• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Poster Report: Sony cuts Vita shipment for France by 50%

test_account

XP-39C²
There's also the fact that the Vita has a packed launch line-up, unlike the Xbox 360.
Yeah, the Vita launch line up is pretty packed indeed.

Huh? Why not? They announced all those games you mentioned while they were working on MW3, ACR and Bioshock Infinite.
Sorry, i should have been more specific. I was thinking about on portable systems. Those games you mention are for consoles, and then they have a portable game as well. Even Capcom is working on Operation Raccoon City for PS3/Xbox 360 right now, so it is not uncommon to see one console and one portable game being made at the same time within the same franchise.

But to see two big titled games of the same franchise announced for two different portable systems (or console) before one of the game is already released and is "old", that is unpresedented as far as i know. Maybe you could see some "cheaper" spinoff being made though. Otherwise it is usually a game that is multiplatform, but Revelation isnt that.

I disagree with all of these points, but especially this one. Pretty sure Shu or someone said that they're profitable on Vita from the start? Not necessarily on hardware, but the console+game+memory card or whatever is profitable

Edit: here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434368

Euro is down ~20% against the Yen since those statements were made. Even if it was true at the time it's not anymore.

Dollar/Pound is only down ~8% which is why I think they will focus more on the USA/UK at launch.

KaYotiX

Banned
Vita is not doomed.

People saying this are just as crazy as those who wrote off the DS, PSP, 3DS, PS3 etc.

Time will make the reactions in this thread look stupid in retrospect.

Maybe, but its fun now :p

and IMO the PSP wasnt anything over here in NA, yeah it sold alot of units but never pushed software which is where they make the $$$.

KaYotiX

Banned
Im still on the edge about grabbing it at launch, i got the PSP/DS/3DS at launch so i may just say hell with it and do it. All these topics make me feel worried about jumping in day 1 also.

test_account

XP-39C²
Im still on the edge about grabbing it at launch, i got the PSP/DS/3DS at launch so i may just say hell with it and do it. All these topics make me feel worried about jumping in day 1 also.
My guess is that a price drop wont come before it has gone at least 6 months. And i dont think that the pricedrop is anything more than $50 tops. So i would look at it like this "i can enjoy the system for 6 months, but then i must spend $50 more. Or i can wait 6 months and then maybe save $50" :)

Carl

Euro is down ~20% against the Yen since those statements were made. Even if it was true at the time it's not anymore.

Dollar/Pound is only down ~8% which is why I think they will focus more on the USA/UK at launch.

Fair point but worldwide they should still be making a healthy profit on the business (games + memory cards + consoles), right?

I doubt they have that much to worry about in terms of profitability right off the bat

Maybe, but its fun now :p

and IMO the PSP wasnt anything over here in NA, yeah it sold alot of units but never pushed software which is where they make the $$$.
True, but it was a profitable venture for them and was the first handheld to ever truly be successful when released up against Nintendo's.

Mileena

Banned
My guess is that a price drop wont come before it has gone at least 6 months. And i dont think that the pricedrop is anything more than $50 tops. So i would look at it like this "i can enjoy the system for 6 months, but then i must spend $50 more. Or i can wait 6 months and then maybe save $50" :)

It's more a question of spending $250 on something that may be dead within a year or two. For me at least.

Vita is not doomed.

People saying this are just as crazy as those who wrote off the DS, PSP, 3DS, PS3 etc.

Time will make the reactions in this thread look stupid in retrospect.

I agree that Vita's fate is hardly set in stone just yet, but the problem is that after E3, Gamescom, and TGS, there's still no software announced that seems likely to substantially drive hardware sales beyond the early adopter crowd. Right now, the fundamentals necessary to turn sales around just aren't there - or at least, just aren't visible yet.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's more a question of spending $250 on something that may be dead within a year or two. For me at least.
I understood it like KaYotiX would get a Vita regardless, but he wasnt sure to get it at launch or wait for a pricedrop.

But about being dead in a year or two, if the PSP could manage for this long, then i think that the Vita can too. You might not see top support every year though, that is what happened with the PSP in the west after all. But i'm sure that the Vita will still see a good library of games, just like it is with the PSP in my opinion.

I agree that Vita's fate is hardly set in stone just yet, but the problem is that after E3, Gamescom, and TGS, there's still no software announced that seems likely to substantially drive hardware sales beyond the early adopter crowd. Right now, the fundamentals necessary to turn sales around just aren't there - or at least, just aren't visible yet.
Just wondering, what games do you concider to be a sign of driving Vita hardware?

Fair point but worldwide they should still be making a healthy profit on the business (games + memory cards + consoles), right?

I doubt they have that much to worry about in terms of profitability right off the bat

Will all depend on their expectations and how well it sells compared to those. Might not set the charts on fire but if they can sell an appropriate amount compared to what they ship then I think it should be a solid enough business that things could go really well as costs drop. If they over ship at first then they won't get the benefit of falling costs since the expensive launch units will stay on the shelf for a long time.

After the talk about breaking UK launch sales records I was thinking they were being crazy with expectations but hopefully with this news they are being proactive instead of reactive. This is good news for Sony's financial interests, bad news for people who want Sony to win the console war.

Takuan

Don't see a reason for mass panic, at least not until we start reading news of this happening in other countries.

Mileena

Banned
I understood it like KaYotiX would get a Vita regardless, but he wasnt sure to get it at launch or wait for a pricedrop.

But about being dead in a year or two, if the PSP could manage for this long, then i think that the Vita can too. You might not see top support every year though, that is what happened with the PSP in the west after all. But i'm sure that the Vita will still see a good library of games, just like it is with the PSP in my opinion.

Were PSPs $250 and being sold at a loss? Also, it came out when Sony's console was destroying the console war for free. Now, they're second or third place WW.

Takao

Banned
Explains why it's such a failure then. I thought it would have been like, $170 at launch.

Until last year the base line PSP price was $169, haha. Sony launched PSP in the west at $250, and cut the price to $199 bundle, and $169 solo in either 2006 or 2007. It wasn't until last year when they dipped to $129.

yurinka

3DS needed 2 weeks to sell 500K in Japan.
Vita sells 500K in Japan in 3 weeks while facing Mario+Mario Kart+Monster Hunter 3DS recent releases and it's doomed.

Sony drops 40K from a shipment and it's doomed.

Lol at the drama queens.

Pal land is Sony land, remember that is their main market. 40K less means is nothing here, maybe they moved them to other country like Spain where they sell PlayStations like hot pankakes even if they are 599€.

The European launch game list doesn't include a mega game seller, but it's maybe the best launch games line up ever seen here. A lot of really promising games compared to other launch line ups. It will have a great launch in Europe.

I bet that it will have better numbers in the European release than PSP and 3DS.

Tobor

Vita sells 500K in Japan in 3 weeks while facing Mario+Mario Kart+Monster Hunter 3DS recent releases and it's doomed.

Lol at the drama queens.

Pal land is Sony land, remember that is their main market. 40K less means is nothing here, maybe they moved them to other country like Spain where they sell PlayStations like hot pankakes even if they are 599€.

The European launch game list doesn't include a mega game seller, but it's maybe the best launch games line up ever seen here. A lot of really promising games compared to other launch line ups. It will have a great launch in Europe.

I bet that it will have better numbers in the European release than PSP and 3DS.
You're comparing the Vita to 3DS sales that led to an $80 price drop a few months after launch, and acting like it's good news? Lol.

Is Sony going to drop the price $80 this Summer?

yurinka

Factually incorrect but I'm sure you already know that.
Did 3DS sold 500K in 1 week? As I remember the week 3DS reached 500K was in the second when it reached 585K or so.
Didn't Sony announced in CES that Vita reached the 500K sold to consumers Jan 5th (20 days since launch if I don't mistake)?
You're comparing the Vita to 3DS sales that led to an $80 price drop a few months after launch, and acting like it's good news? Lol.

Is Sony going to drop the price $80 this Summer?
Yes, I am.
3DS now has good sales because it got a pricecut and big sellers and now the people don't think it's doomed.
Same goes with Vita, sellers and pricecuts will come (but not that soon, and I think Europe won't need them). It's still too early to consider it doomed specially when it isn't out in its main market.
But in this case won't be applied because people still thinks that a Sony game device that sells 70+ millions is a failure.
Even if Vita sells 90 millions LTD people will say it's doomed.
Likely. The PSP was a bigger hardware beast in 2005 than the Vita is in 2012.
PSP 2005 games weren't comparable to PS2 2005 games. But some Vita 2011 games look like really close to PS3 2011 games (obviously with smaller res/polycount etc but compensed with smaller screen), some of them are even in both systems and can share multiplayer and saves.

Tobor

Did 3DS sold 500K in 1 week? As I remember the week 3DS reached 500K was in the second when it reached 585K or so.
Didn't Sony announced in CES that Vita reached the 500K sold to consumers Jan 5th (20 days since launch if I don't mistake)?

Yes, I am.
3DS now has good sales because it got a pricecut and big sellers and now the people don't think it's doomed.
Same goes with Vita, sellers and pricecuts will come (but not that soon, and I think Europe won't need them). It's still too early to consider it doomed specially when it isn't out in its main market.
But in this case won't be applied because people still thinks that a Sony game device that sells 70+ millions is a failure.
Even if Vita sells 90 millions LTD people will say it's doomed.

PSP 2005 games weren't comparable to PS2 2005 games. But some Vita 2011 games look like really close to PS3 2011 games (obviously with smaller res/polycount etc but compensed with smaller screen), some of them are even in both systems and can share multiplayer and saves.
Haha. In what world is Japan not the Vita's main market?

This is some amazing spin. It's selling worse than a system that required a massive price drop to avoid failure, yet all is rainbows. Amazing.

krae_man

Is that really the case ? We know that the average income/wealth is a lot lower in Europe and I have doubts that (in general) wages are higher in Europe. There may be some jobs that get paid better, maybe there is more financial support from the government, but - including potentially higher taxes - I have my doubts whether the European middle class has a higher income. The lower class ? Maybe, but I'm not sure if they're the target audience.

I think average private debt is a lot higher in the US, but then again it's also extremely high in the UK, so that can't be the significant factor.

I'd say they're just trying to make a bit of extra cash. It's not "OMG Europe is taking it up the ass again" levels, but it's once again a bit more than in the US. Though to be fair, Europe is a lot more fractured (and different) than the US, so there's bound to be some extra costs, like localization.

The 1:1 rate is bullshit though.

I should have been more specific. Minimum wage is higher. I was referring to labor costs of the retailers.

Haha. In what world is Japan not the Vita's main market?.

Arguably Sony's, since they actually have a semi-coherent software strategy in the West (try to get the dudebro audience to buy it for Uncharted, Unit 13, Resistance, CoD, AC, etc.)... even if it's a completely unproven one that's almost certain to fail.

MC sales first 4 weeks tracked.
3DS-742244
Vita-482901(was 479449 before I edited)

Sony's announcement was for Asia.

Edit- Made a mistake somewhere adding things up, looks like Vita LTD is 482901

Massa

Haha. In what world is Japan not the Vita's main market?

This is some amazing spin. It's selling worse than a system that required a massive price drop to avoid failure, yet all is rainbows. Amazing.

Spin is describing a system that is selling amazingly well as a "system that required a massive price drop to avoid failure".

Do you really want to start playing the 'Here's X, Y, and Z to show that System A isn't doing that bad' game? Really?

Because the 3DS launched into the slowest sales period of the year (and in the wake of a monster tsunami) whereas the Vita launched into the holiday season.

And that it is 'facing Mario+Mario Kart+Monster Hunter 3DS' does not magically make shit sales any better, it just means that the Vita (and Sony) have to work that much harder to sell.

DR2K

Banned
Problem with Vita is that it doesn't have Mario to save its ass. A price cut may happen, and a MH may do well in Japan. (but 3DS is already getting MH4, so the Japanese don't have to buy it to get their MH fill) Where does that leave the rest of the world? What software is going to push the Vita? If it was in their first party then the PSP would have performed much better in its later years worldwide. What 3rd party is going to devote anything more than over priced dumbed down console ports? Vita is not going to survive on Japan alone. But yeah go ahead and keep believing the Vita is going to eventually do great because the 3DS did. That's exactly how business works. All Sony has to do is just wait for their Mario.

Acrylic7

sOwFk.jpg

If the entire top part of this was a screen and the bottom was a pad with real buttons the exact same size as the dualshock 3 and mini analog sticks then it would make a perfect Vita.

This, or a more pspGo slide design.
I still say the Vita that we have is ugly, they went in the wrong direction imo.

theBishop

Banned
Problem with Vita is that it doesn't have Mario to save its ass. A price cut may happen, and a MH may do well in Japan. (but 3DS is already getting MH4, so the Japanese don't have to buy it to get their MH fill) Where does that leave the rest of the world? What software is going to push the Vita? If it was in their first party then the PSP would have performed much better in its later years worldwide. What 3rd party is going to devote anything more than over priced dumbed down console ports? Vita is not going to survive on Japan alone. But yeah go ahead and keep believing the Vita is going to eventually do great because the 3DS did. That's exactly how business works. All Sony has to do is just wait for their Mario.

call-of-duty-4-12.jpg

?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

Lol at the drama queens.

lol truth

apana

If the entire top part of this was a screen and the bottom was a pad with real buttons the exact same size as the dualshock 3 and mini analog sticks then it would make a perfect Vita.

This, or a more pspGo slide design.
I still say the Vita that we have is ugly, they went in the wrong direction imo.

Isn't there enough space on the sides for an analog stick and buttons? They may have to decrease the screen size a bit but it could work. Like I said before I would use the bottom screen for some sort of gimmick, haptics ideally.

Cipherr

COD really is the Vitas "PSP-GTA" isnt it. This is some straight up Cylon all this has happened before all along the watchtower type-a-shit.

Why are we so confident that COD will rescue the Vita? Yes it sells like gangbusters, but not on handhelds.

Back when we thought that 3G could be used for multiplayer I thought COD would be the killer app. Kids playing COD anywhere, anytime.

The focus of COD is multiplayer, which requires the Vita to be connected to wifi. That can be pretty limiting. You won't being playing COD on the bus. You'll probably be playing it at home, which at that point why not fire up the superior version for the console you already own? Well, there is always gaming on the toilet I suppose.

Top Bottom