• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
The premise is that they don't. If everyone can be in the same guild there is no issue.

All I'm saying is that at this point we're going to have to have more than one guild, just like we had for the BWE.

Now if that is the case anyway, you might as well split it up with timezone differences. Of course this doesn't mean everyone has to adhere to this, but as a general concept for a MMO I think people want to play together..

I think first splitting among people who are more interested in pve/pvp might be better. Then into time zones if we must. Though like all gaf guilds.. eventually people will become inactive and I'm sure there will have to be a merging.

Jira

Are they raising the guild cap?

I think having EU's on the NA is fine.. need people to guard towers 24 hours a day. Long as the EU players can deal with lag.

Yeah, I think that the 100 person thing was a bug because from video of the previous beta there were guilds well over 100.

Card Boy

Banned
Are they raising the guild cap?

I hope so, there are actually douchebags on the GW2 forums defending the 100cap. Saying it gets too crowed with more than 100 people.

The mentality of these twits blows my mind. Heres an idea for those people, don't invite more than 100 people for your Guild and don't ruin it for the rest of us by giving shit feedback to Anet.

Ferrio

Banned
I hope so, there are actually douchebags on the GW2 forums defending the 100cap. Saying it gets too crowed with more than 100 people.

The mentality of these twits blows my mind. Heres an idea for those people, don't invite more than 100 people for your Guild and don't ruin it for the rest of us by giving shit feedback to Anet.

Well on one hand I can see 100 cap being good. It makes it harder for there just to be mega zerg guilds. On the same hand people will find a way around that.

TheYanger

Not saying it's a great thing, but 100 goes a lot farther in GW than in many games since it's accounts rather than characters...we had a LOT of members.

froliq

If there will be a bigger cap then we could all just join 1 guild. Maybe have 1 or 2 extra officers for EU. Then euro's can just choose if they wanna do WvWvW with NA GAF or want to WvWvW with good latency.

With the way how guesting works as I understood it, you could just play with each other regardless of your home server choice?

cripterion

Honestly man I ran a Sword/Shield & Hammer for 8 hours in WvW and didn't have any issues. Having that S/Shield combo saved my ass more times than I can count in only one day of playing. Yeah I switched up to range when on top of a tower, but that's when we were outnumbered 6:1 and it's not like we could take them on toe to toe.

Were you playing a warrior Jira? I had the exact same combo myself.
Sword & shield, to get up close and personal, do some shield bashing, apply couple of bleeds and thanks to the 5th weapon skill get the much needed protection in PvP. Switch to hammer to bash some skulls when I was going out through our gates thanks to the AoE capability of the weapon. And took my bow when it suited my needs.

I had the bull rush, endure pain and either the dolyak or might signet as my utility skills + the warrior second healing (forgot the name of the skill) that has a 20s cooldown and removes 2 conditions.

People in this thread are saying that the rifle is more powerful than the bow, I feel stupid for not trying it during the beta.

BrettWeir

I didn't get to get into the GAF guild due to the beta bug.......but they better have a cap higher than 100....

Was frustrated beyond belief I couldn't play with guys here that I've been discussing this game with for months.

cripterion

But a bunch of us are going to be playing on off-hours a lot anyway, since we have jobs or things to do in the evening. I'm in a CST area and I'll probably get most of my playtime in from 10p-7a. Especially after I recover from my back surgery and get back to working and going out in the evenings. MMOs fit in between all that.

Even when I was in junior high and high school I did all my major PSO grinding during those hours.

Anyway, that's my biased reason for lobbying for this! This is an MMO. It'd be nice to play at any time with anybody from anywhere. It's not like American GAF players will all be able to meet up during set "normal" times in the first place. If this was a raiding guild made up of people who all know each other and meet at a set time each day or week it'd be different. But it's a broad guild that will have many different meetup times either way.

I'll be playing on Japan time so you know you'll always have someone to group with in those late hours!

Card Boy

Banned
Well on one hand I can see 100 cap being good. It makes it harder for there just to be mega zerg guilds. On the same hand people will find a way around that.

It's not really an issue tbh. In LOTRO i think the cap was 1000 members and zerg Guilds (Kinships) was never an issue. I suppose the same would hold true for WoW.

Even zerg guilds exist, it doesn't stop rival Guilds from doing the same. So it balances out. I think 1000 members is a fair cap. My GW1 had 400 members at one time, and the only solution was to create multiple Alliances with the same name with a number on the end, the 100 cap is just a hindrance.

Ferrio

Banned
2 things I'll do next beta:

1. Guardian.
2. Critical strike reliant lvl 80 PVP thief. I'm going to build a sword/pistol precision/power heavy thief. Whole point will be to get in and get out. See how that works.

Jira

Were you playing a warrior Jira? I had the exact same combo myself.
Sword & shield, to get up close and personal, do some shield bashing, apply couple of bleeds and thanks to the 5th weapon skill get the much needed protection in PvP. Switch to hammer to bash some skulls when I was going out through our gates thanks to the AoE capability of the weapon. And took my bow when it suited my needs.

I had the bull rush, endure pain and either the dolyak or might signet as my utility skills + the warrior second healing (forgot the name of the skill) that has a 20s cooldown and removes 2 conditions.

People in this thread are saying that the rifle is more powerful than the bow, I feel stupid for not trying it during the beta.

Yeah, I was. I didn't start using the Rifle until near the end of beta. I got a green rifle from a karma vendor and it had a sigil that added +5 power stacking up to 25 times as long as I didn't go down or weapon swap. Let me tell you, this thing was a BEAST at 25 stacks. If I used Brutal Shot for 5 stacks of vulnerability and then a full bar of Kill Shot, I'd do 1,500-1,700 crits without factoring in any possible utilities, though I did have

Berserker's Power 2-5% damage based on how much adrenaline you have built.

traited so that helped too.

Ferrio

Banned
I purposefully chose a Charr Guardian for the BWE thinking it was the class I was least interested in. I had so much fun. I'm going to miss that character after the reset! I feel like I barely scratched the surface, especially since I used a lot of healing skills for PvE since a lot of public people don't automatically heal during events.

Pvp was a nice way to try and see how a class acts at lvl 80. Plan to do that with my guardian. Though I think they'll shine most in WvWvW.

Stuart444

We did not confirm the once-a-month schedule people are quoting. We said “roughly” once a month and that the schedule is subject to change. This means it could be less frequent, depending on development.

Secondly, the game will be released when it is ready, regardless of what you have seen retailers displaying on their sites. I’ve seen different online retailers change their supposed release dates of Guild Wars 2 many times over the past 3 years. :) When we are ready to announce it, we will.

From Regina

inky

We said “roughly” once a month and that the schedule is subject to change. This means it could be less frequent, depending on development.

LOL

You already have my money (and part of my soul), what more do you want T.T

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
And if this were Blizzard, we'd have Ghostcrawler making fun of everyone's intelligence. Good upgrade, ArenaNet.

Hmmm. Except for the crosshair physically showing up on screen, this is more or less how combat works for me with a gamepad, unless you "promote" a target to primary by tabbing or clicking onto it. Since there is no crosshair it's just whoever is in the path of your skill which is essentially the center of your screen/window. There's an item in the options you need to definitely not have checked (promote skill targets to full targets). You could tape a crosshair to your monitor :p

In all seriousness though, I don't see why you couldn't use my AutoHotKey script to mimic the right mouse button being held down by pressing F7 (or something else you specify), yet continue to play with a mouse and keyboard... so that you basically had true mouselook (wouldn't hurt your hand anymore). You wouldn't be able to rebind the right-click key to something else in-game without some tweaking though. Playing like this gets you much closer to "crosshair" combat, for sure. You'd right-click to get your cursor back to aim AOE... hmm, maybe having right click actually be the toggle key would be ideal for you.

I don't know if that's making sense but if yoiu're interested I'm happy to clarify and/or give you the script.

That's kind of how I play currently. Targeting enemies close to the center of the screen, except with M2 held down the whole time. I just think it would be good for people who want that option. I'm not saying it should be forced, just something that could be checked in the options menu.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm probably going to wait and see if they add it in before I mess with anything.

Mastamind

Sometimes when salvaging gear i would get an item labeled as "salvaged item". Would this item have some use in crafting or would it be the leftover scraps that you should vendor?

Retro

From the posts I vaguely remember, those people were asking for it.

Nah. While I will say that the WoW Forums are easily the worst community I've ever seen, the attitude a lot of developers had towards that community was pretty shitty too. I mean, I'm sure listening to that much stupidity day-in and day-out would drive anyone over the deep end, but they're paid for the job and they represent the company as a whole. Don't like having to deal with obsessive gamers? Get a new job.

Outside of the forums, their attitude towards their players at Blizzcon and such was also pretty bad. The Q&A sessions almost always had someone asking about something and getting mocked (usually something like item dyes, wardrobes, player housing, etc.) I can remember one particular instance where a woman was very clearly a big RPer asking questions relevant to her game experience and they just laughed at her. They're not as bad as some developers I've seen, but they can be pretty nasty to their fans.

Sometimes when salvaging gear i would get an item labeled as "salvaged item". Would this item have some use in crafting or would it be the leftover scraps that you should vendor?

Salvage Items are purely for salvage, and serve no other purpose as far as I know. You're talking about stuff like leather hides, metal scraps, etc., correct?

Ettie

Beta Weekend Events were events that took place once a month to let players experience the game before official release, in 2005.

People who wanted to play had to obtain a key from someone who pre-ordered the game or get an access key from a number of fansites.

The end of the events usually involved fireworks.

There were a total of six weekends in all:

November 6th 2004 until November 8th 2004
December 4th 2004 until December 6th 2004
This event featured the introduction of an active guild ladder. Players from top guilds at the end of this BWE 'ladder season' supposedly received invitations to join the Alpha Test Team for Guild Wars.
January 7th 2005 until January 9th 2005
February 18th 2005 until February 20th 2005
March 18th 2005 until March 20th 2005
This event's finale featured multiple Gwens being spawned and killing all players online at the time with Spontaneous Combustion.
April 15th 2005 until April 17th 2005
This event's finale featured Infernal Wurms spawning in Lion's Arch and Tomb of the Primeval Kings.

Gwen's quotes while burning Ascalon:

My 3 favourite things: Skipping, playing the flute, and burning towns down.
Mommy always said not to play with fire. But Mommy's dead.
Why does everyone I love always die?
You didn't save Ascalon, now I'm going to hurt you.
Painful to live in fear, isn't it?
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!
If you don't get off me, I'll burn you, <Character name>.
Do you like fire, <Character name>?
Did I say you could talk to me, <Character name>?
Stop touching me, <Character name>, that's inappropriate behavior.
My name is Gwen, and I don't liiike yooou.
Ashes, ashes, you all fall down!

Someone asked, that was the BWE schedule for GW1. I hope it's shorter this time around. Gwen quotes left in from the wiki page for nostalgia.

inky

So basically they're just vendor trash from failed salvage attempts. Thanks.

I think you misread the item descriptions. They had "salvageable item" on them and you probably thought it said "salvaged item".

AFAIK vendor trash just said "soulbound" without a proper description. For example hoofs or some variety of goo, etc.

Mastamind

I think you misread the item descriptions. They had "salvageable item" on them and you probably thought it said "salvaged item".

AFAIK vendor trash just said "soulbound" without a proper description. For example hoofs or some variety of goo, etc.

very possible had very little sleep during the weekend

Retro

Vendor trash has grey text and is only there to fill your inventory and make you miserable. =)

Salvageable items (torn rags, rough hide, metal scraps) can be salvaged to produce crafting materials.

Jayge

Vendor trash was honestly the most annoying but constant maintainer of my bottom line when I went on some minor buying splurges with my minuscule fortune throughout the weekend. Low on funds, need to post up a listing fee for a big ticket drop? Sell the trash! Hopefully its value scales.

Stuart444

Hey, Jim Boer on the forums posted this about external music in reply to a thread:

It’s actually in and working, but the feature wasn’t publicly documented. Here’s how it currently works:

Under [Your Name]\Documents\Guild Wars Gw2Dev folder, you’ll see that GW2 creates a Music folder next to the Screens folder (where screenshots go). All you need to do to get your external music collection playing in the game is to create a playlist of the appropriate name and type in this folder.

Supported playlist formats are .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax.

Supported audio types are everything FMOD supports by default, which includes .mp3, .ogg, .flac, .wav. aiff, and a bunch of old-school music formats, like .mid or .it files.

There are eight specific playlists the game recognizes, and these are designated simply by the playlist’s file name. They are: Ambient, Battle, Underwater, City, Crafting, BossBattle, NightTime, and MainMenu. Hopefully these are somewhat self-explanatory in terms of when you might expect to hear them play.

So, for example, if you create a playlist called Ambient.m3u, anything in that playlist will be heard instead of the standard in-game ambient music (the general music you hear when running around in the world).

Each internal playlist can designate a primary and secondary playlist to look for. Most of the playlists will fall back to Ambient if they do not exist. This means that if you’d like to simply replace the majority of the music in the game, you can just create an Ambient playlist, or maybe just Ambient and Battle. However, if you really want to customize your playlist in detail, you can create the more specialized playlists such as NightTime or Crafting.

The easiest (and at the moment, the only) way to test this is with a MainMenu playlist, since that will replace the music at the login screen.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Nah. While I will say that the WoW Forums are easily the worst community I've ever seen, the attitude a lot of developers had towards that community was pretty shitty too.[/B] I mean, I'm sure listening to that much stupidity day-in and day-out would drive anyone over the deep end, but they're paid for the job and they represent the company as a whole. Don't like having to deal with obsessive gamers? Get a new job.

Who cares if they're paid? Like you said when they're seeing the same shit every day they're bound to be fed up with it. Do I think they're wrong with some of their responses? Oh yeah. Can I blame them? Hell no. Seriously, doing customer service can be a blast when you're dealing with people who are chill and can accept anything that comes their way, but when you're dealing with the types that constantly bitch and gripe until the cows come home.. there's not much else you can do besides laying down the facts and being real. We get so much shit tossed at us than people realize because they're so busy supporting the people throwing the bitch fit.

That aside, yes, their devs can be pretty terrible at times.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Who cares if they're paid? Like you said when they're seeing the same shit every day they're bound to be fed up with it. Do I think they're wrong with some of their responses? Oh yeah. Can I blame them? Hell no. Seriously, doing customer service can be a blast when you're dealing with people who are chill and can accept anything that comes their way, but when you're dealing with the types that constantly bitch and gripe until the cows come home.. there's not much else you can do besides laying down the facts and being real. We get so much shit tossed at us than people realize because they're so busy supporting the people throwing the bitch fit.

That aside, yes, their devs can be pretty terrible at times.

Part of the grounds on which they're receiving money is to not blow up at the people they're supposed to be communicating with. Laying down the facts is one thing, that's part of moderation, but you also have no choice but to be respectful to the people who are using your product.

Kalnos

Banned
Yeah... I think some of you guys are coming off a little bitter towards the WoW devs. I'm sure months after the game is released the ArenaNet devs that are currently on a pedestal will be thrown under a bus.

Hell, at my software dev job if I had the luxury of acting the way that Blizzard's devs do at times I would surely take advantage of it.

DJIzana

oh.....damn nicely played never thought about bombs+shield pistol combo

still looking for info on how people liked the elixir gun. if its worth it.

Holy shit jumping puzzles/Hidden areas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmXQgLJ_ww&feature=autoplay&list=PLCCFAF0C5F0ED403A&playnext=1

no idea what they were saying was watching southpark on the other monitor.

Wow, thanks for linking this... MORE games need elements like this!

TOTALLY can't wait to experience more of these awesome jumping puzzles. I REALLY hope they add in a fair bit of 'em or other cool type of skill challenges as well!

Rad-

Since it's just home server stuff, can't Eurogaf just be in the main GAF guild? Or is the lag so bad that WvWvW is ruined?

It could be good for our server to have people dominating in WvWvW in the off hours. :p

Euro main guild would have probably worked better in the beta actually because I switched to Jade Sea for a while and the WvW fights were really balanced. The score line was something 22-21-23 and playing it was much more fun. Compared to US where we just got destroyed.

eek5

I got a random loot mystic key outside of the area surrounded by centuars.

I got two from my personal story but none from loot. I did buy a bunch with my free gems and opened several chests. I didn't really get anything that great. Notables were 50% increased karma for 1 hr, 50% increased crafting xp for 1 hr

You also get potions every box that turn you into animals or something but I have no idea what the purpose of it is lol

I got a key from random questing (i didnt do any personal story stuff outside of the mandatory intro). It let me open the stack of 3 or so chests before disappearing. I got some random little buff pots, i think an xp gain, some "transform into an animal" pots, and i think a karma increase pot.

Grayman

when i opened one i got the animal thing and i think my xp potion was the chain one from guild wars where you need to kill every 30 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom