• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IBM: WiiU running on Watson's brain. 45nm MultiCore CPU with "lots" of embedded DRAM.

Snakeyes said:
If this is truly powered by a POWER7 derivative and a 4850-ish GPU... how come the French rumors said that the system would be "just a notch" above the 360? It should logically be miles above it unless Nintendo gimped the original designs beyond recognition.
Because they are doing the same thing people here are doing.
Basing the tech off of PS3/360 trailers and tech demos.

Jin34

Mr_Brit said:
Why? TSMC have already started 28nm production and this thing is coming out in the second half of 2012, that's more than enough time to manufacture millions of 28nm chips. I can't see any reasons for Nintendo not going for 28nm.

You want Nintendo to trust TSMC with their track record? 40nm was not only delayed but then had lots of yield problems with lead to Radeon 5000 shortages so AMD couldn't take full advantage of the GTX400 being so late. Then just before the 6000 and GTX500 series where going to go into production under 32nm they go: "oh sorry guys this node is cancelled, we are going to 28nm, k thanx bye".

As for their 28nm node, by production you mean they are making actual products with it as we speak? Because it would seem strange to me that this is the case but we have no word on Radeon 7000/GTX600 cards from the Chinese Bothans. When making a console you have to be sure and that means starting on a node which you know what yields you are going to get and not go on assurances from a company with a sketchy track record.

antonz

Snakeyes said:
If this is truly powered by a POWER7 derivative and a 4850-ish GPU... how come the French rumors said that the system would be "just a notch" above the 360? It should logically be miles above it unless Nintendo gimped the original designs beyond recognition.

Perspective means everything. At the same time the french were saying a notch other sources were saying significant.

5X the power of the ps360 to some is not a big enough jump while to others is significant. You can see that on this very forum

knitoe

GoldenEye 007 said:
Yeah because Watson is only, you know, A SUPERCOMPUTER..... What a terrible comparison to make for a home console...
Running 2,880 cores vs 4 cores. Great comparison...

You know what hasn't been considered when mentioning the Wii U. Nintendo released a console that is a overclocked GC. How much money do you think that cost Nintendo in R&D, the wiimote obviously wasn't cheap but it doesn't come remotely close to the cost of developing new console hardware. So, the Wii is released and it does gangbusters, it prints money like the DS for Nintendo. I'm thinking Nintendo set themselves up to have enough headroom to put a nice amount of power in the console.

J-Rock said:
What did Mark say? I guess I missed this.
RT @Michael_French @MarkRein So that means you're supporting Wii U? ;) <--No announcement to make today but let's just way "Water meet fish"

With a 3rd party round table tomorrow about WiiU, we might get some info there.

Shambles said:
How the fuck did we arrive at calling this the same as Watson? Thread title fail.

It's the same type of CPU that was used in Watson...

antonz

J-Rock said:
What did Mark say? I guess I missed this.
Someone asked him if he is ready to support Wii U and he said not going to announce anything right now but water meet fish.

Back in march he commented on not supporting Nintendo hardware because they dont make it powerful enough etc and said
The second Nintendo releases a piece of hardware that can run our engine well, we’ll be on it like water on fish.

Tomcat said:
It seems the far cry 3 demo was on wii U

The one at their conference? I dont think so. I could swear the camera cut to the developer holding a black PS3/60 controller.

Then again, it could have been video and im just confusing my demos

knitoe said:
Running 2,880 cores vs 4 cores. Great comparison...
Same processor tech. No shit it won't have nearly as many cores... That's all that is being said. It really is to address the loloool omg WIIU is last gen CONFIRMED crap going around the forum. And used more to illustrate that the power behind WiiU is actually pretty modern and powerful tech at least in the CPU department.

v1oz

It's funny that they have been quick to name drop IBM as the CPU supplier. But are very quiet about the GPU. Could that mean there is a possibility that AMD may not end up with the contract for the final GPU design?

Remember how Nintendo switched from the Tegra on the 3DS in the last minute.

Instro

AceBandage said:
RT @Michael_French @MarkRein So that means you're supporting Wii U? ;) <--No announcement to make today but let's just way "Water meet fish"

It's the same type of CPU that was used in Watson...

Do you know the time for this and the other roundtable?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
v1oz said:
It's funny that they have been quick to name drop IBM as the CPU supplier. But are very quiet about the GPU. Could that mean there is a possibility that AMD may not end up with the contract for the final GPU design?

Remember how Nintendo switched from the Tegra on the 3DS in the last minute.

There's a press release out there confirming AMD as the provider.

I'd love to be as optimistic as possible, but I have trouble imagining Nintendo releasing an expensive console that's a heat or power-hog.

If it's a POWER7 derivative, it's probably a stripped down and under-clocked chip.

Jezan

CoffeeJanitor said:
I'm a big Nintendo fan and I've been bitching all day.

best to remain pessimistic
Or you could stop posting and wait till you stop bitching to post again.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bitmap Frogs said:

Sorry, I thought it had probably already been posted somewhere. It's about as illuminating as the IBM release but it does at least confirm them as the supplier:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...ole-gaming-entertainment-nyse-amd-1523972.htm

LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwire - Jun 7, 2011) - Today at E3, AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced its support for Nintendo's newly-announced Wii U™ system, as a new way to enjoy HD console gaming entertainment. The custom AMD Radeon™ HD GPU reflects the best characteristics of AMD's graphics technology solutions: high-definition graphics support; rich multimedia acceleration and playback; and multiple display support. As an industry leader, AMD has supplied the game console market with graphics expertise and ongoing support for more than 10 years.

"We greatly value our synergistic relationship with the AMD design team. The AMD custom graphics processor delivers the best of AMD's world-class graphics expertise. AMD will support our vision of innovating play through unique entertainment experiences," said Genyo Takeda, senior managing director, Integrated Research & Development of Nintendo Co. Ltd.

"AMD shares Nintendo's excitement for the new HD entertainment experience planned for the Wii U console," said David Wang, corporate vice president of Silicon Engineering, AMD. "We're proud to provide our leading-edge HD multimedia graphics engine to power the new entertainment features of the console. Nintendo is a highly-valued customer and we look forward to the launch in 2012."

AMD custom graphics enable the new Nintendo system to provide exciting, immersive game play and interaction for consumers around the world. The AMD custom graphics processor features a modern and rich graphics processing core, allowing the new console to shine with new graphics capabilities.

Jin34

Basileus777 said:
I'd love to be as optimistic as possible, but I have trouble imagining Nintendo releasing an expensive console that's a heat or power-hog.

If it's a POWER7 derivative, it's probably a stripped down and under-clocked chip.

Yeah can't wait until the clock speeds leak and it's something like 2.0Ghz and people claim Xenon is faster because it's 2.4Ghz. Another round of carnival of stupid.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antonz said:
Perspective means everything. At the same time the french were saying a notch other sources were saying significant.

5X the power of the ps360 to some is not a big enough jump while to others is significant. You can see that on this very forum

If you're going by my post, 5x on the CPU side may be a little generous, and wouldn't be applicable to PS3.

You're right though, about it being a matter of perspective and opinion. In the league of generational steps of the past that wouldn't be very big. For example, if it was twice as powerful as PS3 Cell, that's arguably a smaller gap than between PS3 and 360's CPUs, yet loads of devs have said - in the past at last - that they're 'the same' (as technically untrue as that may be).

McHuj

sweet. now all we need is a developer to leak us more info. Number of cores and clock speeds would really help nail it down.

If Zelda is running in 1080p native then i'm satisfied. It looked very nice in motion, certainly a bit above anything on the current generation.

Desperado

antonz said:
Someone asked him if he is ready to support Wii U and he said not going to announce anything right now but water meet fish.

Back in march he commented on not supporting Nintendo hardware because they dont make it powerful enough etc and said
I didn't know about that previous tweet. Now it all makes sense to me.

antonz

gofreak said:
If you're going by my post, 5x on the CPU side may be a little generous, and wouldn't be applicable to PS3.

You're right though, about it being a matter of perspective and opinion. In the league of generational steps of the past that wouldn't be very big. For example, if it was twice as powerful as PS3 Cell, that's arguably a smaller gap than between PS3 and 360's CPUs, yet loads of devs have said - in the past at last - that they're 'the same' (as technically untrue as that may be).
Nah CPU side I really cant make a prediction due to the lack of hard details on specs. my 5x was more on the graphical side.

but as you said alot can change from developer to developer as far as how they report something

Stabbie said:
Do you know who'll be blogging it?

Pretty much every major news outlet. There will be threads with links for them when they start.

Desperado said:
I didn't know about that previous tweet. Now it all makes sense to me.

Like I said before. It's very telling that Epic made a tech demo specifically for a Nintendo system, especially after all we've heard from them the past 6 years.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antonz said:
Nah CPU side I really cant make a prediction due to the lack of hard details on specs. my 5x was more on the graphical side.

The GPU side is even less clear than the CPU though. At least we have rumours about the number of cores, we know the architecture. On the GPU side we have heard about the architecture but know nothing of config.

Prez

AceBandage said:
Pretty much every major news outlet. There will be threads with links for them when they start.

Thanks! I'll probably follow just the first half hour. Gotta go to bed after that but it'll be nice to wake up to all the news!

Orayn

1-D_FTW said:
Why? Because they don't suck down at the alter of Nintendo's dick? Guys making comments like yours are the same people who used to bitch at people who said DS/Wii would be a huge success. An inability to think for yourself and judge evidence that is new is the real problem. We've got too many Pachter's who are only capable of judging what happened the very last cycle and base all their opinions on that. Things change. Evaluate evidence and think for yourself. Sometimes you can "see the future" if it's obvious enough.

P.S. Watson was running 2880 cores. WiiU will be just as stupid as many of the comments here.
Nothing says logical, informed argument like telling someone they "suck Nintendo's dick."

People will make of these specs what they want to. The people who are excited will see this as the best thing sliced bread, and the skeptics will remain skeptical. We are all still hyped up on adrE3naline, and it brings out our inner fanboys and haters like nothing else.

Raistlin

AceBandage said:

Sounds good. I look forward to the info.

To be honest, I guess it really doesn't matter. I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. My 'issue' revolved more around getting sick of hearing Nintendo claim how they're going to make 3rd parties more important. They've been making that claim since N64 (I suppose NGC wasn't entirely their fault) ... so I'm just sick of hearing about it since it never pans out. More than words and all that.

I suppose part of me was also concerned about holding back AAA PC development, because that's exactly what PS3 and 360 are currently doing. Shit is sooooooo stagnant right now. Again though, I guess Nintendo probably isn't a major variable in that equation anyway. Regardless of Wii's popularity, PS3/360 became the target (which was fine back in the day, not so much now). With that in mind, even if Wii U is huge, I suppose it won't be what defines PC development. At least assuming the next PS and Xbox are not abject failures, or end up targeting a low entry point. I don't think either will be the case though.

I am certainly interested to see what kinds of gameplays come out of this controller setup. Does anyone know - is the screen capacitive? I know it isn't multi-touch, but I can live with that as long as it doesn't require a stylus.

Raistlin said:
Sounds good. I look forward to the info.

To be honest, I guess it really doesn't matter. I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. My 'issue' revolved more around getting sick of hearing Nintendo claim how they're going to make 3rd parties more important. They've been making that claim since N64 (I suppose NGC wasn't entirely their fault) ... so I'm just sick of hearing about it since it never pans out. More than words and all that.

I suppose part of me was also concerned about holding back AAA PC development, because that's exactly what PS3 and 360 are currently doing. Shit is sooooooo stagnant right now. Again though, I guess Nintendo probably isn't a major variable in that equation anyway. Regardless of Wii's popularity, PS3/360 became the target (which was fine back in the day, not so much now). With that in mind, even if Wii U is huge, I suppose it won't be what defines PC development. At least assuming the next PS and Xbox are not abject failures, or end up targeting a low entry point. I don't think either will be the case though.

I am certainly interested to see what kinds of gameplays come out of this controller setup. Does anyone know - is the screen capacitive? I know it isn't multi-touch, but I can live with that as long as it doesn't require a stylus.

I think it's still resistive but it's able to sense finger touches, just like the 3DS.

Top Bottom