• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks: Wii Street U (Iwata in a jetpack camera wand thing)

watershed

Banned
At the end of the day the problem is that this software/app isn't nearly as interesting as Nintendo thinks it is. Nintendo seems to treat their apps as appeals to casual gamers/families. The only successes I'd count out of them all would be flipnote for the dsi and miiverse on the wii u.

Marlowe89

At the end of the day the problem is that this software/app isn't nearly as interesting as Nintendo thinks it is. Nintendo seems to treat their apps as appeals to casual gamers/families. The only successes I'd count out of them all would be flipnote for the dsi and miiverse on the wii u.

Call me a casual then, because I certainly wouldn't mind getting lost in this thing as a pastime.

?oe?oe

dayumn, i need to buy a wiiU

not
image.php

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm not sure what's better: the meltdowns/whining of a feature previewed for the Wii u in June of 2011 exclaiming that it's detrimentally taking away from developer resources, or the amazing photoshop.

So is what they capture with the trekker exclusive to Wii u? If I read it right, Nintendo manufactured it?

Also they mentioned capturing the sky better and upping its resolution. Is that exclusive?

Anyone curious as to the overexposure of Iwata lately, specifically with regard to North America related announcements? Isn't that was Reggie is for? Is it possible that Nintendo is finally coming to their senses and are phasing him out?

Anyone curious as to the overexposure of Iwata lately, specifically with regard to North America related announcements? Isn't that was Reggie is for? Is it possible that Nintendo is finally coming to their senses and are phasing him out?

I imagine they mainly used him for tvii for his connections? Hopefully they improve that...haven't used it in a while...

I don't know why Nintendo is highlighting this as a huge feature, it's neat, i'll have fun with it fir few minutes but I don't think that it requires a media parade. The only good thing that came from this are the photoshops.

Not that Reggie has control over what Iwata says anyway. But considering that, he's probably doing some behind the scenes stuff(maybe at business meetings trying to shore up more 3rd party support) and getting ready for E3

I hope Iwata does at least half the talking at E3, he's so much more compelling and you feel something grand is going to happen.

I don't hate Reggie but Iwata is the more commanding and dramatic speaker in all his quietness.

qq more

" Editor's note: The North American version of Wii Street U will be available soon. "

Is this the interesting news teased by IGN? lol

maybe we should focus on the Iwata Asks now that we have an english version?

Iwata: You gave a presentation about Wii Street U at the Google head office in America the other day.

Suzuki: Yes. I went together with staff from Nintendo Software Technology (NST)5, which developed the fundamental elements of the system overseas.

this stuff is still very interesting to know... they had to Present this to Google

MisterHero

They didn't want him to announce X because it's not coming to US. pack it in folks, it's aaaall over

It's also easier for Iwata because he can announce X's cancellation to both English and JP speakers

It's starting to seem to be...

Rich replied to my tweet an hour ago

Rich ‏@RichIGN
Not to me. =] “@NazHz: @RichIGN Wii Street U powered by Google is not very interesting is it?”

edit: beaten again

back to reading

NST worked on this and a company called teamLab

"
Ohashi:

Well, we were just barely able to pull off the ROM this morning! (laughs) Together with Suzuki-san and NST overseas, we passed the baton back and forth between our work days to take advantage of the time zone differences so we could develop internationally, literally around the clock.
"

I wonder if Iwata sees these posts. If so, he has to get a kick out of these photoshops. Id like to see his reaction to the baby reggie one.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Kawai: It's good if you can use commercially available materials, but they come with a lot of extra stuff making it heavy. So we customized things, like the battery is a custom order. We used high-density battery and lightened it by the gram. Would you like to try carrying it on your back?

Iwata: Huh? Can I? Okay, I'll put it on. (laughs) (standing up) How much does this weigh?

Kawai: It's about 40 pounds, so about 18 kilograms

Iwata: If you'll pardon me… Umph! …This is now "Iwata Carrys". Like this?

LOL!

Aside from the hilarity of the 'shops in this thread, I'm actually really excited for this app. I've spent way too much time on Google Earth just looking at places. See how streets are laid out, where things are, Area 51. It's a lot of fun!

Kawai:
But if you look at it like this on a large television, you can tell right away that there are some older photos mixed in here!(laughs) Maybe we better increase the resolution!

this thing might force google to update street view with higher resolution photos? Hell yeah do want

Punisher

Neo Member
I've had a fun 5 minutes with Street View U. Probably won't use it much.

Pretty nice though, Wish you were able to move through the environment smoother. Looking around works very good though.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

Kawai:
But if you look at it like this on a large television, you can tell right away that there are some older photos mixed in here!(laughs) Maybe we better increase the resolution!

this thing might force google to update street view with higher resolution photos? Hell yeah do want

That's what I was thinking as well. This will make google maps more visible, more view-able. In theory, the higher the resolution, the more we can dominate the world... with maps... from our couch!

Reading that part about how maps and people moving are so integrated made me think of John Fiske's mapping theory: “Mapping” is a bottom-up method developed for the purpose of empirically identifying traces of dominant and emergent consciousness in information, opinion, and intention. A cultural studies project is fundamentally based in the hope that researcher literacy of this selection process be utilized for political mobilization."

Those images that are lower resolution are demonstrative of our lack of interest/importance of that part of the world. I must write a paper!!!

Iwata
The team at Google really has been to numerous places and captured every nook and cranny. Perhaps now it has become easier for people to look at all these details.

Kawai
Thank you. But I'm surprised how much it has changed from what I saw at the head office just the other day.

Iwata
This project didn't take long at all from initial planning to the point where we could show some examples. When making a video game you have to create everything yourself, including all visible data. This time, though, all the scenic image data of places around the world are standing by on the Google servers, so once a system that works well with web technology is ready to go, things quickly get moving from there. Until recently, we've hardly ever experienced such speedy development, so I'm really excited.

Kawai
The best thing about looking through the Wii U is that you can relax in your living room and do it at your leisure. I'm incredibly pleased that something we made for practical purposes can now be enjoyed in this way. I just bought a Wii U, so I can't wait to get home and try this! (laughs)

Everyone: Thank you!

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

That's what I was thinking as well. This will make google maps more visible, more view-able. In theory, the higher the resolution, the more we can dominate the world... with maps... from our couch!

Reading that part about how maps and people moving are so integrated made me think of John Fiske's mapping theory: “Mapping” is a bottom-up method developed for the purpose of empirically identifying traces of dominant and emergent consciousness in information, opinion, and intention. A cultural studies project is fundamentally based in the hope that researcher literacy of this selection process be utilized for political mobilization."

Those images that are lower resolution are demonstrative of our lack of interest/importance of that part of the world. I must write a paper!!!

yes you must you must :)

I am most excited about this if updated often like I trust Google to do I will love it. My love for Maps will have a good home

Top Bottom