• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell's ending spurs new accusations of even worse whitewashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
Yeah you added it after I posted, how convenient. I know what white washing is, this movie is not the hill to die on as it's characters have such vague ethnicities. The whole point of the first film is that anyone can be anything based off their memories. Just because the movie is made in Japan you assume all actors must be Japanese? That's the quibble that of saying a movie made in America should be an all white cast.

Japan is a far more homogeneous society than the US. That's the whole point of the US, at least mythically. Melting. Pot.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.

The only people in the movie that are talking like this process is the path to perfection are white rich corporation heads who were kidnapping dozens of children off the street to be experimented on. The MOVIE, if anything, is saying the opposite, that such a process is a horrific thing to witness and the people who are responsible for it are deplorable, being haunted endlessly by guilt at best and being straight up evil at worse.

If you missed that, you missed the entire subplot of the movie

Kinda, yeah. Same moral and resolution.

This sounds perfectly fine.

hirokazu

I wrote in the OT that this would reignite the whitewashing debate and, well there it is...

To me, this doesn't seem like an afterthought or response to the casting controversy. It was such a core part of the movie that I think it was scripted from the very beginning, before they started casting.

ionitron

Not only do they do this with Motoko, but also with our antagonist Hadley Cruz (or as we find out later, Hideo Kuze as played by Michael Pitt). The casting was baffling to begin with but the fact that the writers decided that this was the best way to address it is flabbergasting. This is setting aside the fact that the movie spends a large amount of time telling us that the Major and Hideo are ”the next stage of evolution" and ”perfect" which should make anyone with the faintest acknowledgement of racial injustice uncomfortable. The perfect person in these movies, the thing they say everyone is striving to be, is the mind of a Japanese woman put inside a white woman's body.

Oh boy, this is disgusting. I can't even imagine who proofread this and thought "Yeah, sure".

Mesoian

I wrote in the OT that this would reignite the whitewashing debate and, well there it is...

To me, this doesn't seem like an afterthought or response to the casting controversy. It was such a core part of the movie that I think it was scripted from the very beginning, before they started casting.

I'd believe that.

And even if it's not true, even if the one truly great thing this movie does is keep the conversation about real ass white washing going instead of it being a quick blip that fades into nothing, that in and of itself is fantastic.

Oh boy, this is disgusting. I can't even imagine who proofread this and thought "Yeah, sure".

Again, I don't agree with that quoted statement at all.

Tacitus_

Execution aside, that sounds like they combined these two plots from the manga

2juNL40.png

soFUtr8.png

- J - D -

Double Toasted humorously put me onto this (watch last 10 minutes or so of their review), saving me time and money.

Yes their review is hilarious they also cover the racial part of the movie's ending in their review (starts 20 minutes in but the whole thing is worth watching).
https://youtu.be/hhnpYhs01Dc?t=1194

"I'm gonna tell you, Asians, you need to do something about this shit, you need to get up and protest this shit because if this had been black folks we would've burned these theaters down!"

XD

ionitron

S'fair, I probably also jumped the gun upon reading the quote. Hopefully the real intention was that the transplantation of a human brain into a robot/cyborg was the next step of human evolution, but the extra context does make it unsettling.

Mesoian

You ever met a white person named Carlos Ramirez Gonzalez? No? Well no white person is ever named Motoko Kusanagi.

To be fair, I have met a white woman named Mira.

Ya'll know she doesn't find out her real name until 3/4ths of the way through the movie right? Hanka scrubs her identity entirely. If it wasn't for the guilty conscious of the head scientist, she would have continued thinking her name was Mira Killian.

jorgeton

I think this is kind of overblown.
I saw the movie last night and enjoyed it. Scarjo is essentially a big piece of metal these corporate assholes stuck a young girl into against her will. In the movie, the corp is portrayed as being run by a bunch of European scientists, so of course they'd create a westernized looking robot body that looks as good as Scarjo.

Personally I thought it was a funny self referential twist on this whole controversy.
Would a Japanese major have been nice? Sure. But I think it makes sense why the Major looks the way she does in this. As a huge GiTS fan I think they did a great job.

The filmmakers really can't win no matter what they do.

Mesoian

Execution aside, that sounds like they combined these two plots from the manga

2juNL40.png

soFUtr8.png

Weirdly enough, the movie takes from a lot of different GITS sources. There's little bits of the manga, the original movie, the bad sequel and both seasons of the tv show in it. Unforunately, they're mostly just winks and nods and elbows to the ribs as they go "REMEMBER THIS! REMEMBER? OOOOOH I REMEMBER!"

Loudninja

I'd believe that.

And even if it's not true, even if the one truly great thing this movie does is keep the conversation about real ass white washing going instead of it being a quick blip that fades into nothing, that in and of itself is fantastic.

Umm are you trying to say this is not real white washing?

Sorry if I didnt read that right.

I don't support how they tried to handle to controversy with frankly stupid writing. They thought they were being clever, but we all know the real reason. With that being said. I still understand their casting decision. I know it's anecdotal but pretty much no one I know aside from myself is a GITS fan. They had no understanding even after the trailers of what the film was actually about and the only connecting thread and reason they considered going was because of Scarlett Johansson. Every time it was referenced amongst my friends or people in public it was always "The movie with Scarlett Johannson" "The one where Scarlett Johannson is a cyborg/robot." Etc.

A decade old niche anime film is not the movie I see Hollywood, or even the two Chinese co producers taking risks on casting with. It's a calculated decision on their parts. And you better believe they do testing to see the reaction of viewers as others here have stated.

I struggle to think of a Japanese actress that could have filled the role and pulled numbers or name recognition in a meaningful way.

Who would you guys have cast?

It doesn't matter what fucking city it takes place in. It doesn't matter how lore friendly it is.
IN THIS MOVIE:
There is a Japanese girl. Named Motoko Kusanagi. Who has an Asian mother. Who knows her by Motoko Kusanagi so it's not a fucking alias. Whose brain gets put in Scarjo body. And Scarjo and Asian mother embrace.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.

The only people in the movie that are talking like this process is the path to perfection are white rich corporation heads who were kidnapping dozens of children off the street to be experimented on. The MOVIE, if anything, is saying the opposite, that such a process is a horrific thing to witness and the people who are responsible for it are deplorable, being haunted endlessly by guilt at best and being straight up evil at worse.

If you missed that, you missed the entire subplot of the movie

This is my problem with the movie trying to take some kind of self aware moral highground just because it lampshades its own whitewashing.
An Asian "ghost" in a white body is still a white savior. The face of Asian victimization is this white heroine. Contrast this with Get Out where the main protagonist is black and also fighting against a body swap plot.

chefbags

Movie spoilers at the end

I laughed so hard when major saw her name as motoko and kuze as hideo. Like for me it felt so random for a sec cause it looked like they read names on a random wall and thought "yeah that's my name"

So are you saying white people cant be born in Japan/China/Hong Kong and have names from those places? How do you think interracial families exist?
We're talking a small percentage of white people.
To be fair, I have met a white woman named Mira.

Ya'll know she doesn't find out her real name until 3/4ths of the way through the movie right? Hanka scrubs her identity entirely. If it wasn't for the guilty conscious of the head scientist, she would have continued thinking her name was Mira Killian.

I never took Mira Killian as a Japanese name.

chefbags

I don't support how they tried to handle to controversy with frankly stupid writing. They thought they were being clever, but we all know the real reason. With that being said. I still understand their casting decision. I know it's anecdotal but pretty much no one I know aside from myself is a GITS fan. They had no understanding even after the trailers of what the film was actually about and the only connecting thread and reason they considered going was because of Scarlett Johansson. Every time it was referenced amongst my friends or people in public it was always "The movie with Scarlett Johannson" "The one where Scarlett Johannson is a cyborg/robot." Etc.

A decade old niche anime film is not the movie I see Hollywood, or even the two Chinese co producers taking risks on casting with. It's a calculated decision on their parts. And you better believe they do testing to see the reaction of viewers as others here have stated.

I struggle to think of a Japanese actress that could have filled the role and pulled numbers or name recognition in a meaningful way.

Rinko Kuchki who played mako from Pacific Rim. I thought she would be great casting for this. But oh well now I guess.

I have owned GITS manga since the mid 90s. And I am Asian.

I am ok with it.
I'm Asian American and I own the 95 movie and GitS Innocence and SAC. I'm not okay with it.

I would have kept Scarjo, but tossed out that stupid self congratulatory plot point. OR make
her previous life be as some other white girl.

We're talking a small percentage of white people.

I never took Mira Killian as a Japanese name.

I guess my disagreement with this topic is the conclusion that since Japan/Hong Kong is predominately "Asian", then the characters are as well. Anime exists in a weird area where European elements are occasionally brought in and included. Even the original ghost in the shell movie had Americans as characters. I guess I see the shells as capable of being anyone since that is what they are, hollow bodies that things are put into.

Arkeband

Banned

Considering the movie never refers to him as Hadley Cruz, yeah, I can't imagine who proofread Bleeding Cool's hot-ass take. Maybe they slapped it together by watching some CinemaSins copycat channels.

So are you saying white people cant be born in Japan/China/Hong Kong and have names from those places? How do you think interracial families exist?

I bet hollywood uses that line all the time when providing bullshit excuses for white washing. "Well, there are some white people born in Japan!" So not only can white actors have access to any role they want and have countless roles written for them, they can also play minorities under the pretense of "immigrant" and "mixed race."

Yeah I saw this and thought it was actually a pretty interesting take since the mom would've clearly recognized her if she wasn't white

I bet hollywood uses that line all the time when providing bullshit excuses for white washing. "Well, there are some white people born in Japan!" So not only can white actors have access to any role they want and have countless roles written for them, they can also play minorities under the pretense of "immigrant" and "mixed race."

It perpetuates the whole "white people can be anything" motive.

Mesoian

Umm are you trying to say this is not real white washing?

Sorry if I didnt read that right.

Well that's the question right? Hamfisted handling or not, if they originally wrote the script to be what it turned out to be, is it? Granted, I think the writers probably thought themselves a lot wittier than they actually were in the end, but the "white devilry" of this movie doesn't work if Mira Killian, specifically MIRA KILLIAN, is Asian. If Mira Killian is asian, then the twist, the big moment of the movie, becomes just as deluded as the other 2 dozen concepts from the source material that are referenced but ultimately ignored due to time and the need for explosions.

GITS is sticky because, as we've said, the source material spends a lot of time focusing on the fact that people's original selves, their personal cultures, mean very little when they are literally selling away their humanity in order to be something more. The movie never goes into race, probably because the original never did, and for the twist to really stick, they should have. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that the ending was any big sort of brilliant moment, it's not, it's pretty poorly done. But with the script being how it was, that twist doesn't work any other way.

That being said, this is still whitewashing because, at the end of the day, they didn't HAVE to do the movie this way. When I say real ass whitewashing, I mean that people have look at the idea of whitewashing and have a real conversation about it, rather than just being able to handwave it off by saying "yeah but plot though." Saying, "this movie is bad because it stars scarlet johannsen when it could have starred an asian woman" is a bad argument, because it ignores what the movie tries to do. And if you ignore that, then your point is that racial norms should stay what they are simply because that's the way they've always been dicated. Inclusion doesn't matter because source material is just as destructive as white people being cast makes things more believable. The conversation is greater than that.

Jotaka

Yeah you added it after I posted, how convenient. I know what white washing is, this movie is not the hill to die on as it's characters have such vague ethnicities. The whole point of the first film is that anyone can be anything based off their memories. Just because the movie is made in Japan you assume all actors must be Japanese? That's the quibble that of saying a movie made in America should be an all white cast.

Japan population
japanese 98.5%
Koreans 0.5%
Chinese 0.4%
other 0.6% (large group in this other are Brazilians & Peruvian = most japanese descendants)

99.4% (at minimum) is easy to pass as japanese if you see a picture only. Try get non eastern asian looking actors to act in japanese a movie.

You haven't even seen the movie, have you?

I have, both of the films and the live action ones. The originals are classics, even if they break many storytelling rules by being extremely exposition heavy. I thought the live action one was ok, visuals and music were good as well as acting from the side characters, particularly the head of major's combat group, loved the actor in some of his previous films. ScarJo looks somewhat like major but her acting is meh, the script didn't go out of its way to help her. Your point?

Not

Banned
The main character in the anime was Japanese. No question. It was a Japanese film with a Japanese protagonist with a Japanese (yes) name. I would assume she was meant to look Japanese as well.

Trying to put this into context for everyone jumping to defend or rationalize this (whom I imagine have very little experience with actual persecution and marginalization). Imagine if the hero in the cartoon was black and they cast a white actress, justifying it with sci-fi bullshit.

I just use the black analogy because even Hollywood understands that's a no-no, but for some reason there's a double standard with Asians.

Calabi

I think this is kind of overblown.
I saw the movie last night and enjoyed it. Scarjo is essentially a big piece of metal these corporate assholes stuck a young girl into against her will. In the movie, the corp is portrayed as being run by a bunch of European scientists, so of course they'd create a westernized looking robot body that looks as good as Scarjo.

Personally I thought it was a funny self referential twist on this whole controversy.
Would a Japanese major have been nice? Sure. But I think it makes sense why the Major looks the way she does in this. As a huge GiTS fan I think they did a great job.

The filmmakers really can't win no matter what they do.

But why are the European scientists in Japan/or an Asian country? Why are they making a European looking cyborg in a highly homogenised society. Like she's a Spy or whatever surely they would want her to blend in at least a little bit.

Why arent they worried about her suffering some sort of body dis-morphia or having psychological issue with her appearance being changed so dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom