• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

fmpanda

Blargh, stuck at work today, so I can't make the meetup. Y'all have mucho fun on Mario Kart. If any fellow Dallas peeps are going to Screwattack Con, we could do a meetup there for those who missed today.

NR1

image-125.jpg

image-124.jpg

image-123.jpg

image-122.jpg

image-121.jpg

image-120.jpg

image-119.jpg

Had a great time at the DFW-Age Meet up! We need to get together again soon!

y2dvd

Yay we finally got to shoot off a meet up lol. Still hungover but I had a lot of fun. That Pacman game is too good.

Zebra

Had fun! Credit to NR1 for arranging it. It was nice meeting yall.

SGC (July 11-13) will be at the Sheraton downtown. It should be easy to arrange some sort of meet up there, maybe at the Plaza of the Americas.

Sorry for missing out y'all. Me and my buds had a change of plans, not to mention a terrible hangover, so we ended up staying in Austin until the end of the Mexico game.

I'll be sure to make it to the next one though!

Very satisfied with how this meet-up turned out. Plaza of the Americas for SGC would be cool, but getting badges for the con itself is a whole different affair. I'll attend if we make plans around that time, though.

cHaotix8

Sorry guys, I ended up missing out as well. Forgot I had some sponsorship obligations today and had to go to another event. Definitely plan on making the next one though.

So I received an NTTA invoice today for $6k from 2009, but the fees were not added to the "account" until September of last year. The photo included with the invoice are of my plates/car, but the charges are from tolls I never used.

Just how screwed am I? I'll be heading to their offices tomorrow in hopes in clearing this up, but I heard nothing good when dealing with these people.

SEGA shut down GameWorks ages ago, no way it could have lasted with their financial situation. So now everyone's stuck playing Namco games, what a cosmic joke.

NR1

I had a great time at the Alamo Draft House this evening watching Team America! They provided everyone with a cap gun and Ammon to shoot at the screen whenever a terrorist or F.A.G. actor appeared, a mini American flag to wave whenever Team America saved the day, and an inflatable hammer to kill ourselves in case we got captured by terrorists. Never been in a theater and have everyone scream "F**k yeah" a hundred times throughout a film.

The entire audience was having a blast! This was my first time to the Alamo, and it won't be my last if their other special screenings are just as entertaining!

AMERICA, F**K YEAH!

image-129.jpg

image-130.jpg

Yeah, the Alamo's just about the most fun place you can go to watch movies in this area. The Angelika theaters have the best programming around, though...shame all the old people don't know when to shut up while they look classy watching Blue is the Warmest Color.

woodchuck

Yep, the Alamo draft house is fantastic and their special screenings are a blast. It was one of the biggest things I missed about Austin so I'm glad it's here now

Fooey to me. I looked up their website, they resemble Main Event more than anything else (bowling, billiards and a bar, which would get more traffic than the arcade anyway).

cHaotix8

I believe the ones in Cali have most of the recent fighting games. Not sure how that'll work with Japan now using the nesica game delivery system for new games and updates in arcades. :/

y2dvd

This is the most GAF image ever posted.

I even thought about wearing a fedora to complete the picture. Maybe next time..

Aww, I didn't notice the Team America showing. I should subscribe to this thread so I don't miss anything lol.

Stay away from Spoon in ktown. Overpriced korean food that wasn't very good.

Round 1 is supposed to be building an Arcade at the Parks Mall in Arlington. Definitely looking forward to that.

Ha, that might be a good reason to start going back to the Parks mall. I rarely go there now, and it doesn't help that the outlet mall in Grand Prairie is literally 5 mins away from my house with stores that I'd actually shop in so yeah lol.

It makes sense for them to build it in there though. Last time I was there, the mall's clientele was pretty much in the teens. Especially the food court... feels like I stepped back into HS all over again.

NR1

I really wish Rockwall would be more aggressive and get business like this out here. Rockwall has a very odd leadership. They have this desire to remain a "small town" but they also want all the benefits of a larger suburban area like Plano, Mesquite, or Allen.

They built this huge Harbor District about 10 years ago along Lake Ray Hubbard next to I-30; however, they place is virtually abandoned. They have a Cinemark Theater and a few high end shops and resturants, but nothing else. Part of the problem is the rent-- rumor has it that they charge 2 to 3 times as much per Sq Ft as any other shopping center in town. The other part has to do with the type of business they allow down there. They have a Century 21, Adobe Title, and a few other offices... Not exactly the type of business that attract foot traffic.

You know it's a sad state of affairs when I literally live 2 minutes away from the theater, but rather drive 40 minutes to Plano/Richardson to visit Studio Movie Grill or The Alamo Draft House instead.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/...t-screen-alamo-drafthouse-in-the-cedars.html/

misskayylee

Neo Member
Stay away from Spoon in ktown. Overpriced korean food that wasn't very good.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've been really wanting to try out that place everytime I visit the area haha.

Ha, that might be a good reason to start going back to the Parks mall. I rarely go there now, and it doesn't help that the outlet mall in Grand Prairie is literally 5 mins away from my house with stores that I'd actually shop in so yeah lol.

It makes sense for them to build it in there though. Last time I was there, the mall's clientele was pretty much in the teens. Especially the food court... feels like I stepped back into HS all over again.

Going around at 4PM was the worst on weekdays. Feels like all the HS kids who didn't have anything to do just roam the mall. I haven't been back there unless I knew that there were sales going in stores I wanted to buy from.

Haha. I prefer the outlet mall in GP! I tend to overspend my budget when I'm there though ><

I really wish Rockwall would be more aggressive and get business like this out here. Rockwall has a very odd leadership. They have this desire to remain a "small town" but they also want all the benefits of a larger suburban area like Plano, Mesquite, or Allen.

They built this huge Harbor District about 10 years ago along Lake Ray Hubbard next to I-30; however, they place is virtually abandoned. They have a Cinemark Theater and a few high end shops and resturants, but nothing else. Part of the problem is the rent-- rumor has it that they charge 2 to 3 times as much per Sq Ft as any other shopping center in town. The other part has to do with the type of business they allow down there. They have a Century 21, Adobe Title, and a few other offices... Not exactly the type of business that attract foot traffic.

You know it's a sad state of affairs when I literally live 2 minutes away from the theater, but rather drive 40 minutes to Plano/Richardson to visit Studio Movie Grill or The Alamo Draft House instead.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/...t-screen-alamo-drafthouse-in-the-cedars.html/

That's because no one wants to get a ticket in Rockwall for breathing. You think cops are aggressive at pulling people over in Allen or Plano, Rockwall is in a league of its own. I used to have to drive through there for work and dreaded it every time.

NR1

I have tried for months to locate some place in the metroplex that sells and cooks bugs, anyone know of a place?

You always hear and read in articles that big eating is nutritious, economical, and friendly to the environment, but for the life of me I cannot locate a store of restaurant that offers them...

I think it would be a fun experience!

:::EDIT:::

Just found out that El Come Taco in North Dallas (near Knox-Henderson) got in Chapulins (Grasshoppers) and ant egg tacos last last month! I called them up, and the young lady said that they sold out very quickly on the first week. They are waiting for more insects to arrive (hopefully early next month), and will be posting on their Facebook and Twitter when they are available again!

Dallas Obsever- Grasshopper and Ant Egg Tacos

NR1

I will be at the ScrewAttack Convention tomorrow and perhaps Sunday as well. It's at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel in downtown. If anyone wants to meet up and grab lunch or something, then keep an eye on this topic. I will keep it pulled up on my iPhone and post updates similar to the Dave & Busters Meetup.

1) I'm glad the RNC isn't going to taint this fairly moderate-to-liberal city. That's what the suburbs are here for.
2) Cleveland is not a suburb.

That aside, I might visit QuakeCon for a bit this Friday. Going to play some tabletop there, since I ain't got the machine to play shooters.

fmpanda

1) I'm glad the RNC isn't going to taint this fairly moderate-to-liberal city. That's what the suburbs are here for.
2) Cleveland is not a suburb.

That aside, I might visit QuakeCon for a bit this Friday. Going to play some tabletop there, since I ain't got the machine to play shooters.

Yeah, I'm only going to QuakeCon for Friday, no point in going all weekend without being able to BYOC. I'm at least looking forward to Master Pancake, they're tackling Labyrinth this year.

I'll also be a SGC for a bit on Sat. and Sun. Looking forward to the Jontron panel with what came out on Friday.

Zebra

I haven't been able to go to any events this month, which is a shame.

In bad news, the Texas Rangers are currently the worst team in the MLB with an abysmal win percentage of .398. Oh how high we flew, and how far we fell in the matter of a few years.
We got swept by the Astros.

The Astros.

But in better news, FC Dallas is doing well. Beating the New England Revolution propped us up to 2nd in the western conference.

Top Bottom