• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

NR1

Based on the feedback I have gotten, it looks like we are set for our first DFW-NeoGAF meet-up.

WHEN: Sunday, June 29, 2014 @ Noon - ?:??pm

WHERE: Dave & Busters at 9450 N Central Expy, Dallas, TX 75231

WHO (those that have shown interest): NR1, MogCakes, TheSadRanger, y2dvd, MickD,WascallyWabbit, jongkookie, and Dragoon En Regalia. (8 TOTAL)

WHAT: Hangout, eat, and play games. D&B has Mario Kart GP DX, so perhaps we can get a tournament going... If you got a 3DS or Vita, bring it along and maybe we can play some local wireless matches (Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 7, Steel Driver Sub Wars, ect...)

Based on the feedback I have gotten, it looks like we are set for our first DFW-NeoGAF meet-up.

WHO (those that have shown interest): NR1, MogCakes, TheSadRanger, y2dvd, MickD,WascallyWabbit, jongkookie, and Dragoon En Regalia. (8 TOTAL)

WHAT: Hangout, eat, and play games. D&B has Mario Kart GP DX, so perhaps we can get a tournament going... If you got a 3DS or Vita, bring it along and maybe we can play some local wireless matches (Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 7, Steel Driver Sub Wars, ect...)

I don't have a 3DS or Vita but i'll be there

misskayylee

Neo Member
I'll be going, but only on Friday for to pick up more Symbiote Studios figures and for Master Pancake. After going as just an attendee for the last couple of years I was going to go for the BYOC, until the cut down the number of seats and then jacked up the price. On top of that, Screwattack Con is the weekend before and I'm really looking forward to that one, especially for the Jontron stuffs.

Sounds fun. I've never heard of Screwattack Con! Will have to look that up and check it out sometime later. How many Symbiote figures have you collected? They're pretty cool.

Quakecon is a tradition for me, wonder what they will have playable.

I haven't been to QuakeCon yet. A friend of mine spoke of it awhile ago so I brought it up. I would have loved to go if I wasn't stuck trying to heal my pelvic bone with two screws in it. It's going to be a long 2 months of healing...

Hollycat

I'll try and make it as well.

fmpanda

Sounds fun. I've never heard of Screwattack Con! Will have to look that up and check it out sometime later. How many Symbiote figures have you collected? They're pretty cool.

Whelp, I have The Dragonborn and a blonde-haired variant that came with Loot Crate, Astrid, the Quakecon figure, and a Daedric Armor figure. I usually go for the Elder Scrolls figurines.

Word has it that along with Toyota doing their big move to Dallas area (Plano was it?), a large Japanese grocery chain will be opening a store as well to accommodate the big growth in the Japanese community. That will be awesome. I hope it's Mitsuwa. I went to their Chicago store. Huge and 100% Japan. Purely Japan food, atmosphere, bookstore, home goods, etc. Finally! Access to real quantities of Japanese food.

There is a very nice small family owned Japanese goods/food store in Plano that sadly will likely to have a hard struggle if Mitsuwa, or whichever chain it is, stomps in. Impossible to resist aisles of true Japanese food as far as the eye can see. Gonna be a long wait.

y2dvd

I got a wedding the day prior so a Sunday works out. Count me 51% in right now.

This one is also off Walnut Hill as well :p
Except it's by a Best Buy and not a stripclub :p

OH SNAP (itshappening.gif) will come out if I am in town!

misskayylee

Neo Member
Whelp, I have The Dragonborn and a blonde-haired variant that came with Loot Crate, Astrid, the Quakecon figure, and a Daedric Armor figure. I usually go for the Elder Scrolls figurines.

Ooooh. Ahah, that's neat! I hope you something interesting at QuakeCon then!

Word has it that along with Toyota doing their big move to Dallas area (Plano was it?), a large Japanese grocery chain will be opening a store as well to accommodate the big growth in the Japanese community. That will be awesome. I hope it's Mitsuwa. I went to their Chicago store. Huge and 100% Japan. Purely Japan food, atmosphere, bookstore, home goods, etc. Finally! Access to real quantities of Japanese food.

There is a very nice small family owned Japanese goods/food store in Plano that sadly will likely to have a hard struggle if Mitsuwa, or whichever chain it is, stomps in. Impossible to resist aisles of true Japanese food as far as the eye can see. Gonna be a long wait.

Didn't know about that but it sounds great to visit once its established. I'm quite tired of K-town in Carrollton, although I love the massive amounts of KBBQ restaurants they offer. I'm guessing that Mitsuwa is on scale with H-Mart for the Korean community? If so, then I hope that it would be Mitsuwa!

True enough. The Asian world markets are gonna have a hard time competing with an industry heavyweight like the one you've described. On the plus side, this will mean greater availability of local goods than before. Hmm...

That date and time for the meet-up works out just right for me. I'll bring my 3DS and stuff, but expect me to be all up and about the PC games I've been buying and trying to play (like XCOM).

NR1

That's funny that you guys just starts talking about Asian supermarkets, because I was actually just starting to compile information of all the Asian grocery stores that I frequent! DFW-Age is on the same wavelength!

Tian Tian 88 Supermarket
400 N Greenville Ave
Richardson, TX 75081

Jusgo Supermarket
240 Legacy Dr #200
Plano, TX 75023

H-Mart
3320 K Ave
Plano, TX 75074-2306

Cali Saigon Mall
3212 N Jupiter Rd
Garland, TX 75044

What other markets are in the area? I love the ramune sodas and candy!

image-99.jpg

image-98.jpg

That's funny that you guys just starts talking about Asian supermarkets, because I was actually just starting to compile information of all the Asian grocery stores that I frequent! DFW-Age is on the same wavelength!

There's also Ranch 99 on the other side of Jusgo

Looks like I'm free. I might make it to this event if I got money to spare.

fmpanda

Ooooh. Ahah, that's neat! I hope you something interesting at QuakeCon then!

Didn't know about that but it sounds great to visit once its established. I'm quite tired of K-town in Carrollton, although I love the massive amounts of KBBQ restaurants they offer. I'm guessing that Mitsuwa is on scale with H-Mart for the Korean community? If so, then I hope that it would be Mitsuwa!

I'm kinda hoping they have a Dishonored figure this year, when the game was unveiled at Quakecon a couple of years ago, I went by their booth and one of their sculptors was hand-crafting a Corvo.

Ahhhh, H-Mart. I love that place simply as they sell Bawls, but I also dig their low prices on most meats. I haven't done enough digging though to find out what restaurants are good in that little area though.

Hong Kong Market in Grand Prairie and Garland. Cho Saigon in Arlington. Both have a decent selection of generally Asian goods, but mostly a Chinese, Viet and Filipino focus.

As for restaurants... first on the list is IMO the best one.

Viet:
- Pho 95 in Arlington, off Arkansas and 360.
- Pho Palace in Arlington, off Collins and Pioneer/303
- Pho Pasteur in Arlington, off Center and Pioneer/303
- Sprouts Springrolls and Pho in Arlington, off Collins and Road To Six Flags. Showed up in Man vs. Food in the Travel Channel.

Korean:
- Jin's - literally next door to the H-Mart in Plano
- Won Korea in Arlington, off Cooper and Arkansas
- A1 Super Buffet in Arlington, off 303/Pioneer and New York. It still is a buffet but with a grill for some KBBQ.
- Omi - literally next door to the H-Mart in Carrolton

Japanese:
- Tokyo One in Addison, off Midway and Belt Line. It's a buffet but it's one of the best buffets in town IMO. Fantastic sushi among other fried things. Expensive though, bring at least $30.
- Sushi Domo in Arlington, off Matlock and Mayfield
- Sushiyaa in Arlington, off Green Oaks and Cooper
- Piranha Killer Sushi, multiple locations around DFW.

Filipino:
- Kizyen in Arlington, off Cooper and Arkansas. Maybe about 200 steps away from Won Korea. It's a buffet that changes their menu every day, but man the food is legit Filipino.
- Shojimoto in Arlington, off Cooper and Benge. Within walking distance of UTA. Another legit Filipino place but they only serve it during Fri and Sat.
- Fiesta Manila in Grand Prairie, off 303/Pioneer and Great Southwest. Diagonally across the Hong Kong Market. Filipino buffet.

That's all off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a couple I've missed...

I haven't done enough digging though to find out what restaurants are good in that little area though.

Stop by Omi's if you haven't. One of the best KBBQ places around the entire DFW area... the other is Jin's in Plano which coincidentally houses the brand new H-Mart as well.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Had an event meeting and ate at Nubo last night in downtown Dallas. My god sooooo good. Between that and 560 at the Reunion tower, I think I found the perfect high end Asian food.

Me and my dad went to Amato's Trattoria in downtown McKinney this Father's Day. We used to eat at Amato's when it was at an outlet mall on Virginia Pkw. and Stonebridge Dr., but they've since reopened a spacious, quiet, aesthetically-appealing hole-in-the-wall at the back of the Square. Here's the Yelp page for this place.

Food is very good: I had steamed clams and a sausage parmigiana, while my father enjoyed his angel-hair bolognese. Appetizer was great, and the sandwich filled me with delight! Service could be better, very soft-spoken for sure, but it's never a crowded joint, and the prices match well to the quality of what you're paying for. I'd rather go eat here than some place like Olive Garden or a money-sink like Rick's Chophouse. Recommending this for the Italian tag in the OP!

Other restaurants on the Square worth listing: Cadillac Pizza Pub, Louisiana St. Grill, Sauce on the Square, Spoons, Square Burger.

misskayylee

Neo Member
Hong Kong Market in Grand Prairie and Garland. Cho Saigon in Arlington. Both have a decent selection of generally Asian goods, but mostly a Chinese, Viet and Filipino focus.

As for restaurants... first on the list is IMO the best one.

Viet:
- Pho 95 in Arlington, off Arkansas and 360.
- Pho Palace in Arlington, off Collins and Pioneer/303
- Pho Pasteur in Arlington, off Center and Pioneer/303
- Sprouts Springrolls and Pho in Arlington, off Collins and Road To Six Flags. Showed up in Man vs. Food in the Travel Channel.

Korean:
- Jin's - literally next door to the H-Mart in Plano
- Won Korea in Arlington, off Cooper and Arkansas
- A1 Super Buffet in Arlington, off 303/Pioneer and New York. It still is a buffet but with a grill for some KBBQ.
- Omi - literally next door to the H-Mart in Carrolton

Japanese:
- Tokyo One in Addison, off Midway and Belt Line. It's a buffet but it's one of the best buffets in town IMO. Fantastic sushi among other fried things. Expensive though, bring at least $30.
- Sushi Domo in Arlington, off Matlock and Mayfield
- Sushiyaa in Arlington, off Green Oaks and Cooper
- Piranha Killer Sushi, multiple locations around DFW.

Filipino:
- Kizyen in Arlington, off Cooper and Arkansas. Maybe about 200 steps away from Won Korea. It's a buffet that changes their menu every day, but man the food is legit Filipino.
- Shojimoto in Arlington, off Cooper and Benge. Within walking distance of UTA. Another legit Filipino place but they only serve it during Fri and Sat.
- Fiesta Manila in Grand Prairie, off 303/Pioneer and Great Southwest. Diagonally across the Hong Kong Market. Filipino buffet.

That's all off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a couple I've missed...

Yutaka Sushi Bistro located off McKinney and Boil St.

The best sashimi I've ever had. Hands down most traditional and best quality of sashimi! This place has decent prices for the quality that you're getting. I highly suggest this restaurant to all sashimi lovers!

Tex117

Banned

The best sashimi I've ever had. Hands down most traditional and best quality of sashimi! This place has decent prices for the quality that you're getting. I highly suggest this restaurant to all sashimi lovers!

Plus 1 Yutaka, for the price and quality, it can't be beat.

woodchuck

Had no idea yutaka was good. I live a block away but never went there.

Have fun at the meetup guys . Won't be able to make it this time

misskayylee

Neo Member
Had no idea yutaka was good. I live a block away but never went there.

Have fun at the meetup guys . Won't be able to make it this time

Go check it out! They have the normal menu sushi rolls and maybe two special ones I think. I highly suggest trying Yutaka atleast once!

I also won't be able to go to the meetup due to some circumstances, maybe sometime in the fall!

I've heard a lot of recommendations to this place but I've never gone since I hate going into downtown Dallas lol. I've now got a summer gig around Fitzhugh though so I might stop there one of these days.

As for the meetup, hopefully you guys are gonna be there after 2pm. I'm gonna be in Austin during that weekend but I should be back around 1pm so I'll head straight there as soon as I dump my stuff at the house.

NR1

Go away rain... If it's going to rain, then just rain. Don't drag it out over the entire week. Makes my job impossible (outside on roofs).

image-106.jpg

image-107.jpg

First it was mild clouds and grey, then it turned darker, like it was going to rain more than the occasional sprinkle or gust, then the squall broke and Denton got drenched. Make up your mind, Texas!

fmpanda

First it was mild clouds and grey, then it turned darker, like it was going to rain more than the occasional sprinkle or gust, then the squall broke and Denton got drenched. Make up your mind, Texas!

You should already know this is the state that never likes to make up it's mind on the weather, lol. There was countless times growing up where it would be sunny except for a few rainy clouds, kinda made for a cool rainbow effect though.

True, I just hope it last as I don't want it to get into the 100s. Hell I don't even like the heat we have now. I'm more of a winter/early spring kinda guy.
If it's going to get hot again then the clouds need to disappear ASAP. Hot is somewhat bearable. Hot + humid is just Houston.

NR1

Sunday! Sunday! SUNDAY!!!

Just a quick reminder that DFW-Age's first meet-up in THIS SUNDAY at 12 Noon. We will be meeting at the Dave & Busters off of Central Expressway and Walnut Hill. Be sure to bring your handheld gaming device and some quarters to play Mario Kart GP DX.

From the looks of it, we are going to have a very good turnout!

Just a quick reminder that DFW-Age's first meet-up in THIS SUNDAY at 12 Noon. We will be meeting at the Dave & Busters off of Central Expressway and Walnut Hill. Be sure to bring your handheld gaming device and some quarters to play Mario Kart GP DX.

I'm coming, is there gonna be a place we're meeting?

cHaotix8

I'll be there as well. It'll be my first time meeting up with DFW Gaffers that aren't part of the FGC! Any of you guys play Bravely Defualt?

Also, Sushi Robata and Sushi Sake have pretty good sushi. I definitely recommend both.

How many quarters are we talkin bout? :p
Is that the Dave & Buster near BestBuy?

NR1

Do we meet in front of the D&B or in the arcade or restaurant area?

How about in the front outside by the door? I will post in this topic remotely once I arrive with a photo of my location. So if you have access to NeoGAF mobile, then just jump to this topic for updates and info.

SolKane

I'm actually planning a day trip to Ft Worth soon, I've never been before. Can anyone here recommend me some interesting places to see? I'm intending to visit one of the art museums (any recommendations if I could do just one?), looking for more suggestions. Also, places to eat (I like a good burger).

I'm actually planning a day trip to Ft Worth soon, I've never been before. Can anyone here recommend me some interesting places to see? I'm intending to visit one of the art museums (any recommendations if I could do just one?), looking for more suggestions. Also, places to eat (I like a good burger).

Need to check it out, but i've heard rave reviews about Kimball Art Museum

MogCakes

The art museums are right next to each other and are both renowned. The Kimball is the more famous of the two, but the Modern is no slouch and has one of the coolest views in the city. I'd recommend the Kimball if you can only do one. Another great area to lounge around in is the Fort Worth Water Gardens, best to go shortly before/after noon when the heat isn't too crazy. Sundance Square is the heart of Downtown Fort Worth and has plenty of places to eat and walk. If you want anything beef, go to the Fort Worth Stockyards, steaks and burgers is their specialty and there are restaurants lining both sides of the street there.

Other notable mentions are the Botanic Gardens and the Amon Carter Museum.

Top Bottom