a shooter and enemy hit reactions and animations are unmatched and with really good a.i as well. I really think the only reason this game is as hated as it is is because of the amd fuck up at launch. Thankfully I have nvidia so I never had those problems and the game looks incredible.

Glass Rebel

Grew up on PC games.

see, I'd be hard pressed to think of a game in the last 3 years that handled enemy encounters better than RAGE. I was constantly switching between weapons, wielding wingsticks like a mofo, flanking enemies, getting flanked in return... really having a blast. I didn't mind it having linear levels at all.

i can't think of any games where the core shooting mechanics are better than RAGE this gen. maybe FEAR 1?

your opinions

why are they so good

I know I'm in the internet minority but I loved Rage. The shooting mechanics are some of the best in a shooter and enemy hit reactions and animations are unmatched and with really good a.i as well. I really think the only reason this game is as hated as it is is because of the amd fuck up at launch. Thankfully I have nvidia so I never had those problems and the game looks incredible.

you're among friends here, don't worry

haikira

So there's a chance someone will create an ending for me?

joking aside. I actually had a blast with Rage. But the ending, or lack thereof, left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd definitely bite on a post ending DLC pack though.

Curious to see what comes of the mod tools. I find it hard to imagine them being easy to use, due to the texture stuff. Then again, that's a very uneducated guess from me.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Biggest mistake they ever made was not making Rage MP the spiritual successor to Quake 3 Multiplayer. Why they are so adamant about focusing only on single player mode when that was never their bread and butter?

They should be working on Quake 5 right now with an amazing multiplayer component. With Esports being so huge right they are missing their opportunity.

I remember when iD was pretty much the epitome of top-shelf developer.

They forgot who their fans were.

Sorry, it's a speculation based on first month sales and similar (new IP) titles. 550k for first month is pretty decent for new IP. Brink sold like 400k copies in first month in NA and somehow it sold 2.5 millions lifetime.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/59285/ids-john-carmack-explains-zenimax

60 is the number of core Rage team.

Rage was practically their only significant source of income so it would have had to prop up the whole company, not just the team. Also, Brink was selling for $20 like a month after release because it flopped pretty bad and has been routinely selling for $5-$10 from digital retailers. Also, I still don't remotely believe that 2.5 million figure unless maybe it was total shipped + digital copies. Source?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the actual shooting of RAGE and the aesthetic was pretty cool.

I think the engine (or how they used it) is garbage, though. All those low-res textures, the texture popping, and the complete absence of dynamic lighting? Yuck.

Kilrathi

I liked Rage, despite all the problems the game had at launch on the PC(it ran poorly on my Sandy bridge and 580GTX rig, until I tweak it.). The magic circle worked almost for the whole game expect when you ran into some of those ugly textures, and the ending(Um how did you not storyboard a ending). All the different game modes blended well together. The mechanics the shooting, driving on a core level worked extremely well. The only problem I had with the game was the level design, while solid didn't seem to push the tech enough(the outdoor sections did the indoor not so much).

Now I would love to get my hands on this tool set (I can do decent coding,art work, and modeling, but my biggest strength is putting them all together and making it work in level design). The first thing I would need to get is the metric of units that idTech5 uses so I can start to design a top down view of the level on paper.

Top Bottom