• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla: Killzone: Shadow Fall's multiplayer is 60 FPS, singleplayer is 30 FPS

Secondly, do developers ever aim for between 30 and 60? I know some games have variable frame rates, but why don't they settle on 45fps for a smooth experience still with loads of detail?

TVs run at 60Hz, so with a 30FPS game they show one unique frame for every two TV refreshes, and with a 60FPS it's one for one. At 45FPS it'd have to show one one frame twice, then the next frame once, and so on, and that makes for an ugly, jittery look that's actually less pleasant than 30FPS. You get similar problems watching 24FPS movies on 60Hz TVs, and some TVs have special motion-judder-cancelling modes that I think throttle the screen's refresh rate to 24Hz. The ideal thing would be if a TV was able to increase or throttle its own refresh rate to match the game's framerate, but there's nothing out there that does it.

Newer PC monitors can be set at a variety of different refresh rates, though, so you can do neat stuff with PC games and framerate limiting programs. If you set your monitor to 144Hz, you can lock a game at 48FPS and have it sync up perfectly with three refreshes per frame, or set the monitor to 100Hz and lock the framerate at 50FPS.

Cyberia

hizUjJ9.png

https://twitter.com/EboltGG/status/370519927624855552

JawzPause

Holy shit 60fps with those graphics!?
The free DLC already sealed the deal for me but this is a great bonus.
GG are technical wizards.

LCfiner

ah, multiplayer only. not totally unexpected (but still great news)

If they had those massive environments from the single player reveal and all that working at 60 for a launch title, I'd have been shocked.

Varth

You know what? Makes sense. Go for eye candy and rocksolid 30s on SP, and 60fps on MP. Now tell me you're going to keep me hooked on multi longer than KZ2 and 3, please. I had so much fun with them, and yet they felt "dry" so soon after everything was unlocked.

LCfiner

I wonder if - in addition to the faster FR - the MP will also have quicker aiming and less weight to the guns that SP will?

Perkel

Banned
TVs run at 60Hz, so with a 30FPS game they show one unique frame for every two TV refreshes, and with a 60FPS it's one for one. At 45FPS it'd have to show one one frame twice, then the next frame once, and so on, and that makes for an ugly, jittery look that's actually less pleasant than 30FPS. You get similar problems watching 24FPS movies on 60Hz TVs, and some TVs have special motion-judder-cancelling modes that I think throttle the screen's refresh rate to 24Hz. The ideal thing would be if a TV was able to increase or throttle its own refresh rate to match the game's framerate, but there's nothing out there that does it.

Newer PC monitors can be set at a variety of different refresh rates, though, so you can do neat stuff with PC games and framerate limiting programs. If you set your monitor to 144Hz, you can lock a game at 48FPS and have it sync up perfectly with three refreshes per frame, or set the monitor to 100Hz and lock the framerate at 50FPS.

That is bullshit overall almost all pc gamers play with unlocked framerate and there is no thing wrong with screen same as mgs4 and gow 3 unlocked framerate didn't introduce problems

1 frame out of 60 isn't really noticeable

GameSeeker

This is a smart way to address frame rate vs. graphics complexity.

Target 30fps for SP mode and add tons of graphics eye-candy. Target 60fps for MP modes for smooth, fast action and fun. More games should take this path.

x-Lundz-x

This seems weird to me, that cinematic single player experience I guess.

It might be a little jarring at first but I imagine it will be no big deal. I always play SP first and complete the campaign before going into multiplayer anyway. I want all the eye candy I can get in single player from these programming gods.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It'll feel really weird going from SP 30fps to MP 60fps :/

LCfiner

Less input lag? Because that's what the 'weight' is. 60fps will result in less visible input lag.

yeah, but if the "lag" is deliberately put in there as a design choice, as it was with KZ2, they could choose to keep it in or remove it even if it was 60fps.

Anyway, I thik I just need to read impressions and look at more MP footage to see what kind of gun feel they're going for.

Well the good thing about the framerate split between modes is that the people who say they can't see the difference will finally have a game that lets them test that theory.

Violater

It might be a little jarring at first but I imagine it will be no big deal. I always play SP first and complete the campaign before going into multiplayer anyway. I want all the eye candy I can get in single player from these programming gods.

I hardly ever go back and play the SP to be honest, but I guess the trade off is the MP won't have all the eye candy as the SP.

Nozem

Praise da lawd!

60fps for multiplayer is excellent. Once everybody is used to that there's no way they're going back to 30 for the next game.

Really impressive.

Every thing they've announced about KZ:SF this week has been great news.

Looks like they're really competing hard to compete with CoD and BF.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well the good thing about the framerate split between modes is that the people who say they can't see the difference will finally have a game that lets them test that theory.

Dude my grandma suffered from framerate blindness in her right eye since child birth and I dont appreciate that demeaning tone of yours.

Top Bottom