• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just a heads up for music store lovers:

Josey Records opening soon. (soft launch later this month in 13 days) and Grand Opening next month.
Looks like a very ambitious venture as I know music stores are a tough business these days.
Over 100,000 records to browse, they'll also be selling CDs, tapes, music mags/books, audio equipment.

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.co...one-will-josey-records-take-their-place.html/

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/09/josey_records_coming_soon_preview.php

I used to work at the Tower Records in uptown for the last few years it was open.
I'll definitely be visiting this place.

Zebra

I think that driving southbound on 35E towards downtown at night showcases the best view of the skyline. I made that drive tonight and it always impresses me.

Just a heads up for music store lovers:

Josey Records opening soon. (soft launch later this month in 13 days) and Grand Opening next month.
Looks like a very ambitious venture as I know music stores are a tough business these days.
Over 100,000 records to browse, they'll also be selling CDs, tapes, music mags/books, audio equipment.

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.co...one-will-josey-records-take-their-place.html/

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/09/josey_records_coming_soon_preview.php

I used to work at the Tower Records in uptown for the last few years it was open.
I'll definitely be visiting this place.

This is awesome. The name reminded me of the old CD Addict that used to be just north of there at Josey and George Bush. It was the one place I could find the indie stuff that I listened to in high school, and the owner was one of the nicest dudes on the planet.

I'm not a record guy but I'll definitely be checking this place out.

woodchuck

I think that driving southbound on 35E towards downtown at night showcases the best view of the skyline. I made that drive tonight and it always impresses me.

This is awesome. The name reminded me of the old CD Addict that used to be just north of there at Josey and George Bush. It was the one place I could find the indie stuff that I listened to in high school, and the owner was one of the nicest dudes on the planet.

I'm not a record guy but I'll definitely be checking this place out.

Yeah that's my favorite view too, especially when reunion tower and the omni has cool displays.

And speaking of record stores, anyone check out Off the Record? http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/08/off_the_record_club_dada_grand_opening.php

Zebra

I complained for the longest time about Reunion Tower's observation deck being closed for renovations. Then when it finally opened back up I balked at the $16 ticket to get in.

But last weekend I finally went ahead and rode up there for the first time since I was a kid.
It was cool, but certainly not worth $16.

It's amazing seeing the density that has sprung up in uptown over the past 15 years. It's a completely different place now and it's still not done growing.

CwJSupP.jpg

By the way, is anyone going to Dallas Comic Con Fan Days this weekend?

Has anyone been to Look Cinema? Opened this year. It's the only place I've found in DFW that says they're showing Interstellar in 70mm.

http://www.lookcinemas.com/

Any experiences? They don't say IMAX on their website, just "huge curved screen." Nice recliners. Wondering how big the screen actually is and if it would be worth seeing 70mm there or go to an IMAX (which none are on the 70mm list).

woodchuck

Has anyone been to Look Cinema? Opened this year. It's the only place I've found in DFW that says their showing Interstellar in 70mm.

Any experiences? They don't say IMAX on their website, just "huge curved screen." Nice recliners. Wondering how big the screen actually is and if it would be worth seeing 70mm there or go to an IMAX (which none are on the 70mm list).

You sure? I recall watching dark knight returns in 70 mm at the cinemark on 635 and Webb chapel

Edit - yep. http://www.imax.com/community/blog/advance-tickets-for-interstellar-on-sale-now/

Zebra

You sure? I recall watching dark knight returns in 70 mm at the cinemark on 635 and Webb chapel

Edit - yep. http://www.imax.com/community/blog/advance-tickets-for-interstellar-on-sale-now/

Thanks for this, I was a bit confused. The Interstellar site seemed to say Webb Chapel would be a digital IMAX projection, but I too remembered seeing DKR in 70 mm film there.
Webb Chapel is pretty much my go-to place for blockbusters. It's the last remaining true IMAX here. May it live forever.

I am curious about Look though. I've been trying to find out their screen sizes but haven't had any luck.

Has anyone been to Look Cinema? Opened this year. It's the only place I've found in DFW that says they're showing Interstellar in 70mm.

Hmm. I've been checking the movie's homepage list and Cinemark is absent. Only 2 listed for Texas.
https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/imax-experience-in-70mm

Ok Dallas GAFfers, I need your help.

I live here part of the year to help take care of family and live in California for school. Getting here has become more of a pain every time I fly. In CA, I live two hours from the airport and schedule later flights, which means I generally get in Dallas Love Field pretty late at night. Anywhere from 9-11pm at night.

My family no longer drives and can no longer pick me up when I get in. Give me better/maybe cheaper options than Super Shuttle. I hate their service. They suck. They take forever. They have horrible drivers who can't use a GPS.

As you can tell. It's 11pm and I have nothing better to do for the next half hour until they get here. And I'm pissed.

Are they near a DART rail?

I know DFW is, not sure about Love Field. I've never used the DART, and I'm worried about bus/rails ending for the night before I home.
Tonight I'm travelling light, but its a bit harder to do when I'm here 3-4 months in the summer and make use of Southwest's two free checked bags.

I've used a private car service before for $65 plus tip. Super Shuttle is $36 plus tip. What I could figure from the pricing on uber/lyft would run me the same as the private car, but their prices do seem cheaper than a regular cab at least.

I really wish there was a rail into DAL. Even taking a taxi cab home from the nearest station would probably be cheaper. It adds up when I do this two to three trips a year round trip, on top of the flight cost.

It's 1am now and I just got home. I'm gonna go pound sand.

woodchuck

I've used a private car service before for $65 plus tip. Super Shuttle is $36 plus tip. What I could figure from the pricing on uber/lyft would run me the same as the private car, but their prices do seem cheaper than a regular cab at least.

I really wish there was a rail into DAL. Even taking a taxi cab home from the nearest station would probably be cheaper. It adds up when I do this two to three trips a year round trip, on top of the flight cost.

It's 1am now and I just got home. I'm gonna go pound sand.

There is a DART station next to love field (the inwood station). There's a regular shuttle that takes people from the airport to the DART shuttle and vice versa. Unfortunately, the fact you get in to the airport so late messes up the situation. I don't know of any late night transportation options other than the ones you've tried

woodchuck

Coincidentally, I'm at love field right now, flying Virgin to the west coast. When did love field get a chik fila? This is a game changer

NR1

What about a Lyft Car? I have never used the App myself, but a friend of mine says it's the greatest. She lived near downtown Dallas and uses it quite often. We went to Seattle together recently and she used it there too without any problems.

Coincidentally, I'm at love field right now, flying Virgin to the west coast. When did love field get a chik fila? This is a game changer

A couple years ago they did a massive overhaul. I remember it being this gloomy dark place full if hallways. And that one little TSA screen off to the side if you were lucky to know how to find it. And there was just a handful of places to eat. I think a McD's and Chili's or something.

Now you don't have to question where you're going. It's an awesome change.

My family visited last weekend and I came away with two things

1) Pecan Lodge is everything that was promised and more. Incredible barbecue! Plus, Alton Brown was there and we got pictures with him.

2) Emporium Pies makes the best pie I've ever had in my life. Hands down. That needs to be on the dessert list!

woodchuck

Emporium pies is incredible. It's my secret weapon on dates. Get dinner at one of tr many restaurants in bishop arts then finish the night off at emporium pies

Emporium pies is incredible. It's my secret weapon on dates. Get dinner at one of tr many restaurants in bishop arts then finish the night off at emporium pies

Yep. Eno's + Emporium Pies is one of my main go-to dates. Sometimes I'll swap it out for Dude Sweet though.

Zebra

In development news: "Turkish developer to buy land near Dallas City Hall for $1.2B multitower project"

The four towers include two 80-story towers and two 60-story towers originally conceived by Sarimsakci for the proposed redevelopment of Pacific Plaza Park(except he'd like to double the project). If the deal goes through, the project would be developed at 1701 Cadiz St. and 1502 Canton St., each valued at about $1 million by the Dallas Central Appraisal District.

Terms of the expected land sale were undisclosed.

"These towers would be the tallest west of the Mississippi," Sarimsakci told the Dallas Business Journal in an exclusive interview. "We are going to do it. We have the land under contract and Dallas needs to shine.

- Dallas Business Journal

Please please please happen. Dallas' skyline lacks in height. Getting not just one super-tall, but two? That would be awesome. The skyline would change dramatically, so let's hope they're designing something nice.

As for the other two towers, 60 stories puts them in the Comerica Bank / Chase Bank towers height range.

In other development news: Another year, another planned fake-snow ski resort.
"Grand Prairie announces plans for a $215 million indoor ski resort with a Hard Rock Hotel"

The indoor ski resort will be a year-round, world-class fourth generation indoor facility with restaurants and specialty retail, and will be integrated with the Hard Rock hotel. The snow dome will offer indoor ski slope measuring nearly 300 feet tall and 1200 feet long, an indoor ice climbing wall, luge track and winter wonderland play area.

- Dallas Morning News (Renderings at the link)

Zebra

80 stories will most likely take us above Houston in terms of tallest building. T'would be a grand attraction for those on I-30.

Yup, Houston's tallest tower is 75 stories. They would also be taller than Los Angeles' and Seattle's tallests.

It would be weird to see the Bank of America Plaza tower's dominance suddenly be dwarfed.

I pass this place on my way to work every day and it scares me.

I used to drive by The Potter's House daily and every time I'd drive by, I'd think how much money they extorted out of their patrons to build something that massive.

Then I saw Crossroads in GP...

Campus_9a0800ce-2283-4b5d-8151-685b0e606818.jpg

In other development news: Another year, another planned fake-snow ski resort.
"Grand Prairie announces plans for a $215 million indoor ski resort with a Hard Rock Hotel"

I'm actually looking forward to this lol.

And yeah, a meetup sounds great especially on lower Greenville. I haven't been down there in a while since I've been so busy with school.

Zebra

We should definitely have another meet up soon.

I feel like we are destined to have a meet-up at Barcadia one of these days.

I'm actually looking forward to this lol.

Same here, I just hope it actually happens. We have had a couple ski resorts planned in the past that never came to fruition, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for this one. Already having a deal with Hard Rock might be a good sign.

woodchuck

I went to Preston Wood Baptist Church for graduation, now that's what I call a fundy vortex.Only place I've ever been to on Lower Greenville is Snuffers, old and new. What are the other interesting joints there?

There's a lot of cool places in lower greenville. Truck yard is my favorite. For drinks, there's also HG sply, blind butcher, single wide, libertine. There's more I'm missing off the top of my head. Snuffers is a bit north. I'm mostly focused on greenville between Ross and Richmond

y2dvd

Add Velvet Taco for some late night eatery in the lower Greensville area. I'm game for a gettogether. The first one was fun.

Same here, I just hope it actually happens. We have had a couple ski resorts planned in the past that never came to fruition, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for this one. Already having a deal with Hard Rock might be a good sign.

It needs to happen I think as GP is practically a tiny dot in a huge metropolis. Nobody goes to GP besides north of I-30 for Verizon theater... everything the city has you can find better in Arlington or anywhere else.

And I say this as a long time resident of GP. Lone Star Park is nice and the outlet mall on I-20 is great, but other than that... there's literally nothing here but houses and apartments.

Add Velvet Taco for some late night eatery in the lower Greensville area. I'm game for a gettogether. The first one was fun.

Is Velvet Taco really that great? I've heard a lot of good things but I kinda find it hard to believe that somebody can beat Torchy's.

It needs to happen I think as GP is practically a tiny dot in a huge metropolis. Nobody goes to GP besides north of I-30 for Verizon theater... everything the city has you can find better in Arlington or anywhere else.

And I say this as a long time resident of GP. Lone Star Park is nice and the outlet mall on I-20 is great, but other than that... there's literally nothing here but houses and apartments.

I venture into GP for the Chinese New Years celebration at Asia Times Square. Also, they have some big bags of crawfish when they are in season over at Hong Kong market.

Is Velvet Taco really that great? I've heard a lot of good things but I kinda find it hard to believe that somebody can beat Torchy's.

Taco wise it comes close but doesn't beat out Torchy's. I'd say their one menu item that tips the scale in it's favor are their tots. Tater tots with bacon, goat cheese, cheddar and an egg on top. I actually had to stop going their for a while because I was getting that almost every day.

Taco wise it comes close but doesn't beat out Torchy's. I'd say their one menu item that tips the scale in it's favor are their tots. Tater tots with bacon, goat cheese, cheddar and an egg on top. I actually had to stop going their for a while because I was getting that almost every day.

Mmmmmm Torchys...

It's not the best in Dallas, but it's definitely the best that's open really late
Though if someone else has a late night taco joint recommendation, I'm definitely all ears

y2dvd

I'm ashamed to say I've only been to Torchy's once and forgot how it was like. I need to head back. Rusty's Tacos is really cheap and pretty good for its price. Yeah, I just mentioned Velvet because it's open after hours.

cHaotix8

I've never been to Rusty's. Lived right around the corner from the one in Plano for almost two years and never made it out. Torchy's is definitely my current fave though.

Down for a GAF meetup since I unfortunately had to miss out on the last one.

I pass this place on my way to work every day and it scares me.

dHs1SWs.jpg

I went there for a conference once. It already looks huge on the outside, but it's insane when you're actually inside. I've been to major concerts that aren't housed in venues that large.

cHaotix8

Absolute Battle is going down this weekend in Plano. We have Jan, Fchamp, Rubeks, Terry Bogard, Busby, Angelic, SnakeEyez, Ray Ray, Ricky Ortiz, Noel Brown, Native, Joekage (Joe Love) and many more!

PandaXGaming will also be hosting their first offline Ultimate Fight Night battle to showcase some of the South's local talent. Definitely check it out if you can.

Definitely try to check it out if you're interested in competitive gaming (Street Fighter, Marvel, Tekken, CoD, Smash and more)! Spectator passes are $10 and they let you play casuals and enter all free tournament events!

Top Bottom