• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

What I noticed with that build is that you really can't do that. When you stop, you die. He makes that build look much more durable than it actually is because he moves so well. Believe me, it's soft as hell. The only proper defense there is the occasional protection that activating signets apply. But even that lasts just like 2 seconds at a time so it doesn't help that much in the end.

Now that I think about it, if I play that build again I will probably switch Arcane Blast with Arcane Shield. Helps when ressing or finishing people.

Ah, gotcha.

Where are my fellow guardians at? Speaking from a strict PvE standpoint, I find this class to be amazing to surviving stuff, simply smashing F1-F3 if I go against a veteran level enemy. I would jump in with a greatsword, toss a symbol, whirling wrath and keep a binding chain if need be.

Finish off with Sword + Shield combination to keep them blinded temporarily and I've taken well over 1/2 of the veteran enemy HP, and didn't really take much damage.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Where are my fellow guardians at? Speaking from a strict PvE standpoint, I find this class to be amazing to surviving stuff, simply smashing F1-F3 if I go against a veteran level enemy. I would jump in with a greatsword, toss a symbol, whirling wrath and keep a binding chain if need be.

Finish off with Sword + Shield combination to keep them blinded temporarily and I've taken well over 1/2 of the veteran enemy HP, and didn't really take much damage.

Yeah, I played as a Guardian. Hammer for damage and healing, and mace/torch for boons and conditions. Spirit weapons for additional defense and healing. Made quick work of anything that faced me 1 on 1.

Stuart444

I tried out a Guardian quickly on the last day and really enjoyed it. May end up making two humans and have one as a Guardian at full release.

Enjoyable profession.

DJIzana

Yeah, I liked them quite a bit too. Finished off the beta with a level 18 human guardian. I'll definitely be making mine as Sylvari in release though but it will be my 2nd profession. I really enjoyed sword / shield coupled with the sceptor / focus or greatsword as offspec too.

My main profession will be an Elementalist, I've had far more fun with that & I like there spells from a visual standpoint too. Main reason being this will be my main profession is because I *always* make a melee based character so this time I'm going to switch it up.

Proven

Btw here is a really good PVP ele video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afcZ20bbfkY&feature=player_embedded

He uses almost the same build that I found the best for PVP ele (I had a different elite though), except he just plays it much better than I did. :p

Survivability does not a tank make; above all else, tanks are about specialized crowd control. Seeing as there is no particular aggro table, and no way to directly influence mob targeting, ANet needn't worry about giving melee a bit more defensive ability. See: Fiona in Vindictus.

I looked at the video and I agree with Rad's later assessment. He's good on movement but I used a similar setup during the beta and still had a problem in PvE.

The problem with Survivability vs. Control is the type of control. When you have ten guys on you, having a shield, AoE stun, or something like the Mesmer's Blurred Frenzy is what you need, not something that stuns a single guy or blinds people for a few seconds. The former is how you deal with aggro such that not everybody has to run around in circles kiting. The latter is how you deal with a few guys that sneak up on you.

If you don't have something to make you invulnerable then you need something that can stop the enemy/keep you away immediately, and not have you get damaged a second later. Warriors and Guardians can easily do this, Mesmers and Thieves have a bit of trouble but do have ways to step into and out of combat quickly and often enough. Other classes need more of it or will just have to depend on traits for defense rather than actual skills.

Jira

I was looking at the suggestion section of the official forums and my god there's some STUPID people on there. Also, these kinds of comments boggle my mind:

I got some guardian armour that was basically just a leather strap going across the upper chest with the rest of the body being shown. I completely regretted spending the karma on it and it made me feel sick looking at it so I instantly destroyed it.

Made them feel sick? WAT

Achtius

I assume this is the one they are talking about ... wtf indeed.

800px-Heavy_armor_render.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's not as egregious as I expected...

Remember, tomorrow you can play as this respectable young woman:
peshn.png

DJIzana

Wow... that armor... if the dyes you can buy through the gem store are way better than the ones you start off with (I'm assuming they still armor, last I recall they said they had like 400 choices or something to that amount) then I'm totally going to drop some money on that.

I'd typically want some silver, black, white or armor dyes... even a cool green, blue or red would be awesome for me! :D

Ferny

I see that it's free servers apparently. Couldn't hurt to check it out I guess!
It certainly sounds good but i'll check it out a little later see how it works out. I like mumble mostly because I don't want everyone to have to dl and learn to use a whole new client just for the guild and general chat.

ShaneB

It certainly sounds good but i'll check it out a little later see how it works out. I like mumble mostly because I don't want everyone to have to dl and learn to use a whole new client just for the guild and general chat.

Pretty much. TS/Vent became the defacto choices just because everyone had it. Mumble looks like it's taking over, so to add a new program in the mix could be a bit much, but who knows, if it's fine and dandy, by all means.

Jira

Wow... that armor... if the dyes you can buy through the gem store are way better than the ones you start off with (I'm assuming they still armor, last I recall they said they had like 400 choices or something to that amount) then I'm totally going to drop some money on that.

I'd typically want some silver, black, white or armor dyes... even a cool green, blue or red would be awesome for me! :D

Well there's multiple ways to obtain dyes that we know of.

- Dye seeds turned into the dude in your personal instance will get you one every 24 hours
- Buying dyes from the TP
- Buying them from the Gem Store, but it's also nice that you don't have to spend your real money if you don't want to since you can convert Gold to Gems.

Retro

Is the second from the left Guardian armor only? That's exactly what I wanted for a Warrior.

There are no profession restrictions on armor, just weight class. So your warrior can wear any "guardian-style" armor, a thief can wear any engineer or ranger armor, an elementalist any necro or mesmer armor.

demolitio

There are no profession restrictions on armor, just weight class. So your warrior can wear any "guardian-style" armor, a thief can wear any engineer or ranger armor, an elementalist any necro or mesmer armor.

Sweet, I always loved the real medieval looking armor and I love those specific helms that are similar to Rome or Sparta, etc. That's like a mix of the two plus more.

etiolate

Banned
I was a major GW1 Mesmer player. It was my first PVE character and I played a lot of it in PVP. I made a lot of Mes builds. So my purpose in this beta was to give the Mesmer class a hard look. I loved the beta and I'm hooked, but these are my Mes impressions.

Good stuff:

Sword and melee worked better and felt more enjoyable than I was expecting, at least against one to three mobs. Of course, like every other melee, they suffered once you plowed into a large DE or a WvWvW siege.

There are some more Mesmery skills such as Mirrored Feedback and Mimic, though Mimic felt a little bit clunky in working it.

I also enjoyed the Staff a lot more than I was expecting. I think they have improved the damage of WoChaos from initial playtests. In large groups, the condition and boon aoe is very useful in a support role, even though the boons and conditions are random. You plop Chaos Storm on top of a large group and good things tend to happen. It was also quite easy to pop up illusions with the staff compared to say the Greatsword.

Meh Things:

Greatsword's Mindstab felt like the best skill in the GS skillset. I saw some big damage numbers with it and it applies a good stack of vulnerability. It seems to work like how Shatter Dillusions worked, in that the debuff hits before the damage thus increasing the effective spike. There is still plenty of spatial surge spam to be had, but its not in a 1-button spammy way like it looked in the press betas. On the other hand, the phantom summoning from Phantasm Beserker is really ineffective. Too much inactive time from the phantasm and it takes too long to even show up in the playing field.

I wasn't finding much use out of the Focus skills.I also noticed that Focus had a damage stat tied to it though I had no direct attack skills with the focus weapon. Not sure how that is working right now.

Problematic things:

The entire illusion and shatter class mechanic is not really working. Single mobs die too quickly to even bother with using the illusion summonings on them. Path finding AI creates a major delivery issue problem. When you are thinking "I need to daze this foe", you end up getting frustrated with the delay from your clones running at the target and the continued delay if the target runs away. If your illusions die along the way then you wasted multiple actions and CDs to accomplish less or nothing. If your target runs out of range, then your illusions just stand there, do nothing and cannot be shattered.If your target dies soon after a summoning then you blew a CD and got zero out of it. This is especially annoying for phantasms.

Shatters are also useless vs doors and environmental objects. This just shouldn't work this way. A huge part of a class shouldn't be rendered useless versus a major part of WvWvW.

The whole "Multiple inputs for the same effect that suffers from unreliability" is kind of the whole problem with illusions and shatters. That along with the great difference between use of clones (shatter bomb and ineffective distraction*) and phantasms which actually apply some useful thing at times. The two types of illusions are in conflict with each other because they both get shattered at the same time.

*Stealth and clones work better as a distraction, but again that's a lot of button pressing for one trick.

Mantras and Mantra traits weren't all working correctly. I expect this to be fixed, but it kind of threw out any mantra-based build from being used in PvP.

For some reason they took the confusion off of the scepter's Ether Bolt. They added some more damage to the Ether Bolt skill, but the removal of Confusion application kind of screwed over relying on confusion as an effective damage or deterrent.

Overall feelings:

I enjoyed playing the Mesmer, but I've come to wonder if I wasn't just enjoying the game overall and the Mesmer class didn't get in the way of that. I can say that the Mesmer didn't feel like a Mesmer and if they took bows and every huntery or rangery thing away from a Ranger then there'd be a great outrage. I think the reason there isn't as much outcry over this is because the Mesmer class doesn't exist outside of GW and so people are less familiar with what defines the class. Plus, clones and spell effects of a Mesmer are enough kitsch fun to distract people from inherit design issues.

Saying "It's a new game, you can't expect the same." doesn't really apply here. It being a new game hasn't taken the flavor from any other class. The newness isn't an excuse. If you put a class from the last game into the next game then you are taking on the responsibility of making that class work in the design of the new game. The Mesmer style is not working currently within the design.

They need to fix phantasms and realize that clones and phantasms aren't close enough in purpose to tie them to the same mechanic. They probably need to look at the class mechanic, see its not working well enough and go in a new direction. I know in the GI video with one of the designers, he dropped that they are revamping the Mesmer. I hope we see some changes from that revamp within the next couple of betas. The Necro has changed its core mechanic, so it's nothing new for Anet to do.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk about the game makes me upset that I'm not playing right now.

This. And I didn't even plan on buying it a few days ago, I just got talked into it by my ex guild >:/

DJIzana

Well there's multiple ways to obtain dyes that we know of.

- Dye seeds turned into the dude in your personal instance will get you one every 24 hours
- Buying dyes from the TP
- Buying them from the Gem Store, but it's also nice that you don't have to spend your real money if you don't want to since you can convert Gold to Gems.

Oh right... right on. I was curious about those seeds because I had a lot but never actually used them.

Did you get both a Mystic Case & Key too?

I managed to unlock one and got a consumable item that had 3 uses, transformed you into a random animal for 30 mins (which you could use the attacks from) or choose a 2% crit buff on crafting professions.

I also noticed Guild Wars 2 has magic find in the game... really cool stuff I didn't know from before!

Jira

Oh right... right on. I was curious about those seeds because I had a lot but never actually used them.

Did you get both a Mystic Case & Key too?

I managed to unlock one and got a consumable item that had 3 uses, transformed you into a random animal for 30 mins (which you could use the attacks from) or choose a 2% crit buff on crafting professions.

I also noticed Guild Wars 2 has magic find in the game... really cool stuff I didn't know from before!

I got chests, but never bought any keys. I did also hear that you could get keys from your Personal Story, but I didn't get that far in mine.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I got chests, but never bought any keys. I did also hear that you could get keys from your Personal Story, but I didn't get that far in mine.

I got one from the third or fourth personal quest, I guess they are kinda random secondary quest rewards or something.

LProtag

So is Thief shortbow actually better than Warrior longbow for WvWvW AoE stuff? I've been reading a bit and that's what it sounds like.

Guesong

Mantras and Mantra traits weren't all working correctly. I expect this to be fixed, but it kind of threw out any mantra-based build from being used in PvP.

What?

I tried Mantra Mesmer PvP, and aside from Mantra of Recovery not getting two charges from the trait that should give it two charges, it was really effective.

Jira

So is Thief shortbow actually better than Warrior longbow for WvWvW AoE stuff? I've been reading a bit and that's what it sounds like.

It has more evasive abilities where as the Warrior longbow has none so the difference being the Thief has more ways to get around/away where as the Warrior has more damage output based on burning the enemy. One is not better than the other, they just have different purposes.

inky

Holy crap that armor looks better than anything I saw in the game! Man, wish you could turn up all the options damnit.

I'm guessing that's some 'rare' pearlescent dye and not really the lack of metallic sheen in the options.

Yeah, I also kept getting keys from chests themselves.

Shortbow also does more damage at close range and Longbow does more damage the farther away you are.

Did anyone else have issues with the guard skill sanctuary still allowing enemy projectiles in? It happened a lot to me in wvw, but I might just not be understanding what counts as a projectile or not. Definately weren't any melee fighters around when I was using it to protect allies at the gates/people building siege weaps and we'd still get nuked by something while the dome was up.

Lirlond

For the next BWE, could you upgrade one of the Europeans to Officer? We were trying to hold keeps in wvw and it would be nice to be able to claim one!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Jon Peters said the 3 big things they're working on now are:

Peformance
Balance
Teaching the game to new players

Awesome, those are the 3 things that really bugged me last weekend.

Say, how bug free was GW1 when it first came out? Did it suffer from major problems? I jumped in way too late and thus have no experience with Arenanet launch problems.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

jbjks6C8GDEbmO.jpg

Mace+Torch, Greatsword; wrecking shit all day, erry day.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Couldn't we just make a GAF Europe Guild? The regular GAF guild were over 100 accounts and quite a few Europeans opted to play on the US Server for the beta.

While this probably worked for the occasional BWE where you're playing a huge chunk of time (therefor have overlapping times of play) I think it's more reasonable to have the majority people in your guild be in approximately the same timezones for common events.

I'm sure there are easily at least 20 GAF euros here that would make both guilds which are going to have to exist anyway better balanced.

Stuart444

Forum Closed to Posts 9:00 AM PDT Wednesday, May 2

The ArenaNet team would like to thank you for posting feedback about the first Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend Event. Your feedback will help us improve the game. Thank you!

The forums will be closed for posting, starting tomorrow, May 2 at 9:00 AM PDT (to see this time in your time zone, please visit this link). This will allow our teams to read and sift through all of your feedback.

The forums will remain in read-only mode for a few weeks.

Forums will be in read-only mode for a few weeks? Call me desperate (to go back to GW2 <_< ) but does that mean the next BWE will be in a few weeks?

Probably not though, will probably be at the end of the month ;_:

Retro

For the next BWE, could you upgrade one of the Europeans to Officer? We were trying to hold keeps in wvw and it would be nice to be able to claim one!

Yeah, we dropped the ball on the NA/EU issues. We definitely want EU to be supported in terms of officers and such.

We had a few people offer to try the NA server from EU, can we get a report from those guys (or a link to your post if you already have)?

Ferny

Since it's just home server stuff, can't Eurogaf just be in the main GAF guild? Or is the lag so bad that WvWvW is ruined?

It could be good for our server to have people dominating in WvWvW in the off hours. :p
You were able to join the main guild and still be on a EU server. Now I believe some people we're joining Henge and got to play just fine so it's up to the end user. All the time zone thing stuff doesn't really matter cause they'll be people on at all times so maybe people in the states may be interested to play around the same time as EU players.

Yeah, we dropped the ball on the NA/EU issues. We definitely want EU to be supported in terms of officers and such.
I don't believe we dropped the ball we just had stuff to figure out. Now we know how to go forward from here. Guild stuff was very iffy going into the BWE so we couldn't really make plans.

Ferrio

Banned
Are they raising the guild cap?

I think having EU's on the NA is fine.. need people to guard towers 24 hours a day. Long as the EU players can deal with lag.

Jira

Since it's just home server stuff, can't Eurogaf just be in the main GAF guild? Or is the lag so bad that WvWvW is ruined?

It could be good for our server to have people dominating in WvWvW in the off hours. :p

Judging the latency from this beta isn't really a good idea. When the servers first went up at 10:30AM, my latency was fantastic and everything was butter. As people crammed in hours later the latency spiked and eventually the servers had to be rebooted, after they came back up the latency was never as low as it was when the servers first came up. I always had a small delay in my ability usage after the masses came in and seeing as this was essentially a mini-launch of the game, it was rather expected that you wouldn't get optimal ping.

Ferny

I think having EU's on the NA is fine.. need people to guard towers 24 hours a day. Long as the EU players can deal with lag.
I certainly hope so. The 100 member cap was small and we filled it very quickly.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The premise is that they don't. If everyone can be in the same guild there is no issue.

All I'm saying is that at this point we're going to have to have more than one guild, just like we had for the BWE.

Now if that is the case anyway, you might as well split it up with timezone differences. Of course this doesn't mean everyone has to adhere to this, but as a general concept for a MMO I think people want to play together.

That just seems like playing second fiffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom