• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

I guess. There were also more "organic" transformations like Master Roshi's muscular form, Tenshinhan's extra arms and body doubles, Piccolo's giant form, Launch, etc.

And Oolong, and Pu'ar, and Man-Wolf. Transformations have been all over the place from pretty close to day one.

I really dislike Gotenks. Still find it ridiculous even for DB standards that two children can become one of the strongest fighters in the universe by doing a dance. And reaching SSJ3? Ugh. Even makes Vegeta look bad in contrast.

Plus the attitude. The kids are better separate.

Literal joke character.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
But it only happened twice or am i wrong?

It wasnt as common as "yeah lets just go Super Saiyan 1 2 3 and beat the crap out of them"

yah

one that killed grandpa gohan (off scene)
one in pilaf castle
one during the martial art tournament

Still have to watch this. But first, a re-watch of Z (it's been 10 years for me)
So if this picks up immediately after the end of Z, does it ignore/overwrite GT? (haven't ever seen it yet)

I really do wonder if Super will ever pick up post Z during GTs supposed timeline. I really hope they go on that territory for the Universe 6 saga

NeonZ

Still have to watch this. But first, a re-watch of Z (it's been 10 years for me)
So if this picks up immediately after the end of Z, does it ignore/overwrite GT? (haven't ever seen it yet)

It starts after the Buu Saga, but before the two epilogue episodes, so it's not overwriting GT yet. It basically ignores it anyway, considering how it'll (re)introduce transformations that don't exist there.

I don't have anything to add right now other than this hilarious picture of Rambo Puar.

23EGLLKl.png

love Puar

Sciz

Reread the 22nd Budokai for fun and a couple things stood out to me:

One, Krillin pulls off his first kamehameha, having never even attempted it before, by assuming that if Yamcha could it it, it couldn't be all that hard.

But for all that people give Yamcha shit for hitting the dirt nonstop, he at least managed to kick Goku's teeth in the first time they met.

Chaozu's only notable moment of relevance consists of getting his ass kicked by Krillin in a match where he had the advantage of flight and psychic powers, wherein he lost due to getting distracted by Krillin yelling basic arithmetic at him. He follows this up with failing to get a wish out before getting instagibbed by Piccolo, getting his ass kicked offscreen by Taopaipai, and self-destructing.

One, Krillin pulls off his first kamehameha, having never even attempted it before, by assuming that if Yamcha could it it, it couldn't be all that hard.

But for all that people give Yamcha shit for hitting the dirt nonstop, he at least managed to kick Goku's teeth in the first time they met.

Chaozu's only notable moment of relevance consists of getting his ass kicked by Krillin in a match where he had the advantage of flight and psychic powers, wherein he lost due to getting distracted by Krillin yelling basic arithmetic at him. He follows this up with failing to get a wish out before getting instagibbed by Piccolo, getting his ass kicked offscreen by Taopaipai, and self-destructing.

Goku was hungry so is basically cheating

They need to make old characters relevant again so it's not just Goku/Vegeta and an army of useless characters that stand around and do nothing.

Yamcha and Hercule should train together with Elder Kai.

Tien and Piccollo should try fusion.

Krillin needs to have his potential unlocked by feasting on Frieza's frozen corpse.

munchie64

They need to make old characters relevant again so it's not just Goku/Vegeta and an army of useless characters that stand around and do nothing.

Yamcha and Hercule should train together with Elder Kai.

Tien and Piccollo should try fusion.

Krillin needs to have his potential unlocked by feasting on Frieza's frozen corpse.
Who?

MikeMyers

Chaozu never even interacts with Goku. At least Yamcha did some important stuff in the first 13 episodes.

It starts after the Buu Saga, but before the two epilogue episodes, so it's not overwriting GT yet. It basically ignores it anyway, considering how it'll (re)introduce transformations that don't exist there.

Thanks. When I've finished Z, there should be a good number of Super episodes. If it really turns out to pretty much ignore GT, I'll just skip it. It seems to the least popular DB anyway.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So I just read the wikipedia page for this to get a sense of the plot.

Is it just retreading and stretching out the plot of Battle of Z? So does this mean Battle of Z is also considered non-canon with the rest of the movies?

Malajax

Is it just retreading and stretching out the plot of Battle of Z? So does this mean Battle of Z is also considered non-canon with the rest of the movies?

You mean battle of gods. And not really. The old movies couldn't have happened without explaining some major plot holes (with a few exceptions). Battle of Gods and Revival of F are being adapted into Super. While there may be some changes, both of those movies events happen canonically in some form. We just don't know how much content will make the transition.

NeonZ

Well, there's the question of whether Super is even canon. So far, it's very minor, but they've been including filler characters, like Satan's disciples and Gregory, while the movies had completely avoided that.

Welfare

Well, there's the question of whether Super is even canon. So far, it's very minor, but they've been including filler characters, like Satan's disciples and Gregory, while the movies had completely avoided that.

Super is canon. Gregory was a Toriyama creation for the anime and Satan's students were basically background.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I always wonder , Why do people care about canon in dragon ball?

I appreciate consistency in everything I watch.

But I only asked because Battle of Gods was pitched to me by the girl I was dating at the time as a canon continuation to DBZ and that in the movie Beerus alludes to other timelines / dimensions, which would explain the inconsistencies of the previous movies. So finding out that movie is being retold in the show is just a little confusing.

NeonZ

Super is canon. Gregory was a Toriyama creation for the anime and Satan's students were basically background.

Super is based on an outline from Toriyama expanded by Toei's writing team. We have no idea how "expanded" it is or if Toriyama is actually willing to follow this final product with whatever he does in the future.

Gregory was designed by Toriyama, but so were many of the movie villains, and, in spite of designing him, he was never added to the manga, and didn't appear in Battle of Gods. which was specifically described as a manga sequel several times, something that hasn't happened with Super so far.

I appreciate consistency in everything I watch.

But I only asked because Battle of Gods was pitched to me by the girl I was dating at the time as a canon continuation to DBZ and that in the movie Beerus alludes to other timelines / dimensions, which would explain the inconsistencies of the previous movies. So finding out that movie is being retold in the show is just a little confusing.

Battle of Gods was originally described by Toriyama and the movie's script writer as a continuation of the manga's story, even making reference to the chapter numbers regarding the epilogue (rather than anime episodes) and how it'd take place before that. It's not clear what's the current position regarding those movies now.

Servbot24

Banned

I might be wrong but I don't think there really is a canon or non-canon.

I might be wrong but I don't think there really is a canon or non-canon.

This. DB started out as a gag manga, and is still one at heart. Toriyama and Toei just want to tell a fun story without caring too much about plotholes.

I think we should just be glad that Toriyama is so honest about his creative process, unlike such writers as for example George Lucas, Nintendo (Zelda series), etc., who pretend that they always have everything planned and that there's no inconsistencies in their stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom