• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 10/20/15

Myggen

I totally get where Dan's coming from with Witcher 3, I had to push through that feeling a few times to get to the point where I was back into it over my few months with the game. I also get wanting to take a step back when people hit you with an enthusiasm bomb over their newest favorite media thing, it can be obnoxiously overbearing especially on the internet.

That said I'm getting a little tired of the GOTY hand wringing every year around this time. If they just want to play Destiny or Marvel Heroes when things are slow instead of working through their backlog that's fine, it's their free time, but I miss Patrick's approach of wanting to have hands on knowledge of everything he could in order to contribute meaningfully to end of the year discussion (and actually following through with it). Jeff jokingly deleting their shared doc of recommended games feels like the opposite to that approach.

You know that he didn't actually do that? And generally the others (except Vinny and Drew) always played about the same amount of games as Patrick, but Patrick played some more niche games that the others didn't. That didn't contribute much to the GOTY discussion though as Patrick always just "wanted to give the games their due" by mentioning them and then never saying anything about them again.

killroy87

It's funny how these guys never seem to mention any pop culture stuff they're into. Maybe they just keep it private and don't drop names and wear it on their sleeves like other podcasts seem to, who knows. I know they don't understand comic book movies though, and hear hear to that.

I really, truly think, at least in the case of Jeff (and to a lesser extent, Brad), the majority of their time is spent playing and thinking about games. The amount of times Jeff mentions having never seen a movie that EVERYONE has seen is staggering to me. Like, he just really seems to not give a shit about movies/tv shows/books, etc. Which is fine, it's just interesting. Brad will at least mention movies he's seen sometimes, but none of them seem to be movie or pop culture buffs by any stretch.

Vitor711

Don't forget they'll likely mistake Fallout for a good game again.

As will most other game sites. How people still think Fallout 3 was a good game is beyond me. God awful combat, limited dialogue options and it ran like a dog.

Never played New Vegas but I heard that it at least fixed some of the above and I trust Obsidian. After Skyrim, I no longer trust Bethesda to actually build anything more than an interesting world.

Myggen

As will most other game sites. How people still think Fallout 3 was a good game is beyond me. God awful combat, limited dialogue options and it ran like a dog.

Never played New Vegas but I heard that it at least fixed some of the above and I trust Obsidian. After Skyrim, I no longer trust Bethesda to actually build anything more than an interesting world.

And a lot of people on this very site will "mistake" it for a good game. Bethesda games have a lot of fans, it'll certainly be one of the best-selling games of the year.

see5harp

I think it's best that they keep their other interests to themselves, especially guys like Jeff. That's the dude that doesn't watch movies.

Roussow

The GOTY podcasts will be fantastic this year, just for the listeners reactions.

No Witcher 3 in the top 10
Destiny in the top 10
MGS:V to be among the top 3 of 'Best story'

;)

I keep thinking of Game of the Year lists in the GB format,
I think my perfect Best Story stack would be:
Winner: Life is Strange,
Runners Up: Until Dawn, Her Story (Maybe Tales from the Borderlands, haven't finished it yet).
If none of those make it, I want there to at least be a Best New Character nomination for each of them

I know it was kind of a jokey comment, but I'm they'll disqualify Destiny: The Taken King for being considered in the top 10, Brad could make the argument for it being 2015's best 2014 game (or whatever that category is called, best post-release support basically).

MGSV for best story will be shut down, even though Dan will undoubtedly fight for it. I think he tried to edge Ground Zeroes into that category last year - Patrick completely shut that down last year, he had a great counter argument (to be fair, there wasn't much in Ground Zeroes to argue for). I also doubt Drew is going to side with Dan on that one, either.

Myggen

Runners Up: Until Dawn, Her Story (Maybe Tales from the Borderlands, haven't finished it yet).
If none of those make it, I want there to at least be a Best New Character nomination for each of them

I know it was kind of a jokey comment, but I'm they'll disqualify Destiny: The Taken King for being considered in the top 10, Brad could make the argument for it being 2015's best 2014 game (or whatever that category is called, best post-release support basically).

MGSV for best story will be shut down, even though Dan will undoubtedly fight for it. I think he tried to edge Ground Zeroes into that category last year - Patrick completely shut that down last year, he had a great counter argument (to be fair, there wasn't much in Ground Zeroes to argue for). I also doubt Drew is going to side with Dan on that one, either.

I remember Patrick just yelling "VAGINA BOMB" or whatever it was with GZ. I understood where he was coming from and agree, but not the best way to get an argument across.

Anyways, I think you're right about Destiny. They've had a DLC category for some years for a reason.

I don't think Dan will fight for it very hard. He seems to accept the story's blatant short-comings pretty well even if he's way more into it than the others on a personal level.

He'll undoubtedly bring it up, but I think it won't be grueling to shut him down on that front. Brad especially will flex his English major knowledge to close that down pretty thoroughly judging from the spoiler-cast.

Roussow

As for overall Game of the Year, unless Fallout 4 is the best thing on the planet, it's probably going to be Mario Maker, right? I mean they all really like MGSV but it's got too many problems. I haven't even played it (I don't own a Wii U), but they way they talk about it, and the couple streams they have make it seem like such a great time.

I just want Life is Strange to get all of the attention it deserves, but that's unlikely that it gets bought up for much.

By the way, have they talked about having Alex, Austin, & Vinny over in SF for the end year discussions & videos yet? That could make things a little more interesting/unexpected.

Myggen

By the way, have they talked about having Alex, Austin, & Vinny over in SF for the end year discussions & videos yet? That could make things a little more interesting/unexpected.

Like last year, I expect the New York guys will be over in SF for a week recording the videos and the podcasts.

Also, side note but I am always surprised when people say The Witcher III's combat is boring or garbage.

It's not the best I've played by any means but I thought it was better than the combat in like 80%-90% of games of this type, especially AAA games. My favorite genre is character-action games, too, so I feel like my standards are fairly high in that regard. I played 70 hours of the Witcher III and I never really felt like the combat was a slog.

It could have easily been yet another awful Batman combat clone like nearly every AAA game with this sort of combat does these days, and I am really thankful that they didn't go that route with it.

gogosox82

RIP Witcher 3's GOTY hopes.

Never thought it had a chance after Brad started complaining about the movement and Jeff never playing much of it. It will probably make the top 10 I'd imagine.

MGSV is the first game in a long time that I know all of the guys loved. I have to imagine it's the front-runner at this point, given that we still have AAA releases like Fallout and Battlefront.

I wonder if Destiny The Taken King will qualify, if Brad will make it qualify, and if Brad will force it to be in the top 10.

TTK should be classified as DLC since that's what it is. It isn't a new game, its an add on to a game that's already out. I wouldn't have an issue with it winning best dlc/expansion tbh.

Roussow

Also, side note but I am always surprised when people say The Witcher III's combat is boring or garbage.

It's not the best I've played by any means but I thought it was better than the combat in like 80%-90% of games of this type, especially AAA games. My favorite genre is character-action games, too, so I feel like my standards are fairly high in that regard. I played 70 hours of the Witcher III and I never really felt like the combat was a slog.

It could have easily been yet another awful Batman combat clone like nearly every AAA game with this sort of combat does these days, and I am really thankful that they didn't go that route with it.

I'm afraid to say that enjoyed Batman, Mordor, and Mad Max's combat more than The Witcher's. I appreciate that The Witcher is doing it's own thing. But the games I mentioned just feel infinitely more playable. Although Transformers or Bloodborne probably had the best combat this year.

I'm afraid to say that enjoyed Batman, Mordor, and Mad Max's combat more than The Witcher's. I appreciate that The Witcher is doing it's own thing. But the games I mentioned just feel infinitely more playable. Although Transformers or Bloodborne probably had the best combat this year.

Sure, that's fair. I realize I'm a bit of an outlier when it comes to Batman combat but I just find that type of combat to feel incredibly disconnected and not like I'm actually playing a combat system at all, but just timing button presses. Like, somewhere between QTEs and an actual combat system. I really, really dislike it. I feel like there's nearly no freedom there.

Bloodborne and Transformers are on a completely different level than either the Witcher or any of the Batman-like games though, no doubt in my mind at all. I just beat Transformers on Prime difficulty and it is an extremely satisfying game.

Dizzy-4U

About the GOTY stuff, honestly I don't care what wins, but I want more discussion inside the top 10.

Like, last year they spent all the time discussing who gets the 10th place and once that was settled Jeff just said: "Hey guys, I just arranged the top ten list, what do you think?" Rest: "That looks fine".

Podcast over.

Heimbeck

Banned
I wonder if he would change his tune if he knew he was nowhere even CLOSE to the end. lol

I think he would double down on not completing it at that point.
I do wish somebody really liked that game at GB like I do, but it's not really a big deal.

see5harp

Witcher combat and movement is significantly worse feeling than Mad Max, which is really saying something. Mad Max feels super laggy and the framerate is straight up abysmal at times.

I'm with them on Witcher 3 for sure. I liked playing it fine initially but I got busy with moving and stuff and had to put it down for awhile.

It has been so hard to get interested in starting back up. Just looking at my inventory and seeing all this stuff and trying to remember what it all does and trying to remember how to do combat again just made me want to put it down and play something else.

If the story was super compelling up to that point it'd be different but it hadn't caught me enough to try to get started back up.

I can't stand the Witcher III combat, it's incredibly clunky. It's also prone to oddness. The lock on is unreliable and acts strangely, certain actions are weirdly limited by how far away you are from enemies (can't guard if enemies are too far away negating the usefulness of the parry arrows trait when you dont parry and just go into Witcher vision), or how sometimes Geralt will not autodraw his sword and will engage with fists.

The out of combat movement even post patches is also still clunky, but improved from launch.

It all combined that whenever I did die, it was almost always due to some weird bullshit with the game not doing what I intended leading to me almost never feeling like the deaths were my fault, which is frustrating. Witcher 3 had more moments like this than any other game I've played this year.

What games did they actually beat this year? I know Brad beat Bkoodborne and got the plat, finished Taken King, Arkham Knight, Broken Age, and MGSV.

Jeff finished Axiom Verge, Mortal Kombat X, Taken King, MGSV, and The Order?

This is just based on their PSN accounts

I can't stand the Witcher III combat, it's incredibly clunky. It's also prone to oddness. The lock on is unreliable and acts strangely, certain actions are weirdly limited by how far away you are from enemies (can't guard if enemies are too far away negating the usefulness of the parry arrows trait when you dont parry and just go into Witcher vision), or how sometimes Geralt will not autodraw his sword and will engage with fists.

The out of combat movement even post patches is also still clunky, but improved from launch.

It all combined that whenever I did die, it was almost always due to some weird bullshit with the game not doing what I intended leading to me almost never feeling like the deaths were my fault, which is frustrating. Witcher 3 had more moments like this than any other game I've played this year.

I don't doubt anyone else's impressions in this regard, I just can't say I experienced all these issues (aside from Geralt engaging with fists at times)

I almost always felt in full control of Geralt during combat. To be fair, I only started playing once the new controls were patched in, though.

Myggen

What games did they actually beat this year? I know Brad beat Bkoodborne and got the plat, finished Taken King, Arkham Knight, Broken Age, and MGSV.

Jeff finished Axiom Verge, Mortal Kombat X, Taken King, MGSV, and The Order?

This is just based on their PSN accounts

They'll have plenty of games to talk about come GOTY. I have no idea what games they've beaten.

Into

We all know that the biggest pillars are Jeff and Brad when its GOTY discussion. The only ones i remember who really fought for other games was Patrick and Alex, the others just do not seem as passionate about it.

That being the case Metal Gear Solid 5 will win. Dan will push it hard and Brad and Jeff wont mind it being number 1 and wont fight against it. You almost need everyone else to push something else: Mario Maker, Rocket League, Fallout 4, whatever to usurp that. The chances of Austin, Alex, Drew and Vinny pushing hard for 1 specific game over MGS5 is unlikely.

So you will get:

1. MGSV
2. Mario Maker
3-9. Each member gets to push 1 game that isent on the list further up that they like a lot. So you might see Rocket League (Jason), Halo 5 (Drew), Bloodborne, Destiny (Brad) and some lesser known titles, maybe some indies like Undertale, Axiom Verge etc..
10. Witcher 3, they might get it at tenth and maybe Vinny will push for it.

That is my prediction

Heimbeck

Banned
I don't doubt anyone else's impressions in this regard, I just can't say I experienced all these issues (aside from Geralt engaging with fists at times)

I almost always felt in full control of Geralt during combat. To be fair, I only started playing once the new controls were patched in, though.

I felt they were fine before the patch.
Not that I would argue with someone who didn't like them though, I think it's a valid point.

caleb1915

You know that he didn't actually do that? And generally the others (except Vinny and Drew) always played about the same amount of games as Patrick, but Patrick played some more niche games that the others didn't. That didn't contribute much to the GOTY discussion though as Patrick always just "wanted to give the games their due" by mentioning them and then never saying anything about them again.

I feel like Brad used to be similar to that when it came to the games the general crew didn't play.

You know, before Destiny and DOTA2 :p.

Edit: And I think Dan actually makes a fair point between MGS5 and The Witcher 3. MGS5 was huge, yet incredibly compact. 50 hours maybe an extra 20-30 for all the side stuff. The Witcher 3 has the same problem as Skyrim, but it's executed a bit differently. The actual mission design gets pretty familiar after the point all the different mechanics of the game are introduced in the first 30-40 hours. Also the dialogue that you have to sit through in every quest can really drag sometimes. Especially if it's just go talk to this person. Go pick up/talk to this thing in this part of town/city, and you've already been told to talk to the guy in front of you by a different person. After they told you their life story to establish character traits that lets you actually start the quest.

ArjanN

I meant that beast cast and f1 are worse than bombcast

That's what I figured you meant, but that just means you're wrong, as the beastcast is clearly better than the bombast recently. I'll give you Alt F1 but that largely depends on if you follow F1 or not.

I don't really think so, unless you count doing a quick look for a game and then never touching it again as playing a game. Hell, I think Brad barely finished enough games to fill a top 10 list the last couple of years. I think the games he brought up not getting more discussion was more because he knew the others didn't play them/cared..

I feel like Brad used to be similar to that when it came to the games the general crew didn't play.

Edit: And I think Dan actually makes a fair point between MGS5 and The Witcher 3. MGS5 was huge, yet incredibly compact. 50 hours maybe an extra 20-30 for all the side stuff. The Witcher 3 has the same problem as Skyrim, but it's executed a bit differently. The actual mission design gets pretty familiar after the point all the different mechanics of the game are introduced in the first 30-40 hours. Also the dialogue that you have to sit through in every quest can really drag sometimes. Especially if it's just go talk to this person. Go pick up/talk to this thing in this part of town/city, and you've already been told to talk to the guy in front of you by a different person. After they told you their life story to establish character traits that lets you actually start the quest.

I think the difference is the main hook in the Witcher is the story elements as opposed to Skyrim or MGSV.

Seems like they're going to all skip The Witcher 3 out of spite since everyone wants them to finish it. That is too bad since they are missing out.

Visceir

I can definitely relate to The Witcher 3 complaints. I think it's a good game, but I put it down for a little after getting to Skellige and haven't mustered to will to get back into it again. Think I kinda burned myself out by doing all the quests in novigrad. Skellige feels like a whole another game.

That's what I figured you meant, but that just means you're wrong, as the beastcast is clearly better than the bombast recently. I'll give you Alt F1 but that largely depends on if you follow F1 or not.

Opinions~

I find beastcast quite bad, they lack chemistry and drag on mundane discussions forever. The best part about the podcast is the guy who isn't even a part of giantbomb, lol.

About the GOTY stuff, honestly I don't care what wins, but I want more discussion inside the top 10.

Like, last year they spent all the time discussing who gets the 10th place and once that was settled Jeff just said: "Hey guys, I just arranged the top ten list, what do you think?" Rest: "That looks fine".

Podcast over.

Last year lacked goty-material games. This year has plenty.

Opinions~

I find beastcast quite bad, they lack chemistry and drag on mundane discussions forever. The best part about the podcast is the guy who isn't even a part of giantbomb, lol.
I've had similar complaints and the last couple of weeks have been better. Though I still find it strange how the same group of people has much more chemistry on videos than they do on podcasts. I suppose videos avoid those dull industry talk segments that they feel compelled to talk about on the podcast when they just don't really work with that crew.

braves01

Banned
Re: GOTY, I hope Alex puts in a good word for Splatoon. I think everyone else generally liked it at launch but I think he was the only one who kept playing as content got added.

Lingitiz

Man I don't agree with this at all. Say what you will about Witcher 3 but it had stories to tell, and many of them are quite good. They build the world and rarely ever fall into cliches. At times you'll be doing things that have really big affects on the world too.

MGSV is not at all a compact game. It's a bloated mess that resorts to reusing content and environments to keep the illusion of size. The side ops are the same thing over and over again. Extract prisoner 1-10, take out heavy infantry, Heavy armor unit, collect mines 1-4, etc.

I pretty much checked out of MGSV around 10 hours in and just powered through the next 20-30 hours. It's repetitive and lacks a coherent narrative. Also it has some of the worst boss fights in the series.

FStop7

Banned
That conspiracy theory email about Sony being in cahoots with and then betraying Microsoft over always online is hilarious. Some people still can't quite accept how out of touch and moronic Microsoft's Xbox executives were.

Yeah I got a kick out of that. "Sony, too!" was the mantra for so long.

Myggen

Seems like they're going to all skip The Witcher 3 out of spite since everyone wants them to finish it. That is too bad since they are missing out.

That's not what they were saying at all. Dan probably won't finish the game, but that's because he just wasn't motivated to keep going when he sat down with it again this weekend. The reason isn't a big fuck you to the people who tweet at him or leave comments in comment sections.

It's like 90% apathy, 10% spite.

Or maybe they didn't like the game enough to finish it.

It's possible.

Definitely think Bloodborne will be up there as far as end of year best games for them. Brad, Dan, Vinny all really liked it, hell even Jeff played a bit of it and he never plays Souls games.

KarmaCow

That's not what they were saying at all. Dan probably won't finish the game, but that's because he just wasn't motivated to keep going when he sat down with it again this weekend. The reason isn't a big fuck you to the people who tweet at him or leave comments in comment sections.

Or maybe they didn't like the game enough to finish it.

It's possible.

No I'm pretty sure they choose what games to play based on twitter.

Also Brad is lazy.

Myggen

No I'm pretty sure they choose what games to play based on twitter.

Also Brad is lazy.

SxHfDQa.png

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's funny how these guys never seem to mention any pop culture stuff they're into. Maybe they just keep it private and don't drop names and wear it on their sleeves like other podcasts seem to, who knows. I know they don't understand comic book movies though, and hear hear to that.

I mentally check out every time Jeff brings up movies since if it isn't a dumb action movie then he thinks it's stupid and not worth his time.

Didn't he say in the last podcast that he just isn't into movies? Someone saying that is like saying they're not into music or good food but it's Jeff so, well, yeah.

see5harp

Fairly certain that Jeff is into music. He obviously watches television. I just don't think they go into that stuff. They have enough to take about on the podcast as it is.

Remember when the whole bombcast hated the Souls games for years. And had all kinds of snarky things to say even without playing it.

They came around on it slowly after a couple of them forced themselves to play them for endurace runs. Even Jeff seems to have come around finally.

Probably will be the same way with the Witcher.

Top Bottom