• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNBC: US military has launched more than 50 missiles aimed at Syria: NBC News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how Trump would've reacted on Saudi's intervention in Bahrain and invasion of Yemen. Or when pictures show dead kids whenever Israel bombs Gaza next...

He wouldn't have done anything. Trump only cares about his public perception.

Pryce

I like how this was done by a Republican president with plenty of Republican support and you still somehow find a way to throw shade at the liberals. It must be confusing to see both sides in everything.

Why should liberals not be blasted for supporting this?

I think the question is actually why shouldn't Republicans?
They should be, but the officials we want in power should probably also be opposed to this. We want Republicans to lose power because their agenda is evil, but if there's bipartisan support for parts of that evil agenda should be even more concerning. If voting Democratic in future elections means supporting the same foreign policy agenda as the Republicans, that's worse than Republicans having a monopoly on evil!

Iolo

Man, literally the only thing that has gotten the most praise-thirsty president of all time praise from all around is bombing another country. This will definitely end well

zethren

Banned
Spicey

But before this, bullets and mortars were A-OK?

Well you see, chemical weapons are illegal and guns and bullets are not. So kids dying to bullets doesn't bother them because "MUH GUNS".

This is the only reason I can think of, but either way fuck these people. You can't turn their refugees away and then later on claim compassion by uselessly bombing an airfield.

rambis

Banned
Man, literally the only thing that has gotten the most praise-thirsty president of all time praise from all around is bombing another country. This will definitely end well
TBH if I was president of another country, I would gladly let this idiot waste Americas money on overpriced bombers and missles. Trump seems like the type to get finessed easily as long as he gets to say he won.

Well you see, chemical weapons are illegal and guns and bullets are not. So kids dying to bullets doesn't bother them because "MUH GUNS".

This is the only reason I can think of, but either way fuck these people. You can't turn their refugees away and then later on claim compassion by uselessly bombing an airfield.

Keep in mind USA has fought for the last 30 years against UN banning depleted uranium lol

Biske

Funny you should mention that:

@JohnJHarwood
WH spox walking back Spicer suggestion that barrel bomb would trigger US military response: "Nothing has changed in our posture."​

Barrel bombs are still a-ok.

I guess they are banking on hopes that there will be no more chemical attacks so they can talk tough without fear.

But they can't do that with Barrel bombs cause that shit is happening all the fucking time.

Fucking hell.

pigeon

Banned
They should be, but the officials we want in power should probably also be opposed to this. We want Republicans to lose power because their agenda is evil, but if there's bipartisan support for parts of that evil agenda should be even more concerning. If voting Democratic in future elections means supporting the same foreign policy agenda as the Republicans, that's worse than Republicans having a monopoly on evil!

I totally agree with this, and I'm very frustrated with the Dems who support this, along with the various Obama-era warhawks who are happy just to finally get their way. I think there's a good reason Obama hesitated to pull the trigger.

My point was just the flip side of this. We should yell at the Democrats, but don't forget that the Republicans still deserve condemnation for always being terrible.

No, you started with saying that this wasn't even a civil war, going on about how Israel and Saudi Arabia were responsible for it all.

Israel, Saudi Arabia, the US, Qatar, Turkey are responsible for arming and supporting the rebels that have carried out this "civil war", for the sole purpose of toppling Assad for their own respective/intermingled interests... NOT because they particularly care for the Syrian people. That much should be obvious to everyone. While this latest gas attack could be a Trump/Russia diversion, it could also be the West/Arab cabal dangling the carrot for Trump to FINALLY step in to help the jihadist Sunni rebels that the Saudis, Israel, and Qatar keep hoping will topple Assad. From the reaction of every neocon and every warmongering media pundit, I'm still leaning towards the latter explanation.

Then you brought in the list of seven countries, bringing that in as some kind of proof that this was a large plan all along, ignoring a ton of events in the region, including the one that sparked the whole Arab Spring in the first place.

Ton of events happened (including their flop in Iraq, which likely put a ding on their 5-year plan to topple all 7 countries), and the targeting of Iraq, Libya, Syria, Sudan, Lebanon, Somalia, and ultimately Iran since before 9/11 is an established fact. How they went about it, ultimately co-opting the Arab Spring for their purposes (in Libya, Egypt, Bahrain, Syria) has been up in the air. The West/Arab cabal has been looking for an excuse for the US to FINALLY lead the way in toppling Assad, and the 2013 false-flag gas attack failed to do the job. New president in the US? why not try the same thing again? This is one possibility, and the entire DC establishment/DC Media is doing the gung-ho warmongering sales job to finally push us into this war. Is it just to get rid of Assad? ask the Syrian people. Is it just to topple him so that Sunni jihadist rebels take over the country? Ask the Syrian people. We didn't ask the Iraqi people, and they paid (and continue to pay) dearly.

Have we forgotten that the sociopath cheerleaders for all of this (Cheney, Wolfowitz, Henry Kissinger, Kristol, and the rest of the warmongers) are still around behind the scenes?

You say they are all "clearly connected" but can't tell me how Tunisia - the one that started it all - fits in that narrative. So excuse me for missing the clear connection.

The connection is that whoever took power in those countries is either Sunni-aligned for the better influence of Saudi Arabia (and Israel by proxy), and the US/Europe. Would it be out of the norm for powers to capitalize on popular protests to carry out coups to install friendly people in power?

Trump is either a certified puppet of the neocons who have been forging their ME agenda for decades, or he is a showman putting a con along with Russia/Assad. Until I see shots fired between Americans and Russians, I'm open to this being a diversion, but it is true to say that the neocons, the Saudis, Israel, Qatar, Turkey, and the jihadist rebels are likely foaming at the mouth at the prospects of having their plans finally put into motion.

I think he is still too inept and rash (and ultimately easy to blackmail), and he is not good at 4D chess.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Trump lacks the intelligence, understanding, empathy, and grasp of geopolitics to do anything positive or productive about Syria. It's like letting a sociopathic arsonist with a lighter try to clean up a fire hazard.

El tiger wraps his posts in some conspiracy theory drivel but he is correct in that all of this benefits Saudi, and most of the conflict in that region can be tied back to an ugly hateful animosity between Iran and Saudi as they both struggles to claim more power in the region.

Russia Says It Won't Shoot Down Any U.S. Missiles Launched at Syrian Government
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/rus...ture-us-airstrikes-at-syrian-government-57686
The head of the Russian Federation Council’s Defense and Security Committee says Russian armed forces based in Syria will not attempt to intercept any American missiles, if Washington orders another airstrike.

On Monday, Russian Senator Viktor Ozerov told the news agency Interfax, “Our armed forces are in Syria to fight terrorism — not to defend against external threats. That’s not our mandate, and we’re not going to intercept anything,” he said, adding that the Syrian military still has every legal right to try to shoot down the missiles.
Responding to news that the U.S. might launch more airstrikes against the Syrian government, if more chemical weapons are used, Ozerov called the threat “absurd,” explaining that “Damascus has no chemical weapons.”

HotHamBoy

The President recalled that his decision to launch 59 Tomahawk missiles at a Syrian air base last Thursday — retribution for a suspected chemical attack on a rebel-held city — was made while he was having dessert with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

“We're now having dessert, and we had the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you've ever seen,” Trump said. "And President Xi was enjoying it."

That’s when Trump said he was told the missiles were ready to launch and he gave the order.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-james-comey-good-hillary-clinton-article-1.3046663

nGTUr69.gif

Kensation

*tin foil hat time*

Trump had a mouth-full of delicious chocolate cake and was not provided with a tall glass of milk, so when he told the Chinese president that he "loves lunch with officials", a terrible misunderstanding occurred.

I'm predisposed to disbelieving anything a US administration says about an Arab state when it comes to using pretext as a justification for military action. Having said that, the Russians need to support their counter claim of "chemical storage units" at the site with evidence because they can only run on the Iraq 2.0 narrative for so long.

Was the chocolate cake from Walthamstow UK?

Anyway Tillerson went to Moscow after his G7 trip to talk about Assad with Putin.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/12/rex-tillerson-russia-moscow-trip-syria-attack

This is coming after Tiller stated:
Why U.S. Taxpayers Should Care About Ukraine during the G7 meeting in Italy on which Italy barred the G7 from discussing sanctions of Russia.

What is interesting about this is that before the Strike occurred, Trump also met with King Abdullah of jordan were Trump stated that his views on Assad had changed very much.

Via an interview the King of Jordan stated that he recommended to Trump that:

Would be interesting if a trade happened and what that would mean for the future of North Eastern Europe.

I wonder how Trump would've reacted on Saudi's intervention in Bahrain and invasion of Yemen. Or when pictures show dead kids whenever Israel bombs Gaza next...

He did react in a way - he sold them more bombs. The US is a willing participant in all the atrocities committed by Saudi Arabia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom