• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter [Kickstarter = Funded] Wii-U Stretch at 550K, Ends Oct 12

Maybe someone here can answer this. I backed at the $10 Early Backer tier. Will I be able to get the Vita version with that, or do I have to upgrade to the $15 tier? Can I even upgrade?

hohoXD123

Maybe someone here can answer this. I backed at the $10 Early Backer tier. Will I be able to get the Vita version with that, or do I have to upgrade to the $15 tier? Can I even upgrade?

Note: $10 gets you the game on PC, Mac or Linux, Steam or DRM-free. $15 and up lets you choose PS4, Vita, Wii U, or OUYA!

Looks as though you would need to get the $15 tier :/ Not sure how you'd be able to change it now though.

This game is so fucking beautiful.
Sure is.
2eef3b59a4af0a4a624dceccbbbd65df_large.png

Sad to hear that a PS4 version could likely get pushed to Q1 2015 :( At least backers will get to access a closed beta this Summer and that PC players will get their hands on it this year. [Source]

I'm interested to see some more gameplay video updates from the dev as we get closer to June as he made it sound like part of the delay is attributed to making it look more polished that the style conveys currently. I personally love what I've seen up till now but am definitely down to see what even more polish on this game ends up looking like.

It looks like all console versions (PS4, Vita, and Wii U) will be delayed. Too bad, I'm very excited for it, but if the end result is an even better game, I'm not going to argue.

https://twitter.com/HeartMachineZ/status/431213239666348032

Their list of Design No No's:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s5DHUZiy7gOhtdAe9YNXyjJjyw8yqIHQtHVzAwbxP-8/edit

Switches, weight blocks, locked doors at the end of a long hall
LONG or repetitive backtracking
Confirmation messages
endless dialogue boxes
adding hit points to an enemy does not make it challenging, just annoying
inflating numbers as a shortcut for adding variety. Small numbers are clearer, more elegant, easier to understand
Secret things that you can no longer unlock bc you're too far into the game
Fuck zombies
Button prompts as a last resort!
Unclear visual designs (character silhouettes, interactable objects)
Grinding = blows
Boring or filler content and padding. I’m looking at YOU, Skyward Sword!
Frustrating enemy patterns/AI
Bland, uninteresting backgrounds
Slow gameplay
Slow progression
Massive cutscenes
Extremely static worlds. This is a game, let’s interact!
Weapons that aren’t great = fuck ‘em!
Invisible walls
Slippery Ice floors
Frustrating Co-op
Regenerating Health
Dead-ends with nothing to offer
Memes = NO!
Inconsistent iconography

Oooh boy. Best of luck! XD

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sounds good.

Other than slippery ice floors. I happen to like ice block puzzles and ice themed Zelda dungeons.

Just as a follow up to this: I emailed them about it and they got back to me.

I'm looking into upgrade stuff for when I send the survey out; I may just have a paypal link up so you can send the difference, so long as you use the same email address and same info.

:D Vita get.

Dr.Hadji

Got to play this game at GDC this year. Super solid. Got the highest non-dev score on the endless enemy rush level they had playable. I can post more little nuggets later if anyone is interested.

hitsugi

Slightly disappointed to hear they got rid of the shield mechanic. I really liked how that was looking and the option to go from attacking to deflecting a projectile coming from a different angle really appealed to me.. I hope it's still in there somewhere but judging from that interview it's totally gone?

Slightly disappointed to hear they got rid of the shield mechanic. I really liked how that was looking and the option to go from attacking to deflecting a projectile coming from a different angle really appealed to me.. I hope it's still in there somewhere but judging from that interview it's totally gone?
They removed the shield? That looked so cool

Oh wow, with all the times this had been bumped, I'd missed til now that there would be a wiiu version.

Awesome. Looks like I'll actually be playing it.

From the new update about upgrading pledges:

A fair few backers have asked if they can upgrade their pledge as they may have purchased a new console, or wanted to grab a particular reward tier that they couldn't previously. The short answer is this likely won't happen; it's a time-consuming process that would take away increasingly precious time from developing the game. Kickstarter does not allow users a path to upgrade post-campaign, so we would have to go through our own custom PayPal solution (costly, highly time-consuming) or a custom system like BackerKit (also costly and time-consuming), plus change a significant chunk of orders and estimates in our budget.

I hope the requesters understand the costs and our priorities; we're a very small team dedicated to building the best experience we can. I would personally be handling these upgrade systems instead of working on art, design and production.

:[ That really sucks as I got a Vita after the KS and would much rather play it there, but I understand why they're not doing it. I'll probably just double dip for that version considering I was in at the $10 tier.

hitsugi

Not sure how many of you had the opportunity to play this on the Vita at E3, but.. compared to gameplay I had previously seen, this felt like a letdown. It didn't feel fluid as I experienced quite a few hiccups in my short time playing. Other people had better experiences, but some just put it down in frustration - I can't speak for the consistency of things.

It looks great on the Vita, but I felt this was a poor showing for the game. However, having seen other, better footage of the game, I haven't lost any faith in it; that's just how things go at shows sometimes.

Kieli

Not sure how many of you had the opportunity to play this on the Vita at E3, but.. compared to gameplay I had previously seen, this felt like a letdown. It didn't feel fluid as I experienced quite a few hiccups in my short time playing. Other people had better experiences, but some just put it down in frustration - I can't speak for the consistency of things.

It looks great on the Vita, but I felt this was a poor showing for the game. However, having seen other, better footage of the game, I haven't lost any faith in it; that's just how things go at shows sometimes.

Well... what's wrong with it? How come you didn't like it?

OnPoint

You'll have to be more specific. I played it at PAX East and I did not experience any lack of fluidity.

hitsugi

You'll have to be more specific. I played it at PAX East and I did not experience any lack of fluidity.

More specific? Sure, I could try..

As far as I know, and have seen and heard, the PAX build was running on PC. That would completely end that discussion and if that was the case in your experience you would be incredibly dense to compare it to mine.

Otherwise I would say two people play two different alpha builds of a game and have different experiences.... really? As I stated, that's how it goes sometimes.

OnPoint

More specific? Sure, I could try..

As far as I know, and have seen and heard, the PAX build was running on PC. That would completely end that discussion and if that was the case in your experience you would be incredibly dense to compare it to mine.

Otherwise I would say two people play two different alpha builds of a game and have different experiences.... really? As I stated, that's how it goes sometimes.

Are you speaking directly about the Vita version? That's my fault, I missed that you specified the Vita version last night. Sounds like it was probably too early to show. What exactly was wrong with it?

hitsugi

Are you speaking directly about the Vita version? That's my fault, I missed that you specified the Vita version last night. Sounds like it was probably too early to show. What exactly was wrong with it?

Yeah, specifically about the Vita version. That's why I was saying it was disappointing compared to what I had seen of the game running on PC. Perhaps I was being overly critical, because when it went smooth it was great... but I experienced a few hiccups and parts where it just stopped altogether for 1-2 seconds before things resumed.

The main disappointment stems from the fact I had been hyping this game up to no end to a few friends of mine and this was their first shot at it, and sometimes explaining "alpha build" only goes so far.

I'm still looking forward to beta access this month though!

hitsugi

So it's good on PC. that's good enough for me

It's important to specify that the Vita build is extremely early and I think E3 was the first public demo of it on a Vita. If anyone remembers Fez, or countless other demos, things aren't going to be perfect. I'm not saying the Vita version is going to be bad.. it's just not as far along as the PC build at the moment, which is to be expected. While I wish they had showcased it on PC, I understand the reasoning for them showing it on Vita.

OnPoint

Yeah, specifically about the Vita version. That's why I was saying it was disappointing compared to what I had seen of the game running on PC. Perhaps I was being overly critical, because when it went smooth it was great... but I experienced a few hiccups and parts where it just stopped altogether for 1-2 seconds before things resumed.

The main disappointment stems from the fact I had been hyping this game up to no end to a few friends of mine and this was their first shot at it, and sometimes explaining "alpha build" only goes so far.

I'm still looking forward to beta access this month though!

Makes me sad they showed that version at E3 and not the PC version.

Top Bottom