• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

Piichan

Banned
I grew out of Linkin Park pretty quickly, but I can't deny they had an impact on 12-13 year old me.

My thoughts go out to his family, friends, remaining band members and all his fans. RIP dude.

Hydrus

A little off topic, but I'm kind surprised that I've seen very little talk about this on my facebook feed. Usually when someone like this dies, my feed is nothing but post about that person. But today, little to nothing. Me and a couple friends are the only ones that posted about it. Kinda makes me angry. I wonder if people are embarrassed to admit they listen to Linkin Park. But I do have quite a few of the "Metal head bros" on FB. I may of not listened to them all that much as I grew up, but the first two albums were HUGE for me. I'll always like this band because of that.

As a big fan when I was 14 and 15, hyping Living Things to no end, I feel like I should be sadder about this - but I guess I'm so far removed from it that it's normal - regardless, they were the first band I actually got full albums from, I loved A Thousand Suns, I knew the whole discography up until 2013 or so. I want to play that record but I genuinely think I'd end up balling... fuck. RIP Chester. I know how it feels too well.

Siyou

you know. it was recent that I decided to pick up the reanimated album. When it first came out, I thought it ridiculous to release a remix album about the previous album. It was, actually, and still is to me. So I passed on the album. I picked it up recently, though. I gotta say, it felt like an ode to the past and what it was, and what isn't anymore. It was an odd trip, but for anyone who hasn't listened to it yet, now's not a bad time.

Damn this hurts. Listened to LP a ton when Hybrid Theory released. To this day whenever any song comes on from that record I know the lyrics by heart. Can't imagine what he was dealing with internally to have done this.

RIP

Radec

kMUurEE.jpg

Waiting for the end to come
Wishing I had strength to stand
This is not what I had planned
It's out of my control
Flying at the speed of light
Thoughts were spinning in my head
So many things were left unsaid
It's hard to let you go

Haruko

A little off topic, but I'm kind surprised that I've seen very little talk about this on my facebook feed. Usually when someone like this dies, my feed is nothing but post about that person. But today, little to nothing. Me and a couple friends are the only ones that posted about it. Kinda makes me angry. I wonder if people are embarrassed to admit they listen to Linkin Park. But I do have quite a few of the "Metal head bros" on FB. I may of not listened to them all that much as I grew up, but the first two albums were HUGE for me. I'll always like this band because of that.

If it helps, my feed has been flooded

you know. it was recent that I decided to pick up the reanimated album. When it first came out, I thought it ridiculous to release a remix album about the previous album. It was, actually, and still is to me. So I passed on the album. I picked it up recently, though. I gotta say, it felt like an ode to the past and what it was, and what isn't anymore. It was an odd trip, but for anyone who hasn't listened to it yet, now's not a bad time.

I loved the Reanimation album when it came out. Even preferred some of the remixes to the originals. I still listen to that remix of My December occasionally.

I'd actually prefer silence over the memes and jokes about it appearing on my timeline.

Roo

Just hear about this. Terrible news.
I've never been a big fan of their music but I know what it feels like to lose one of your favorite artist.

RIP Chester.

dcelw540

Actually so sad, just crying here. Their music helped me out so much feels numb thinking I'll never hear anything from him again.

Ashtrax

I'm absolutely gutted by the news. RIP.

The band has always gone from strength to strength, but they've always been in my music rotation from day one. Only learning about the depression too has absolutely changed my perception of the lyrics. Just listening to 'One More Light' now is very difficult.

This on top of another creative hero, George A Romero, passing away earlier in the week has just made the week, and the world, a little more sad.

It's insane how Chester and Linkin Park have been there ever since I was a toddler, preteen, teenager, and now a recent college graduate. While I haven't listened to them since I started college to say that they haven't been a huge part of my life in getting through public schooling would be a straight up lie. Meme or not the band has been there for what seems forever to me.

I took for granted their presence in my life an essentially thought them and the band to be there forever or atleast retire in peace. Suicide is a painful loss and having it happen within Linkin Park and Chester who consistently tackled these darker/depressing but necessary themes just makes it worse.

Regardless of how his life ended, my personal memory of him will be his legendary voice serving as solace for turbulent times from both my past and perhaps the future. Rest in peace Chester.

Mario007

I'm dancing with my demons
I’m hanging off the edge
Storm clouds gather beneath me
Waves break above my head
Head-first hallucination
I wanna fall wide awake now
You tell me it’s alright
Tell me I’m forgiven
Tonight
But nobody can save me now
I’m holding up a light
I’m chasing up the darkness inside
Cause nobody can save me

Stare into this illusion
For answers yet to come
I chose a false solution
But nobody proved me wrong
Head-first hallucination
I wanna fall wide awake
Watch the ground giving way now
You tell me it’s alright
Tell me I’m forgiven
Tonight
But nobody can save me now
I’m holding up a light
I’m chasing up the darkness inside
Cause nobody can save me

Been searching somewhere out there
For what’s been missing right here
I’ve been searching somewhere out there

I wanna fall wide awake now
So tell me it’s alright
Tell me I’m forgiven
Tonight
If only I can save me now
I’m holding on a light
Chasing up the darkness inside
And I don’t wanna let you down
But only I can save me now

Been searching somewhere out there

And that's just the first song from their new life. As someone who spent years battlong depression and Linkin Park helped tremendously with that, this is hitting me harder than I thought it ever could.

Kevtones

I haven't liked Linkin Park in about 16 years but they're a borderline institution in this country. Whether you like them, hate them, or merely use them as a meme - they have a ton of cultural significance/relevance. Reading up on Chester he seems like a really incredible guy who was humble, kind and philanthropic and someone who ran in the face of the rockstar stereotype. He helped so many young people cope and find strength in the toughest of times. Even though this is a tragedy if his mission was to give hope he sure as hell did it and then some. And no matter my distaste for his music, he was a talented singer and a great individual and I hope he's found peace. Condolences to his family.

wmlk

It's insane how Chester and Linkin Park have been there ever since I was a toddler, preteen, teenager, and now a recent college graduate. While I haven't listened to them since I started college to say that they haven't been a huge part of my life in getting through public schooling would be a straight up lie. Meme or not the band has been there for what seems forever to me.

I took for granted their presence in my life an essentially thought them and the band to be there forever or atleast retire in peace. Suicide is a painful loss and having it happen within Linkin Park and Chester who consistently tackled these darker/depressing but necessary themes just makes it worse.

Regardless of how his life ended, my personal memory of him will be his legendary voice serving as solace for turbulent times from both my past and perhaps the future. Rest in peace Chester.

Captures my feelings on this perfectly. Their lyrics meant so much for me growing up, only now I'm realizing how important each and every one of their songs are.

YouTube has these songs on autoplay and they're so foreboding. It's chilling.

Still haven't processed this news after several hours to let it sink in. I wasn't a die-hard Linkin Park fan, but I've never not enjoyed a Linkin Park song when I heard it come on the radio. Linkin Park helped me broaden my horizons in music.

I also think back to all the infamous Dragonball AMVs and such. Damn. That's far too young. It saddens me to know he was hurting so badly on the inside. Such a horrible outcome for everyone involved, especially those closest to him.

Is it? I would have said it's more like being a black hole. But there are always different forms/stages of depression. If one has no trouble getting up or going somewhere, that's already not so bad.

I suppose, but you still don't really see the point in doing those things. You just do them because you have to, or because everyone else is doing them, or because it's what you're used to doing.

I just put on A Thousand Suns.

Hearing his voice on the opening track brought some sadness. Now it happened again as I hear "when they come for me, come for me, I'll be gone."

I'm sad I never got to see any of the A Thousand Suns songs live.

:( RIP.

I love Linkin Park, first 3 albums were amazing and I can still listen to the songs right now and enjoy them. I've also never been ashamed to admit it or whatever the weird stigma is over the band, cool music that is catchy and I like.

Really sad. :(

wmlk

I just put on A Thousand Suns.

Hearing his voice on the opening track brought some sadness. Now it happened again as I hear "when they come for me, come for me, I'll be gone."

I'm sad I never got to see any of the A Thousand Suns songs live.

Man, Waiting for the End feels so triumphant even just as a standalone song. Completely different from most of their songs.

cr0w

Old Member
I saw them on the '03 Summer Sanitarium tour. Never considered myself a fan, but Chester played through the show with a damn near crippling stomach condition, and I believe he was hospitalized at one point on the tour. Dude looked like death, but he still went out and put on a hell of a show. He was almost at the point of collapse a few times it looked like, but he put everything he had into it. I respected the hell out of him after that, no matter how I felt about the band.

I've never suffered from depression, but my wife has. It's hell. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I hope he's at peace now, wherever he ends up.

cr0w

Old Member
Listening to "One More Light" posthumously is absolutely heartbreaking, given the circumstances. I'd never heard it until tonight.

RoKKeR

kMUurEE.jpg

Waiting for the end to come
Wishing I had strength to stand
This is not what I had planned
It's out of my control
Flying at the speed of light
Thoughts were spinning in my head
So many things were left unsaid
It's hard to let you go
One of my favorite songs ever. Fuck.

Beefy

Is it? I would have said it's more like being a black hole. But there are always different forms/stages of depression. If one has no trouble getting up or going somewhere, that's already not so bad.

Nope, it's called putting on a face. You just do shit because you get use to doing it. It doesn't mean you are any better.

zulux21

Listening to "One More Light" posthumously is absolutely heartbreaking, given the circumstances. I'd never heard it until tonight.

yeah... I figured a lot of people didn't listen to that song before today. it was hands down the standout on the album for me.

if that was heartbreaking try giving the live version where it was dedicated to chris cornell and it's clear towards the end that chester was performing despite being heartbroken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgwL14IDDJY

one minor positive for me is that more people will likely learn how great the song is as it's a great song and almost to fitting for today.

yeah... I figured a lot of people didn't listen to that song before today. it was hands down the standout on the album for me.

if that was heartbreaking try giving the live version where it was dedicated to chris cornell and it's clear towards the end that chester was performing despite being heartbroken

one minor positive for me is that more people will likely learn how great the song is as it's a great song and almost to fitting for today.

I made a Tribute cover of the song today <3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGjUQ9gicg&lc=z13petdoqnegcd3s522cez0w1lmnjvocs

cr0w

Old Member

The style of their last album (that went completely under my radar because I wasn't a LP fan) is MUCH closer to fitting in to my own personal tastes than their previous stuff, which I guess led to a lot of backlash from fans of theirs. I hate to be a bandwagoner given the circumstances, but this is some really good stuff.

Lucumo

I suppose, but you still don't really see the point in doing those things. You just do them because you have to, or because everyone else is doing them, or because it's what you're used to doing.
One doesn't have to do anything, except to die at some point. If it's really bad, you certainly won't get up and will probably starve if you have no one who looks after you. If it's bad, you will at least wash yourself and buy food to avoid that. Working is already not so bad. When you are socializing, you are already doing pretty great (regardless of the circumstances).

Nope, it's called putting on a face. You just do shit because you get use to doing it. It doesn't mean you are any better.
That's what I mean with doing "not so bad". If you can be bothered to put on a face, that's already something.

Top Bottom