• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Round XV: Cross Assault Survivors Reunion | Fighting game tournament | Mar. 2-4

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Btw, did anyone care about AE by the time it came around at the end? Not hating or anything, but I was curious about the decision to move that one to the tail end of things.

Beth Cyra

Btw, did anyone care about AE by the time it came around at the end? Not hating or anything, but I was curious about the decision to move that one to the tail end of things.

It wasn't as hype.

Top three was really easy to guess and having Justin play Adon and Krone go up against Die was just a really long sequence of Die losing.

Krone kinda got things rolling but he destroyed everyone so badly, including Justin there wasn't much to do but watch the destruction.

Sixfortyfive

Justin was really off all weekend. What was going on with him?
As far as Marvel goes, it's just stubbornness with team selection. And maybe he's not taking the games as seriously as he should be.

The guy who knocked him out plays a very zoning and projectile heavy team and is pretty solid at playing defensively. After Justin lost with Iron Fist, he switched to.... Felicia. Now, I think Felicia is a pretty great character in general and all (duh), but if you're going to switch teams, why on earth are you not using something that is well-equipped for countering the task at hand? Felicia isn't that much better than Iron Fist at dealing with keepaway specifically.

tl;dr: Pick a top tier.

Duxxy3

My completely uninformed opinion based on absolutely nothing:

We're going to see a lot more storms

edit: oh, and phoenix teams are not viable

Beth Cyra

lol really? "Only won because of the counter match-up, herp derp." Is this guy serious?

And was anyone else annoyed when Skisonic was making excuses for Justin during Justin's match with Wolfkrone? I hate Ski's commentary so much....

This has happened every time I have heard Ski do a Justin match and have him lose.

First time I remember Evo 2k10 with TvC and before the final set match with Marn up 2-1/2-0 or something Ski was already saying how Justin was letting Marn win and all this other shit.

I don't know if it applies this time, someone mentioned Justin might have had some real personal issues waying in on him, then again he got up and raied the Rufus on the Adon player.

Varjet

Just caught up with the Marvel finals.
6qI1n.gif

Hell yeah.

Fivec

Banned
lol really? "Only won because of the counter match-up, herp derp." Is this guy serious?

And was anyone else annoyed when Skisonic was making excuses for Justin during Justin's match with Wolfkrone? I hate Ski's commentary so much....
Ski chalking Justin's missed Ultras up to tournament nerves was particularly irritating. No Ski, missed Ultras isn't a sign of Justin cracking, it's practically a -feature- of Justin's AE gameplay at this point. Pay attention.

This has happened every time I have heard Ski do a Justin match and have him lose.

First time I remember Evo 2k10 with TvC and before the final set match with Marn up 2-1/2-0 or something Ski was already saying how Justin was letting Marn win and all this other shit..

Really? Ugh...I wonder if he ever considers why so many people criticize his commentary.

When did SFIVs popularity start to wane? Viewers dropped by about 6k after Marvel finals.

First time I've seen it not get the peak viewer number.

Sixfortyfive

When did SFIVs popularity start to wane? Viewers dropped by about 6k after Marvel finals.

First time I've seen it not get the peak viewer number.
FR15 had the bizarre honor of having strong international competition in Marvel but not SF4. That's usually SF4's draw when it comes to views.

Kikujiro

It's been dropping ever since Divekick edition.

Not really since in Japan is as popular as ever. And if I remember correctly divekick edition was Evo main.

SFIV dropped in popularity in the US since everybody started playing Marvel and SFIV competition wasn't that strong (but it still pulls more entries). Worldwide is still the most popular FG.

Not really since in Japan is as popular as ever. And if I remember correctly divekick edition was Evo main.

SFIV dropped in popularity in the US since everybody started playing Marvel and SFIV competition wasn't that strong (but it still pulls more entries). Worldwide is still the most popular FG.

Of course there were more players playing SF4 at FR and it was getting very late for some.

SFxTekken has killed most of the hype I feel, certainly it has for me. It was a very good run, but we all know what we will be watching soon.

alstein

It took a few months to drop off, but it did, and I put that edition as the main reason.

I just saw my KOF match on Stream. Juicebox was right about me. That said, I think I was frustrated by Devilchipp's zoning, it's funny how what I used to do in previous KOFs kills me in XIII. I'm definitely riding team Outlaw now (Billy/Hwa/Raiden) though. I wasn't using Billy because some of the stations didn't have him, I can play other dudes, and I didn't want to hold the tourney up

Wait, Bala won KoFXIII?

México, ¡a huevo cabrones! ¡A la verga con Marvel!

I didn't think our local scene would win, but I think we won their respect. We're still a notch below the top players though.

Thats fair and just.

Like I said, I don't think the people wanting to play him and check his tech and skills is the issue.

I just think it's to much when someone is made uncomfortable to the point they are activily trying to avoid it.

Maybe he has a low threshold for that sort of thing.

I love how the internet wants to white knight for him now. I'm sure he was never in any actual danger and can handle himself just fine. FGC hasn't murdered a Japanese player yet.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
We all know that America's Marvel players have a lot of pride and the stream monsters are trolls. And now that the trolls have smelt blood, they will go in harder.

Yeah, people are probably kinda tight that he won Marvel. It's to be expected, though. Not like the Japanese would feel much different if an American came over there and won one of their big tournaments or anything.

As for the MM thing, he's the champ. Of course people are gonna want to play him. At least part of this seems to just be culture shock.

Marvel didn't finish until about 2am GMT, i would imagine a lot of the drop off was Europe.

That and SF4's bread n'butter is international competition, mainly between us and the Japanese. And ironically enough, it was Marvel that provided that this year and not SF4 at Final Round. Viewers would have dropped anyways after Marvel ended, but I'm pretty sure it would have been much less if we had a couple of Japanese players left like Tokido and Mago.

The drop off pretty much never happened when it came to entrances. But the stream audience has clearly shifted in Marvel 3's favor. And I think that was a combination of Marvel bringing more hype and us getting spoiled with watching the Japan vs US rivalry go down a lot last year. When you see one tournament after another with Daigo and Tokido coming down over and over like what we saw last year, it's kind of hard to go back to watching SF4 tournaments with only Americans.

Requeim

Pretty good tournament overall, some really hype stuff in there.

Yipes seems to have gotten his shit together for ultimate (yay!), which unfortunately means less commentary from him (boo!). I just hope Skisonic isn't the replacement if Yipes does well at other tournaments, because he is god awful.

Most hype moment for me was probably Fchamp vs Kusoru, that whole match was crazy.

Seeing Chris G get perfected was also hilarious, he has this great demoralized facial expression. I would like to see Chris G play Floe in marvel, there would be chokes everywhere.

Seeing Chris G get perfected was also hilarious, he has this great demoralized facial expression. I would like to see Chris G play Floe in marvel, there would be chokes everywhere.

He didn't choke, he got outplayed fair and square by Mihe. Once again he has shown himself to be clueless to his gameplan when Morrigan died, and his Firebrand is looking like day 1 stuff and nowhere near as good as the new Firebrand players building their team around him.

Requeim

He didn't choke, he got outplayed fair and square by Mihe. Once again he has shown himself to be clueless to his gameplan when Morrigan died, and his Firebrand is looking like day 1 stuff and nowhere near as good as the new Firebrand players building their team around him.

I agree, i did not say he choked in the game against Mihe however. He just has a habit of doing that in general.

Top Bottom