• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolitio

If anyone still plays LOTRO, message me and we'll pass the time together until the next GW2 weekend. It's sad that we're having such withdrawals...lol

Herla

We had a few people offer to try the NA server from EU, can we get a report from those guys (or a link to your post if you already have)?

I posted my impressions in the Guild thread

PvE - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37354581&postcount=422
PvP - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37370001&postcount=440
WvW - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37380374&postcount=444

Essentially no problem whatsoever apart from a couple of server-wide lag spikes, so nothing on my end.
I played A LOT of WvW and never had any problem, no matter the scale or the amount of particle effects (and that's saying a lot, with all the crap that goes on when you have to bring down a gate). Hell, even the final beta event was perfectly playable.

JonCha

Went through all of my characters last night in Guild Wars and found out I had shit load of pets including rare, unique and uncommon varieties. Also got my fifth armour set on display, and another Protector Title (got two, which is all I want). Now I need to get M.O.X, the pets and the hero armour. Oh, and the weapons which sounds rock hard to get.

18 points. Want about 28.

Nyx

Ugh, turns out a lot of illegal keys were sold by different webshops, and ofcourse the webshop I bought a (working) key from is now offline.

Guess my GW2 registration will be disabled soon enough, already sent a mail to support to check if my key perhaps IS valid, but I don't think so....

Anyway, if people here are searching for cheap keys, do not buy from CJS-cdkeys or mplocker.com.

desverger

Not sure if you noticed it during this BWE, but they way the handled crafting materials is simply genius.

If you right-click on any non-refined crafting material in your inventory (the items that come from salvaging or gathering), you have an option to "Deposit Collectable" which immediately sends that item to your bank's Collectables tab.

When you are at your bank, you can take stuff out of the Collectables tab. It works exactly like in GW1 Materials tab in bank, it has one slot for each collectable that doesn't take up regular bank space.

So yeah, no reason not to gather everything you see. The crafting nodes also seem like they are individually instanced, so if you see someone harvesting an ore deposit, it's not gone for you :)

desverger

Wow I didn't even realize there were stealth attacks when i played thief.... doh...

Lol, they are kind difficult to notice since stealth lasts only three seconds or so. I ended up linking my stealth abilities to guild chat just so I could read them up :p

Anyway, stealthing as a thief changes your "1" ability to do something different depending on your equipped MH.

Here are the ones I noticed:
Dagger: Backstab - Massive damage if you hit an enemy from behind
Shortbow: Surprise Shot - Immobilizing shot
Pistol: ??? - Seemed to be some kind of barrage that caused bleed? Similar to Unload.
Sword: ??? - Daze? Not sure.

Ferrio

Banned
Lol, they are kind difficult to notice since stealth lasts only three seconds or so. I ended up linking my stealth abilities to guild chat just so I could read them up :p

Anyway, stealthing as a thief changes your "1" ability to do something different depending on your equipped MH.

Here are the ones I noticed:
Dagger: Backstab - Massive damage if you hit an enemy from behind
Shortbow: Surprise Shot - Immobilizing shot
Pistol: ??? - Seemed to be some kind of barrage that caused bleed? Similar to Unload.
Sword: ??? - Daze? Not sure.

All here

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth_skill

Jira

A post I just made in the WvW section of the forums:

I had this idea for WvW that might help out with a couple issues for the defending forces of a Keep/Tower/SC. It’s very noticeable that people who actively defend points aren’t rewarded nearly as much or often as a group who’s actively attacking. Typically, if a force assaults your Tower/Keep that you’re occupying then you might kill some, but the rest will run away giving you very little XP/Karma/Coin.

Add realm based Strike Forces into the game using a similar system to the Harpy faction who you can get to attack points for you. Make it so they can only be purchased via Stonemist Castle or your home base in each map. Have the SF sent out only from those points in which you can build them at. Obviously the cost would be Supply and have some form of cooldown on it so it can’t be spammed. Let me set up an example:

The Red team buys a Strike Force and some time goes by to build it while they train up. Maybe have the SF team be a group of 5 NPCs, one Veteran, 2 ranged, 2 melee. Allow the person who bought it to tell them where to attack. Most teams would use this to aid in an assault on say a Supply Camp. So say the Red team sends this SF out to a Blue Supply Camp, well if there’s players there defending, this would give them a source of XP/Karma/Coin via a defend event as well as loot from the NPCs they killed. This would also help smaller groups of say 3 people attack a supply camp due to the NPCs on their side.

Like the NPCs at the supply camp, make it so you can upgrade the Strike Force troops. Now there’s obviously a balance that must be struck so that if no player is defending a Supply Camp that’s being attacked by a SF that the SF can wipe out the NPCs there and of course that the defenders can kill the SF too. Though if that Strike Force does kill the defending NPC force, then make the camp Neutral, but don’t just automatically give it to the owners of the Strike Force, a player would still need to cap it for their realm.

On the same note, you could use a similar system that has this Strike Force seek out enemy Caravans so that would give people defending the Dolyaks something to do and more XP/Karma/Coin.

This whole idea stems from the fact that people actively defending points simply don’t get enough XP/Karma/Coin, nor do they have much to do at all if no one is attacking. The attacking forces are always out doing something whereas the defenders are kind of just sitting around.

Just an idea I came up with to help out with the income issues for defenders in WvW, I’m sure that you guys have already started talking about the balance of income in WvW so this all may not be necessary, however, it would really give those defending points and Caravans something to do.

Not sure if you noticed it during this BWE, but they way the handled crafting materials is simply genius.

If you right-click on any non-refined crafting material in your inventory (the items that come from salvaging or gathering), you have an option to "Deposit Collectable" which immediately sends that item to your bank's Collectables tab.

When you are at your bank, you can take stuff out of the Collectables tab. It works exactly like in GW1 Materials tab in bank, it has one slot for each collectable that doesn't take up regular bank space.

So yeah, no reason not to gather everything you see. The crafting nodes also seem like they are individually instanced, so if you see someone harvesting an ore deposit, it's not gone for you :)

Wow that sounds awesome. I had no idea what the collectables did. I barely used the bank because I kept using the materials up.

Finding out about stuff I missed during beta is making me want to play it even more.

Warrior PvP. Holy shit! 0_0

Edit:eek:nly the first minute is really worth it. After that it's about 10 minutes of him setting his build and running around the mists. But that first minute!

Here is part two. More actual action. In this one you can tell his build relies heavily on a stun from the shield, so it has great burst damage but not the greatest for going alone too often. Could be good for a group build though, that damage output is nuts.

Jira

Edit:eek:nly the first minute is really worth it. After that it's about 10 minutes of him setting his build and running around the mists. But that first minute!

Here is part two. More actual action. In this one you can tell his build relies heavily on a stun from the shield, so it has great burst damage but not the greatest for going alone too often. Could be good for a group build though, that damage output is nuts.

He can only do it once a minute and if someone dodges the initial engagement then his entire build fails.

mbmonk

Arnold Schwarzenegger plays guild wars!!!! I swear I thought it was Arnold at first when he started talking. I am just going to imagine it is Arnold teaching me how to play GW2 PvP :)

He can only do it once a minute and if someone dodges the initial engagement then his entire build fails.

Yeah, that's why I think it could have potential for a team build. He was still getting great damage output with greatsword with eviscerate and if he pairs with a heavy cc team the build could still be great with others keeping them down. Then he wouldn't rely so heavily on his knockdown.

Arnold Schwarzenegger plays guild wars!!!! I swear I thought it was Arnold at first when he started talking. I am just going to imagine it is Arnold teaching me how to play GW2 PvP :)

Now I wish I had sound.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wooow, slept 12ish hours last "night," guess the weekend caught up with me.

Somebody tell me the client magically started letting people back in?

mbmonk

Thanks for posting these vids. I had no idea you could customize your build that much in PvP. I am completely new to GW2 so I learned quite a bit from it. :)

Wooow, slept 12ish hours last "night," guess the weekend caught up with me.

Somebody tell me the client magically started letting people back in?

I think you're still sleeping... Or at least hoping you woke up to a good dream. :lol

Thanks for posting these vids. I had no idea you could customize your build that much in PvP. I am completely new to GW2 so I learned quite a bit from it. :)

All the Runes and different modifiers really open up the different builds. You can have an awesome build but if you put the wrong modifiers on your gear the stats could go to the wrong place. It's really a great system that I don't think is getting enough attention as far as PvP goes. Maybe people just didn't realize it was in the beta.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I did miss the podcast last night, right? Sorry about that guys! Falling asleep at 7:00pm is not typical for me.
KuGsj.gif

My name is Hawkian on Steam by the way- if anyone feels like adding me to play some games to pass the time in the weeks while we wait for release, or ever has any GW2 quesitons they'd like to chat about (I'm kind of embarrassingly knowledgeable about the game now :-[).

Proven

Yeah, which is why he talked about needing to watch what the other classes are doing and learning their tricks. Two that left him a little uncertain were Thief and Mesmer. It's still a good build, it's just burst damage. He did give himself some escape mechanics through skills and trait choice as well.

2San

Yeah, that's why I think it could have potential for a team build. He was still getting great damage output with greatsword with eviscerate and if he pairs with a heavy cc team the build could still be great with others keeping them down. Then he wouldn't rely so heavily on his knockdown.
DPS like this should be really nice in team builds. People always choke or get nervous when a sudden burst hits them. Looks like a viable build.

Mulligan

Banned
DPS like this should be really nice in team builds. People always choke or get nervous when a sudden burst hits them. Looks like a viable build.

I think a bleed + knockdown focused 5v5 build would be really good.

At the moment i'm thinking: 2 warriors. one bleed centric, and one knockdown centric.
2 eles. one bleed/burning centric, one knockdown/crit centric.
1 guardian. burning/knockdown/buffing
I'll have a go using the build creator at some point.

What do you guys think? Any other decent 5v5 build ideas?

I think a bleed + knockdown focused 5v5 build would be really good.

At the moment i'm thinking: 2 warriors. one bleed centric, and one knockdown centric.
2 eles. one bleed/burning centric, one knockdown/crit centric.
1 guardian. burning/knockdown/buffing
I'll have a go using the build creator at some point.

What do you guys think? Any other decent 5v5 build ideas?

I was almost thinking the same type of build with 2 ele's one focused on CC and support and one burning/bleed but I was thinking a Boon heavy Mesmer due to Warrior's empowered trait. But I know next to nothing about Mesmer and Guardian so don't really know which one would be better with boons.

Jira

"Just keep in mind that you’ve seen only a small part of the game. Unfortunately it’s not very welcoming to new players to lock down entire sections of the zones when they fail events. Later on we might not be so forgiving…"

You saw stuff getting locked down in the starter zones, but then it gets even more heavy even in the 2nd zones you go to. In Kessex Peak there's a giant section of centuar invasions where they hold catapults and fire them at you and giant bosses and bridges that can be destroyed and undead who take over areas very quickly. It's nice to see that they're not going to hold back once people get out of the first zones and really have enemies take over.

You saw stuff getting locked down in the starter zones, but then it gets even more heavy even in the 2nd zones you go to. In Kessex Peak there's a giant section of centuar invasions where they hold catapults and fire them at you and giant bosses and bridges that can be destroyed and undead who take over areas very quickly.

I'm expecting events involving storming a keep or defending a keep. Sort of like a PvE version of WvW at some point. But I also hope it veries with the locking off zones and that it doesn't just include who occupies the area. Sort of like an event where there is something blocking a cave and then a chain event takes you through to end up removing it and soon that reveals a big cave system or something. Just hope it's more varying than just 'this enemy occupies this area but if you beat them we do' sort of thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You saw stuff getting locked down in the starter zones, but then it gets even more heavy even in the 2nd zones you go to. In Kessex Peak there's a giant section of centuar invasions where they hold catapults and fire them at you and giant bosses and bridges that can be destroyed and undead who take over areas very quickly. It's nice to see that they're not going to hold back once people get out of the first zones and really have enemies take over.
Awesome.

Jira

I'm expecting events involving storming a keep or defending a keep. Sort of like a PvE version of WvW at some point. But I also hope it veries with the locking off zones and that it doesn't just include who occupies the area. Sort of like an event where there is something blocking a cave and then a chain event takes you through to end up removing it and soon that reveals a big cave system or something. Just hope it's more varying than just 'this enemy occupies this area but if you beat them we do' sort of thing.

They do have something like that. There's an event chain in I think the 2nd Charr zone where if you go through the chain it opens up an open world dungeon that is VERY hard and if the Charr come along and take it back then you can't get back in so don't die. Also, on a smaller scale there was this event I did to clear Ettins out and this big Ettin broke a hole in this cave wall and let me loot his treasure and some mining nodes. So with that in mind there's no reason to think they can't scale that up where it opens up a whole new area that was otherwise inaccessible.

They do have something like that. There's an event chain in I think the 2nd Charr zone where if you go through the chain it opens up an open world dungeon that is VERY hard and if the Charr come along and take it back then you can't get back in so don't die. Also, on a smaller scale there was this event I did to clear Ettins out and this big Ettin broke a hole in this cave wall and let me loot his treasure and some mining nodes. So with that in mind there's no reason to think they can't scale that up where it opens up a whole new area that was otherwise inaccessible.

I think I did the start of that Ettins chain but I kept dying(was underlevelled) so went elsewhere. I fully expect stuff to be like this throughout the game, I wasn't being negative, was sort of just my hopes. I already saw stuff getting more complicated in the second human zone, I really can't wait to see the stuff in the high end zones. I may have to play Charr more the next beta, if sylvari or Asura isn't in... :p

I want the beta back!

Vinci

Danish
I have not suffered from game withdrawals in a very long time. And I didn't even get to play that much!

But, yeah, I want beta back.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't believe I only explored half of Lion's Arch despite going to the highest point, deepest point underwater, and finding a secret tunnel with little mutant guys in it.

ShaneB

So I did miss the podcast last night, right? Sorry about that guys! Falling asleep at 7:00pm is not typical for me.
KuGsj.gif

My name is Hawkian on Steam by the way- if anyone feels like adding me to play some games to pass the time in the weeks while we wait for release, or ever has any GW2 quesitons they'd like to chat about (I'm kind of embarrassingly knowledgeable about the game now :-[).

Added you on Steam :) Doubt in the next 2 weeks I'll play anything before Diablo 3, but more Steam friends is always nice, especially GW2 buddies!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still haven't decided on D3. If I can get a good deal on it I probably won't be able to resist, but it'll feel sad to abandon my characters when GW2 comes out.
KuGsj.gif

ShaneB

We should get a GW2 Diablo 3 group list going. Sounds like a lot of us(everyone) is planning on playing.

I have no issues with that. The GAF battletag list that is going around is getting absolutely massive.

I have no idea if you can organize the friends list in Diablo 3, but would be nice to at least have a specific list for GW2 buddies.

It's true. I was/am in the neogaf and another guild.

Awesome! Definitely wanted to join the GAF guild but have some RL friends that wanted to start our own thing too so this is perfect. So to join GAF, do I need to just go to the thread for it buried in community somewhere and make a request during the next BETA?

Good write-up. A lot better than some of the people just telling them stuff happens too often or stuff is too easy.

For some reason that made me think of something I didn't think about before. When you do a collection part of a hear or the events where you have to take them items do you get EXP for each item you give them? I just don't think it's a good idea to not give xp for each item as most people would probably opt for whatever they can kill as that will give them the kill xp on top of the event xp.

Ferny

Awesome! Definitely wanted to join the GAF guild but have some RL friends that wanted to start our own thing too so this is perfect. So to join GAF, do I need to just go to the thread for it buried in community somewhere and make a request during the next BETA?

Yeah or look for us in game. We will post all the info again unless they don't wipe which in that case it'll be the same as the last time and we will repost that stuff as well.

Jira

Good write-up. A lot better than some of the people just telling them stuff happens too often or stuff is too easy.

For some reason that made me think of something I didn't think about before. When you do a collection part of a hear or the events where you have to take them items do you get EXP for each item you give them? I just don't think it's a good idea to not give xp for each item as most people would probably opt for whatever they can kill as that will give them the kill xp on top of the event xp.

Thanks, most people giving feedback on the forum is terrible. As for your question if I had to guess they probably take the amount of items you turn in and roll that into the XP you get upon Heart completion.

Thanks, most people giving feedback on the forum is terrible. As for your question if I had to guess they probably take the amount of items you turn in and roll that into the XP you get upon Heart completion.

Yeah, I was wanting to do a big post on the forums like my large 'tweaks needed' post I did here a couple pages back, but I didn't really know where to post one large post like that so I opted not to. Most of the stuff in my thoughts were in the comment popups or bug reports pretty extensively, so I thought that would do well enough.

I'm hoping it does that, I think I will pay attention closer in the next beta. I know it does that for the collection events so it makes sense that they do it in the hearts, but I'll have to check that out.

ShaneB

How did everyone feel about the waypoint system?

One thing I've loved about MMOs is the sheer scale, having to take time to travel, etc. It might be annoying to realize you have to travel so far to get to a specific place, but it added to the immersion.

I can understand the appeal of the waypoints, and it was neat zipping around, but it did take away that sense of scale and made everything feel like it was just a load screen away, instead of a vast distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom