• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter [Kickstarter = Funded] Wii-U Stretch at 550K, Ends Oct 12

hitsugi

That date has never changed to accurately reflect their updates.

They stated the Kickstarter beta is supposed to begin in June, but the expected release is still in December I believe. I still haven't heard about the beta, so..

hitsugi

Beta delayed until September:

Early in the year we announced plans for the limited beta to hit during the mid-summer, targeting June. Since taking the game to both PAX East and E3, we've gathered critical feedback, which has motivated us to refine or rework certain systems and designs before putting it out to a larger audience. We want to put our best foot forward (for you to break to pieces), so we're going to hold the limited beta in the month of September.

Here's a breakdown of what kind of fancy madness you'll be getting into with this pre-release bit of the game: the beta will include a cross section of the Challenge Mode, with increasingly difficult ways to power through select maps, racking up points while doing so. We're presenting a variety of weapons to play with (rail gun, diamond shot, roly poly, an exploding jar of flames among others), and increasingly murderous enemy waves to scream at - with some larger jerks tossed in to really break your soul.

Kind of saw this coming after E3 and, well, June being over without a word of it.

Beta coming September 26.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter/posts/989107

Drifters! It's been a whole year (!!) since we launched our campaign (wow, time bleeds quick these days), and it seems apt to celebrate with this playable Preview build! If you supported us at the $25 tier or above, get ready for the avalanche of meaty murder before you.

Preview (once called a Beta) Build

Beta isn't exactly the right term; some game features are locked, some have been hidden, others are being refined, and content is always being generated for the world. So, to help communicate a bit better we're calling it a Preview Build.

The important thing is that you get an early playable slice of the game starting on the 26th of September at 12:01 am (EST)! It will run until Midnight (PST) of the 28th. Beware vicious things living in the depths.

You'll receive a Steam Key in your email (the one used for your KS account) before the 26th.

Platforms

While we have said previously that this build would be for Windows only, we've decided to push extra hard and try our best to get it on Mac as well. However, since it's early days on OSX for us we can't make a firm promise.

hitsugi

Should note that there is some conflicting information going on with the preview:

On Kickstarter, they confirmed the beta would only work from the 26th - 28th

However, on Facebook, they said those dates were only the period of time in which users could submit feedback, etc. regarding the preview, and that once you install the game, it's there indefinitely for you.

I certainly hope that's the case.

Edit - Wow. Latest update clarifies that it will indeed be dead after the weekend. I... can't believe that.

CRS

They actually extended the availability of the preview build. It is now from October 3rd to October 30th. It will be ready to download at 9 PM PST on Thursday, October 2nd.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Damn, i was expecting it to be more linear since its a preview build. But theres all sorts of different paths. I hope i can backtrack.

CRS

Yeah, so collecting all 16 red power ups is needed for a blocked wall. You can go through the entire world again once you beat it to backtrack and collect the missing ones.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
SO GOOD.

Collecting question time! SPOILERS FOR COMPLETION OBVIOUSLY:
I'm missing four of the things needed to open the red door. I know one of them is in a secret wall I saw, but I've gone through it 3 times and can't find any indications of hidden platforms or dashing spots for the other three.

I got the invisible shining platforms one, the hidden walkway behind the crushers, and some other tricky ones.

There's only so many times I can loop around and do the arena fight, game! ;_;

jaosobno

Wow, this demo looks amazing. Game has some great character animations.

So glad I backed this, waiting for a PS4 version!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Oh joy. Pausing isn't working anymore. Guess I have to
find those last 4 pixels
without quitting.

Can someone see if exiting saves any progress whatsoever? Don't want to start hunting all over again.

kurahador

Latest update on KS page state they're looking for an Artist and a Level Designer.
Guess the game is still far from release.

Kyonashi

Latest update on KS page state they're looking for an Artist and a Level Designer.
Guess the game is still far from release.

Yeah when I saw level designer I was a little surprised, didn't expect it to be THAT far out. I don't reckon it'll make 2015 at this rate.

apparently this is coming to xbox one? Says on their paypal link. Just confused because its not in the stretch goals.

EDIT: watched trailer. My lord this looks fantastic. If the Wii U verson has anything cool might pick that one up instead of ps4/ xbox one.

Grief.exe

They should look for a programmer than can get this shit running at 60fps.

I came in to ask if its still 30fps. Especially after playing Ys, no reason why this cant be 60fps on every device under the sun.

They seem to argue that it would be difficult to create the hand-drawn animations at 60 FPS, but most games decouple that aspect and render at 60 FPS while having lower animation frames.

I still don't understand the issue, it's actually going to end up being a huge sticking point for an otherwise solid-looking game.

sn00zer

They seem to argue that it would be difficult to create the hand-drawn animations at 60 FPS, but most games decouple that aspect and render at 60 FPS while having lower animation frames.

I still don't understand the issue, it's actually going to end up being a huge sticking point for an otherwise solid-looking game.

Yeah this made no sense...Guilty Gear animations are like 5 frames a second.

jett

D-Member
Yep, their explanation makes no sense whatsoever.

I came in to ask if its still 30fps. Especially after playing Ys, no reason why this cant be 60fps on every device under the sun.

I can play a lot of shit at 30fps, but a 2D action game? Nope.

hitsugi

Don't think it's getting pushed back an entire year. I would be willing to bet a release prior to the holidays.

Philippo

Sorry to bump this, but do we have an ETA on the release of this game?
Last i heard was Spring, but i guess that's not it...

I wonder how demanding this game will be. It looks like a chill game to play on my Macbook Pro (while I play something else on my console) multitasking but I don't know if I will be able to play it easily.

LaneDS

I wonder how demanding this game will be. It looks like a chill game to play on my Macbook Pro (while I play something else on my console) multitasking but I don't know if I will be able to play it easily.

I expect it to be a pretty challenging game and I think early impressions from those that have played it seem to indicate as such.

Unless you meant demanding in terms of like, system resources.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

What is this? That's no way to play any game.

Top Bottom