• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France: Four shot dead outside Jewish school in Toulouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasLegio

Banned
well this proves that you do not have to be intelligent to be a terrorist....

Just being mobile and able to handle a gun or detonation trigger should do it.

Security services need to keep better surveillance on known extremists as well as people travelling to Pakistan though.

CiSTM

Banned

Just being mobile and able to handle a gun or detonation trigger should do it.

Security services need to keep better surveillance on known extremists as well as people travelling to Pakistan though.

Have terrorist been known as intelligent at some point? I thought the general stereotype is uneducated young male who is severely brainwashed. Guys at the top of course can't be dummies but people who they sent out to do various dirty deeds aren't that bright at all.

Also there really isn't much securtiy service can do. You can't follow every move of every suspect unless you are willing to go full US on muslims. Even then you can only follow fraction of the possible suspects who might not even be real threat.

SmokyDave

Have terrorist been known as intelligent at some point? I thought the general stereotype is uneducated young male who is severely brainwashed. Guys at the top of course can't be dummies but people who they sent out to do various dirty deeds aren't that bright at all.

Common misconception. Many western islamic terrorists are well educated and come from comfortable backgrounds.

Kurtofan

Fundamentalists kill moderate muslims all the time, that has never stopped some from saying the whole of islam is evil.

I should have said "See?All Muslims are evil".Though this won't stop some people.

One of Le Pen advisers already talked about reestablishing the death penalty.

Zeppelin

Common misconception. Many western islamic terrorists are well educated and come from comfortable backgrounds.

Plus, we shouldn't forget about the old school of European terrorism, such as the Red Army Faction where many of the members had some form of higher education.

Mael

I should have said "See?All Muslims are evil".Though this won't stop some people.

I'm actually ok with that if people who keep denying Holocaust get the chair first.

These two sentences have almost nothing in common.

What does Muslim bashing have to do with potentially reestablishing the death penalty for convicted terrorist child killers etc?

CiSTM

Banned

Now that I looked into it, yes, it seems that way. I really was under the impression that 9/11 was among the first well executed attack that had well educated persons "pulling the trigger".

Mael

You would kill people for holding a stupid opinion?

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

I tend to be less forgiving to really stupid time wasters so...yeah.
Racists with 'France to French' slogans should also be deported after being given a course in French history.

Kurtofan

These two sentences have almost nothing in common.

What does Muslim bashing have to do with potentially reestablishing the death penalty for convicted terrorist child killers etc?

Because they're politically hijacking the murders?

Because they're politically hijacking the murders?

And what does that have to do with Muslim bashing? Or as you put it "See? All Muslims are evil"

The fact that this man (who admits his guilt and connections with al-Qaeda) happens to be Muslim is irrelevant. He is potentially a mass murderer and the Le Pen adviser is suggesting that people like that deserve the chair. I disagree with him, but that doesn't mean he's attacking all Muslims by stating that, as you suggested.

Kurtofan

And what does that have to do with Muslim bashing? Or as you put it "See? All Muslims are evil"

The fact that this man (who admits his guilt and connections with al-Qaeda) happens to be Muslim is irrelevant. He is a mass murderer and the Le Pen adviser is suggesting that people like that deserve the chair. I disagree with him, but that doesn't mean he's attacking all Muslims by stating that, as you suggest.

It's not what I'm suggesting, I'm just showing the mentality here.Using murders to help you get electoral votes is pretty low.

Mael

The fact that this man (who admits his guilt and connections with al-Qaeda) happens to be Muslim is irrelevant. He is potentially a mass murderer and the Le Pen adviser is suggesting that people like that deserve the chair. I disagree with him, but that doesn't mean he's attacking all Muslims by stating that, as you suggested.

Ok, for the last time LePen need to shut up about Death Penalty.
It's because of guys like this shooter that we don't have Death Penalty in the 1rst place.
Because Death Penalty is not dissuasive anyway and it's against the very tenet of the constitution now anyway.

Heck the only thing it means is that they want the guy killed and that's not justice, that's vengeance.

9/11 was done with cutters and other small knives.

Have terrorist been known as intelligent at some point?
Anders Behring Breivik struck me as very intelligent. In his opinion, everything, even his arrest and trial have gone as planned.

I thought the general stereotype is uneducated young male who is severely brainwashed.
Many islamic terrorists were/are actually well-educated, with graduate degrees.

Edit: beaten

Zeppelin

To be fair Marine Le Pen herself tried to spin it to her advantage earlier this morning according to the BBC:

Marine Le Pen, presidential candidate for the far-right National Front, says the "fundamentalist threat has been underestimated" in France.

Casp0r

Banned
What's that?

<cups hand to ear?>

The collective moan of liberals who were just begging this to be some right wing nazis freak so they could continue their attack on right wing politics, realising that the 'right wing' was right all along and that it was their peaceful religion that is always viewed terribly in the media and so they must just to defend at every possible opportunity?

Face it, Islam has some seriously dodgy followers. You can't deny that, and you can't jump on us for assuming them every time something gets blown up.

minus_273

Banned
somehow i suspect the reaction on GAF would have been different if it were a plain ole fascist and not an islamo-fascist.

Considering how pro-palestine europe/the left is, is anyone surprised this guy started killing jewish children in revenge?

apana

What's that?

<cups hand to ear?>

The collective moan of liberals who were just begging this to be some right wing nazis freak so they could continue their attack on right wing politics, realising that the 'right wing' was right all along and that it was their peaceful religion that is always viewed terribly in the media and so they must just to defend at every possible opportunity?

Face it, Islam has some seriously dodgy followers. You can't deny that, and you can't jump on us for assuming them every time something gets blown up.

Don't be childish. Are you saying that right wing nazi and white supremacists types don't commit murders? It could have easily been an example of that, most people were just saying that both were possible. We should be forceful in our condemnation of all extremist movements whether they are motivated by race or religion.

retrow

Looks like they just cut the power in the street where everything is currently happening... is something imminent ?

One of the quoted articles here suggested the one who killed the children got away so there are two, brothers? They've got the one who killed the soldiers?

retrow

One of the quoted articles here suggested the one who killed the children got away so there are two, brothers? They've got the one who killed the soldiers?
According to the reports, the man currently barricaded in his flat is the shooter involved in all the events. They also got his brother and other members of his family. His brother is suspected of being involved in some manner too.

Can someone explain to me why this is taking so long? Isn't this going on for hours now?

My guess is they don't want to risk people going into the house and feel he can't hurt anybody from where he is. There going to wait till they are certain they can get him alive and without risk to the people that would go in for him.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
He killed other Muslims as well so I don't know how racists will turn it into "See?Islam is evil!".
Muslim Fundamentalists end up killing Muslims all the time, it's one of the sickest part of Fundamentalist Islam. He believes his religion justifies it as being OK.

Dunno... maybe It could take too long for the gas to fill up the place.
Or he might try to shoot like a miniac again or kill himself.

Well I figure the reason is more the other family members. Time could also be a concern unless the French have some crazy agents lying around like the Russian's did for that Opera House siege...not that I'd recommend using that.

I wonder if he just want's to upload his video first. Hence the power cut.

retrow

Well I figure the reason is more the other family members. Time could also be a concern unless the French have some crazy agents lying around like the Russian's did for that Opera House siege...not that I'd recommend using that.

I wonder if he just want's to upload his video first. Hence the power cut.

Sorry, i think i didn't make myself clear few posts before :) (english is not my native language).
The suspect is alone in his flat, the place is surrounded by the authorities.
The other family members were caught earlier today at a different place, some might be involved, some not.

Forsete

Gold Member
Why not use that "sleep" nerve gas the Russian used in the theater held up by Chechens? Anyone remember that? :p

Edit: Beaten :(

Sorry, i think i didn't make myself clear few posts before :) (english is not my native language).
The suspect is alone in his flat, the place is surrounded by the authorities.
The other family members were caught earlier today at a different place, some might be involved, some not.

Ah I see, no worries at all.

Why not use that "sleep" nerve gas the Russian used in the theater held up by Chechens? Anyone remember that? :p

Because that was more useful for attacking NATO troops in the Fulda Gap then for hostage rescue. :p If you mean to kill him, hey no arguments from me unless they think they can get actionable intelligence from. The re-open and ship his ass off to Devil's Island!

I'm still wondering if he's trying to upload the video first before he gets taken in. I like to think that's why power was cut.

Magni

Ah I see, no worries at all.

Because that was more useful for attacking NATO troops in the Fulda Gap then for hostage rescue. :p If you mean to kill him, hey no arguments from me unless they think they can get actionable intelligence from. The re-open and ship his ass off to Devil's Island!

I'm still wondering if he's trying to upload the video first before he gets taken in. I like to think that's why power was cut.

That's what my flatmates and I were wondering, we were watching this at noon and wondering if he was stalling for time to upload stuff. But surely his internet access has been cut?

If he makes it through the night, I'm guessing the RAID will have to barge in. But I'd bet he won't.

That's what my flatmates and I were wondering, we were watching this at noon and wondering if he was stalling for time to upload stuff. But surely his internet access has been cut?

If he makes it through the night, I'm guessing the RAID will have to barge in. But I'd bet he won't.
Perhaps its via mobile, though you would think that would be cut or throttled unless its needed for communications with police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom