• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakefoo

You know, there's some scenes were they didn't even convert it to 3D. I kept removing my glasses to check lol
Just a few shots of the ship's externals looked flat, but that's seemingly intentional. Still I wish they had pushed those scenes further into the screen instead of ON the screen.

Just got back. Gonna type my thoughts as they come, so this post may be a bit unorganized.

First off: the 3D. I didn't like it. Honestly, the 3D I saw in the movie looks less "3D" than regular 2D does. It just seemed like for the entire movie, everything was a cardboard cutout. It was like watching a piece of paper (cut out from a larger piece of paper) being placed on top another piece of paper. Very flat. As for the movie itself...

The dialogue isn't that great. It's mostly serviceable with some cheesy lines here and there. My favorite line and delivery: "...I put the coat on her!"

Speaking of Cal (is that his name?), what a fucking annoying prick. Absolutely no redeeming factor about him whatsoever. I thought he was gonna redeem himself a little with the child, but nope, just using her to save himself! Entirely one-dimensional.

The same goes for the rest of the upper rich class in the movie except for the "new money" woman. I mean, I get that it could be help emphasize how much Rose wants to get away from it all, but it could've been done without making them so flat. I would've been fine with it, but the people just got annoying in the end: "Is this boat only first class?" Asshole. And you're annoying.

Honestly, I thought the best characters were the side characters: Mr. Andrews, the "new money" lady, the Irish dude that made friends with Jack Dawson, that guy who shot himself with the gun, etc.

I thought the captain went out in a bad way. He screwed up, but he didn't own up to it. He would've gone down with the ship either way, but it should've been ordering people around and saving lives rather than hiding himself in a room feeling sorry for himself. Fight until the bitter end. I'm not wrong on this. I watch Star Trek. I know what makes a good captain.

But I guess all of those are nitpicks. Overall it's a pretty good film and technically well made (as are all of Cameron's films). The sinking of the ship is done miraculously, and the ending was perfect. Sound design is amazing (I loved the sound the ship makes when the lights go out for the last time). Soundtrack was good for the most part.

That's all from a dude who hasn't seen the film, in its entirety, in more than eight years.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The same goes for the rest of the upper rich class in the movie except for the "new money" woman. I mean, I get that it could be help emphasize how much Rose wants to get away from it all, but it could've been done without making them so flat. I would've been fine with it, but the people just got annoying in the end: "Is this boat only first class?" Asshole. And you're annoying.

Honestly, I thought the best characters were the side characters: Mr. Andrews, the "new money" lady, the Irish dude that made friends with Jack Dawson, that guy who shot himself with the gun, etc.

I thought the captain went out in a bad way. He screwed up, but he didn't own up to it. He would've gone down with the ship either way, but it should've been ordering people around and saving lives rather than hiding himself in a room feeling sorry for himself. Fight until the bitter end. I'm not wrong on this. I watch Star Trek. I know what makes a good captain.

Maybe it's because I live in Denver, but how the heck can you not know the name Molly Brown?

As for the Captain, Cameron took a lot of artistic license with the crew, and most of the historical characters. There were people who saw the Captain outside when the ship went down, same with the first officer. Fox and Cameron both apologized for depicting him as committing suicide, as there were many reports he helped get people to the lifeboats till the very end.

cakefoo

Even native shot 3D content (movies in particular) have the cardboard effect to an extent. They did a really damn good job making Titanic look consistent with native 3D and polishing all the edges that rush conversions like Thor and Harry Potter missed. My only issue with the 3D is that it wasn't shot with 3D in mind, so it doesn't maximize the artistic potential like Hugo or Kung Fu Panda did, and it's like if the Mona Lisa were converted to 3D- sometimes I want to remember things the way they were, not the way they could be. It lowered my expectations for Star Wars IV-VI, Jurassic Park, etc, but oh, I'm still going to see them, for damn sure.

Maybe it's because I live in Denver, but how the heck can you not know the name Molly Brown?
Nope. Never heard of her. :p
As for the Captain, Cameron took a lot of artistic license with the crew, and most of the historical characters. There were people who saw the Captain outside when the ship went down, same with the first officer. Fox and Cameron both apologized for depicting him as committing suicide, as there were many reports he helped get people to the lifeboats till the very end.
Oh wow. Really? Yeah, that would've been so much better. Points against the movie for that.

Edit: Where did you read that? According to Wiki, there were multiple reports of his death: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Smith_(sea_captain)

GhaleonEB

Oh wow. Really? Yeah, that would've been so much better. Points against the movie for that.
To be fair, there were conflicting reports; Cameron went with the versions that he felt had more dramatic impact and has been open about saying so.

Murdoch:

Within days of the disaster, several crew members and passengers began to speak of a suicide that occurred near the end of Titanic's sinking. It is unclear who may have committed suicide, some claiming it was Smith, Wilde, or Murdoch. Several members of the crew, including the ship's lamp trimmer, Samuel Hemming, and Second Officer Charles Lightoller said they saw Murdoch attempting to free Collapsible A from the falls on the Boat Deck just before the bridge submerged in the final stages of the sinking, when a huge wave washed him overboard into the sea.[12] Surviving wireless operator Harold Bride later stated that he saw Murdoch in the water nearby Collapsible Lifeboat "B," but that he was already dead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McMaster_Murdoch#Titanic.27s_sinking

Captain Smith:

It is not known how Smith died on the night of the sinking. Robert Ballard's book, The Discovery of the Titanic, and historians alike claim that Smith was on the bridge at 2:13 AM, seven minutes before the final sinking and went down with the ship. Some sources state that Smith quietly wandered off to the ship's wheelhouse, while others say he was actively present in the radio room. Working near Collapsible B, Junior Marconi Officer Harold Bride reported seeing Smith dive into the sea from the open bridge minutes before the final plunge began.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Smith_(sea_captain)#Death_and_legacy

The 1 dimensional characters don't bother me in this movie. But I'll openly admit that they are terribly written. They don't bother me because I'm still always in awe of the spectacle aspect. Even at home I always get overwhelmed by all the work that was put into the design of the movie. It blows my mind.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sadness. Thursday totals were actually down from Wednesday.

Americans have terrible taste confirmed.

Great movie, but I've already seen it multiple times and 3D isn't enough reason for me to sit through it in a theater again. It's pretty long :p

Shiv47

Or, not falling for the 3D scam, or actually developing some taste. Wouldn't bet on the latter though.

In a related Titanic note, my wife and I were in Dublin this past week and noted the opening of the huge new permanent Titanic attraction that just opened in Belfast. It looked pretty killer, but we didn't make it up there to see it.

Cheebo

Banned
It's Thursday, what did you expect.

It also is tracking pretty bad for Friday. Only making 20 mil for the full 5 day opening. Behind both American Pie and Hunger Games. And of note it's 5 day will be worse than The Phantom Menace 3D's 3-day opening.

To be fair, there were conflicting reports; Cameron went with the versions that he felt had more dramatic impact and has been open about saying so.

Murdoch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McMaster_Murdoch#Titanic.27s_sinking

Captain Smith:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Smith_(sea_captain)#Death_and_legacy

I like how captain smith looks like he had blown a fuse of his head when he sees the woman with the baby pleading what to do. Its like he head goes completly out, so he wanders until he gets to the wheel house.
BUT I also liked if they didnt cut the part were he is helping outside, calling the boats to return, that was one of the deleted scenes.

I think those two without anything being cut would had help the two points of view of Captain Smith, when he is trying to help, and when he is just without any hope, and he probably thinks he has just condemned 1500 souls.

The same with Andrews, but they actually show Andrews help out some people before he shuts his mind down so that helps his character.

But thats history, even if we know some of them are only conjectures.
Its like fucking Ismay, if the movie would have continued to the trials, that motherfucker would have been still protrayed as a villian.
Even if its a little fatansized, I like how most historic characters are portrayed (Molly Brown is awesome), with the exception of poor Murdoch, as it would have probably have been better to show a no face crew member doing the same thing, instead of using Murdoch.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I like how captain smith looks like he had blown a fuse of his head when he sees the woman with the baby pleading what to do. Its like he head goes completly out, so he wanders until he gets to the wheel house.
BUT I also liked if they didnt cut the part were he is helping outside, calling the boats to return, that was one of the deleted scenes.

I think those two without anything being cut would had help the two points of view of Captain Smith, when he is trying to help, and when he is just without any hope, and he probably thinks he has just condemned 1500 souls.

The same with Andrews, but they actually show Andrews help out some people before he shuts his mind down so that helps his character.

But thats history, even if we know some of them are only conjectures.
Its like fucking Ismay, if the movie would have continued to the trials, that motherfucker would have been still protrayed as a villian.
Even if its a little fatansized, I like how most historic characters are portrayed (Molly Brown is awesome), with the exception of poor Murdoch, as it would have probably have been better to show a no face crew member doing the same thing, instead of using Murdoch.

Many accounts describe Smith as being so disconnected with reality during the sinking, so the portrayal in the film makes sense in that respect. I think any sane person might have that sort of reaction too considering Smith hadn't a single accident in his entire career and this was meant to be his last voyage before retirement.

Molly Brown's portrayal was pretty good, although toward the end when she suggests they go back and pick up people in the water, in real life she didn't back down from the quartermaster like she did in the movie.

Andrews was probably my favorite, though.

National Geographic had a new program on last night with Robert Ballard, the man who discovered the wreck. Really cool stuff with how he's trying to get new laws passed to preserve the site.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Many accounts describe Smith as being so disconnected with reality during the sinking, so the portrayal in the film makes sense in that respect. I think any sane person might have that sort of reaction too considering Smith hadn't a single accident in his entire career and this was meant to be his last voyage before retirement.

Molly Brown's portrayal was pretty good, although toward the end when she suggests they go back and pick up people in the water, in real life she didn't back down from the quartermaster like she did in the movie.

Speaking of Smith never having accidents, I guess Cameron wanted the triumphant launch scene not to be interrupted by Titanic nearly hitting another ship.

I also liked how Molly Brown was never actually called Molly until after her death. Heck, the museum in Denver is even called The Molly Brown House.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Speaking of Smith never having accidents, I guess Cameron wanted the triumphant launch scene not to be interrupted by Titanic nearly hitting another ship.

I also liked how Molly Brown was never actually called Molly until after her death. Heck, the museum in Denver is even called The Molly Brown House.

Yeah, iirc both Cameron's film and A Night to Remember don't include the near mishap with the New York as the Titanic was leaving port.

And yeah, I've been to the Molly Brown House. It was quite nice.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Saw this last night... holy shit the conversion was incredible.

The particles in the water, even individual hairs were done properly.. I wouldn't believe this was a 'conversion' if I didn't know it for a fact already.

The stuff in the submersible was fantastic, the depth, everything, I don't know how they did it. I hope to hell there's a special feature on the BLU that shows some of their process.

The depth on Old Rose's face was insane early on, you could sense the distance between her nose and her face, too.. really incredible.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this last night with my boyfriend (it's his favorite). Incredible movie. I can't believe I waited so long to give it a fair watch. So many wonderful scenes. I just don't understand how some of the scenes were directed and produced, so much chaos. Didn't care much for the 3D, some scenes seemed flat and the ones that weren't looked out of place and took me out of the moment.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
A little ashamed to admit that I'm going to have to miss the coveted 4:20 showing this afternoon. Running a little slow today. Gonna try to see it at 7:20 instead I think.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Saw this last night with my boyfriend (it's his favorite). Incredible movie. I can't believe I waited so long to give it a fair watch. So many wonderful scenes. I just don't understand how some of the scenes were directed and produced, so much chaos. Didn't care much for the 3D, some scenes seemed flat and the ones that weren't looked out of place and took me out of the moment.

I will say that the conversion was fantastic at the top of the film, then I think they realized most people will have gotten 'used to the 3d' in the film, and I think they dialed back some of the intricite details that were present in the top half...

The earlier stuff in the film looked amazing, and I think right around the sex-in-car scene, things started looking slightly 'flatter' than it did near the start.

strafer

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6003652&postcount=369

DVD 2005

vts013vobsnapshot102620.png

Restoration 2012

titanicresturation2h264.png

Restoration 2012

Restoration 2012

JB1981

Never understood why people thought this was going to make a lot of money. The movie is long as hell, people have seen it a million times on DVD and Cable. Plus 3D has lost its appeal and it's expensive as fuck.

tak

I find it a little silly that one of the biggest blockbuster films of the 90s needs restoration.

I think the termanology remastered is more accurate.

GhaleonEB

Looks more like a green tint. I don't understand why they removed the pinkish hue, it's part of Titanic's unmistakeable look.

Perhaps because I'm r/g colorblind, I did not notice any color or filter shifts in the film on either viewing. Just that the print quality is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom