• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

This is really hitting me hard :( Been listening to Linkin Park since Hybrid Theory. I love all their albums.

God it puts some of the songs on One More Light into a very different perspective.

Izuna

Banned
I feel so goddamn shocked by this.

Like, they were the first band I was ever exposed to. Hybrid Theory is like, the most nostalgic music for me.

I hate this.

Arc

This is hard to comprehend for me. One of the more difficult parts of adulthood is discovering the mortality of your childhood heroes.

offshore

I won't pretend to have been a follower, but I remember when LP came onto the scene when I was a teenager, and I just played In The End over and over and over again. Probably one of my favourite ever tunes.

RIP.

Fox318

This is hard to comprehend for me. One of the more difficult parts of adulthood is discovering the mortality of your childhood heroes.
Not just their mortality but their humanity and how the issues our hero's face are just as debilitating as our own.

Kneefoil

I was never big into Linkin Park, although I did like a few of their songs, but it's still really shocking to hear that someone who was such a big deal to my generation just went off and killed themselves. It ain't right.

Izuna

Banned
towards the end it sounds like while mike wrote most of the new album, helping chester deal with his issues clearly influenced him.

Mike seems like he was used to Chester saying things and he would do the best to turn it into a positive. They look like brothers here.

zulux21

Mike seems like he was used to Chester saying things and he would do the best to turn it into a positive. They look like brothers here.

yeah.

some public relationships have you thinking that they are close or are friends when they aren't (adam and jamie from mythbusters or penn and teller)

but I am pretty sure mike and chester were close friends.

I've only cried for 4 celebrities my whole life and I never would of thought this one would hurt me so much. I tried not to weep but I couldn't hold out. Linkin Park is my childhood....growing up in middle school...being that outcast who had no one to talk to...feeling that lost and pain and releasing it with screaming and angelic vocals....

Linkin Park introduced me to rock living in Brooklyn where R&B and Hip Hop was non stop. My whole musical background elevated because of them and my biggest regret is never seeing them live....this is so heartbreaking and my heart goes out to his family and six kids. 💔💔 RIP Chester 😖😭

The thing that gets me is that if someone with money, love, friends, family, talent couldn't keep it together, the rest of us chronically depressed are fucked

Hey man, I just wanted to stop by and say, please don't view this through that lense. That's a depressive approach.

Truth is, none of us know what his motives were, it could have been drug or alcohol induced, perhaps he's experienced some hardships that we may never know about, this could be a lifelong struggle and his moment in the spotlight was only one chapter that we only saw one part of and that part was heavily scrubbed and produced to form a persona.

Wealth and fame do not assure contentment, only inner hard work and soul searching can do that. Keep your head up everyone and remember Chester for the music he gifted you.

Jzero

I've been bummed all day because of this :( RIP
and I've been listening to them all day feeling more depressed than usual
U4uiBK3.jpg

Sai-kun

Banned
i'm listening to their whole discography in order now

man

minutes to midnight was the coolest fucking birthday present as a 16 year old (it came out like a day before my birthday)

Man, Linkin Park has played such a huge role in my life. Sometimes (as sad as it is to say), you see news of a musician/artist committing suicide and when you see the name you kind of expect it...the total opposite of how I felt when I saw this thread. I really couldn't believe it. Hybrid Theory/Meteora are very nostalgic records for me since they're two of the albums I listened to over and over when I got my first car, but even when I went back and listened to those albums again a year ago they held up so well! People don't give their lyrics enough credit...it's easy to write them off as some early 2000s nu-metal, edgelord stuff, but they're actually really introspective and deep. I listened to Minutes to Midnight since it came out right when I graduated high school but didn't keep up much after that. Heard the new singles on the radio here in Japan a few months ago and saw all of the push back from fans about them selling out and Chester's response (and of course the response to his response). Really sad stuff but I'll never forget how he affected me and next time I go to karaoke I'll probably queue up 5-6 old LP songs in a row. God bless, man.

nasax

It's just so crazy, I'm in my 30s now and I basically grew up with these guys through my teenage years until I went to college. Even while in college I would listen to them on and off but I grew out of that phase eventually like so many people, I'm sure. Whoever said we lost a voice of generation is spot on. I'm going to listen to Hybrid Theory now.

devonodev

Just woke up to the news. :( Linkin Park were one of my favorite bands ever, and that's because he had one of the best voices in the scene.

I've seen them several times whenever they tour here, just 2 weeks ago I saw a cover band, and I still listen to a LP song most days, if not every week at least.

They were a huge park of growing up, as well as my current life, this really sucks to hear. RIP.

It really does. It's an incredibly sad album to me now.

If they say
Who cares if one more light goes out?
In a sky of a million stars
It flickers, flickers
Who cares when someone's time runs out?
If a moment is all we are
We're quicker, quicker
Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do
I can't get over this now. He's promising someone cares, yet I don't think he ever felt that about himself. If he knew people truly cared, truly wanted him around...well, maybe he'd still be here.

Depression's a bitch. I have it come and go but nothing like this.

It's just, songs like these make it easier, ya know?

ZeoVGM

Banned
i'm listening to their whole discography in order now

man

minutes to midnight was the coolest fucking birthday present as a 16 year old (it came out like a day before my birthday)

That's my plan tonight and over the next few days, to get a final ranking in my head.

I still think the top three will be A Thousand Suns, Hybrid Theory and Minutes to Midnight but we'll see.

Which reminds me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU53-r2obuQ

Japanese bonus track from Minutes to Midnight with Mike on vocals. Was always a top 10 LP song for me.

gamerMan

Yah I agree. This hurts so bad. It's like a part of you died. The worst part is that his music helped millions of people get through the darkest times in their life. I just wish somebody could have helped him, but sometimes people go though things that are not fixable. It's heartbreaking.

Sai-kun

Banned
one of my favorite random trivia things is track five on A Thousand Suns and Living Things matching up. "When They Come For Me" / "I'll Be Gone"

Top Bottom