• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

zulux21

The style of their last album (that went completely under my radar because I wasn't a LP fan) is MUCH closer to fitting in to my own personal tastes than their previous stuff, which I guess led to a lot of backlash from fans of theirs. I hate to be a bandwagoner given the circumstances, but this is some really good stuff.

mostly it was just still in the first part of the linkin park cycle.

new album comes out - it sucks, it doesn't sound like their old stuff we don't want this.
next album comes out - this is worse than their last one, the last one is actually decent it grew on me.
album after that comes out - this new album sucks but that one two ago was pretty good, no hybrid theory or meteroa but still pretty good.

really I think the singles they chose were some of the worst songs on the CD.

Realeza

Banned
Went to take a nap, then woke up remembering this. I hope his family and friends have the support to go through this awful moments.

YuShtink

Was definitely into Linkin Park when they first hit the scene. I remember seeing them, Taproot, and Alien Ant Farm (lol) at the Electric Factory in Philly for $15 back in 2000. Hybrid Theory was a legit album. I fell away from listening to them with their subsequent releases but I still have a soft spot for tracks like Papercut and With You.

And most importantly Chester always seemed like a really great, personable guy. Every collaboration he did was a big success. People seemed to enjoy working with him. More talented of a singer than their early stuff would lead you to believe too. RIP.

Laieon

A little off topic, but I'm kind surprised that I've seen very little talk about this on my facebook feed. Usually when someone like this dies, my feed is nothing but post about that person. But today, little to nothing..

Complete opposite with my feed. Can't go 2 posts without seeing him mentioned.

Ashhong

I hope this at least brings depression and suicide a bit more to the public. LP were getting a good fanbase again with Heavy so I imagine there is a whole new generation of kids that are fans who will hear this news.

Can everyone link videos and tributes from talk shows or celebrity tweets as they come across them? I don't know why but it alwys makes me feel better when another celeb posts fond memories or condolences

Edit: wtf at his wife's hacker. Wow. How can someone be that fucked up? Unbelievable

Man I was 10 years old when Hybrid Theory came out and it was huge around here. Every single one of my friends had it and I remember thinking the cover was the coolest thing I've seen when I finally got my copy. I'm not a native english speaker and I remember making up fake translations to a few songs on the album to impress my friends lol. I heard it over and over and over again, it's a very important album to me.

RIP and thank you for the memories Chester.

zulux21

“Artists are ppl compelled to bring beauty into a world that can be so dark. makes sense then that artists are always conscious of darkness,” Hayley Williams added on Twitter. “… & maybe at times made more vulnerable by it? i don't know. life can be relentless. heart hurts for Chester's family/band/friends/fans.”

Chance the Rapper also took to social media, tweeting: “RIP Chester. Tragic ending. Condolences his family and friends and Linkin Park 🙏🏾.”

Rihanna took to Instagram to praise the late singer. “😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢 Literally the most impressive talent I've ever seen live!” She captioned a photo of Bennington performing. “Vocal beast! #RIPChester #LinkinPark.”

XLaugKQ.png

source

Qvoth

Just found out, what the fuck
I've been to their live performance once, not the greatest thing ever but I enjoyed it enough

RIP

ZeoVGM

Banned
"Given Up" kicked my ass when that came out. And then it led directly into an album that sounded absolutely nothing like it. And I loved it for doing that.

"The Little Things Give You Away" is one of the best closing tracks to an album, period.

Attrition

Just terrible news. Growing up in Seattle in the 90s I'm pretty use to my musical heroes dying early in one way or another. Kurt, Layne, Dime, The Rev, Chris and now Chester. Fucked up thing to get accustomed to.

I will always remember seeing Linkin Park on October 24th 2000, their Hybrid Theory CD release date, at a place called The Graceland in downtown Seattle. They were an opening act for the Kottonmouth Kings. As I was standing in line waiting to get in, Chester walked out of the front door and went down the street past everyone. It was amazing looking around and seeing no one know who he was or anything. I think he went for a walk to clear his head before the show. I looked around to my friends and said do you know who that was? So awesome.

I've always wished I would have ran up to him and said something.

We made it through the first couple acts and left after Linkin Park played.

Saw them again three months later in January 2001, the first show on their first headlining tour, at the Showbox near Pike Place Market - best place in Seattle to see a concert. Chester blew chunks on the stage from a beastly scream (I think) about halfway through their set and finished like a champ. Taproot opened for them and put on a great show too.

Had not thought about either shows in a while. Happier days.

Wazzy

Banned
I've been upset about this all day. Linkin Park was such a huge part of my life. I bought all of their CD's, purchased a couple shirts, followed their music video releases all the way up until ATS where I still enjoyed their music but not to the degree that I did with HT, Meteora and Reanimation and then just casually followed them throughout the years checking out each album when they released. My first song was Runaway paired with a Final Fantasy VIII AMV and it blew me away how good it was. Chester soon became my favourite singer and I've loved his voice for years. Over time I started appreciating Mike too but Chester had such amazing vocals.

It's crazy to think how much of an impact music can have on people.

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
Man, my buddy and I used to always make fun of New Divide(for Transformers 2, I think?) but I know we both actually enjoyed the song and didn't want to admit it for some dumb reason. Why must talent seemingly so often be accompanied with a tortured mind. Hope he can rest easy now.

Basketball

No wonder everyone kept talking about Linkin Park today

I had a pretty shitty day today too but there is always someone with one even more shittier.
I feel so sorry for his kids and loved ones. Even the idea of taking your life when you have little ones ... boy Chester must have been really troubled. Terrible situation.

I just listened to A Thousand Suns again and I still think it's a very good record. It's the closest Linkin Park came to being experimental and feels like a Kate Bush or maybe sorta Radiohead esque record which was so out of their comfort zone. I'm honestly surprised how well it holds up now and is probably the only one I'll keep returning to in terms of listening to one record. The rest of the discography has great stuff but I think most of their music just doesn't do it for me like it did when I was 14 or 15 and A Thousand Suns might have unknowingly been the very first rock record I took seriously at that age before getting into a lot of other music a year or so later.

Iridescent and The Messenger got to me... he really does have an emotional voice and it's so iconic of their sound. One thing is for sure. If it weren't for Linkin Park, my music discography very well could have been thrown off and for that I will always be in debt to them for eventually leading me to the artists I love and admire today.

zulux21

So shocked and saddened by the news of Chester Bennington's passing. I remember the first time I met Chester. I was in a bad mood backstage and he came into the dressing room and lifted my spirits before I took the stage. Working with Chester and Linkin Park on the song 'Rebellion' was some of the most fun I've had collaborating with another artist. They made me feel right at home when I joined them on stage at the Hollywood Bowl and at the Forum. Our hearts go out to Linkin Park and to Chester's family. Chester Bennington will be missed. -Daron Malakian

EZtvxt5.png

shinedown....sending our thoughts , prayers and love .. To the Bennington and Linkin Park family .... Our community is small ... And this is a crushing blow for such an architect of what modern rock is ... A terrible loss ... It doesn't seem real

some of the other responses I have found

Just got finished listening to Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Brought back a lot of memories from when I was young. The two times I saw them live. Bonding over the albums with friends. My middle-school crush on Chester.

This has honestly hit me harder than any other celebrity death, which surprised me. I guess it's because when I was going through less than pleasant times during my adolescence, I'd listen to their albums and it felt like they were commiserating with me.

I'm so sad that he's gone, but having attempted suicide before I understand the feelings that lead to it and wish him nothing but peace.

Haines

Banned
Ive been at work.

Why would he do such a thing. Do these people not seek help with the money they have or is help not even a reality for them

C4Lukins

This is horrible, I really disliked the band in the same way I disliked NSync, and other pop bands from the time.

All I have to say is do not be the lead singer of STP.

Demoskinos

Ive been at work.

Why would he do such a thing. Do these people not seek help with the money they have or is help not even a reality for them

Money doesn't fix it. Depression is a life long struggle. Also, getting someone who has depression to GET help is a monumental task in of itself. If you're depressed the last thing you WANT is help. The amount of apathy you feel for life, other people just... everything can be overwhelming.

Ennosuke

RIP

Linkin Park was one of my favorite bands. Especially the first two albums were fantastic. I was listening to them all day long.

PaulBizkit

It's crazy. Especially since it's one of the first deaths coming from somebody of "our generation". Super sad :/

Exactly.

I started listening to music when I was 12 (this is 2001). And MTV, at that time, was all about Nu-Metal and some pop groups. And it was all new music: Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, P.O.D., Evanescense, SOAD, etc

NuMetalNight.png

THAT is my generation. And it's all young people that are barely reaching the late 40s in current age.

The first "musician" death that shocked me was Adam Yauch (Beastie Boys). But Chester... man, it's like part of MY past is kind of lost...

Kilvin

Damn, Rest in Peace. :( I remember reading that he's had thoughts in the past due to the fact he was abused as a child, I can't even imagine the pain.

Also, I thought this Tweet I came across was pretty scummy...bothers me...

aSc4Z

Top Bottom