• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
This. DB started out as a gag manga, and is still one at heart. Toriyama and Toei just want to tell a fun story without caring too much about plotholes.

I think we should just be glad that Toriyama is so honest about his creative process, unlike such writers as for example George Lucas, Nintendo (Zelda series), etc., who pretend that they always have everything planned and that there's no inconsistencies in their stories.

Like Krillin both having a nose and not having a nose.

Anyone playing the dbz card game by the way?

Do you mean THIS?

16v2_848685478347893_527f4_p-16a-cmyk.jpg

If so, absolutely. I don't know why there isn't an OT for it, but it definitely needs to be a thing.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Dragon Ball is the only series that started as a parody of what it became...

In the first tourney, Jackie Chun and Krillin were so fast, that the audience couldn't see what they were doing, so they had to act it through, to explain it. That was HILARIOUS.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"DERRR! I KILLED DA DINOSUARZ!"

"BUT CAPTN! DA DINO'S STILL ALIVE!"

"SHUT UP DINOS DONT EXIST!"

Yeah, i've been saying it for a while, but its kinda obvious that Toriyama doesn't really care about consistency at this point.

But its not as if he needs to, its not a world class story he's crafting to begin with. Its some dumb guy who wants to beat up people who can blow up planets with laser beams and screaming loudly.

Golden Frieza looks boss as fuck. I don't get the hate for it unless you're expecting a golden final Cooler form which would be even more boss

I still think he looks like some failed deviant art creation, or would be what an 8 year old would come up with in a dragon ball character creator in xenoverse.

Maybe the movie will change my mind.

NeonZ

So, after RoF, does anyone still think that Kuririn is stronger than Tenshihan?

Anyway, Golden Freeza is basically a Gold 4th form Cooler. His biggest design differences all come straight from Cooler, like the chest armor, no shoulder orbs and the purple face. They should just have gone straight to the 5th form design if they were just going to reuse one of his forms. Maybe we'll get it in Super since it seems to be using some filler elements. Aside from the cameos that actually already happened, that scene with Saiyan God Goku in the opening really reminds me of the Dragon Fist, with the translucent ShenLong.

Well, it probably won't happen though.

Fj0823

Yeah, i've been saying it for a while, but its kinda obvious that Toriyama doesn't really care about consistency at this point.

But its not as if he needs to, its not a world class story he's crafting to begin with. Its some dumb guy who wants to beat up people who can blow up planets with laser beams and screaming loudly.

To be fair, he said Dinosaurs pissed him off so he partially destroyed the planet.

He never said he killed all dinos

Anyway, Golden Freeza is basically a Gold 4th form Cooler. His biggest design differences all come straight from Cooler, like the chest armor, no shoulder orbs and the purple face. They should just have gone straight to the 5th form design if they were just going to reuse one of his forms. Maybe we'll get it in Super since it seems to be using some filler elements. Aside from the cameos that actually already happened, that scene with Saiyan God Goku in the opening really reminds me of the Dragon Fist, with the translucent ShenLong.

He calls it a new evolution instead of a transformation in the movie so really it's not supposed to be a new form in the same vein of Cooler's 5th form. Freeza has always been effeminate and very simple looking, which contrasts what you would expect from someone being called the strongest being in the universe.

Having him go hulking out like Cooler's fifth form would be too much of a change in his character and go against the usual Dragon Ball theme. That it's generally the most unassuming characters who look simple and weak that you need to watch out for.

As for the Golden Form itself, it took a while to get used to, but I like that it makes some changes yet keeps Freeza familiar instead going the Cooler 5th form route which is fitting for a "further evolution".

I think with Chanpa in the mix Frieza might get saved last second or something. I'd love that anyway.

zulux21

Gohan's role in this shoe kills me on the inside.

The man who beat Cell with one arm is currently Krillin status.

to be fair he merely figured out something his father hasn't.
there is more to life than fighting.

he would rather spend his time with his attractive wife then go train and once he has his kid he would rather help raise his kid instead of running off to train or fight.

can't fault a kid for growing up into a responsible adult, especially when you came from a broken home with two bad parents (goku doesn't really know how to love his children, he only knows how to train and fight, thus isn't a good role model. Chichi while having her heart in the right place also never really figured out how to love her children but merely used brute force to attempt to mold gohan into the smartest person in the world even if it meant him crying himself to sleep.)

anyways, I am sure gohan will get some random power up to be the strongest again for a little bit only to be outdone by dad in the end.

I never got that particular complaint... The dinosaurs used to be the dominant species on Earth, Beerus destroyed most of them and the ones that survived aren't dominant anymore. People are really reaching if they see that as an inconsistency.

Freeza killed the Saiyans too and yet 5 of them survived. It makes total sense that the dinosaur species survived too when Beerus didn't even blow up the planet unlike Freeza with Planet Vegeta.

I never got that particular complaint... The dinosaurs used to be the dominant species on Earth, Beerus destroyed most of them and the ones that survived aren't dominant anymore. People are really reaching if they see that as an inconsistency.

Freeza killed the Saiyans too and yet 5 of them survived. It makes total sense that the dinosaur species survived too when Beerus didn't even blow up the planet unlike Freeza with Planet Vegeta.

Or maybe Beerus just killed all feathered dinosaurs which we never actually saw in the anime and the dinosaurs now on earth are either non-feathered or just giant lizards....

NeonZ

Or perhaps the dinos in db/z/s were brought back by capsule corp by mixing their dna with frog dna.

Well, if you go by Dr.Slump, Arale brought them from the past. You shouldn't do that though, because in spite of the crossover chapters, it's obvious they don't take place in the same setting.

Aiii

So not worth it
You are all assuming that Toriyama is writing the dialogue for the show. I think it's more likely he just does the outlines and principal writing is out of his hands completely.

NeonZ

Each episode so far has had a different script writer too. I really doubt a throw away line like that was part of Toriyama's story outline, although, of course, no one can say for sure without seeing the outline itself.

Arthropods/Insects have always been the dominating species on Earth.
They evolved long before backboned animals, were the first to climb out of the ocean and have been dominating ever since. You could argue they were responsible for evolving plants to spread across the land which in turn paved the way for all other life by creating a bounty of plant and insect food.

Humans think they own this world, but it's the bugs folks.

You are all assuming that Toriyama is writing the dialogue for the show. I think it's more likely he just does the outlines and principal writing is out of his hands completely.

according to the wikipedia page it shows

Written by Akira Toriyama (Story & Character Draft)

But yeh, who knows where whomever wrote the page got the info.

All I know is I'm enjoying the season so far. I kind of like how it is showing the leadup to the BoG movie with just a little bit of a retelling of Beerus. Wonder how long they will spend on the actual movie and how much will change from what happened in the BoG movie.

munchie64

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/super/eps-001/
The Kanzenshuu episode guides include translated credits for all episodes. Looking at episode one Toriyama has the credit of Original Author / Story Draft / Character Drafts in the opening.
Every episode seems to have a credit of Scenario in the end credits which would probably be an episode writer right?
There's of course a director for both the episode and series too.

NeonZ

Every episode seems to have a credit of Scenario in the end credits which would probably be an episode writer right?

"脚本" can also be translated as "script" or "screenplay", which makes their position clearer in this case. Each episode so far had a different script writer, although Toriyama is credited in all of them for his participation with Original Author / Story Draft / Character Drafts.

they are probably waiting for the Cartoon Network Kai run to catch up to the Buu saga before releasing it. Wouldn't doubt it. Didn't they do similar with the old run of DBZ when the DVD Shenron box sets were being released?

Zunja

Absolutely needs to be a thing. Wonder how one might draw more attention to it. The game can never get enough press.

I was actually trying to get into it. One of the big problems I ran into was figuring out what I can by. I wanted to by the Buu starter deck but found out that's for the old game which is incredibly similar to the new sets. I guess the new starters are those random ones? It seems to be tricky to figure out what to buy if you're on your own.

When does Ep 4 come out?

Also, as someone who started on the series in the early 2000s/Toonami era, it's funny looking back on the endless anti-Funimation purist wars of those days. Anybody in here remember the endless forum battles and site politics between places like planetnamek.com and the fans from the DBZOA (Dragon Ball Z "Otaku Alliance"), heh....

can't fault a kid for growing up into a responsible adult, especially when you came from a broken home with two bad parents (goku doesn't really know how to love his children, he only knows how to train and fight, thus isn't a good role model. Chichi while having her heart in the right place also never really figured out how to love her children but merely used brute force to attempt to mold gohan into the smartest person in the world even if it meant him crying himself to sleep.)

Huh?? Broken home? Bad parents? Taking this a bit seriously maybe? Goku and Chichi may be goofy at times and screw up (they're just a classic henpecked cartoon couple) but they're still loving parents who are loyal to each other with good hearts and they try. And when did Gohan cry himself to sleep as a direct result of something Goku or Chichi did on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom