• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

One of the shitty things about living in the burbs is it seems like rats keep getting worse and worse every year during the fall as development increases. 7-8 years ago I freaking never saw them during the fall but now I'm seeing more and more of them every year around this time. Fucking sucks ><

Vooduu

One of the shitty things about living in the burbs is it seems like rats keep getting worse and worse every year during the fall as development increases. 7-8 years ago I freaking never saw them during the fall but now I'm seeing more and more of them every year around this time. Fucking sucks ><

Damn wtf do you live at? lol

There was a thread on it last week lol. I have a golf course next to me that I suspect is a breeding ground for them.
Which course? Our backyard gets rats whenever we put out bird-feed, and the squirrels and rabbits are just as persistent.

Also, you're the only other GAFfer I know lives in McKinney (unless I'm not paying attention to this thread). Cool.

Anybody going to Index Fest tonight?

Or rather, where the hell do you park in Deep Ellum?? I've always taken DART from Westmoreland but I'm carrying a DSLR tonight to cover the event and I'm going alone. So I'd rather not leave my car in Oak Cliff and get jumped since I'm probably staying past midnight.

Right now my plan is to drive around and look for a paid lot and if I can't find one I'm getting my ass over to Victory Station and just get on the green line.

Any other suggestions?

eggwolio

Or rather, where the hell do you park in Deep Ellum?? I've always taken DART from Westmoreland but I'm carrying a DSLR tonight to cover the event and I'm going alone. So I'd rather not leave my car in Oak Cliff and get jumped since I'm probably staying past midnight.

Right now my plan is to drive around and look for a paid lot and if I can't find one I'm getting my ass over to Victory Station and just get on the green line.

Any other suggestions?

There's a decent amount of street parking and you can pay the meter from your phone if you don't have change.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Any other suggestions?

There's a lot near The Door/Club Dada.

woodchuck

Any other suggestions?

http://cravedfw.com/2014/08/08/deep-ellum-best-parking-guide-ever/

Thanks for the suggestions!

The concert area is actually off Gaston/Good Latimer/Elm, like right across The Prophet Bar so yeah I'm gonna check out that lot behind Trees and a couple of others I saw on GMaps.

And if all else fails, I'll just head to Victory or St. Paul station and take the green. $5 for the all day pass and I get to do some sightseeing of downtown so it works lol.

Which course? Our backyard gets rats whenever we put out bird-feed, and the squirrels and rabbits are just as persistent.

Also, you're the only other GAFfer I know lives in McKinney (unless I'm not paying attention to this thread). Cool.

Stonebridge golf course I think? I don't know the exact name of it but its in Stonebridge. Holy shit are the rabbits bad around here man.

Any other suggestions?

Didn't go to Index but I was in Deep Ellum last night. I always park on the lots around where Malcolm X and Elm intersect. They're not very big though so they fill up fast. If I was going, I'd join you. I went in 2012 and it was a blast.

I'm meeting up with friends on Lower Greenville tonight (starting at the Libertine). If anyone wants to come and hang out with us, you're welcome to it. Most of us met each other through Reddit (the actual r/dallas subreddit doesn't like us though) so being "from the internet" isn't an issue.

I'm meeting up with friends on Lower Greenville tonight (starting at the Libertine). If anyone wants to come and hang out with us, you're welcome to it. Most of us met each other through Reddit (the actual r/dallas subreddit doesn't like us though) so being "from the internet" isn't an issue.

Dang I wish I saw this while I was still at Index. My phone died during Mutemath's set and there was nowhere to charge my phone at the event. I would've stopped by for a drink or two.

And surprisingly I was able to find decent parking! I managed to park at Twisted Root's lot since there was a chick with a green vest and waving a flag, just like that CraveDFW guide said haha.

Anyway, Mutemath was fncking awesome! Same goes for The Get Up Kids and Chambers. But Mutemath takes the cake for having a fantastic live show. The energy they've got is amazing, it doesn't help that their songs are great too.

Also random observation about the Dallas music scene, especially the press side. Goddamn yo... I need to be a music photog here. The number of fiiiine girls that were part of the press were staggering.

So are we ever going to get out of a drought around here? I swear it feels like we've been under water restrictions for five years.

On the subject of that, are there any lakes that aren't reduced to puddles at this point? I remember driving past Lavon not to long ago and it's basically a marsh now. Aren't Rockwall and Texoma still at decent levels?

Schlep

Supposedly there's going to be a moderate El Nino this year which will generate a good amount of rain. My phone just went off with a Severe Thunderstorm Watch (Fort Worth). I'll believe it when I see it on both accounts.

NR1

Supposedly there's going to be a moderate El Nino this year which will generate a good amount of rain. My phone just went off with a Severe Thunderstorm Watch (Fort Worth). I'll believe it when I see it on both accounts.

They were saying on WFAA last night that the cold front would swing in at noon and that their would be storms all afternoon... I've been in the Carrollton/Plano/Richardson area since 9am, and I still see no rain. The wind kicked up really good and the temprature dropped a bit around 11am, but no rain. If I see nothing by 3pm, then I'm calling bull.

1a1enq4.jpg
Pouring buckets here in Denton.

EDIT: Hail just started. Great...

besada

Banned
Have any of you been exposed to Ebola?

A friend of mine was at a doctor's office in Dallas today when a woman threw up on him in the waiting room. We've been teasing him all afternoon that he has ebola. If I suddenly vanish, you'll know i wasn't a joke.

You guys be safe, and for fucks sake, please don't bring that shit up to Southern Oklahoma! Just make sure you're paranoid that everyone might have it, and avoid contact with people at all cost. And besada, it's written down now, we'll know what happened if you're gone for more than 21 days.

No hail, but I waded through the downpour apocalypse across the 121 tollway home. Miserable, but my car's not damaged.

First ebola, now a freak storm. Where are ye and your wisdom, Dallas Athena?

Holy fnck. That storm probably made up for the lack of crazy weather we had this past spring.

Almost all of the fences in my neighborhood were brought down, street signs bent 90 degrees, traffic lights poles bent and the lights themselves facing different directions.

Not to mention the traffic... driving from GP back to UTA normally takes me 15 minutes tops, just did it now and it took me a fncking hour. Pioneer/303 was practically stop and go from GP all the way to UTA. My car is also a stick too so I definitely did not miss leg day today.

Ugh and did I mention power is still out here in Arlington?

I've lived in DFW for 10 years now and this is probably the worst storm I've seen that didn't involve a tornado.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
My company lost full power for about 2 minutes. Freaky when a machine shop goes silent and dark.

Delio

Sitting without power for hours now. Estimated time is tomorrow evening which is crazy. Hope our food in the freezer makes it.

cHaotix8

Just arrived at my apartment at Firewheel mall after leaving from work at 4:45. It took nearly 5 hours for me to make it home since I take the DART, and all the trains were stopped for roughly 2.5-3 hours from passing through downtown where I work. Making my way home was a super long and confusing pain in the ass.

No hail, but I waded through the downpour apocalypse across the 121 tollway home. Miserable, but my car's not damaged.

First ebola, now a freak storm. Where are ye and your wisdom, Dallas Athena?

It's always a fun time driving down 121 when it's super windy. Whenever it's like that I think my xterra is gonna flip over half the time.......

fmpanda

Got to work in Lakewood this afternoon right before everything hit, we were without power from 4:15 to about 6:30, then everything came back on again. When I was driving home I noticed large chunks from Abrams & Gaston to NW Hwy still without power, pretty crazy stuffs.

Anyone else at dfw airport? My flight to Denver has been bumped, cancelled, then back on again. If you've got a flight in the morning you may still feel the repercussions.

Been moved from gate to gate and terminal to terminal

fmpanda

Anyone else at dfw airport? My flight to Denver has been bumped, cancelled, then back on again. If you've got a flight in the morning you may still feel the repercussions.

Been moved from gate to gate and terminal to terminal

That may happen a bunch, I was hearing it's supposed to storm again soon.

ChrisD

I've lived in DFW for 10 years now and this is probably the worst storm I've seen that didn't involve a tornado.

We were taking tornado actions just in case. It was cool seeing the initial gusts, because there really hasn't been anything like that for as long as my parents, who have lived here for over twenty-one years, remember. But after that it kicks in that this is the stuff that wreaks havoc. Had everyone shook up, thirty minutes after the fact.

The National Weather Service just posted an unofficial list of wind speeds in the last 18 hours: http://forecast.weather.gov/product...S&issuedby=FWD&version=1&format=CI&glossary=1

69mph was clocked over at Love Field, and the highest out of their coverage area. I assume this isn't accurate tough, there's no chance in hell Arlington didn't get hit by at least 60mph winds.

UTA is actually closed tomorrow since we still don't have power. But hell I ain't complainin, 3 day weekend ftw!

We were taking tornado actions just in case. It was cool seeing the initial gusts, because there really hasn't been anything like that for as long as my parents, who have lived here for over twenty-one years, remember. But after that it kicks in that this is the stuff that wreaks havoc. Had everyone shook up, thirty minutes after the fact.

Lol I was sitting inside playing guitar since my power was out.

But yeah, the damage is amazing. Half of Arlington is still out of power and reports say it might go on until tomorrow evening. It's freakin' crazy.

Mechazawa

Was really weird to see a full street of businesses that were straight up closed/pitch black at 9pm.

My heart goes out to you guys still without power though. Mine was only out for about 30 minutes to an hour, and even that was kinda miserable.

ChrisD

We got lucky with power. Our neighbors across the street, on the other hand, not so much. My dad and I saw as each one of their transformers popped. We had everything unplugged and lights turned off, though. Not sure if that actually had much of an effect, but it couldn't have hurt.

Yeah, our store did the same thing. The managers closed the doors and told everyone in the building to go to break room. Never actually had to do something lime that before, but it was cool because we didn't do anything for about 30 minutes

RoeBear

Was really weird to see a full street of businesses that were straight up closed/pitch black at 9pm.

My heart goes out to you guys still without power though. Mine was only out for about 30 minutes to an hour, and even that was kinda miserable.
At least it's cool tonight. I just opened my window cause when I woke up I was sweating. I'm night shift at work but they're also still without power, so nothing really to do but play vita.

Gusts of wrath yesterday, blue and calm today. I love Texas weather. Something was depending from a neighbor's roof last night, knocking against a palisade or something, which distracted me from reading. Fun times.

Yeah, low 60's/high 50's was awesome this morning when I was riding my bike. Rain + cooler weather is welcome in my book.

Sorry all you Arlington folk without power!

Arlington wouldn't have as many issues with power lines if they were able to replace their on ground power lines with underground lines. I rarely have outages in Mckinney simply because most of our shit is underground.

The thing about Arlington is the city government doesn't give a shit about anything outside of Jerry's World. The roads have been total garbage for years in that city and they never fix them, but you drive into Jerry's World and everything is almost perfect around it.

My brother has lived there for over a decade now and I have no idea why he's stayed there.

edit: I'm not even going to get into how for years Arlington was the largest city in the U.S without mass public transportation. I think they have a few buses that run now? (if anyone in Arlington could clarify this for me) Anyways they didn't want mass public transportation for fear that it would bring "poor or unsavory elements" into the city when all it did was make it difficult for people who live and were struggling who might need to use it. So in reality all it did was increase poverty for people who already live in the city and limit the jobs they could possibly take. It certainly didn't help the traffic situation they have either.

The thing about Arlington is the city government doesn't give a shit about anything outside of Jerry's World. The roads have been total garbage for years in that city and they never fix them, but you drive into Jerry's World and everything is almost perfect around it.

To be fair, anything above Division Street, south of I-20 and UTA are the only areas of concern for the city. It's fncking terrible to be honest.

And that bus system? It only has 3 destinations, one at UTA, another by the Death Star and the last one at Centreport/DFW Airport station. You can see it's purpose now can't you? It simply exists to get UTA kids to go to Cowboys/Rangers games and to get them kids over to Dallas.

That said, it's a great system for it's purpose. I've taken it a couple of times along with friends to downtown Dallas.

Top Bottom