• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| 28 Episodes Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm kinda peeved they release these new awesome movies, then they redo the whole thing in shittier quality and stretch it out so long.

Having watched Battle of Gods last night, I'm bothered they think the movie isn't good enough.. Why not just set it after the two movies?

Bah.
Yeah. Pretty annoying.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
With episode 4 it really feels like they're trying to drag this thing out as much as possible. Nothing of any real significance happens. I get the feeling that they don't want to catch up to the Resurrection F arc before the movie version is released on Blu-ray/DVD in October.

Didn't someone in this thread say that we should have been all caught up to the events in both movies by episode 5?

It was his only choice. Cell was obviously holding back and is a step or two above Goku. Only Gohan could have defeated Cell.

Though Goku could have trained an extra year and defeat Cell. Look at the dramatic power increase he and Gohan have gotten in there. An extra year would drastically boosted him and Gohan. That wouldn't bring much tension would it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It was his only choice. Cell was obviously holding back and is a step or two above Goku. Only Gohan could have defeated Cell.

Though Goku could have trained an extra year and defeat Cell. Look at the dramatic power increase he and Gohan have gotten in there. An extra year would drastically boosted him and Gohan. That wouldn't bring much tension would it.

They didn't even need to train. Gohan probably could have beaten Cell even without SSJ2 if goku hadn't given cell a senzu bean.

He's an idiot

NeonZ

I'm kinda peeved they release these new awesome movies, then they redo the whole thing in shittier quality and stretch it out so long.

Having watched Battle of Gods last night, I'm bothered they think the movie isn't good enough.. Why not just set it after the two movies?

Bah.

I don't think it's a matter of the movie not being good enough, it's likely because the new story is a direct sequel to these movies and they want people to know their plot even without watching the movies.

I also guess that Toriyama's "outline" is actually fairly small, so they're really stretching things to get as much as they can out of it.

He didn't want to steal Gohan's kill

NeonZ

The dramatic power increase was due to their new training method by attempting to use SSJ as a base form to minimize energy waste though. Vegeta and Trunks had a dramatic increase the first time they went in, but the 2nd time, due to not learning any new forms or anything, it doesn't seem to have resulted in much. Same goes to Piccolo, who didn't seem to get much out of it at all.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Eh...it was a completely idiotic thing to do from a practical perspective, but the fact that Goku had total confidence in his son's abilities? I'd say that's pretty good dad cred.
Goku only knew because fighting's all he knows/cares about. If you really dissect his character he's a class A asshole and really only gives a damn if it involves fighting. Granted that's what the show's about so the character only fits, but he definitely doesn't have any deeper redeeming qualities apart from being a nice guy in general. Really, if Goku wasn't even a nice guy you could mirror his character to Vegeta's, he just shows it less obvious

Goku only knew because fighting's all he knows/cares about. If you really dissect his character he's a class A asshole and really only gives a damn if it involves fighting. Granted that's what the show's about so the character only fits, but he definitely doesn't have any deeper redeeming qualities apart from being a nice guy in general. Really, if Goku wasn't even a nice guy you could mirror his character to Vegeta's, he just shows it less obvious

He's only an asshole because he doesn't know any better.

They didn't even need to train. Gohan probably could have beaten Cell even without SSJ2 if goku hadn't given cell a senzu bean.

He's an idiot

I doubt that since Cell wasn't anywhere near his full power against Goku. He didn't even consider doing it until he realized he was totally outclassed by SSJ2 Gohan.

While it didn't save him from getting jobbed he would have no problem if it was only SSJ Gohan.

I watched the raw footage, it was a cool episode. Happy to see the story's moving along. I pretty much expect us to be done with BoG by episode 13.
Goku v Beerus 1 will be done next episode and he'll peace out to ship, then we'll get 2-3 episodes of Vegeta enteraining/fighting beerus, with the last 5 or so episodes handling the SSJG fight.

I really hope japanese viewers are criticizing the King Kai voice actor as much as we are. I thought i read voice overs are recorded before animation, but he's not matching up at all. I appreciate them building up the characters though, especially bulma and number 18, even if I think beerus getting this much screen time is detrimental to him as a character. Part of his charm was he was mysterious and composed, except when he wasn't. Now he kind of look whiny, i dunno. Gonna be a good season and i hope this section ends with a new twist

The dramatic power increase was due to their new training method by attempting to use SSJ as a base form to minimize energy waste though. Vegeta and Trunks had a dramatic increase the first time they went in, but the 2nd time, due to not learning any new forms or anything, it doesn't seem to have resulted in much. Same goes to Piccolo, who didn't seem to get much out of it at all.

I think they defintely all got stronger. It's just a testament to how dramatic an increase cell had gotten when he attained perfection. Was it a funimation thing, or were the cell jr's really roughly as powerful as himself? I recall Piccolo, Vegeta and Trunks holding their own against them.

I just caught the newest episode while not much happened; I'm honestly pleasantly surprised with the animation being better than I was expecting from Toei.

It actually looks pretty good thus far.

Judging from the next episode preview the SSJ3 Goku vs. Beerus fight is going to look a lot better than it did in BOG.

angelic

Banned
I watched the raw footage, it was a cool episode. Happy to see the story's moving along. I pretty much expect us to be done with BoG by episode 13.
Goku v Beerus 1 will be done next episode and he'll peace out to ship, then we'll get 2-3 episodes of Vegeta enteraining/fighting beerus, with the last 5 or so episodes handling the SSJG fight.

I really hope japanese viewers are criticizing the King Kai voice actor as much as we are. I thought i read voice overs are recorded before animation, but he's not matching up at all. I appreciate them building up the characters though, especially bulma and number 18, even if I think beerus getting this much screen time is detrimental to him as a character. Part of his charm was he was mysterious and composed, except when he wasn't. Now he kind of look whiny, i dunno. Gonna be a good season and i hope this section ends with a new twist

I think they defintely all got stronger. It's just a testament to how dramatic an increase cell had gotten when he attained perfection. Was it a funimation thing, or were the cell jr's really roughly as powerful as himself? I recall Piccolo, Vegeta and Trunks holding their own against them.

disagree about beerus, hes a god, his main character trait is not giving a shit. i think he's hilarious as well as a savage killer with a sense of politeness, snaps at the smallest thing, but he can respect someone who stands up to him. the movie sums it all up perfectly in 90 minutes, while the series is a nice in depth look at him.

Bah.

Yeah but once it's done with the movie's mythology/recapping it's moving to its own long story.

(Right?)

NeonZ

Yes, that's a dub line. Cells just says that they're powerful because they're his children, not that they're as powerful as himself.

Bikkun

Neo Member
Yes, that's a dub line. Cells just says that they're powerful because they're his children, not that they're as powerful as himself.

Rule of thumb: If it's in the dub Android/Cell saga and someone makes a claim, it's probably bullshit.

jWILL253

Banned
Slightly off topic, but...

Vegeta is one of the most overrated characters in anime. Has a L count that is only surpassed by Krillin; Can hang with the help in a fight, but gets mollywhopped by any fighter worth a damn. In fact, he couldn't even hang during the Buy Saga without becoming Main Vegeta. He got whipped by Freiza. Which is funny, because Trunks just shows up outta nowhere and kills Freiza on sight.

Vegeta is one of the most overrated characters in anime. Has a L count that is only surpassed by Krillin; Can hang with the help in a fight, but gets mollywhopped by any fighter worth a damn. In fact, he couldn't even hang during the Buy Saga without becoming Main Vegeta. He got whipped by Freiza. Which is funny, because Trunks just shows up outta nowhere and kills Freiza on sight.

He was a beast in Frieza Saga, least I felt that way.

Welfare

Toriyama had to make someone the Worf.

He was a beast in Frieza Saga, least I felt that way.

Beats Cui
Beats Dodoria
Loses to Zarbon
Gets a free level up from Freeza healing him
Beats Zarbon
Blindsides Guldo while he's focused on Krillin/Gohan
Loses to Recoome
Gets a free level up from Goku healing him
Beats Jeice
Loses to Freeza
Gets a free level up from Dende
Loses to Freeza again

5/9 not a great record

Ifrit

Didn't someone in this thread say that we should have been all caught up to the events in both movies by episode 5?

Someone said in this thread that the first Goku vs Berus fight (with SSJ3 goku on Kaio's planet) would occur on the fifth episode.

So yeah, that info was actually true

2qDq5kKl.jpg

Such an awful father.

He's horrible. He put Gohan's shoes on the wrong feet to purposely make his feet deformed. What a sick bastard!

MikeMyers

Beats Cui
Beats Dodoria
Loses to Zarbon
Beats Zarbon
Loses to Recoome
Beats Jeice
Loses to Freeza
Loses to Freeza again

5/9 not a great record
He also beat up Ginyu-Goku, and killed Appule.

Beats Cui
Beats Dodoria
Loses to Zarbon
Beats Zarbon
Loses to Recoome
Beats Jeice
Loses to Freeza
Loses to Freeza again

5/9 not a great record

That's pretty good in the DBZ universe. Usually everyone loses constantly until Goku wins.

Just caught the episode. Uneventful but entertaining. It's still fun to watch the story beats from BoG play out just a little differently.

Looks like the next one should be good. And it may also feature the thick outline animation style, which doesn't look bad or anything, but it's a little weird how it jumps back and forth in this episode.

Vegeta's character arc makes total sense up until his death near the end of the Frieza Saga. After that, he just became a walking cliche with Toriyama just making up arbitrary stuff for him every new saga.

I feel like they're stretching out parts of the movie they shouldn't. I don't want to see a whole episode of Goku VS Beerus, because the whole point of that scene was to show just how quickly and effortlessly Beerus takes him down. Watching Goku, the guy everyone always waits for to beat the villain get crushed in 2 seconds immediately showed the audience just what the stakes were and where the tension in 30 minutes of birthday party is to be found. Of course Beerus can just toy with Goku (which he did in the movie anyway) but it kind of weakens the scene to turn it into your average DBZ filler fight

Astral Dog

Bah.

I hope Revival of F arc is a little more fleshed out, that movie was a bit lacking, while at least BoG introduced Beerus really well..

Sheroking

Vegeta's character arc makes total sense up until his death near the end of the Frieza Saga. After that, he just became a walking cliche with Toriyama just making up arbitrary stuff for him every new saga.

Don't even see where you're coming from.

Vegeta's arc post Frieza is probably the most defined and clear in the entire franchise, with the possible exception of Gohan's, which concluded first and with a fraction of the character development.

Vegeta's admission to himself that Goku was simply better is the best bit of writing in all of Dragon Ball IMO.

Heroman

Banned
Don't post this nonsense knowing he wasn't there for more than half of both of his son's lives.

Piccolo is a better father to both of them than Goku ever was.

Piccolo made a 4 year old spend 6 month in the wild by himself. Also piccolo is barely there in both gohan and goten lives.

Vegeta's arc post Frieza is probably the most defined and clear in the entire franchise, with the possible exception of Gohan's, which concluded first and with a fraction of the character development.

Vegeta's admission to himself that Goku was simply better is the best bit of writing in all of Dragon Ball IMO.

And then Vegeta reverts to his ways in the Gods Saga by being an equal rival again and one that would never consider fighting a common enemy together with Goku (despite the fact that they fought Kid Buu together in the previous saga).

They just keep making up arbitrary stuff to extend his development which had reached his logical end in the Frieza Saga.

Sheroking

And then Vegeta reverted to his ways in the Gods Saga by having him be an equal rival again and one that would never consider fighting a common enemy together (despite the fact that they fought Kid Buu together in the previous saga).

They just keep making up arbitrary stuff to extend his development which had reached his logical end in the Frieza Saga.

What a silly way to look at it.

By your logic, Gohan should have been written out 100 episodes before Z ended. None of the Dragon Ball originals had any business being in Z at all, except maybe Piccolo, and he could have stayed dead after Nappa.

You're allowed to have more than one character arc for a character. This show would have been worse if Vegeta were simply gone at the end of Frieza because a lot of the best writing and action centres on him past that point.

Goku's got a pretty good arc from the beginning of Dragon Ball through the end of Frieza saga.

Really.. nothing happened. Pilaf and crew get on a boat.. Vegeta gets a phone call while training and doesn't answer it.. King Kai's voice actor falls asleep.

Then Beerus shows up.

Kind of a waste of 20 minutes. Still, the animation and art was a lot better this time.
Hope they keep it going forward.

E the Shaggy

With Episode 4, now it feels like the series is starting to drag a little.

Feel like they spent half the episode just establishing that
Yeah, Pilaf and crew are idiots. We got it. We've always got it.

E the Shaggy

that feel when you realize the battle of gods retelling is going to be dragged out across 20 episodes

Yeeeaaahhh, It's gotta be at least 10 more, and then you have Freeza for another 15 probably.

Going to be awhile before we get into new story territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom