• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season Two, Part Two - Sundays on AMC

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair, it's not like the main show is the greatest thing ever. Every season it's like a good premiere, shit episodes in between, and a good finale.

Zoe

I'm thinking we're supposed to suspect she got out while the zombies dropped thousands of floors to attack Madison and Strand, but that makes no sense when what's her face should've heard her stomping out the stairs.

She and Alicia were able to get up to where they were without any problems. There's no reason at that point that she couldn't have just waltzed out the door.

Surfinn

After two pretty good episodes, we're back to boring. Who cares about all these side characters and their horribly dull contribution to the main story/plot?

Let's focus on 4 or 5 good characters and their relationship with each other inside of the group.

It's like they're talking just to fill time at this point.

To be fair, it's not like the main show is the greatest thing ever. Every season it's like a good premiere, shit episodes in between, and a good finale.

The main show is quite literally 2 great episode 2 good episodes and 4 hours of filler per every half season.

Surfinn

The main show is quite literally 2 great episode 2 good episodes and 4 hours of filler per every half season.

I agree. Though I would say that S1/2 (TWD) were pretty great overall, even if the setting/plot didn't change that much in S2.

Was just rewatching yesterday, that stuff is really well done. I think things really start getting bad in S3, even if there's lots of good episodes there. That, for me, was the beginning of filler. S2 had fantastic character development for lots of people.

But yeah.. I'd rather just see 6 episodes per season (FTWD and TWD) and have most/all be high quality than 15/16 with mostly BS filler. It's frustrating because it's hard to tell which ones are going to be good and you end up wasting a LOT of your time.

Moofers

Yeah let's all remember how we felt about the finale for the main show earlier this year. And for those of you who feel the first two seasons were the best, I think you're forgetting how hit and miss they really were. Remember the latino gangsters who were all big and bad until we found out they're all just protecting their grandparents in the nursing home? Or how about that rad exit from Hershel's farm with the infinite ammo and the kid driving the RV dying the dumbest death on television until being dethroned by the two guys who dropped ammo in the middle of a wide open space on FTWD earlier this season?

Yeah, main show is loads better and still pretty watchable but it has been pretty inconsistent with its quality over the years. Despite the flaws in recent seasons, I still feel the main show is at least getting better each season for the most part.

Surfinn

Yeah let's all remember how we felt about the finale for the main show earlier this year. And for those of you who feel the first two seasons were the best, I think you're forgetting how hit and miss they really were. Remember the latino gangsters who were all big and bad until we found out they're all just protecting their grandparents in the nursing home? Or how about that rad exit from Hershel's farm with the infinite ammo and the kid driving the RV dying the dumbest death on television until being dethroned by the two guys who dropped ammo in the middle of a wide open space on FTWD earlier this season?

Yeah, main show is loads better and still pretty watchable but it has been pretty inconsistent with its quality over the years. Despite the flaws in recent seasons, I still feel the main show is at least getting better each season for the most part.

Nope, not forgetting a thing (I've seen both probably around 5-10 times, am rewatching it now). Of course, no one said it's perfect but I think S1/2 are BY FAR the best TWD has to offer. The chemistry between cast members.. each person seems to have some part to play.. when they die we actually care about them and how that death impacts the group. The show works best when people are mostly together in the same spot, and not split into 4 or 5 different settings.. not because it can't work, but because the writers have shown (time and time again) that they're largely not capable of making compelling stories that tie into the main plot/story, and that they're almost incapable of introducing new characters we care about. Who do you really care about from Alexandria, maybe aside from Aaron? When was the last time they introduced someone you care about before Aaron?

The more characters we get, the less interesting the show ultimately is. It sucks because they continue to choose people who either can't act or are blandly written, or both.

When you watch S1 and 2, there are SO MANY useful and interesting interactions between the group. Of course it still suffers from some of the same issues the show currently does, but it's vastly more engaging than anything after it, IMO.

Sure, you can say "but they just stay on the farm the whole time and look for Sophia", and yes, these are valid criticisms, but compare what's done with the downtime of finding Sophia to the downtime we have now. In the earlier seasons, we get a variety of engaging interactions that raise a ton of intriguing conversation (which is what the show is all about).

In S2 alone, let's look at the conversation generated in what would surely be filler in newer seasons (episodes in between the opener and finale): Would you..

Keep looking for Sophia? For how long?
Leave your dying son to go look for your wife/offer a chance to save him by retrieving medical supplies?
Murder someone in cold blood (Shane, shot to leg) to indirectly save the people you love? Would you have done it differently?
Murder a prisoner in cold blood to secure the safety of the farm?
Think it's worth it for your son to survive in the world, the way it is now?
Hide that you're pregnant from your husband/others around you?
Try to have an abortion to avoid raising a baby in an apocalypse?

There's so much compelling discussion out of the downtime the characters have when searching for Sophia/waiting for Carl to get better. There's a lot of relatability in both the character interactions and trouble they're faced with. I don't feel like this happens as much in the later seasons and ESPECIALLY with the downtime between major plot points/story advancements.

I watched both of this and last week's episodes last night. Meh, they were okay. There were some decent moments, but nothing truly special.

Next week's episode focusing on Chris and the husband will probably be boring.

someday

Banned

Yep, I'm sure AMC figured with ratings that great on TWD that they really didn't need to do much more to make another hit with FTWD. Apparently the audience is showing amc that there is a bottom level to this slop and it does have some standards.

I get surveys from AMC about shows and I've filled out 2 for FTWD already (they send them to me, I don't choose the topic). They obviously realize the show isn't doing as well as they'd like and I guess are looking for reasons. I told them that, TO ME, the show was boring and that it was too early in the show for walkers to not be the primary focus of fear, the characters did nothing for me (minus Strand, sort of, and occasionally Daniel) and their personalities and motivations vary depending on the episode, the family dynamics weren't really compelling, the plots were designed to get a reaction and not to actually tell a story, the characters didn't behave like normal people, and by bypassing the beginning of the apocalypse (9 day skip) they set the show up to compete with twd much too soon with a cast that isn't nearly as iconic as Rick, Shane, Michonne, etc. I also said that after the finale bullshit with TWD that I was far less forgiving with FTWD and quit watching it in the first half of season 2.

Obviously this won't make any difference but I'm sure many others are filling out the same surveys.

Surfinn

Yep, I'm sure AMC figured with ratings that great on TWD that they really didn't need to do much more to make another hit with FTWD. Apparently the audience is showing amc that there is a bottom level to this slop and it does have some standards.

I get surveys from AMC about shows and I've filled out 2 for FTWD already (they send them to me, I don't choose the topic). They obviously realize the show isn't doing as well as they'd like and I guess are looking for reasons. I told them that, TO ME, the show was boring and that it was too early in the show for walkers to not be the primary focus of fear, the characters did nothing for me (minus Strand, sort of, and occasionally Daniel) and their personalities and motivations vary depending on the episode, the family dynamics weren't really compelling, the plots were designed to get a reaction and not to actually tell a story, the characters didn't behave like normal people, and by bypassing the beginning of the apocalypse (9 day skip) they set the show up to compete with twd much too soon with a cast that isn't nearly as iconic as Rick, Shane, Michonne, etc. I also said that after the finale bullshit with TWD that I was far less forgiving with FTWD and quit watching it in the first half of season 2.

Obviously this won't make any difference but I'm sure many others are filling out the same surveys.
Do you have a link to the survey? I'd love to help for their next show.

someday

Banned
Do you have a link to the survey? I'd love to help for their next show.
https://www.amcpopularculturists.com/Portal/default.aspx

I joined this many months ago and it's been fun. You occasionally get simple surveys, not all just about AMC shows. I have also received early versions of tv shows that I watch then fill out surveys about that. I've watched episodes of 3 or 4 shows that hadn't been released yet.

I don't know how you'd do the specific FTWD survey since it was about a month ago and they sent the link to me.

Surfinn

https://www.amcpopularculturists.com/Portal/default.aspx

I joined this many months ago and it's been fun. You occasionally get simple surveys, not all just about AMC shows. I have also received early versions of tv shows that I watch then fill out surveys about that. I've watched episodes of 3 or 4 shows that hadn't been released yet.

I don't know how you'd do the specific FTWD survey since it was about a month ago and they sent the link to me.
Wow awesome thank you for this.

Surfinn

Lol Madison, what a fuck up.

Alicia still being the reasonable one.

I will say that I liked what Alicia said to Madison at the end, about how she would never leave her family and how readily Nick did (mid season finale). First time I've genuinely liked her in almost the entire show.

And it's the first time the show addressed the ridiculousness and awkwardness of Nick leaving behind his entire family and chance of survival for literally nothing. I want to like Nick but some of the decisions the characters make on this show..

Good to see the episode start with more guts camo. Zombies at this point are no threat at all.

I want to like Nick but some of the decisions the characters make on this show..

I think the same could be said for nearly every character. Most have made some pretty stupid moves, if not several.

Surfinn

Good to see the episode start with more guts camo. Zombies at this point are no threat at all.

I think the same could be said for nearly every character. Most have made some pretty stupid moves, if not several.

Right but I think lots are at least forgivable/forgettable. There's a big difference between turning on the motel lights at night and forever leaving your family behind to venture through the cartel ridden deserts of Mexico.. alone.

And for literally no conceivable reason. It's probably the worst decision in TWD history, from a survival/common sense standpoint.

I get they wanted to split Nick off to have a separate story line but there are a million better ways to have gotten him to the same place.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season Two:

Episode 1: 6.7 million viewers and a 3.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 2: 5.6 million viewers and a 2.5 A18-49 rating
Episode 3: 4.7 million viewers and a 2.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 4: 4.8 million viewers and a 2.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 5: 4.4 million viewers and a 2.0 A18-49 rating
Episode 6: 4.5 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating
Episode 7: 4.4 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating

Episode 8: 3.9 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating
Episode 9: 3.7 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating
Episode 10: 3.0 million viewers and 1.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 11: 3.4 million viewers and 1.5 A18-49 rating
Episode 12: 3.6 million viewers and 1.6 A18-49 rating

Ratings are up for the second consecutive week, plus the show went up against the (albeit fairly low rated) Emmys.

Somnia

Ratings:

Season Two:

Episode 1: 6.7 million viewers and a 3.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 2: 5.6 million viewers and a 2.5 A18-49 rating
Episode 3: 4.7 million viewers and a 2.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 4: 4.8 million viewers and a 2.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 5: 4.4 million viewers and a 2.0 A18-49 rating
Episode 6: 4.5 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating
Episode 7: 4.4 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating

Episode 8: 3.9 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating
Episode 9: 3.7 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating
Episode 10: 3.0 million viewers and 1.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 11: 3.4 million viewers and 1.5 A18-49 rating
Episode 12: 3.6 million viewers and 1.6 A18-49 rating

Ratings are up for the second consecutive week, plus the show went up against the (albeit fairly low rated) Emmys.

Looks to me like it'll stabilize in the 1.5-1.7 range (the 1.2 was a rarity) and probably average 3.3-3.7 million viewers. If it stays stable the show will stick around.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Date of Death

Refugees flood into the hotel, including an unexpected refugee from the group. Meanwhile, Madison struggles to cope with the situation.

Tonight's episode was written by Brian Buckner, who last wrote 2.6 "Sicut Cervus" (the one where the group arrives at Strand's boyfriend's mother's compound) and was directed by Christoph Schrewe (Borgia, Mr. Robot), who is making his Fear the Walking Dead debut.

The guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead are:

Lorenzo James Henrie (Chris)
Elizabeth Rodriguez (Liza, Chris' dead mom from season one)
Drew Scott (co-host of the Property Brothers)

Bandit1

I'd say that was one of the best episodes of the season. Kinda disappointed Travis didn't waste all those dudes, but that's not really his style. About halfway through I was counting how many bullets were in that revolver. Chris shot once, Travis shot once, that leaves four, one for each of these jerks... Lol
I thought Madison's heart to heart with Alicia was good too.

And two hour finale? Kinda surprising.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
He's said to be coming back next season.

Goddamn it, guess I'll have to continue to watch begrudgingly. Just to see him flay people alive and get answers out of them.

By far the most compelling character in the cast, with Strand and Junkie Depp a close second.

jond76

Banned
I liked this episode. I thought for sure Travis killed Chris, but I'm pretty glad he didn't as that would be a touch too "Of Mice and Men"

I could really empathize with Travis and the heartbreak of watching his son ride off, possibly never to be seen again. My son is almost 5, and is a pure sweet, good boy. Travis said that Chris used to be a good boy with a good heart. Really made me feel for his character, having to watch his previously good son devolve into a psycho. Also Travis regretting his last words to his son resonated as well. Tough deal for Travis.

Good episode. Two hour finale!

Good episode. The second half of the season is really picking up. Not gonna lie. That first episode from this half really turned me off and I kind of tuned out for a couple weeks. Ended up catching up by turning it on the TV for background watching but got back into it slowly.

SURGEdude

Good episode. The second half of the season is really picking up. Not gonna lie. That first episode from this half really turned me off and I kind of tuned out for a couple weeks. Ended up catching up by turning it on the TV for background watching but got back into it slowly.

Best episode in a while. Despite not much action it wasn't mind numbingly boring like this show often is.

The only real misfire was the talk about Alicia's dad who we never met and have zero reason to care anywhere near as much as the writers seemed to think we do. If these characters had more depth it might have worked but instead it came off really forced. Too bad too because Alicia's character just needs a bit more time to become fleshed out and it might have been more impactful down the road than it was now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The writers have confirmed that Alex (the Asian woman from the airplane webisodes) will not appear in the finale, but they hope to bring her back next season.

Bandit1

The writers have confirmed that Alex (the Asian woman from the airplane webisodes) will not appear in the finale, but they hope to bring her back next season.

Interesting... I wondered if she'd be back, they kinda made a big deal about someone from the flight joining the cast.

This episode was better but everything was still dragged out. Didn't really notice that there was no zombies until it was over.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Interesting... I wondered if she'd be back, they kinda made a big deal about someone from the flight joining the cast.

I know, the whole way they handled that was bizarre. First they hyped up the webseries because "someone from the cast will be joining the main show!" (even going so far as to drag it out air it on TV), then they don't even bother trying to hide which cast member it is (from the very first episode it was obvious that it was going to be Alex), and then they finally brought her on the show only to do basically nothing with her. I mean, will anyone even remember her if/when they bring her back next season?

Hahah Brandon and his friend at the end of the episode standing at the gates. I hope Chris went bat shit crazy and they ran for it. But he probably got taken by the warehouse people ugh.

Surfinn

The first half or so was some of the best the show has had to offer, IMO. But the second half suffered from LOTS of the same issues that have plagued the show such as poor pacing and stiff acting. Whoever plays Alicia is a terrible, terrible actress and it looked like they deliberately cut her scenes as much as possible during the Madison reveal. They really need to stop giving her scenes where she has to deliver strong emotional performances because she comes up flat almost every time.

Too much talking toward the end; it really killed the great pacing of the beginning of the episode.

Maybe I missed it but.. why did they kill their injured friend again? What was the purpose? Why not just leave his ass behind if he can't pull the weight? And why did they kill their friend but not Travis (who literally shot at them)? Their friend who just happened to get shot deserves to die but not an outsider who essentially attacked them? Bizarre writing to me.

I give the episode a C (beginning was a solid B), pretty good but the latter half was flat and poorly executed.

Top Bottom