• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The fundamental design problems I'm talking about has to do with whether the game is fun to play.

Fresh or not, if the game isn't fun then it's a problem.

I really do want GW2 to do well and be something I can play for years but from what I've seen so far it's not going to have that kind of longevity for me.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Uh...

- No Asura or Sylvari, effectively 40% of the race-based PvE content
- No direct experience with anything over level 30
- Significant optimization problems
- Mesmer still needs to an identity
- No word of what happens when people hit 80 beyond WvWvW and PvP
- No LFG finder (as TOR has shown, this is a pretty big thing)
- Were it up to me, combat would get a significant overhaul because right now it's definitely more boring than TERA and possibly even more boring than WoW depending on what you want out of MMO combat.

I mean, even leaving out all the balance work and such GW2 is nowhere near "ready to launch".

Well, you can't really list the first two, since you have no idea how far along they are. Unless, of course, you are assuming that Anet showed people everything during that testing weekend?

The rest are pretty weak...

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
The fundamental design problems I'm talking about has to do with whether the game is fun to play.

I really do want GW2 to do well and be something I can play for years but from what I've seen so far it's not going to have that kind of longevity for me.

Not fun to you

That does not mean Guild Wars 2 has fundamental design problems.
You are mixing up your subjective opinion of the gameplay with an objective look at the quality of the beta.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not fun to you

That does not mean Guild Wars 2 has fundamental design problems.
You are mixing up your subjective opinion of the gameplay with an objective look at the quality of the beta.
There is no such thing as objective opinions about whether or not a game is fun. Whenever you make a judgement about a game, nearly any kind of judgement, it's always subjective. The most objective thing you can say is "the models in game A have a higher polygon count than the models in game B".

I would think that it's obvious everything I say is solely my opinion. Unless you expect me to add "to me" or "imo" to every sentence?

Jira

Well if the game isn't fun to you then don't play it. Not everyone is going to like it and that's to be expected with any game, the difference here is the people who don't like it are in a very small minority where as the majority of people are overwhelmingly positive across the board in their experience with the game since it was first playable in Aug 2010.

Jira

There is no such thing as objective opinions about whether or not gameplay is fun. Whenever you make a judgement about a game, nearly any kind of judgement, it's always subjective. The most objective thing you can say is "the models in game A have a higher polygon count than the models in game B".

I would think that it's obvious everything I say is solely my opinion.

Right this minute? No, there's bugs to be fixed, balancing to be done, optimization, etc. The one feature that isn't up to snuff to where it is supposed to be is the PvP server browser, it wasn't the full and more or less finished version of what we're going to have. Otherwise all the features are in and nearly all working as intended, few bugs here and there that are affecting stuff like the Overflow system and pet AI, but those have already been addressed by the devs and being worked on. Most issues right now are simple numerical balancing for skills, spawn rates, xp, economy, mob difficulties, etc. All of the systems are sound and working, it's just bugs here and there and balancing that need to be sorted out. Then you have the ongoing optimization, but that's to be expected.

In regards to the Asura and Sylvari, Game Informer got to play the Sylvari starting zone and talked about it in their May issue I think and PC Gamer got to play the Asura starting zone. If those weren't done yet I really don't think ANet would have let them play. Also, the ESRB rated the game already meaning it is content complete, it doesn't mean finished in the sense that there's still bugs and balances to be done, but the content in the game is all in place and has been reviewed. This means that it's all in place, just not up to the polish standard ANet wants. They have said they aren't really intending to let us play the Asura or Sylvari in the beta as they want to keep that for launch. They're not hiding it away because it's not done, they haven't done that with a single feature in the game and I don't think they'd do it with 2 races when they're only a few months from launch.

Mulligan

Banned
I'm not assuming it isn't ready. I'm saying because we don't know if Asura/Sylvari are ready, we can't assume they are. And if we don't know that much, then we can't say GW2 is ready.

Not hard :\

Yep. One of the art devs said on an artist forum a while ago that the game is feature complete as far as he's concerned, so at most sylvari and asura areas just need further bug testing. The media were allowed to play both areas not that long ago and in none of the previews did they say they unfinished or buggy. Arenanet just don't want to spoil too much content. Ofc, there's a chance they arnt finished but that chance is pretty small.

Stuart444

The media were allowed to play both areas not that long ago and in none of the previews did they say they unfinished or buggy.

Well Josh from PCGamer said on GW2G that the Asura zone was still a bit buggy when he played it but even that build is quite old in game development terms now so it's probably been quite improved and I look forward to trying it and the Sylvari in the full release :)

Torraz

I know I will get my 40 bucks worth of fun here. I have spent more and way worse games. And thanks to TERA I will have satisfied the need to, for once, play a mellee char. This means the, in my opinion, unfun close combat I saw in the BWE in GW 2 will not affect me as I'll be playing a caster where I really liked the combat.

Also I hope that a succesful GW 2 will make standard features in other MMOs out of:
a) dynamic events
b) no kill-stealing/tagging --> everyone who participates gets to loot
c) a somewhat dynamic combat system (even though mellee implementation could be better imo).

JonCha

PC will start to be ordered this week *touch wood*, and built next week. Hopefully we'll have a BWE next week or the week after.

Though ArenaNet will probably say "Hey a beta weekend's coming THIS WEEKEND!"

BrettWeir

Looks like a "work from home" day on Monday.

Kinda baffled as to why they would run a stress test at those hours. Why not a Saturday? Would definitely draw more traffic.

Oh'z well'z.

Stuart444

Looks like a "work from home" day on Monday.

Kinda baffled as to why they would run a stress test at those hours. Why not a Saturday? Would definitely draw more traffic.

Oh'z well'z.

Probably because they wish to do this test during their own working hours rather than do more overtime like they do/will do EVERY beta weekend event.

They have specifics to test in regards to the servers (that is obvious) so I think the traffic they will get in this time from people will be enough to test whatever they plan to.

Uh...

- No word of what happens when people hit 80 beyond WvWvW and PvP
- Were it up to me, combat would get a significant overhaul because right now it's definitely more boring than TERA and possibly even more boring than WoW depending on what you want out of MMO combat.

I mean, even leaving out all the balance work and such GW2 is nowhere near "ready to launch".

Bored so I addressed each one.

-This has been explained a few ways by the devs, not throwing everything out at once, not wanting to spoil something that's pretty early in one of their areas.
-I'm unfamiliar with betas for MMO's, is this really that rare? I can't see why they would want to make everything in the game available right away?
-This is true no real argument there, that's the priority of ANet at the moment.
-I disagree, from what I have seen it seems to have a pretting distinct identity in confusion/condition stacking. I ran into a lot of good mesmers in sPvP. I didn't play WvW so I will take your word on them not working in that very well but that could be a balancing issue.
-ANet has been pretty wordy when it comes to endgame, I don't know what you're saying here. There is no traditional end game, they have said that a lot. There will be explorable versions of dungeons, world bosses, meta events, and anything in the game that you find fun. They have said many times if you don't like the game from 1-80 you aren't going to suddenly like the game at 80.
-Could be added later but as of now I don't see it being too needed. This could change of course.
-This I don't understand. I found Tera's combat boring as hell, even more boring then wow's, but I loved GW2 combat. They definitely won't be suddenly changing the combat, so not finding it fun when you will be spending a majority of your time doing it kind of seems like a deal breaker, or at least it would be to me. /shrug

Not saying your opinions are wrong, but you may just be expecting something different than GW2 is aiming for, especcially when it comes to combat and end game.

squall23

It really is. Without a shadow of doubt, an amazing game. A game that needs turquing, tweaking, binching, slicing, darlings killed, optimization and much more. But the philosophy here? It's gun be guuud. reeeiiil guuuuuddddddddd.
That is honestly one of the worst pieces of logic I have ever read. I can create the greatest concept and details for a video game ever bar none and it wouldn't matter if the final product is full of bugs and extreme amounts of other inadequacies. It would still be quote unquote "reeeiiil baaaaaaaddddddddd".

Beepos

So angry this will be during the launch date of Diablo 3 for Australians. I'm so keen to play more, yet on the other hand D3 is ready to go as a full release. Decisions decisions I wish I didn't have to make. Damn Anet.

That is honestly one of the worst pieces of logic I have ever read. I can create the greatest concept and details for a video game ever bar none and it wouldn't matter if the final product is full of bugs and extreme amounts of other inadequacies. It would still be quote unquote "reeeiiil baaaaaaaddddddddd".

Skyrim? :lol

I think when most of us are saying the base game is real good it's with the expectation that the bugs will be ironed out for release. After the first day of the BWE my experience was great, but if the retail acted at all like it did on friday I know I wouldn't be playing it......at least 'til it's fixed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Oh, so execution matters? What a novel concept.

This thread is deteriorating fast. Need another BWE.

J-Rzez

Hmm off Mon/Tues. Live in an EST TZ. Gonna stress test this stress test. Gonna stress test the shit outta this bitch.

Instead of stealing from people for my next drug fix, i'll be asking my gf's mom to make my girl come over for extra mother's day time. Does that make me a junkie? A bad person???

I really find it annoying when people think a game has design flaws just because it is not fun for them to play it.

If you don't find the game fun then don't play it. Don't waste your money.

Mulligan

Banned
So, what's everyones plans for the stress test? bearing in mind we only have 7 hours. I plan on just playing sPvP, testing some builds i've been looking at for my ele and perhaps a little WvW. Doubt i'll do any PvE this time, save it for next BWE.

So, what's everyones plans for the stress test? bearing in my we only have 7 hours. I plan on just playing sPvP, testing some builds i've been looking at for my ele and perhaps a little WvW. Doubt i'll do any PvE this time, save it for next BWE.

I'm thinking WvW the entire time.

So, what's everyones plans for the stress test? bearing in mind we only have 7 hours. I plan on just playing sPvP, testing some builds i've been looking at for my ele and perhaps a little WvW. Doubt i'll do any PvE this time, save it for next BWE.

I haven't made up my mind yet but first I thought PvP and WvW but I feel like I won't get enough time to even get a handle on it because I rarely play PvP. I might just get frustrated, and just end up in the PvE.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member

I really want to try and push a character beyond the starting area and experience the dynamic content there. Maybe roll a class I have not seen yet if time permits.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
WvWvW: Illusions (except Distortion) require pathing. This basically means that when sieging or defending a keep, Illusions are completely useless. This is not even considering all the AoE going on everywhere. What's the point of shattering if your illusions die before reaching the target?

Was it just me or did Illusions mostly detonate a few feet away from their mark? I felt I would detonate them and the target would almost always be out of the blast. Not just in PVP, but also in PVE. After a few hours I decided I hated clones and hated GW2 Mesmers.

Vano

I will be doing some PvP and WvWvW and maybe one hour or two to test another profession.

From those that played the beta, is the game launch worthy as it stands? and if not, how many months till you think they have an excellent product to launch?

Nope, They need to optimize the performance first and fix some bugs. July/August.

Uh...

1- No word of what happens when people hit 80 beyond WvWvW and PvP
2- Were it up to me, combat would get a significant overhaul because right now it's definitely more boring than TERA and possibly even more boring than WoW depending on what you want out of MMO combat.

1. You are leaving out doing Explorable Mode in dungeons and also if you like you can visit and do some of the events that spawn big bosses. Cool stuff about GW2 is that the low level content doesn't go obsolete when you reach Lv80.

2. Different opinions and all, in my opinion obviously isn't so actiony as TERA combat but its much better than WoW combat for miles, they fix the performance issues and its fine for me the combat.

/Bro-fist

My plans as well. If the game runs bad like it did at start at least you wont die to random unseen mobs. Other players will be on equal footing and i dont want to.spoil much mkre SP.

Kind of feel the same way, plus I'd like to invest a solid amount of time and I figure if I can jump in right away I can get a better grasp on it. Hopefully get going with the gaf guild in WvW.

falastini

So, does anyone know if you can still prepurchase to get into the stress test Monday?

I tried a few times to buy it before the last test, but the website was bugged. Then I opted to wait, since I had finals after that weekend.

That is not nearly enough to sustain typical PvE MMO players.

And exactly like GW1, you can lay the game down and play something else until something new comes along.

I dont think they want to try to keep people occupied at all costs. I think they want to give 60 dollars worth of value, and some fun repeatable end game activities(already mentioned) and then let people wean off the game and play something else, and then come back once they got something new.

ShaneB

I've been consumed by Diablo the past little while. I feel bad saying it, but if GW2 is delayed to be a better game, that's ok :(... sorry in saying that to those who want it released now. LOL

Good to hear there will be another event on Monday, that will make waiting for Diablo easier! :D

I've been consumed by Diablo the past little while. I feel bad saying it, but if GW2 is delayed to be a better game, that's ok :(... sorry in saying that to those who want it released now. LOL

Good to hear there will be another event on Monday, that will make waiting for Diablo easier! :D

That was my exact reasoning for saying I would be okay with September or later. Diablo with a BWE here and there to take a break with.

Vano

And exactly like GW1, you can lay the game down and play something else until something new comes along.

I dont think they want to try to keep people occupied at all costs. I think they want to give 60 dollars worth of value, and some fun repeatable end game activities(already mentioned) and then let people wean off the game and play something else, and then come back once they got something new.

Yeah, that is something they say every time someone ask about why they don't charge a subscription, i love the idea, as i'm getting old and don't have the same free time to dedicate to games.

Trey

I was listing reasons to doubt its readiness when Neckbeard said:

My own reasons for saying it's not ready concern other deeper issues than just two races. I'm talking fundamental design problems.

Because you're approaching GW2 like a fundamental MMO.

Also, I think GW2's combat system is superior.

Also^2, I'm getting annoyed by the term "endgame" being thrown around, especially when nobody defines what it is.

Stuart444

Because you're approaching GW2 like a fundamental MMO.

Also, I think GW2's combat system is superior.

Also, I'm getting annoyed by the term "endgame" being thrown around, especially when nobody defines what it is.

Well endgame really just means whatever you do after you finish getting to the max level cap/finish the story.

but to the typical MMO person, it means "What raids does this game have?"

It's one of those things *shrugs*

Trey

Well endgame really just means whatever you do after you finish getting to the max level cap/finish the story.

but to the typical MMO person, it means "What raids does this game have?"

It's one of those things *shrugs*

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I'm going to have to disagree that it's a shallow endgame considering most of the content in the game serves a dual purpose and can be geared to any level. I won't fault anyone who believes there must be dedicated high-level content, though.

Endgame is not just what you do at max level, but it's about progression. Players generally play "endgame" content for the continued progression in difficulty and getting better and better loot. New content has to constantly be added that moves the progression forward with newer challeneges harder than the last and newer gear/loot.

It's just something for people to do when they have experienced everything in the game and to keep them playing. Once people got the best gear and done everything, many just will quit.

Endgame also can be considered by many as pvp systems. But some people always believe it's two different things or like only one over the other.

If they don't consistently add newer progressing content, then players will claim GW2 has no endgame. PVP in GW2 will be the biggest endgame draw, more like EVE online where PVP player interaction between guild is the big draw that keeps people coming back.

The concept of GW2 is nice, but you are always going to have people who won't like it and prefer the structured end game, and if they have no carrot on stick to constantly get better gear and such, they will basically be done with the game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Also^2, I'm getting annoyed by the term "endgame" being thrown around, especially when nobody defines what it is.
Most MMOs are structured in such a way that it is one giant carrot on a stick - leveling up/grinding with the idea of there being some goal all their work is for.

"Endgame" is the goal, it is the scrumptious taste of carrot. The idea of it is a bit of a joke as it alludes to the notion that leveling up is work and "endgame" is when the fun starts to happen.

The problem with GW2, it would seem, is that due to level scaling, the nature of the game changes. "The fun begins now" is mixed in with leveling from 1 to 80. This will probably confuse people.

I'm thinking WvW will be the place to be monday. I can see a lot of people wanting to do something specific on a short amount of time and WvW can take up all that time pretty nicely.

I didn't play much last time was there some kind of large party or guild party for WvW? I know there was something like this but what extent did it go? Party chat? Map waypoints of people's locations?

Endgame is not just what you do at max level, but it's about progression. Players generally play "endgame" content for the continued progression in difficulty and getting better and better loot. New content has to constantly be added that moves the progression forward with newer challeneges harder than the last and newer gear/loot

That's the traditional view on endgame because of how it's been molded, and this isn't really what GW2 is going for. They have said that they don't want it to be a constant progression of stats. There will still be difficulty in explorable dungeon and large scale events and bosses. But they don't want it to be a grind, they want people to do what they want to do and be able to enjoy it. That's why they have said many times if you don't like the game from 1-80 you aren't going to suddenly like it when you hit 80.

I really wish they just got rid of levels. Then the whole game would actually be seen as "endgame".

That's the traditional view on endgame because of how it's been molded, and this isn't really what GW2 is going for. They have said that they don't want it to be a constant progression of stats. There will still be difficulty in explorable dungeon and large scale events and bosses. But they don't want it to be a grind, they want people to do what they want to do and be able to enjoy it. That's why they have said many times if you don't like the game from 1-80 you aren't going to suddenly like it when you hit 80.

I really wish they just got rid of levels. Then the whole game would actually be seen as "endgame".

I know, and that's why I'm saying that GW2 really has none. It's not about changing the definition of endgame, it's that GW2 has no real endgame. The point of endgame design really is just about keeping players coming back and keeping them paying money to play. GW2 does not have to worry about keeping subs and such, they don't have to have an endgame. You play the content how you want, your not being held hostage by progression addiction that keeps you handing over money.

Also GW2 is not unique in this, MMO's before WoW did not have endgame, it was about community and experiencing as much as you can in the games. EVE has no levels and no endgame for example, players do whatever they want and create their own end goals. GW2 if anything is going back to the roots of MMO concepts instead of the structured games that became popular.

Others MMOs have gone without levels just fine.

Proven

Endgame is not just what you do at max level, but it's about progression. Players generally play "endgame" content for the continued progression in difficulty and getting better and better loot. New content has to constantly be added that moves the progression forward with newer challeneges harder than the last and newer gear/loot.

It's just something for people to do when they have experienced everything in the game and to keep them playing. Once people got the best gear and done everything, many just will quit.

Endgame also can be considered by many as pvp systems. But some people always believe it's two different things or like only one over the other.

If they don't consistently add newer progressing content, then players will claim GW2 has no endgame. PVP in GW2 will be the biggest endgame draw, more like EVE online where PVP player interaction between guild is the big draw that keeps people coming back.

The concept of GW2 is nice, but you are always going to have people who won't like it and prefer the structured end game, and if they have no carrot on stick to constantly get better gear and such, they will basically be done with the game.

Pretty much this. There are some people who will never be happy, even with PvP and WvW to use as an "endgame" replacement. Guild Wars 1 would have had the same problem, to them.

As for Mesmer in WvW, playing one is like using a number of other classes, like Thief. Your range is cut, and you can't play around like you would in a duel or skirmish. I mean, right now every class has some degree of problem in WvW, often related to range or "melee trap" issues. Mesmer has the option of scepter for stacking confusion, which we've even been told might get an adjustment because it's too powerful vs. people when compared to its power vs. AI creatures. There's the rod, which does the random boon and condition thing, and being able to apply might, fury, and armor over and over again to your allies while hurting your enemies makes for a nice AoE replacement. Finally there's the greatsword, which plain just does more damage at range.

And clones aren't useless. Using them for shatters won't help, sure, but you can use them to constantly spam any of the Mesmer's three main long range options. Just summoning extra clones and keeping them in this sense allows you to stack more boons/conditions that will quickly add up for your allies' performance. Their damage is nerfed compared to you for balance reasons, fine, but the boon/condition duration/damage is based on your own stats. Then for the greatsword you just trait yourself for power and crits and those purple beams (which are not projectiles, so they're harder to block/reflect) will start to add up.

I know, and that's why I'm saying that GW2 really has none. It's not about changing the definition of endgame, it's that GW2 has no real endgame. The point of endgame design really is just about keeping players coming back and keeping them paying money to play. GW2 does not have to worry about keeping subs and such, they don't have to have an endgame. You play the content how you want, your not being held hostage by progression addiction that keeps you handing over money.

Also GW2 is not unique in this, MMO's before WoW did not have endgame, it was about community and experiencing as much as you can in the games. EVE has no levels and no endgame for example, players do whatever they want and create their own end goals. GW2 if anything is going back to the roots of MMO concepts instead of the structured games that became popular.

I think I replied before you edited? :lol not sure. I agree with you completely. It's sad they abandoned the idea of no levels. I think it would have been cool if they came up with something else to drive people to explore the content, other than the content itself obviously. But I guess most people would just be lost without levels.

ShaneB

I'm thinking WvW will be the place to be monday. I can see a lot of people wanting to do something specific on a short amount of time and WvW can take up all that time pretty nicely.

I didn't play much last time was there some kind of large party or guild party for WvW? I know there was something like this but what extent did it go? Party chat? Map waypoints of people's locations?

There were a bunch of us that were running WvWvW. I say bunch, but it was no more than 5 or 6 of us I guess. I have no idea how the Squad mechanics work, so it would be neat to find out how those all work for larger groups.

etiolate

Banned
From those that played the beta, is the game launch worthy as it stands? and if not, how many months till you think they have an excellent product to launch?

2-3 months

Things that need tweaking include scaling balance and further class balance for PvP. Overflow server system needs a way to stay with group. We haven't seen guesting system yet, so I expect that within the next beta or two.

Select press has played both the Asura starting area and the Sylvari area, along with the Sylvari dungeon. It just hasn't been seen by the general press or in a beta yet. Why they are being held back is probably a combination of further tweaking and to reduce the amount of starter areas during beta to keep the areas populated. Once the beta is prepurchases + promotional invites then you'll see a popular large enough to open up the five races.

Class issues include an overhaul of the Mesmer class mechanic since it's not working at an acceptable manner right now. There are pathing issues and just basic class mechanic issues. The clones are said to actually detarget the mesmer as part of their deception mechanic, but that is not working in PVP or PVE. Mobs do not target clones and clone creation does not de-target the player in pvp. If they are changing their mind on this mechanic then the clones just become minion bombs. They aren't working that way either since they do not work on objects (large part of WvWvW) and they detarget themselves once their target goes beyond their shatter range. They also die in random AOE along the way. It's jut a totally unreliable mechanic right now and the devs have admitted they don't know what to do with Cry of Frustration and Confusion both.

Other classes have issues with AI and pet balancing. A lot of ranger pets die too often and easily at this point.

We haven't seen higher level stuff, but most of the higher level stuff probably uses the same basic systems as the lower level stuff, just to a heightened degree. That will probably be focus tested in the last month before release.

The gamestop retail release date is put down as June 26th. I don't expact that to be the actual date, but it's probably based on something. So with the things to be worked on + rough retail guesstimates, I am going with 2-3 months.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Which ones? For me, only Mortal Online comes to mind, but I might have forgotten some, and MO is surely not "fine", even if I kinda like it.

Do tell, I'm searching for those kind of things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom