• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter [Kickstarter = Funded] Wii-U Stretch at 550K, Ends Oct 12

Grzi

That gameplay video is absolutely stunning, my expectations are so high right now, holy shit, this game is tailor made for me.

They just released a youtube video showing off the combat. Looks so fucking good.

Link.

Is the sword causing the new animations or is the sword animations improved overall.

First trailer had Zelda like sword animations so I was curious.

The more animation you guys want to put in is fine by me. I'm not complaining.

Keep up the great work!

hitsugi

Is the sword causing the new animations or is the sword animations improved overall.

First trailer had Zelda like sword animations so I was curious.

The more animation you guys want to put in is fine by me. I'm not complaining.

Keep up the great work!

Looks like the attack animations are all new

Looks like the attack animations are all new

They are definitely new.

It's probably safe to assume its the "new" standard animation for using the sword but I just wanted to get a confirmation.

They sold me on the game with the first trailer.
After seeing this new vid, It's quickly moving up the priority list.

Feep

Banned
Got to play this tonight at a party in downtown Los Angeles.

Combat is TIGHT; Bastion combined with Ninja Gaiden. Pretty intense difficulty, too...I managed to beat it on my second try, but apparently only somewhere around 20% are finishing the demo.

And, of course, aesthetically amazing.

*thumbs up*

CRS

Got to play this tonight at a party in download Los Angeles.

Combat is TIGHT; Bastion combined with Ninja Gaiden. Pretty intense difficulty, too...I managed to beat it on my second try, but apparently only somewhere around 20% are finishing the demo.

*thumbs up*

OfYGY.gif

I can't waitttttttttttt. So jealous.

Jiraiza

*thumbs up*

The game's hard? Damn, a year is so far away...

Seanspeed

Banned

*thumbs up*
All the right things.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm curious how stretch goals work in games like this.
I see developers seem to pick some kind of arbitrary figure and then just claim "hit this and we'll do Y!!!" I'm not.. calling these devs liars, but I'm curious what % of these kickstarter devs have actually priced this shit up properly and accordingly?

Example the Wii U stretch goal, how much is a Wii U dev kit, how long to port the game? Does it cost much to get a Wii U game published? Will Nintendo even publish a game which may not sell a huge quantity?
Apply these questions to EVERY platform these devs write for and it just makes me curious if these people have ACTUALLY priced up and spec'd up everything accordingly. Considering how many kickstarters I've seen of late with incredibly ambitious stretch goals....... I'm not so sure.

Maxrunner

I'm curious how stretch goals work in games like this.
I see developers seem to pick some kind of arbitrary figure and then just claim "hit this and we'll do Y!!!" I'm not.. calling these devs liars, but I'm curious what % of these kickstarter devs have actually priced this shit up properly and accordingly?

Example the Wii U stretch goal, how much is a Wii U dev kit, how long to port the game? Does it cost much to get a Wii U game published? Will Nintendo even publish a game which may not sell a huge quantity?
Apply these questions to EVERY platform these devs write for and it just makes me curious if these people have ACTUALLY priced up and spec'd up everything accordingly. Considering how many kickstarters I've seen of late with incredibly ambitious stretch goals....... I'm not so sure.

How the hell does it cost more to develop for wiiu compared to ps4+ps vita?

wizzbang

Banned
How the hell does it cost more to develop for wiiu compared to ps4+ps vita?

Who says it does?? This is a hypothetical question, not a factual question.

If a stretch goal of a game is I dunno, PS3, PS4, Linux, Mac, PC and I dunno 15 levels for 500k$ and then for 20 levels it's 600k$ then arguably they are saying that it's literally 100k$ per 5 levels (20k$ a level) - that's very simple math right?

Now,...
If someone says a game with fuck I dunno 9 platforms is 2 million dollars - and the 10'th platform is 2.2 million dollars, if we are to take the developer at face value here, that implies it's literally 200,000$ to add that 10'th platform.
They still need to provide the original 9, they don't go away, it doesn't make them magically cheaper adding the 10'th platform, work is work, porting is porting.
Sure the first copy of assets is the most expensive but there's work to be done.

My question, perhaps poorly worded was - just how much is it to port to other platforms? I'm playing devils advocate here, how do these devs just randomly come up with 500k games seemingly going to many, many platforms,...... that seems.... a little implausiable to me.

Feep

Banned
More details (apologies if some of these are old, I didn't follow the campaign super closely):

There will be no dialogue, voice acting, or text anywhere in the game. If there's a story at all, it'll be told with atmosphere and action, nothing else.

There is no UI to speak of. There are two quantitative values, purple (battery?) and blue (energy?). The purple is your life, and isn't directly displayed; the game screen dims to tunnel vision as your health gets low. Your blue is displayed more traditionally in a vertical meter next to a little fairy-like thing that follows you around. Neither auto-regens. Enemies drop pellets that restore both, and some can be found around the environment.

The blue stuff powers your auxiliary weapons (triangle button), of which you have have two at any given time and swap between them with LB/RB. I found a pistol, a machine gun, and grenades in my two playthroughs. Extremely effective, though they drain the meter quite fast.

X was slash, O was dash, Square was a crimson flash shield (similar to SSB Fox's Reflector), and combined with a directional input seemed to be able to repel projectiles or force push enemies. (Not entirely clear on its mechanics).

Pretty simple demo, carve these guys up, doors open. Rushing in and trying to dice things up was quite difficult...kiting (with a projectile on triangle) and careful movement seemed to be more effective, even though dashing and slashing is so kinetically pleasing. The dev who worked on the indie title Samurai Gunn is helping out with the animations and combat.

Y'all know the aesthetics. As beautiful as ever.

Want more.

Not sure I'm feeling this, to be honest.

I asked alex during their twitch stream about this, at that time he acted like their wouldnt be direct dialogue but still a narrative with hidden story in the form of books you find in the world. e also mentioned this in his interview with big sushi fm

Clott

Not sure I'm feeling this, to be honest.

Same here, the video looks phenomenal, but if there won't be any story indications at all, that may by just a work around for a very thin plot.

Of course games like super Mario also have very thin plots and it does not detract from them at all, but this game plays so much on atmosphere that its frustrating not to be given any lore.

hitsugi

I asked alex during their twitch stream about this, at that time he acted like their wouldnt be direct dialogue but still a narrative with hidden story in the form of books you find in the world. e also mentioned this in his interview with big sushi fm

I uh, don't really like this... how do you have a bazaar with no dialogue? Why mute such a beautiful world?

In a time when games almost universally have overbearing narrative presentation I am more than alright with no dialogue. My main concern is whether there are substantive puzzle and exploration elements to help vary the flow, because a pure hack and slash could get dull quickly even with the most beautiful art direction in the world.

JDSN

Banned
Cool personal piece about the game maker, plus some views on his KS campaign:

“I have a heart condition,” he told me matter-of-factly, among the otherwise mundane chatter of a crowded hotel lobby, when I asked him why he’d recently been hospitalized. “I was born with it. I was also recently diagnosed with a genetic mutation that causes a lot of other issues. I just have things that happen all the time. I’ll always be in and out of hospitals.”

Yami

Interesting piece from Red Bull with Alex Preston, plus insight into his loves and inspirations.

Maybe expect more from the same kind of beautiful world in the future:
"I want this to be a huge universe with lots of related games and lore and side stories, so at the very least we'll likely stick to exploring this vast world."

Awesome dude still wants to make his SNES de-make too.
"Of course, it would be a hefty task and there would be significant differences - fewer enemies, effects and animation frames due to memory limitations - though I think we could adjust and make something incredibly special with 'Super Hyper Light Drifter' regardless. It's a dream goal to put it up on my favorite console of all, and I hope to accomplish that dream sooner than later. Maybe once we release the game we will have the opportunity to accomplish this."

If that's super pre-alpha, I can't imagine how good the final production will look

And yeah Samurai Gunn's combat is just insanely satisfying and that makes me even more hyped for this

Momentary

Banned
This, so much. I can't believe this is pre-alpha footage.

The gameplay already looks solid. You can tell at certain parts that they just threw in rooms to give people previewing a taste of things to come.

This thing is going to sale like hotcakes. I can see this game becoming a franchise full of lore.

Just read a preview in EDGE and I'm really hyped. I love the art and with Vreeland on board this is gonna be a real gem. The older I get, the more love I have for the 8/16-bit era. If we could only turn back time :/ sniff.

More details (apologies if some of these are old, I didn't follow the campaign super closely):

There will be no dialogue, voice acting, or text anywhere in the game. If there's a story at all, it'll be told with atmosphere and action, nothing else.

There is no UI to speak of. There are two quantitative values, purple (battery?) and blue (energy?). The purple is your life, and isn't directly displayed; the game screen dims to tunnel vision as your health gets low. Your blue is displayed more traditionally in a vertical meter next to a little fairy-like thing that follows you around. Neither auto-regens. Enemies drop pellets that restore both, and some can be found around the environment.

The blue stuff powers your auxiliary weapons (triangle button), of which you have have two at any given time and swap between them with LB/RB. I found a pistol, a machine gun, and grenades in my two playthroughs. Extremely effective, though they drain the meter quite fast.

X was slash, O was dash, Square was a crimson flash shield (similar to SSB Fox's Reflector), and combined with a directional input seemed to be able to repel projectiles or force push enemies. (Not entirely clear on its mechanics).

Pretty simple demo, carve these guys up, doors open. Rushing in and trying to dice things up was quite difficult...kiting (with a projectile on triangle) and careful movement seemed to be more effective, even though dashing and slashing is so kinetically pleasing. The dev who worked on the indie title Samurai Gunn is helping out with the animations and combat.

Y'all know the aesthetics. As beautiful as ever.

Want more.
I know I'm late but I don't care. These are things I wish for with nearly every game I see, and they both exist right here. This game is going to be bought, no matter the price.

Top Bottom