• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

andycapps

I don't see it, particularly on the point of Pruitt wanting "total control."

If anything, I would expect Turner to be promoted to DC, assuming Smart leaves.

I think the idea being that if he can't have total control at UGA then he'd rather go work at UGA where he'd have more of a hand in the defense than with Smart being at UGA? It's an interesting scenario though with musical chairs between Bama and UGA being so frequent lately, though it's been one way up until now.

Doesn't help that the University is private, but it lacks the national prestige of being perceived as a top flight school. You don't hear people saying oh I got to choose between Northwestern, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, oh and Miami. At least not nationally.

It also isn't affiliated with anything so it's not like oh it's say idk a Catholic school so it's pulling in Catholic students.

I mean this is the exact same problem USC had, they're a private university that prior to Stephen Sample was known entirely for their Football program and nothing else.

Now they like to brag that no school has moved up higher and faster in the academic rankings than they have in the past 15+ years but even locally their reputation as the "University of Second Choice/Spoiled Children" has been slow to dissipate.

The players seem pretty happy: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14260881

Kacar

Seems more likely that Ohio State faces Stanford in the Rose Bowl than ND in the Fiesta right?

No matter who wins MSU/Iowa we will be above them and the highest outside of the playoff is automatically taken for the Rose.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Chip Towers and Seth Emerson at the AJC posted an article just now and brought up an interesting idea. Smart is likely the guy at UGA, but keeping Pruitt seems unlikely given Pruitt wanting total control. They think it more likely that Smart comes, coaches through SECCG and any subsequent games while splitting time in Athens, and Pruitt returns to be DC for Saban at Bama.
I would be SHOCKED if Pruitt returned to Alabama. By all accounts, those bridges have been burned.
I mean this is the exact same problem USC had, they're a private university that prior to Stephen Sample was known entirely for their Football program and nothing else.

Now they like to brag that no school has moved up higher and faster in the academic rankings than they have in the past 15+ years but even locally their reputation as the "University of Second Choice/Spoiled Children" has been slow to dissipate.

The players seem pretty happy: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14260881
Guaranteed for 5 years seems a big step up from 3 years with an option for 2. I do agree that it is probably better for recruiting to have a guaranteed 5 year contract.

Balphon

I don't know, if Stanford is any indication you can do both :p

Stanford has a larger endowment than every other school in the conference combined.

It's pretty much an exception-proves-the-rule situation. And Stanford's athletic success in non-individual sports is highly cyclical.

Seems more likely that Ohio State faces Stanford in the Rose Bowl than ND in the Fiesta right?

No matter who wins MSU/Iowa we will be above them and the highest outside of the playoff is automatically taken for the Rose.

Unless Stanford loses the CCG, yeah. Only result of that will be a reshuffling of the Pac's bowl order though.

ag-my001

Just saw the Navy uniforms for the Army game. The helmets are nice, but I think they should put "Damn the Torpedoes" on the pant sides full time.

Sucks that Iowa can go undefeated in the regular season and still go to a second tier bowl.

andycapps

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The post I made was in jest, but even funnier is the fact that the play is actually a single go route and if the guy isn't open the QB just throws it away.

I was really just looking for an excuse to post that article that I forgot to post when I first saw it a while back.

ryseing

I doubt that they do, but with the potential candidates for B12 expansion being pretty unimpressive and the need to get back a championship game so pressing, they're almost certainly going to have to add another Texas program.

It's just too easy of an option for it not to happen.

Memphis and UCF would be the easy adds. Hell, take a look at ECU or Colorado State. CSU's getting ready to open that nice new stadium.

There's a decent number of options without having to stay in the state.

I'm assuming academics aren't a priority.

What fans?

I know you're joking, but there was a great piece on SB Nation about Uncle Luke and the impact he's had on the program that's worth a read.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just saw a report that Mizzou will/has declined a bowl invitation. They were in line to get one based on APR.

Yep.

While I like the honesty of them not wanting to go to a bowl game with a losing record (especially a 2 games below .500 record), and I figure that maybe Pinkel just wants to be done now and not in a few weeks, Mizzou's players are losing 10-15 days of practice time, time to prepare for next year better.

So Bosa wins Def Linemen of the year but Nassib of Penn St wins DPOTY in the B1G? How does that make any sense.

Why hasn't an OSU coach won the BIG coach of the year reward since 1979?

1) politics- definitely plays a part.

2) expectations- using Kill's reward as an example (not to say he didn't deserve his reward, he did)

People expected this from Urban a 10+ win season and things like that.

People did not expect jerry to do what he did last year at Minny or what he did in general.

Why hasn't an OSU coach won the BIG coach of the year reward since 1979?

1) politics- definitely plays a part.

2) expectations- using Kill's reward as an example (not to say he didn't deserve his reward, he did)

People expected this from Urban a 10+ win season and things like that.

People did not expect jerry to do what he did last year at Minny or what he did in general.

I have no problem with Nassib winning, its just odd that a guy who plays the same position is the best Dline men but the guy he finishes ahead of it DPOTY

andycapps

5 schools including Maryland contacted Richt about a job today. Seems like Sakerlina was one of them according to Football Scoop.

Is Bosa still going to be a top 3 draft pick?

I really only watched the game against MSU and he committed a lot of penalties that game. The commentator said it had been a problem all season with him.

UGA might not be able to wait until next Monday to announce Smart. Eason has an official at Florida tomorrow.

Some dude on sportscenter this morning (night in the US) said that he thought Georgia was a top3 coaching gig in all of college football.

Do UGA fans think this? He was a former QB of Georgia I think.

Some dude on sportscenter this morning (night in the US) said that he thought Georgia was a top3 coaching gig in all of college football.

Do UGA fans think this? He was a former QB of Georgia I think.

Oh gracious.

No sane, reasonable person would have Georgia top 3. Top 10? Probably. 3? No.

So of course someone on ESPN would say it.

Oh gracious.

No sane, reasonable person would have Georgia top 3. Top 10? Probably. 3? No.

So of course someone on ESPN would say it.

yeah one of the other guys on the panel said "are you serious?" and he replied "definitely top 5, and I argue top 3".

Facilities, resources, and local talent pool were his reasons.

Top 3? No way. Definitely top ten. Athens is super nice.

Yeah, Athens was another reason he rates it highly.

It was Danny kannel. He was a QB at FSU.

yeah that's him:

Kanell150200.jpg

It mustve been the other host addressing him as a "former QB" that I took it to mean he was at UGA. Come to think about it from Randolph's post, they mustve said "former QB with Richt" which had me to believe he was from UGA.

Yeah, Athens was another reason he rates it highly.

yeah that's him:

Kanell150200.jpg

It mustve been the other host addressing him as a "former QB" that I took it to mean he was at UGA. Come to think about it from Randolph's post, they mustve said "former QB with Richt" which had me to believe he was from UGA.

I would rather stand in front of Lou Holtz while he says the seashells tongue twister instead of listening to Kanell spew BS for ten seconds.

andycapps

yeah one of the other guys on the panel said "are you serious?" and he replied "definitely top 5, and I argue top 3".

Facilities, resources, and local talent pool were his reasons.
Dan Wolken thinks it's the top job in CFB. I'd probably put it top 5 due to what Kanell said, it's not the top job and I don't think it's too 3 either.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Georgia is a fine job, but I'd put it behind Michigan, Ohio State, SoCal and Georgia Tech, in that order.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
On the basis of recruiting hotbed, it's better than being at OSU or Michigan. The problem lies in the fact that Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and Auburn surround them, as well as being poached from said northern aggressors.

But still, the state has loads of talent, and is centrally located with other states that are loaded with talent.

On facilities and history, it's farther behind, maybe not top 10, but top 15.

Top Bottom