• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Anyone here happen to have seen Interstellar at Cinemark 17 imax? I want to see it soon and am curious how the audio was. Did you happen to notice the audio troubles that some theatres are apparently having? Music drowning dialogue, ear killing bass, etc.

I still see it there since it's the only 70mm imax in Dallas. Just want to know what to expect so I won't be too irritated. Still gonna choose the picture quality over audio since I've never seen 70mm imax.

NR1

Anyone here happen to have seen Interstellar at Cinemark 17 imax? I want to see it soon and am curious how the audio was. Did you happen to notice the audio troubles that some theatres are apparently having? Music drowning dialogue, ear killing bass, etc.

I still see it there since it's the only 70mm imax in Dallas. Just want to know what to expect so I won't be too irritated. Still gonna choose the picture quality over audio since I've never seen 70mm imax.

Not sure, but I saw it at the Studio Movie Grill in Richardson on Spring Valley and it had the audio problems that have been reported.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Im seeing it next weekend there. I'll let you know if you are still interested at that time.

Zebra

Rendering of development proposals for 'Dallas Midtown'

edxSJnU.jpg
(Rendering Scott Beck/OMNIPLAN/Dallas Morning News)
'Developer says Dallas Midtown will begin taking shape on Valley View Center site in 2015'

This is at 635 and the Dallas North Tollway, just behind the Galleria. They're going to demolish Valley View (finally) and put this on it.

This will certainly be nice for the area and the people living there, but it's hard for me to get too excited by dense developments so far from downtown. Dallas would be such a more vibrant city if we pushed our urban developments more towards the common core of downtown.

I just want to grab Legacy in Plano, Las Colinas, and far north Dallas and push them downtown. Let the burbs be the burbs. We have spread ourselves out too much.
Alas, Dallas is built on sprawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9RuaB3c9FQ

woodchuck

I saw it there yesterday. I had no problems with the audio

What the hell is Fort Worth thinking building an arena :/

I know private donations are supposed to cover half of the building costs but rodeo shows aren't enough to keep that thing running and maintained.

Not to mention Jerry's world has been trying to attract those shows over there during the off season.

Hate to post again when I was the last person to post but is it me or does there seem to be an increase in poverty/drifters lately?

I had to go to Plano earlier today for work and noticed quite a few drifters around which I hardly ever see around there. I was at 75 near spring creek and park/parker. They weren't giving anyone any problems or anything, it's just concerning.

I don't know I hear everyone talk about all the growth and development here, the big Nebraska Furniture Mart in the Colony. All these other shops opening up in the suburbs, and it all seems like a big fucking bubble to me. I guess I'm just rambling.

NR1

Hate to post again when I was the last person to post but is it me or does there seem to be an increase in poverty/drifters lately?

I had to go to Plano earlier today for work and noticed quite a few drifters around which I hardly ever see around there. I was at 75 near spring creek and park/parker. They weren't giving anyone any problems or anything, it's just concerning.

I don't know I hear everyone talk about all the growth and development here, the big Nebraska Furniture Mart in the Colony. All these other shops opening up in the suburbs, and it all seems like a big fucking bubble to me. I guess I'm just rambling.

I have noticed a few in that area myself. There is actually a large black woman that lives under the Bonnie View Road overpass bridge along I20 in South Dallas that has recently appeared. Every time I'm down that way I see her sleeping in a sleeping bag on the steep concrete slope on the eastbound side with her camp further up under the bridge cover with a tarp. Crazy.

I went to Seattle in September, and I can tell you that Dallas is in great shape compared to them. Homeless living everywhere. Under ever bridge. In all the serrounding neighborhoods. The public parks. The highway medians. Allyways and sidewalks. Everywhere. Really sad.

MickD

Saw Interstellar at the Cinemark 17 Imax. Only issue was the screen was filthy. My gf thought she saw a bird in the corner.. but it was a smudge.

I live right where you were, and there's a couple drifters only in that area I think (especially the spring Creek exit)

I have no idea why but there are trailer homes on the east side of 75 there

Slacker

Wow didn't feel it up north of town in Plano. Looks like it was a 3.3.

DALLAS -- There's unpredictable Texas weather, and then there's an earthquake in Dallas.

News 8 has confirmed that it was a 3.3 magnitude earthquake that shook the DFW area at 9:17 p.m. Saturday night. The epicenter was five kilometers east-northeast of Irving, TX, according to the United States Geological survey.

Many viewers from around the area reached out on Twitter, reporting shakes and rattling china, but no serious damage.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The wife and I were up playing borderlands and our whole appartment shook! We live in Valley Ranch.
It was very quick, we at first thought something happen at the air port.

I'm close to 161 and I-30 and didn't feel a thing.

Then again, I was too busy biting my nails watching the Mavs lose against the Rockets.

Hamhock

Neo Member
I felt it! We had just walked into a bowling alley so I thought maybe someone had thrown a bowling ball straight up or something weird like that. There was another one near Irving a few months back.

Maitiú

I live in Irving and have felt neither of these! Though tonight I was at work in the lab 7 miles west of there. None of my 6 other lab mates noticed anything.

Zebra

OK I'm currently in Irving and I definitely felt an earthquake. So long DFW!

*airplane.jpg

I felt it too! I think the earth is preparing to swallow us up.
So what is that, the fourth in the past week?

Edit: Up to five now.

Zebra

From a high of 81 today to a high of 45 tomorrow.
Well It was nice wearing a t-shirt today.

So, for whatever reason, I hadn't gotten around to checking out the Continental Avenue pedestrian bridge conversion they opened a few months ago until now. It's a pretty decent place to chill and enjoy the view.

I'm pleased with Dallas' efforts to make the Trinity river something to appreciate. The Trinity Skyline trail is really great right now with all of the foliage changing colors.

I know they're also working on putting a few man-made ponds inside the levees as well.

I'm pleased with Dallas' efforts to make the Trinity river something to appreciate. The Trinity Skyline trail is really great right now with all of the foliage changing colors.

I know they're also working on putting a few man-made ponds inside the levees as well.

This is actually pretty cool. I like bike/hiking paths and the close locality will be a nice addition.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I live right where you were, and there's a couple drifters only in that area I think (especially the spring Creek exit)

I have no idea why but there are trailer homes on the east side of 75 there
I always see one at the Parker exit off 75.

But then again I work in Garland so I'm used to seeing them.

Yay for protesting.

Got stuck on 35 trying to get on Woodall Rogers for a while since those damn assholes got on the highway and DPD had to come in and block everything.

I don't mind the protesting, I understand why they're doing it, but goddamn... you cannot get on the fncking highway and stop everything. Not only do they look like assholes, they're just trying to undermine their cause.

Heading into Richardson this weekend to see the lights. It's one of my favorite traditions and it'll be the first time I've done it in 4 years. I can't wait to share this with my son.

You know I really think Schlotsky's is one of Texas' best kept secrets for a food chain. The original is so damn good, it's always consistently good as well.

Dat sourdough bread.

UcAAehj.jpg

Slacker

Heading into Richardson this weekend to see the lights. It's one of my favorite traditions and it'll be the first time I've done it in 4 years. I can't wait to share this with my son.

Where are you going specifically? Santa's Village at the library? That's always good fun. I'll hopefully find time to get out there with the kids this year too.

Where are you going specifically? Santa's Village at the library? That's always good fun. I'll hopefully find time to get out there with the kids this year too.

Went over the weekend. I did not expect it to be so crowded. Waited in line to see santa. Then like 5 indian families cut in front of us at the last minute. It kinda soured the entire thing.

Zebra

Folks, we have a real arcade again.

Round1 just opened in The Parks at Arlington. Half of the arcade is your typical ticket machine games, but the other half is mostly japanese cabinets.

They also have half a dozen purikura photobooths, some karaoke rooms, bowling alleys, pool tables and table tennis.

Go go go. I don't want to lose this place like we lost Gameworks.

Edit: It's also open until 2AM every day which is great. I'm going to take some pictures next time I go which will be soon.

Round1 just opened in The Parks at Arlington. Half of the arcade is your typical ticket machine games, but the other half is mostly japanese cabinets.

That place is finally open?!

I might actually stop by in there tomorrow since I still have a couple of things to get for Christmas.

Great the day I come back home in Garland for Christmas, it opens...

I'll definitely spend my hard earned cash there when I go back to uni.

They also have half a dozen purikura photobooths, some karaoke rooms, bowling alleys, pool tables and table tennis.

Edit: It's also open until 2AM every day which is great. I'm going to take some pictures next time I go which will be soon.

Nice. Will have to take my son.

Delio

Oh crap that sounds like my kind of place. I'll have to swing by there one of these days.

Schlep

Sucks having to drive to Arlington for places like Round1 and Alley Cats now that Lucky Strike closed. Arlington feels so far away that the Round1 at Puente Hills feels like less of a hassle, despite having to go work in my office to get there.

cHaotix8

I went to the Round One grand opening, it was pretty fun! They had Tekken Tag Tournament on free play which was cool. Initial D was swamped though, didn't get to try it out.

Top Bottom