• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Plus it's not like there's no PvP, Dungeon and Karma high level sets of armor to get, isn't it. PvP stuff is cosmetic, sure, but it's still there.

Edit: I guess I took a little too long to press the REPLY button.

gunbo13

After the GW1 campaign you had elite PvE or PvP. GW2 has elite dungeons, conquest, and WvW. I'm sure they will also introduce events and small quest addons like GW1 does. I'm going to expect about the same for GW2 until the expansion hits. Then you re-start the cycle until...yea, you get it.

birdchili

Do you consider "looks cooler" and "has better stats" to be included in "better/more interesting?" :p

"looks cooler" is the teal sunvisor. "has better stats" is what they've said there isn't much of at cap (my understanding, anyway).

even tiny bonuses would be neat: more flexibility, stuff that only works with flavor-builds, etc...

neat-looking is great, but i'm more interested in builds and mechanics.

Orayn

After thinking about it for a while, Teknopathetic is kind of right. Guild Wars 2 won't have the same endgame raiding "engine" of WoW, TOR, etc., nor does it share those games' progression models before max level. If that experience is what you want out of GW2, you'll be disappointed.

"looks cooler" is the teal sunvisor. "has better stats" is what they've said there isn't much of at cap (my understanding, anyway).

even tiny bonuses would be neat: more flexibility, stuff that only works with flavor-builds, etc...

Guild Wars 2 does have that, though. Level 80 armor of each class will have several flavors in terms of simple stat boosts, but all of it will come without runes, which provide set bonuses and extra stats that are more specific to your play style. It's just that the runes are divorced from the armor pieces themselves, meaning you're not at the mercy of the drop table if you want to get specific gear.

BrettWeir

Transmutation stones!!! It's where my gem shop money is going to.

Wasn't it just seen recently that there are 3 level 80 only dungeons? Not saying it's necessarily traditional endgame fair, but take into account that they aren't available until 80 and they have the explorable mode and I'd say that's pretty decent for a game that's not even aiming to have a real endgame. Also we will have the huge open world bosses from time to time plus the meta events all for PvE 'endgame'.

I was a little weary at first about the lack of endgame, but I got over it pretty quickly. The raids were fun for a while, but after the 30th time facing the same boss it would get pretty boring. But you couldn't really stop if you wanted to stay up with the progression of the group. Eh I won't miss it, but if you're looking for traditional endgame in GW2 in the way of Raids I don't think it will be the game for you.

gunbo13

I just hope ANET handles farming correctly. I don't mean gold farming, soloing, etc... but small team farming for items to build cosmetically awesome armor. It's pretty damn fun actually to try to continuously optimize and make sick elite PvE runs. It gives a fun incentive to continuously play those end-game dungeons.

salpa

Banned
There will be endgame content.

Between DoA, Urgoz, the Deep, UW, FoW, difficult dungeons like Slaver's Exile and others, ANet are kings of endgame content.

Half the game is desolate, then you go to ToA, for instance, and there are hordes of people playing these. I got into a group the other day of people doing DoA, and I didn't even have to try.

Complistic

If it's not there at launch people will bitch and they'll be sure to include it in their expansion(s). Either way it'll be there eventually.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is all speculation (it's quite clear that speculating is all we have to do around here
KuGsj.gif
), but...

Not sure what the first bold refers to, but re: the second, if it's anything like GW1, there will be quite a bit of that. That is, you'll quickly reach a point where it will be difficult to find anything out-and-out superior (you'll probably find a weapon of your preferred type with max damage before hitting the level cap), but there will be a tons of horizontal variety providing bonuses and conditional benefits such as added damage when your target is hexed, boosts against specific enemy types, energy (or equivalent now, I guess) regen on hit, an armor boost when your health gets low, yadda yadda. And with transmutation stones, the "looks cooler" comes into play because you'll be able to hunt for the weapon you want yours to look like, not cross your fingers you find a cool-looking one with the right stats.

You'll most likely be able to get this loot via "endgame" content that is fun and repeatable as it was in GW1-
I just hope ANET handles farming correctly. I don't mean gold farming, soloing, etc... but small team farming for items to build cosmetically awesome armor. It's pretty damn fun actually to try to continuously optimize and make sick elite PvE runs. It gives a fun incentive to continuously play those end-game dungeons.
-and wind up quite a bit like this.

Vano

We’ll be conducting a stress test on Monday May 14 from 11 AM to 6:00 PM PDT (-7 GMT).

This special test event is open only to Pre-Purchase customers who have registered their accounts. With your help, we can conduct important tests and address some of the issues we identified during our first Beta Weekend Event. During this event, all you need to do is play normally with a new or existing character on your Beta account using the same game client. Please note that since this is a stress test of our servers, you may experience some in-game performance issues. If you’ve pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 and wish to participate in the stress test, we recommend that you register the account and download the game client.

Pre-Purchase customers, log in to the Beta Forums for more information and/or to download the Beta client if needed.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/stress/news/Getting-Started/169235

Having issues logging in? Contact Support: https://support.guildwars2.com/

~RB2

ibdmefVRAuKn3T.gif

!!!

Will make the wait for Diablo III more easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol

this is me crazily considering putting in for a day off on monday. Though I would be able to play for 4 hours-ish after getting home from work...

Jira

We’ll be conducting a stress test on Monday May 14 from 11 AM to 6:00 PM PDT (-7 GMT).

This special test event is open only to Pre-Purchase customers who have registered their accounts. With your help, we can conduct important tests and address some of the issues we identified during our first Beta Weekend Event. During this event, all you need to do is play normally with a new or existing character on your Beta account using the same game client. Please note that since this is a stress test of our servers, you may experience some in-game performance issues. If you’ve pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 and wish to participate in the stress test, we recommend that you register the account and download the game client.

Pre-Purchase customers, log in to the Beta Forums for more information and/or to download the Beta client if needed.

http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10150848164094209

Arol

I hope this Stress Test is for the upcoming May BWE.

Too bad I won't be able to make it at all since they chose Monday and those specific hours.

I hope they give a bigger heads up for the BWE. I know it's most likely the last weekend of May, if they decide to do it at all, but it would be nice to know a bit ahead of time.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
lol

this is me crazily considering putting in for a day off on monday. Though I would be able to play for 4 hours-ish after getting home from work...

jfklasjdflk;asjdf;lkajsf;klajsfkl;ajsflk;ajdf;lkajflasjdfajs; WHAT AM I GONNA DO ON MONDAY FUUUU. Can't just bring my laptop to the lab and play at work. fuuuuuuudge. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO ME AGAIN ARENANET WHY YOU CRUEL MISTRESS

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Silly Jira. :D
jfklasjdflk;asjdf;lkajsf;klajsfkl;ajsflk;ajdf;lkajflasjdfajs; WHAT AM I GONNA DO ON MONDAY FUUUU. Can't just bring my laptop to the lab and play at work. fuuuuuuudge. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO ME AGAIN ARENANET WHY YOU CRUEL MISTRESS
I'm assuming this is very intentional. I.e.: it's a stress test, but of a pretty controlled amount- the servers will be pretty sparse for the first 3 hours, then gradually ramp up as central and east coast players get home and log on. They'll probably be doing on-the-fly rebuilds- if you're going to play all day, expect to get bumped off a lot!

iammeiam

This coincides nicely with the first day of my dogsitting staycation. And they won't even make me start from scratch!

Meicyn

Gold Member
Awesome, another beta test. Even though it's just for one day, I need to get the taste of shit out of my mouth after installing and uninstalling FFXIV again. The difference in quality between the two games is mindblowing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think it's odd at all, really. I bet this is going to be really useful for them.

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Goddamnit, I can't believe I'm really considering taking a day off for this. :p

For Australians, this is 4am Tuesday until 11am. So there goes another beta chance for me. :(
Couldn't cha wake up early?

Kibokun

I really wonder how much useful data they will be able to acquire from a Monday stress-test that runs for 7 hours...when many potential players will be working.

hrm.

Orayn

I really wonder how much useful data they will be able to acquire from a Monday stress-test that runs for 7 hours...when many potential players will be working.

hrm.

The announcement made it sound like they were intending to run a quick test on a fairly specific fix, like game performance, event scaling, or enemy behavior.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

hrm.
Think about it, it will be a staggered ramp up in server load as people get out of work, and probably involve a bunch of boring technical adjustments in real-time.

Jira

You must remember that the time they're choosing also has to take into account European players. Remember that NA isn't the only part of the world.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bah, I probably should just bite the bullet and buy the shit out of D3. I cannot bring myself to purchase TERA. Are there any deals on it anybody knows of?

Uhhh wasn't it April 13th and the beta was the 27th-29th?
Don't remember, but that'd be two weeks!

Uhhh wasn't it April 13th and the beta was the 27th-29th?

Yeah, I think it was two weeks before. I'm keeping my hopes up for the 25th for the next beta. That would actually be earlier than I thought for the next beta so I'd be happy, but also not disappointed if it happened later.

Bah, I probably should just bite the bullet and buy the shit out of D3. I cannot bring myself to purchase TERA. Are there any deals on it anybody knows of?

Don't remember, but that'd be two weeks!

Go for D3. Stick to the no subscription model, plus a few people in this thread plan on playing D3 as well. We can get some Gaming Age Force going in Diablo.

adoboy12

Neo Member

I got excited until I took another look at the time frame. It'll only leave me about an hour of playtime after work at the most! Missed the BWE and some friends talked me into getting this game. Might as well make the pre-purchase now and jump on the next BWE.

Sephirus

Saw the announcement, immediately opened the Client just to hear that sweet music again ;_;.

If anything this will make the wait for D3 a little easier on Monday.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I can only play if I leave my job early on Monday, but I don't think I can... and even then I'd only get like 1, 2h tops in... DAMN YOU ARENANET.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I think it was two weeks before. I'm keeping my hopes up for the 25th for the next beta. That would actually be earlier than I thought for the next beta so I'd be happy, but also not disappointed if it happened later.

Go for D3. Stick to the no subscription model, plus a few people in this thread plan on playing D3 as well. We can get some Gaming Age Force going in Diablo.
Alright, I'm gonna have to do it. Putting in for a half-day monday too
KuGsj.gif

Any way to get D3 cheaper than teh retail?

inky

Any way to get D3 cheaper than teh retail?

A Blizzard game at a discount? Surely you jest :p

IDK, maybe in the OT you'll find some sale or something. I'll probably buy it too... I'm in that limbo in which I say to myself, well why not? it's not like I won't enjoy the game, but on the other hand I remind myself of all the stuff I don't like about it: laggy SP game + no pause, RMAH, shitty designs and cartoony graphics, etc. and I stop myself from pulling the trigger. I had the store open all day long but I haven't done it yet. We'll see.

Sephirus

Hopefully this means they aren't doing character wipes after each BWE.

Arol

Hopefully this means they aren't doing character wipes after each BWE.

It seems like it.

I was hoping they wouldn't and they might be doing it so more people are able to do the first dungeon at least.

Only got to do it in Story Mode once myself, while dabbling in Explorable a bit with another GAF member but this was towards the end of the beta so I didn't get the chance to really go at it; I might get that chance in the upcoming BWE.

Will be much better if we can get 5 GAF members on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom