• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 10/20/15

It's kind of a bummer no one on the crew has completed The Witcher 3. I was hoping to hear their thoughts on the best quests in the game and the multiple possible endings.

ArjanN

The GOTY podcasts will be fantastic this year, just for the listeners reactions.

No Witcher 3 in the top 10
Destiny in the top 10
MGS:V to be among the top 3 of 'Best story'

;)

Don't forget they'll likely mistake Fallout for a good game again.

hamchan

The collective Rick and Morty aversion from the Bombcast makes them sound kinda crotchety and old.

Like, you know it's in line with their comedy values and they'd totally dig it if they gave it a chance, but it's all "argh.... meh... new thing... can't.... probably sucks... meh....".

It is a weird attitude that they avoid something specifically because a lot of people think they would love it and recommend it to them a lot.

I guess if they hold that view then they don't want people to give a shit about them and think about them? Because that's easy enough for people to just not bother with them anymore.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Man the crew shitting on W3 and the whole series makes me a little sad. They need Vinny there to offer a counterpoint.

Loving Rorie on the bombcast tho, as always.

Yea just gonna skip this episode.

DryvBy

It's kind of a bummer no one on the crew has completed The Witcher 3. I was hoping to hear their thoughts on the best quests in the game and the multiple possible endings.

I love Witcher 3 but it's such a time consuming game that it's hard to just pick up with limited time. A side quest might end up being over an hour or two long. It's intimidating since there's more games out. I'm past Dan's progress and I'm having a hard time finishing it up. I know I will this month at least, but it's hard to just pick it up like most games.

I love the game. It's just I know when I start it up, I'm gonna be stuck doing that without being able to play the many other games I have.

Blastoise

Banned
Bombcast has now become their weakest property.

The other content they put out is so much more appealing and exciting. This episode was especially boring to get through. I feel like the majority of their strentgh is in video and presentation.

pizzacat

Banned

The other content they put out is so much more appealing and exciting. This episode was especially boring to get through. I feel like the majority of their strentgh is in video and presentation.
Beastcast and F1 still exist tho

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Very true.

But the Bombcast has really fell from it original glory..... Or maybe everything else just got better. Don't know.

Disagree, but eh, whatever. Opinions and all that.

Also the F1 podcast is so boring. Mostly because F1 is boring.

The Witcher 3 does seem like a very hard game to get back into once you've put it down for awhile, and considering how long it is starting over would be very daunting. I liked the game, probably my GOTY unless Fallout 4 turns out terrible, but I can somewhat understand their complaints.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Lol. Then offcourse the podcast would be a bore. Seriuosly. Even I doze off when Danny is talking about turn 8's incline and angle. Haha.

I mean that's why I qualified why I found the F1 podcast boring.

Was honestly hoping for more just Danny and drew shooting the shit but there was still too much F1 in the end.

I don't know, but TW3 ending isn't anything special and also pretty boring. I liked the journey more than the goal.
Gameplay wise, certainly, I did like some of the narrative stuff that I got.

But yes, W3 is a long game, requiring a certain level of committment. I don't know how it'll fair in GotY discussions, unless they're going to set aside a bit of time for it, to feel like they've given it a "fair shake".

KarmaCow

It is interesting to hear them going from loving and being entranced by W3 to being glad they're patching the game to fix apparently glaring flaws to the eventual realisation that they really don't care. It's kinda like the first half of the Statler and Waldorf review evolution.

Well except for Jeff, he's been pretty much the same throughout.

erawsd

I don't know, but TW3 ending isn't anything special and also pretty boring. I liked the journey more than the goal.

Yeah, actually think the final act is where Witcher is at its worst. I liked the actual ending though but its not going to mean anything unless you're invested in the characters.

Rather than force themselves through the base game, they should just play the expansion. Its a bite sized standalone thing that is really well paced with a story and production values that are every bit as good as what the main game has to offer.

Curufinwe

It's cute that Jeff suggested 'get your friends who have Wii U's to play your MM levels!' as a solution for replicating their joy watching someone play their levels. I'm almost 40 - the few friends I have don't even know what a Wii U is, let alone own one.

Wait, Jeff's out of touch with how videogames function for people who don't work in gaming media? Surely not.

Wait, Jeff's out of touch with how videogames function for people who don't work in gaming media? Surely not.

I always got the impression that, like Shawn Elliott (and Dan, actually), Jeff had plenty of Joe Sixpack lowlifes in his life that kept him grounded in reality.

No_Style

I really enjoyed it when Jeff hosted recently because he brought energy. I wonder if he can maintain that week to week now. Jeff was the first host post-Ryan but the show ended flowing better once Brad took the reigns. Now it feels formulaic and stale when Brad hosts. Maybe it's time for another shake up? Dan to host?

RE: Witcher 3

I just got back into it after the recent patch and man does it ever play better. After 30 minutes of getting my bearings, I'm right back in it.

I enjoyed this episode and overall I still really enjoy the Bombcast, and based on what Jeff has said a ton of other people still enjoy it as well. It seems like every episode where they say negative things about a popular game people call for a shakeup or talk about how the bombcast is long in the tooth.

psylah

Man, PSP emulation (specifically PPSSPP) is real good.

I fulfilled my dream of playing DJ MAX Clazziquai edition on a big screen, with a full size controller. It took a lot of tweaking in the video settings to cut the latency down but it worked great.

Also was able to pick up an old Monster Hunter save game. Save states made that game actually fun. Swing, miss, load, swing, hit, save, repeat.

kai3345

Banned
The only problem I have with Brad as host is during the emails section. A lot of the time it just feels like he's picking emails to get rises out of the rest of the group but almost no one ever bites. I really enjoyed the emails section last week.

Lothars

I enjoyed this episode and overall I still really enjoy the Bombcast, and based on what Jeff has said a ton of other people still enjoy it as well. It seems like every episode where they say negative things about a popular game people call for a shakeup or talk about how the bombcast is long in the tooth.
It also seems like it's the same people. I've listened to the bombcast since early 2008 and I think the quality is still really high in it. I don't get the people saying that it's boring.

I think they are pretty spot on with the witcher 3.

I'm really close to the end but I just can't bring myself to finish. I stopped after about 55 hours as I was getting a bit bored and the bugs were getting to me. Then after a break I tried again. But after 3-4 hours
got to just after killing the witches and wild hunt dude with ciri
I stopped again as the game just doesn't know when to end.

Then a few patches came out and I tried again but the patches added a bunch of new crashes to my PC that never happened before.

I tried to just push through the other night but after 45 mins of just following Trish and yen about with a minor fight here and there and the same crash bugs occuring I just quit and looked up the last bit of the story. Was nothing amazing or anything.

The first half was really good. Up until the novigrad bit. From there it got pretty boring and a lot worse gameplay wise. The combat was already just serviceable and not much of a challenge even on the third difficulty and it never really evolved much so it got boring.

Basically, unless you are really into the story and characters (which I am in the books but not really in this game) and just exploring the open world, its pretty easy to see the flaws in the game.

It's positives are very good but it has enough negatives to easily put it behind several other big releases this year.

megalowho

I totally get where Dan's coming from with Witcher 3, I had to push through that feeling a few times to get to the point where I was back into it over my few months with the game. I also get wanting to take a step back when people hit you with an enthusiasm bomb over their newest favorite media thing, it can be obnoxiously overbearing especially on the internet.

That said I'm getting a little tired of the GOTY hand wringing every year around this time. If they just want to play Destiny or Marvel Heroes when things are slow instead of working through their backlog that's fine, it's their free time, but I miss Patrick's approach of wanting to have hands on knowledge of everything he could in order to contribute meaningfully to end of the year discussion (and actually following through with it). Jeff jokingly deleting their shared doc of recommended games feels like the opposite to that approach.

Morts

The GOTY podcasts will be fantastic this year, just for the listeners reactions.

No Witcher 3 in the top 10
Destiny in the top 10
MGS:V to be among the top 3 of 'Best story'

;)

Would Destiny be eligible? They put out an expansion this year, not a full game as I understand it.

Surprised that they don't think NX will be out next year. I'm not sure what I believe there.

fuzzyset

Would Destiny be eligible? They put out an expansion this year, not a full game as I understand it.

Surprised that they don't think NX will be out next year. I'm not sure what I believe there.

Jeff was staunchly opposed to letting Reaper of Souls be considered, so I would be very surprised if Destiny was as well.

Curufinwe

That conspiracy theory email about Sony being in cahoots with and then betraying Microsoft over always online is hilarious. Some people still can't quite accept how out of touch and moronic Microsoft's Xbox executives were.

KarmaCow

That conspiracy theory email about Sony being in cahoots with and then betraying Microsoft over always online is hilarious. Some people still can't quite accept how out of touch and moronic Microsoft's Xbox executives were.

Well the email specifically said it wasn't something they had talked about beforehand, just that they assumed Sony would be on board. It's not really outlandish, people from Sony made it a point to say that they were having discussions about it and supposedly the backlash pushed them over the edge to not go that way.

hamchan

Though at the time I remember Giant Bomb seemed pretty convinced Sony would join Microsoft in the always online party, despite everyone questioning why they thought that.

I just can't imagine even Nintendo being so stupid as to have 18 months between the introduction of their new system and its release in the current market. That would be absolutely ridiculous.

And SDKs being sent out now would mean companies have a year to figure out porting their upcoming games to NX, it's not like anyone outside Nintendo is going to be developing exclusives from the ground up for it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As someone who has followed the witcher and not just hoped in for tw3, the ending was a huge, kind of melancholy thing for me. I was very happy to see where Geralt ended up, but it was actually sad to see my time with him come to an end.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's funny how these guys never seem to mention any pop culture stuff they're into. Maybe they just keep it private and don't drop names and wear it on their sleeves like other podcasts seem to, who knows. I know they don't understand comic book movies though, and hear hear to that.

erawsd

Hilarious Dan thinks he's almost done with the Witcher when he has barely started act 2...lol

Yeah, that was pretty funny. I recall him saying he only had a "few hours" left and here he says he's on the "Ugly Baby" quest which is the very start of Act 2. Hes still atleast ~15 hours from being done.

Top Bottom