• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Yeah, that lighting show was awesome. I was watching it at the top floor of the building I work at and you could see the light flash the entire floor and the stalks of lightning grow out of the sky.

The drive home sucked though, typical DFW drivers can't drive for crap in the rain. Traffic wasn't that bad, but everyone was going 30mph on the highway... smh lol.

fmpanda

I had a strange commute home tonight, I started off in the rain as it was hitting heavy, but by the time I got to Farmers Branch, it was just completely dry. Kinda wondering if the storm system is moving upwards.

On another note, at least I had no traffic.

RSP

DFW-gaf, hear me.

I'm moving to Irving shortly, and will have to take care of my own internet connection. I currently have an apartment in Dallas uptown where internet is part of the rent.

I'll usually be in town for a week or two before travelling back to Europe, so I would like to have an internet connection that I just pay for when I'm there, and that is turned off when I'm not.

Do you have any suggestions that might help me out with that? I'm currently looking at a TWC connection, but it is still at a fixed monthly fee. I'd rather just have a "pay as you go" plan or something.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
DALLAS GAF plz help

My girlfriend and I moved here from Japan a year ago and were living in Lowest Greenville, we loved it but she got a job downtown (west end, really close to Perot Museum). I don't know much about the area, but we need an apartment and we need it fast (we're looking at probably having to move the 2nd or so).

I work out in Rockwall and access to I-30 would be nice, but I'm not really sure what's even a good place to live in the downtown/west end/low uptown area. Is there anything that's at all reasonably priced with any close grocery stores and other stuff? I feel like I'm goin' way outta my element after cozy Greenville living.

Can anyone offer some advice?

woodchuck

DALLAS GAF plz help

My girlfriend and I moved here from Japan a year ago and were living in Lowest Greenville, we loved it but she got a job downtown (west end, really close to Perot Museum). I don't know much about the area, but we need an apartment and we need it fast (we're looking at probably having to move the 2nd or so).

I work out in Rockwall and access to I-30 would be nice, but I'm not really sure what's even a good place to live in the downtown/west end/low uptown area. Is there anything that's at all reasonably priced with any close grocery stores and other stuff? I feel like I'm goin' way outta my element after cozy Greenville living.

Right next to the Perot museum, there's the North End apartments. I know a lot of people who live there and like it. But I don't know of any nearby grocery stores. Is there any reason you guys can't keep living where you are now? The commute from Greenville to the Perot museum is not too bad on Woodall Rogers.

DFW-gaf, hear me.

Check with T-Mobile, IIRC you can get a prepaid phone and tether it for an internet connection.

The commute from Greenville to the Perot museum is not too bad on Woodall Rogers.

Woodall Rogers is terrible... I've been taking the tunnel to get to 75 northbound and it's a freaking nightmare every time. Just this past week I've spent a grand total of 30 minutes under Klyde Warren since it's backed up around 4PM.

woodchuck

Check with T-Mobile, IIRC you can get a prepaid phone and tether it for an internet connection.

Woodall Rogers is terrible... I've been taking the tunnel to get to 75 northbound and it's a freaking nightmare every time. Just this past week I've spent a grand total of 30 minutes under Klyde Warren since it's backed up around 4PM.

75 to 35 isn't as bad as the opposite direction

The heat is why I want to not be here long term. It's horrible.

The real question is who broke 635 and 35? They're certainly taking their time to fix it.

NR1

DALLAS GAF plz help

I live in Rockwall, and there are condos for rent fairly often in Chandlers Landing and Signal Ridge. Both are right next to each other-- Chandlers is on Ridge just past the Aldi and Signal is on Summer Lee right at the Aldi and Community Bank (I used to work at the that bank!).

y2dvd

I checked out Tanoshii last week and sadly, I was unimpressed with their ramen bowl. The bacon had no flavor to it and the broth was ok. My hunt for good ramen in Dallas continues!

cHaotix8

Anyone check out Ramen Hakata yet? I think it just opened up in Addison. It has 3 stars on Yelp but Dallas Sushi/Japanese reviews can be misleading.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anyone check out Ramen Hakata yet? I think it just opened up in Addison. It has 3 stars on Yelp but Dallas Sushi/Japanese reviews can be misleading.

Was kind of bland to me to be honest, went on the 2nd day open for lunch.
But decent enough for the price as a local option since others are so far away.

cHaotix8

Was kind of bland to me to be honest, went on the 2nd day open for lunch.
But decent enough for the price as a local option since others are so far away.

I ended up trying the place out yesterday with a couple friends. I think bland is a pretty accurate descriptor, as it wass really nothing compared to Ramen Tatsu-Ya in Austin. Yelp was on-point with the rating this time around. One day Dallas will have good Ramen. :(

fmpanda

I ended up trying the place out yesterday with a couple friends. I think bland is a pretty accurate descriptor, as it wass really nothing compared to Ramen Tatsu-Ya in Austin. Yelp was on-point with the rating this time around. One day Dallas will have good Ramen. :(

It'll take a while, we just have to take baby steps as with everything else that isn't a burger/pizza/beefbbq joint.

y2dvd

Dang if only I didn't have plans already. I would've checked it out. I'm going to be watching DBZ: Battle of Gods this Sunday at Studio Movie Grill. Not sure which location yet. If only I still had any of my DBZ shirts to wear lol.

Zebra

Well, goodbye mild summer. 105F feels about right for mid August. That cold front was amazing while it lasted though.

That header image looks sweet. Good job to whoever made it.

Thanks mate. I felt like sprucing things up and animated all of the banners.

Well, goodbye mild summer. 105F feels about right for mid August. That cold front was amazing while it lasted though.

Thanks mate. I felt like sprucing things up and animated all of the banners.

The work you did on the OP for the banners is amazing Zebra, looks 100x better than what the actual city puts together for tourists.

Just a suggestion but why don't you put some of the minor league professional sports teams in the OP? Like the Frisco Roughriders AA baseball team or the minor league hockey team out in Allen.

woodchuck

My favorite Thai:

1) royal Thai
2) si lom
3) Bangkok city
4) crushcraft (more casual but open till like 3am on weekends)
5) mint
6) mango Thai

My favorite tex mex:

1) avilas
2) Mia's
3) Gloria's
4) mr mesero

Pizza (that are not listed in op):
1) Enzo's
2) union bear

Gastropub:
1) meddlesome moth
2) lark on the park - GREAT date place
3) common table - my favorite hang out place

quoting myself from a few months back if any of these want to be added to the OP.

Also more brunch places need to be added to the OP. Dallas is awesome for Brunch.

In no order, my go to places for brunch:
1) Smoke
2) The Grape
3) Oddfellows
4) Bolsa
5) Dream Cafe

- I still need to check out CBD Provisions and Stock and Barrell

Zebra

Yes thank you woodchuck! I am slowly but surely still working on that section. I am almost done making a google map of all the recommended restaurants.

woodchuck

Doing dinner at CBD tonight. Any suggestions besides the pig head? Already have that ordered.

How was CBD?

Went to stock and barrel today. Service was kinda shitty but the food was fucking delicious. Highly recommend it for brunch. I got the salmon fried rice, and my friends got the grits, spaghetti, and egg sandwhich. Mussels for appetizers. All great.

Also some coffee shops in Dallas that I like:

1) crooked tree (used to be my favorite , but now all the construction on Routh makes it a pain in the ass to go.
2) wild detectives - doubles as a book store and serves beer. Not much room inside but has a patio.
3) mudsmith - great place to hang out, play board games. Has beer too.

A lot of people like Ascencion but I'm not a fan. They serve wine too. Atmosphere is kind of sterile and not as cozy as the ones listed above.

And if you want to people watch, the Highland Park Village starbucks has the hottest MILFs. The west village Starbucks is huge and has the hottest women age 22-35.

aeolist

Banned
How was CBD?

Went to stock and barrel today. Service was kinda shitty but the food was fucking delicious. Highly recommend it for brunch. I got the salmon fried rice, and my friends got the grits, spaghetti, and egg sandwhich. Mussels for appetizers. All great.

Also some coffee shops in Dallas that I like:

1) crooked tree (used to be my favorite , but now all the construction on Routh makes it a pain in the ass to go.
2) wild detectives - doubles as a book store and serves beer. Not much room inside but has a patio.
3) mudsmith - great place to hang out, play board games. Has beer too.

A lot of people like Ascencion but I'm not a fan. They serve wine too. Atmosphere is kind of sterile and not as cozy as the ones listed above.

And if you want to people watch, the Highland Park Village starbucks has the hottest MILFs. The west village Starbucks is huge and has the hottest women age 22-35.

my favorite coffee shops:

- cultivar in lakewood, great espresso and is in the same building as an excellent taco place (good 2 go taco)
- oak lawn coffee, probably the best cold brew coffee and blended lattes
- frogg coffee in allen at watter's creek, they have amazing crepes

i also just started getting coffee at 1418 in plano just off 15th. i've had the cold brew and americano and they were both great.

How was CBD?

Enjoyed the overall experience but wasn't truly impressed with the food. We had a group of 7 and split the pig head, wagyu beef ribs, strozzapreti, and two orders of the wild mushrooms side. Parts of the pig were flavorful with very crispy skin but too much of it got fatty. The beef is like a prime rib, very tender. I applied a bit of the salt and sherry sauce that's served with the rib, but IMO, the beef ribs at Smoke is better option. We finished the meal with one of each of the desserts. The bourbon chocolate pudding was great, followed by the banana trifle. Did like our waitress who was attentive and friendly and kind of cute.

Taking a megabus out of town and my ticket has me in downtown Dallas at 11:30pm. This couldn't be more sketch if they tried. Fortunately I'm not at the greyhound station as that seems worse.

fmpanda

Taking a megabus out of town and my ticket has me in downtown Dallas at 11:30pm. This couldn't be more sketch if they tried. Fortunately I'm not at the greyhound station as that seems worse.

The Greyhound in Dallas? I didn't think it was too bad when I had to take the bus out to Memphis earlier this year, but then again I know not to really hang outside, the security and police do not play.

The Greyhound in Dallas? I didn't think it was too bad when I had to take the bus out to Memphis earlier this year, but then again I know not to really hang outside, the security and police do not play.
Called them (greyhound) today at four separate times and nobody picked up. I've never had customer service so bad they didn't even answer. Plus there were about ten beggars/homeless people outside the station When I went by.

fmpanda

Called them (greyhound) today at four separate times and nobody picked up. I've never had customer service so bad they didn't even answer. Plus there were about ten beggars/homeless people outside the station When I went by.

Yeah, I didn't even bother with callilng them, I did all of my stuff online. That sucks that you're going through a lot of crap with them.

Have y'all been to the DPS mega centers around the area? I'm in the one at Fort Worth right now and it's awesome. You don't even need to wait a long time to get stuff done since you can line up online.

30 min wait time and it took me about 20 mins to drive here. Now I'm just chilling for the next 10 mins to get my license renewed.

Slacker

Have y'all been to the DPS mega centers around the area? I'm in the one at Fort Worth right now and it's awesome. You don't even need to wait a long time to get stuff done since you can line up online.

30 min wait time and it took me about 20 mins to drive here. Now I'm just chilling for the next 10 mins to get my license renewed.
I pondered going to the one in Garland last time I renewed but figured waiting at the Plano location near my house couldn't take too much longer than the extra ~40 minutes to drive to Garland and back. When I got there I was something like number 503 and the sign said NOW SERVICE 500. Score! Then they started calling numbers. 713, 256, 422, 501.... oh no.

It ended up taking only about 20 minutes though, so I was happy. :)

Panzon

My wife and I are actually thinking about relocating to either Dallas or Houston. We would be leaving NYC behind and would like to know how much of a different lifestyle it would be.

Anyone here have a similar situation? And if so how long did it take for you to get used to it?

My wife and I are actually thinking about relocating to either Dallas or Houston. We would be leaving NYC behind and would like to know how much of a different lifestyle it would be.
Mass transit network isn't as strong, almost nonexistent once you get into the outer suburbs, but the city of Dallas has good DART trains and buses + the occasional taxi, not sure about Houston. Dallas has less urban sprawl than Houston and is slightly more temperate in climate, but Houston's not home to the craziest right-wing suburbs in the nation. Arts is still fairly strong in Dallas, but Houston has better places for movie watchers (Dallas' big art museum doesn't even have a movie program! :mad: ).

Panzon

Mass transit network isn't as strong, almost nonexistent once you get into the outer suburbs, but the city of Dallas has good DART trains and buses + the occasional taxi, not sure about Houston. Dallas has less urban sprawl than Houston and is slightly more temperate in climate, but Houston's not home to the craziest right-wing suburbs in the nation. Arts is still fairly strong in Dallas, but Houston has better places for movie watchers (Dallas' big art museum doesn't even have a movie program! :mad: ).
Sounds interesting but I think I might lean towards Houston though. Have a couple of friends who live there now and they love it so far. NYC has already sucked the life out of me and I'm ready to move on and give my kids a different (hopefully better) life

Zebra

Just a heads up, everyone: The direct connection to D-FW airport by the orange rail line opens on Monday.

If you don't have a car, you will get a car. As Dragoon stated the transit system isn't as strong, and that will be one of the biggest differences in moving from New York City to either Dallas or Houston. Everything is very spread out. The Dallas mass transit system has a heavy presence throughout the Dallas area, but the distance between places can make travelling on it a frustratingly long endeavor.
You won't be walking to restaurants, to visit friends, to run errands, or to events. The only walking you are likely to do is walking across our massive parking lots. You will likely be driving everywhere. Dallas has a large rail system, but unless you live near a rail station you will likely be driving to park at the nearest one.

I know others would disagree but I honestly don't see that much of a distinction between Dallas and Houston. We have a huge city rivalry between each other but that's probably because we are so alike. We've both got lots of great restaurants, great museums, great art venues, low cost of living, strong economic growth, hot summers, low walkability scores, several major league sports teams, heavy traffic and ever increasingly large/diverse populations.

Dallas and Houston are both cut from the same cloth. So if your friends are in Houston then I wouldn't give Dallas a second thought. Go with Houston. The only major difference I would note is climate. Dallas has dry summers while Houston has humid ones.
If you're burned out on where you are now, Texas is a great alternative for a lot of people. It has an awesome vibe with great people and tons to do. I have met tons of people who have moved here from out-of-state and really like it. It's not the most interesting place to visit, but it is a fantastic place to live.

Arts is still fairly strong in Dallas, but Houston has better places for movie watchers (Dallas' big art museum doesn't even have a movie program! :mad: ).

But we've got two Angelika theaters, the Texas Theatre, and an Alamo Drafthouse with more locations on the way, including one downtown. What more do you need? :p

Raining like hell over here in Arlington right now!

At one point it was going sideways half the people on the road turned on their hazards, including me. I'm actually glad Arlington's rain drainage system is in perfect order, streets were flooded and my Miata could've gotten stuck and it would've been no bueno for me at that point lol.

I pondered going to the one in Garland last time I renewed but figured waiting at the Plano location near my house couldn't take too much longer than the extra ~40 minutes to drive to Garland and back. When I got there I was something like number 503 and the sign said NOW SERVICE 500. Score! Then they started calling numbers. 713, 256, 422, 501.... oh no.

It ended up taking only about 20 minutes though, so I was happy. :)

Haha this one actually follows everything in order since it's run by a computer. It did take a long time processing my renewal though since apparently you need to prove you're a US citizen now. -___-

Top Bottom