• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Red Bull codes apparently had a ton of them compromised. The legend grows.

SFenton

Buying a Red Bull, now like going to the Cryptarch.

"Oh boy I hope I get something cool from this can!"
"Oh, it's nothing."

SaganIsGOAT

Sure, but what would you say to people not in North America?

Wait like any other person across the world for the FREE QUEST to open up for everyone? Red bull cans get you early access, some want that. If you don't want to support this promotion you can be patient and get access anyways.

Reebot

Wait like any other person across the world for the FREE QUEST to open up for everyone? Red bull cans get you early access, some want that. If you don't want to support this promotion you can be patient and get access anyways.

Actually under EU law being asked to wait for video game content justifies theft.

There is a XP boost attached to this promotion. So those in North America can level up guns and gear faster than those outside of it. It's basically a shortcut. Why shouldn't those outside of NA be angry?

doomquake

You would think the Destiny playerbase would love this

the idea of getting guaranteed XP with a can is an interesting idea..you could almost make it Amiibo like..so your guy drinks a can in the game and gets wings..if that makes sense.

yeah..

Destiny Amiibos..

I guess people whose code got used can wait along with everyone in Europe.

SaganIsGOAT

There is a XP boost attached to this promotion. So those in North America can level up guns and gear faster than those outside of it. It's basically a shortcut. Why shouldn't those outside of NA be angry?

Isn't it like a 30 minute single use XP bonus? None of this justifies STEALING

I guess people whose code got used can wait along with everyone in Europe.

? I can't tell if you're being argumentative or sarcastic

Isn't it like a 30 minute single use XP bonus? None of this justifies STEALING
You can get up to 15 of them. That's 7.5 hours of extra XP.

And I'm not justifying stealing. I'm saying telling Europeans to just "wait till January" is a dumb solution when they are missing out on thing's like extra XP in a grind based game.

Reebot

You can get up to 15 of them. That's 7.5 hours of extra XP.

And I'm not justifying stealing. I'm saying telling Europeans to just "wait till January" is a dumb solution when they are missing out on thing's like extra XP in a grind based game.

Actual criminal act > giving some customers video game power ups

Since you can't seem to read,

I got a solution. How about Bungie let those not in NA have access to this stuff in some way? Which part of that is bad?

ape2man

i'm against using codes you guessed just because you are making someone else his code useless.

But its not stealing, if you are able to figure out a code for some promotion you are not stealing anything. The other side is that you are fucking over someone who got a code on some product.

But its not stealing, not by law (i believe) and not when you can literarily guess the code.

What is this Dickbutt you speak of?
1kLsLwV.gif

I didn't care enough to try to get one of these codes and I play Destiny every day. If this is the greatest quest ever maybe I'll buy a can of that flith or wait.

Tigress

I think it's more akin to saying is it a homeowner's fault for being robbed if they left their door unlocked? No, but it's still a pretty stupid thing to do.

You know, I don't agree with people who say it's your fault for leaving the door open. But I can completely agree with this statement. It's not your fault, it's the fault of the thief fully, they chose to steal. That being said, it's still not wise to leave your door open cause there are thieves out there who don't care that they shouldn't steal your stuff.

This was dumb on red bull/bungie's part (whoever decided how to do the codes). But that doesn't excuse the people who took advantage of it (especially if they knew it meant that some one was going to get an invalid code at some point cause they took it).

benjammin

So people who willingly wanted to support this deserve to be robbed? Okay then

Robbed? It's a 4 dollar can of Red Bull, get off your high horse Mr. Melodramatic. People have been stealing codes off of packaging since codes started coming bundled with junk food. That's an inherent flaw in the system. But that's not why the codes aren't usable, it's because Activision/Bungie/Red Bull made the codes stupid simple to crack, so people are entering random combinations of digits and getting the codes to work. It's the equivalent of using "password" as your password and getting upset when people "hack" your account. Activision and Red Bull shouldn't have been so stupid with their code generation system. I never said anyone deserved anything, just that I don't feel bad for every party involved dropping the ball.

Nipo

I was curious in the last thread but couldn't find any in my searching.

Did you find any case law to support the assertion it is a criminal act? I could see a few strong examples for it being a civil infraction but I wasn't able to locate any precedent for it being criminal.

I'd love to read any links to cases you found.

joecanada

I didn't care enough to try to get one of these codes and I play Destiny every day. If this is the greatest quest ever maybe I'll buy a can of that flith or wait.

haha see here is a man with morals ... wait it out or stoop to drinking piss water with caffeine in it.... two admirable choices... drink your filth like a man!

I don't actually mind redbull too much but the post was hilarious... also monster rehab kicks redbull ass.

SaganIsGOAT

Robbed? It's a 4 dollar can of Red Bull, get off your high horse Mr. Melodramatic. People have been stealing codes off of packaging since codes started coming bundled with junk food. That's an inherent flaw in the system. But that's not why the codes aren't usable, it's because Activision/Bungie/Red Bull made the codes stupid simple to crack, so people are entering random combinations of digits and getting the codes to work. It's the equivalent of using "password" as your password and getting upset when people "hack" your account. Activision and Red Bull shouldn't have been so stupid with their code generation system. I never said anyone deserved anything, just that I don't feel bad for every party involved dropping the ball.

"Sometimes people get what they deserve." You said that. And now you're trying to justify shitty behavior by equating the seriousness of the theft with the value of the item. So what if it's a 60 dollar code or a 1 dollar code, don't fucking be a cunt and steal from paying customers. Jesus is that so hard to understand? So what if you don't agree with this promotion, people are still getting robbed. Maybe a measly $4 isn't much to you but at the the end of the day someone who went out of their way with their money willingly gets screwed. Yes the system is flawed they're using, but just just because you can guess random digits to get a code doesn't mean you should do it.

Occam

I was curious in the last thread but couldn't find any in my searching.

Did you find any case law to support the assertion it is a criminal act? I could see a few strong examples for it being a civil infraction but I wasn't able to locate any precedent for it being criminal.

It certainly is not theft in a legal sense, because nothing is stolen [from those who have purchased codes by buying cans] . However, by entering random codes you gain access to something you aren't entitled to, and by doing so invalidate someone else's codes, causing them damage.

Reebot

Been waiting to use that one?

So I expect you wrote that in snarky jest but I actually did the research. Pretty interesting stuff.

Right from the get go, we can see this action violates section 3B of the terms of use, which already may constitute an illegal act under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. There's a proposed amendment which would explicitly exclude violating terms of use from being criminal; the existence of this amendment in and of itself speaks to the current (probably illegal) nature of the action. I'll link the info - I really do think you're not actually interested but maybe I'm wrong

Let's break away from all these technological concerns and think just about the basics. Theft. Is this it? Yes. This applies to all you California GAFers at least. CA penal code 484d (2) defines "Access card" means any card, plate, code, account number, or other means of account access that can be used, alone or in conjunction with another access card, to obtain money, goods, services, or any other thing of value, or that can be used to initiate a transfer of funds, other than a transfer originated solely by a paper instrument. And anyway you slice it, that DLC is a good, service, or thing of value. So now with these in mind, we got ourselves a whole bundle of possible violations.

My personal favorite is 484e (4), which by itself makes the possession and use of these codes an illegal act. 484g also speaks pretty directly to the issue. Keep reading down the list to see many, many more. Without exploring the (genuinely) exciting, interesting world of interstate and international legal intersection, its pretty easy to say that yeah, this is illegal.

So, anyway, glad to give you what you love.

Occam

Been waiting to use that one?

So I expect you wrote that in snarky jest but I actually did the research. Pretty interesting stuff.

Right from the get go, we can see this action violates section 3B of the terms of use, which already may constitute an illegal act under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. There's a proposed amendment which would explicitly exclude violating terms of use from being criminal; the existence of this amendment in and of itself speaks to the current (probably illegal) nature of the action. I'll link the info - I really do think you're not actually interested but maybe I'm wrong

Let's break away from all these technological concerns and think just about the basics. Theft. Is this it? Yes. This applies to all you California GAFers at least. CA penal code 484d (2) defines "Access card" means any card, plate, code, account number, or other means of account access that can be used, alone or in conjunction with another access card, to obtain money, goods, services, or any other thing of value, or that can be used to initiate a transfer of funds, other than a transfer originated solely by a paper instrument. And anyway you slice it, that DLC is a good, service, or thing of value. So now with these in mind, we got ourselves a whole bundle of possible violations.

My personal favorite is 484e (4), which by itself makes the possession and use of these codes an illegal act. 484g also speaks pretty directly to the issue. Keep reading down the list to see many, many more. Without exploring the (genuinely) exciting, interesting world of interstate and international legal intersection, its pretty easy to say that yeah, this is illegal.

So, anyway, glad to give you what you love.

Thinking about it, removing this digital property from Red Bull's ownership without their consent could indeed be seen as theft. However, there is no act of theft taking place between those who legally obtain codes by buying cans and those who invalidate them by entering codes at random; that's a different kind of damage.

Reebot

Thinking about it, removing this digital property from Red Bull's ownership without their consent could indeed be seen as theft. However, there is no act of theft taking place between those who legally obtain codes by buying cans and those who invalidate them by entering codes at random; that's a different kind of damage.

Well there's no "could indeed" about it; I directly cited the penal code in my post. Both instances are actually violations, with separate victims.

Apt101

I've stopped by every local 7-11 (which, like many cities, is a lot) and none even have these cans. They all have ads for them affixed to the coolers, but no such product.

Pizza

Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's not stealing.

Yeah, I've been following the destiny shitshow and as scummy as this dlc is and as dumb as red bull was to make their code so easy to break it sucks for the people who broke down and bought silly energy drinks for this stuff and now can't use it.

I'm glad this is a problem red bull/Activision has to deal with, and that this will hopefully get some bad press. I doubly hope the people swindled out if silly dlc get compensated somehow!

Top Bottom