• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Red Bull codes apparently had a ton of them compromised. The legend grows.

kingwingin

8ce300f0103446acd7ebc368aeb04b12.jpg
Well, actually, RedBull helps temporarily restore wakefulness when experiencing fatigue or drowsiness.

Ah, good ol contest scamming. Reminds of the every10minutes promo that Mtn Dew did for 360. Me and my friends spent 10's of hours creating fake email addresses to get codes to enter into the contest. We all won, it was amazing.

Ah, good ol contest scamming. Reminds of the every10minutes promo that Mtn Dew did for 360. Me and my friends spent 10's of hours creating fake email addresses to get codes to enter into the contest. We all won, it was amazing.

Contests and prizes are bound to have scammers. Folks like you will open admit it and there will be no consequences.

Raonak

Banned
Lol, hilarious XD

Yeah, this is on activision/redbull for making such a stupidly easy to break code system.
You're dealing with external systems FFS.

Afrocious

If I still played Destiny, I would've copped a ton of codes as well. Back in the day, Microsoft had some site where people could play online games to win prizes like Windows Vista discs (lol).

A bunch of folks, including myself, made macros to play the games which earned enough points for us to get tons of Vista discs. Some would return them to Wal-Mart shops for cash.

Reebot

For everyone getting a laugh out of admitting to a crime, reposting my thoughts from the last thread:

The next time you want to complain about companies treating their customers like criminals remember this thread.

Occam

people who stole codes should be thrown in jail for fraud

There's a certain group of friendly people in northern Africa who hack off the hands of thieves, wouldn't you think that's even more appropriate?

(By the way, you don't seem to understand what fraud means.)

There's a certain group of friendly people in northern Africa who hack off the hands of thieves, wouldn't you think that's even more appropriate?

(By the way, I think you don't understand what fraud means.)

they don't seem friendly at all, but I can kind of see where they're coming from.

people who stole codes should be thrown in jail for fraud

For everyone getting a laugh out of admitting to a crime, reposting my thoughts from the last thread:

The next time you want to complain about companies treating their customers like criminals remember this thread.

Is exploiting a system the way people did for these codes, against a law? I am genuinely curious about that.

yes, it's right there in the 10 commandments.

Lol, that is great. "Thou shalt not exploit thine energy drink companies".

Almost as bad at the Doritos double XP for Halo 4. You didnt even have to purchase the product. The code was stamped on the back of the bag. So my friends and I drove around taking pictures of the bags lol.

For two very large companies, I see they cant follow website recommendations for passwords. 8 characters in length with a pool of 5 character, two of which required to appear once. Terrible.

SaganIsGOAT

My MAIN issue above all else here is that by using the codes you are screwing over someone else in the gaming community. That's the point; just because you think you may not be breaking the law (YOU ARE!) you are still stealing from another gamer somewhere who wanted a code. I will not agree with anyone that thinks this is okay just because it's easy to guess, the means of acquiring codes legitimately may not be to somes liking, or because they have some vendetta against Bungie/Activision and think they deserve this. You are stealing from fellow gamers, that's what it comes down to. Don't be a piece of shit

Red Bull has a form to submit a screenshot of the tab if the code has already been redeemed:

http://energydrink-us.redbull.com/red-bull-quest

Each code only nets you one Focused Light consumable item on one console family.

To get the most out of it, you should retain as many high-EXP bounties and public event reward packages as possible, have the nightfall completed, have three incomplete weapons equipped w/relevant active telemetries, have four incomplete armors equipped, and have an incomplete subclass selected, if possible. 30 minutes goes by fast, but I added 135k+ XP to a new Gjallarhorn doing exactly this the other night.

JMizzlin

This exact thing happened with the Halo 4 Mountain Dew/Doritos promotion. People gave a lot less of a shit then, though.

Don't know why they thought this would be a good idea.

I had an error with the code I got from a redbull can I bought at 7/11, it actually worked on the red bull site but then the destiny site error'd out and afterwards the code said it was already used and I didn't have the offer on my destiny account.

I emailed the redbull support using the website, it asks for a picture of the tab/can and I attached one taken with my phone. 2 days later they sent me a new code to type straight into the bungie website, worked fine.

So yeah, I guess their way of handling this for now is to just send you a new code if you email the support. I think thats going to get overwhelmed though fast.

border

I don't know why people are so hung up on the "Is this actually illegal?" thing. If you're generating your own codes, you're depriving someone else of their rightfully-earned redemption. From an ethical standpoint it's clearly wrong. Legally it's probably a grey area, but I don't see what difference that really makes. Would you do this if it was a Steam Key, or an XBL/PSN subscription code?

I redeemed a code from a can yesterday -- I was actually surprised that it worked. I think I've bought my fill of RedBull.

This thread is the best thing I have ever read on GAF.

Sucks for legit RB buyers, but how could not 1 but 2 billion dollar companies not see the issue in how easy it would be to scam the promotion?

Also shame on Activision/Bungie wanting people to pay a few extra bucks for a mission on top of an already high priced DLC.

gatti-man

This thread is the best thing I have ever read on GAF.

Sucks for legit RB buyers, but how could not 1 but 2 billion dollar companies not see the issue in how easy it would be to scam the promotion?

Also shame on Activision/Bungie wanting people to pay a few extra bucks for a mission on top of an already high priced DLC.

Well you also get redbulll. Assuming you like redbull it's not a bad thing.

If I still played Destiny, I would've copped a ton of codes as well. Back in the day, Microsoft had some site where people could play online games to win prizes like Windows Vista discs (lol).

A bunch of folks, including myself, made macros to play the games which earned enough points for us to get tons of Vista discs. Some would return them to Wal-Mart shops for cash.
You are the reason we can't have Nice things.
"oh a Promotion, lets See how i can scam the shit out of it"

Nydius

Although it doesn't justify scamming, I can't even begin to imagine the amount of ineptitude necessary to design such a poorly constructed promotion code system. When people can just randomly punch in letters and numbers and walk away with a functioning code, all I can do is shake my head. To compare, I haven't had much time or need to post so I forgot my password. The forgotten password thing sent me a generated code that was infinitely more secure (and faster to generate) than this entire promotion.

Except for people who may be caught absolutely exploiting the situation (I would imagine the redemption site logs IPs of entries [if they're not COMPLETELY incompetent]), there's almost no way for them to address the issue. Since the codes themselves are technically "legit", there's no way for them to know if it came from someone facerolling in some letters and numbers or if it came from someone who actually bought a can or someone got a code legitimately online from a friend/relative because they have no access to a 7-Eleven.

I suppose the only thing they can realistically do now is either call off the entire promotion and just unlock access from the start OR people with valid cans whose codes don't work can file a claim to get the promotional material. The latter opens itself up to another set of scammers, though.

All in all, the amount of mismanagement and bungling of this game from the word go has been hilarious in and of itself.

You guys are a joke if you think this is ok

Considering what Bungie have done and the money-grabbing policies of theirs as of late, they more than deserve this. This whole promotional deal is stupid -- makes sense for something stupid to happen to it. I couldn't care less about other gamers; these marketing deals are shitty and now people will think twice about them, which will hopefully reduce such deals and encourage developers/publishers to reward those that purchased their games as opposed to continuously trying to extract more and more money from them.

joecanada

Considering what Bungie have done and the money-grabbing policies of theirs as of late, they more than deserve this. This whole promotional deal is stupid -- makes sense for something stupid to happen to it. I couldn't care less about other gamers; these marketing deals are shitty and now people will think twice about them, which will hopefully reduce such deals and encourage developers/publishers to reward those that purchased their games as opposed to continuously trying to extract more and more money from them.

ya i'm sure your " I couldn't care less about anyone but me" speech is going to encourage developers to be MORE beneficent.... if anything they should adopt your attitude and rape gamers for all they have.

If you disagree with a company policies, its pretty easy to just ignore their products, there's no reason to steal from them or screw over fellow gamers. you can literally just not buy their products.

preach on

Damn, this sucks for everyone who bought a can and was locked out of a code. Kind of astounding that [Bungie/Red Bull/Activision] apparently used such a simple code generation code for this though

Tigress

Scamming a contest is one thing. It's bad but not horrible (long as it is not something like this red bull one where you end up stealing codes from who ever bought the product. BEcause then you are taking away something from some one).

But returning them to get money back? Outright theft. Yeah, those that did that should have been prosecuted for that. Those people are the reason that retail stores now have to get draconian about returns.

Top Bottom