• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Xbox One S impressions from a lucky Norwegian

It matters as it future proofs the S a bit more due to it's support of HDR. Until you see the difference between a HDR movie and a non HDR movie, it is hard to show in images etc. It really makes an impactful difference. For gaming, we will not know until FH3 comes out and from what I hear, Gears of War 4 uses HDR as well.

There are some 2015 sets that support HDR, not many. It is mainly 2016 models and forwards that support it. Some do it better than others, some sets output higher NITS than others and this impacts the impact of HDR.

Some sets also don't have good local dimming and in those cases HDR just blows out the image and looks bad. I expect we get a lot of people saying HDR sucks because their TVs are crap.

mike4001_

Do we know if the OS is going to run any smoother? Half the time my launch day Xbone OS runs like dog shit. I'm assuming it's the same?

Will probably be the same.

Unless they upclocked the CPU a little bit to support HDR, but I kind of doubt it.

Scorpio will bring a significant boost for sure!

Logash

That controller is so sexy. I hope Sony decides to release a refresh of their standard controller with the Neo.

cackhyena

I'm seriously considering trading in my xb1 for the Slim at the end of August. That might be the best looking console I've ever seen. I just want to see if reviews say the sightly newer innards help the OS run smoother/faster.

c0de

I don´t have a photo on hand but PS4 is still smaller than the Xbox One S

But not by that much. Maybe 1 cm | 1/2 inch in every direction.

This thread says smaller in two dimensions, bigger in one. The volume size still has to be compared.

I'm seriously considering trading in my xb1 for the Slim at the end of August. That might be the best looking console I've ever seen. I just want to see if reviews say the sightly newer innards help the OS run smoother/faster.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I looked online at BB and the trade value was only $105. I may trade my jet-engine PS4 as well since it's $175. If I just go with the 500gb model, since I already have another 500 gig ssd I also use, I'll basically be getting the thing for "free".

Question: Does the BB gcu extra 10% apply to hardware trades as well because that might pay that extra little bit off.

cackhyena

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I looked online at BB and the trade value was only $105. I may trade my jet-engine PS4 as well since it's $175. If I just go with the 500gb model, since I already have another 500 gig ssd I also use, I'll basically be getting the thing for "free".

Question: Does the BB gcu extra 10% apply to hardware trades as well because that might pay that extra little bit off.
I'm GCU but I have yet to look at BB. My trade in would be 152 or something like that. I have the Sunset Overdrive edition. I'll have to think hard about whether it's worth it. I don't need more than the 500gb edition either. I have a 1tb external attached to my current one.

Just need some reviews! Wonder when they drop.

btags

I think the designer of that graphic misunderstood the math of making it 40% smaller by volume. It looks like they made it 40% smaller in each dimension, which would be closer to making the volume 80% smaller.

Does that make sense? Just a quick bit of math I did and I am probably wrong, so someone correct me if that is the case:

Say the OG Xbone is x by y by z, thus the volume is xyz. A 40% decrease in volume would then be 0.6*xyz.

If each of the dimensions was reduced by 40%, then the Xbone S would be 0.6*x by 0.6*y by 0.6*z, thus the volume would be 0.216*xyz.

Conduit

Banned
Will someone please put it next to a ps4

PS4 is smaller in width and height, but bigger in length ( because "parallelogram" shape )

I think the designer of that graphic misunderstood the math of making it 40% smaller by volume. It looks like they made it 40% smaller in each dimension, which would be closer to making the volume 80% smaller.

I don't see 40% size reduced in width :

WP_20160727_19_58_44_Rich_LI.jpg

krang

Does that make sense? Just a quick bit of math I did and I am probably wrong, so someone correct me if that is the case:

Say the OG Xbone is x by y by z, thus the volume is xyz. A 40% decrease in volume would then be 0.6*xyz.

If each of the dimensions was reduced by 40%, then the Xbone S would be 0.6*x by 0.6*y by 0.6*z, thus the volume would be 0.216*xyz.

Or it's just an exaggerated graphic meant to, over the course of 2 seconds, show people "it's smaller".

AndyD

aka andydumi

They mentioned that it's 40% reduced by volume compared to the old Xbox and power brick. So it's more like .6(xyz+brick volume). It's something that threw off a lot of the original graphics modeled.

But it looks great. I really like the fine texture/print of the dots on the right hand side.

amdb00mer

We already know they "lied" about the size of it but whatever...

looks really good, I wish it came in black too, I'll get the 500go one if the UHD drive is good enough...

How did they lie? Do you have the physical console? Did you do your own comparison by taking them apart and see if it really is 40% smaller? Just curious.

univbee

Well when you factor in no more power brick it's maybe 40% smaller.

But yeah, their initial before/after comparison was exaggerated as hell.

ghibli99

Gonna have to get one just for the lack of power brick and front USBs. I also really like the look of it, even though all my other consoles are black.

Peeps still be going on about the size? Wow.

M52B28

Banned
Gonna have to get one just for the lack of power brick and front USBs. I also really like the look of it, even though all my other consoles are black.

Peeps still be going on about the size? Wow.
People always have to have a measuring contest.

Gojeran

Is the controller different than the standard Xbone controllers? Can you buy one separately? Thinking about finally replacing my 360 pad here soon.

Conduit

Banned
He said it's the same APU in layman terms... that it's equivalent in performance, not that it's literally the same Jaguar they used in 2013...

And what the hell he should tell to everyone? He said it couldn't be more simple and understandable to everyone, it's the same SoC, it's the same APU, there is no difference. As someone said in other thread : "MS won't talked about it" LOL. What, there is some NDA? Smgh.

Like you said yesterday : "Stop acting so desparate"

You should stop acting like there is some mistically boost in FLOPS!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Is the controller different than the standard Xbone controllers? Can you buy one separately? Thinking about finally replacing my 360 pad here soon.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/xbox-wireless-controller
And what the hell he should tell to everyone? He said it couldn't be more simple and understandable to everyone, it's the same SoC, it's the same APU, there is no difference. As someone said in other thread : "MS won't talked about it" LOL. What, there is some NDA? Smgh.

Like you said yesterday : "Stop acting so desparate"

You should stop acting like there is some mistically boost in FLOPS!
You're gonna need to rephrase that because I have no idea what you said. And also explain how you got from point A to B in the second part. Where exactly am I acting desperate?

THE:MILKMAN

The poster of this video really hasn't answered any questions which is a shame. The comments are just the usual Youtube comments.

My guess just looking at various pictures of Slim and OG Xbox the size would be:

310mm wide
230mm deep
60mm high

I also still think this will be 28nm. Because why wouldn't Microsoft mention it being more power efficient along with the other new features like UHD Blu Ray and HDR?

N30RYU

My XBO is as quieter as the One S... and even that PS4 of the other thread with a fan replacement... but mine still works... or worked the last time I turned it on months ago...

Top Bottom