• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

Erv

This is crazy. I'm devastated. Chester loved his fans so much that I feel like he might have left a note saying exactly why he did this. I feel like he would want to give his fans one last message. I'm certain he left his family something. I wonder if something triggered this. Family or wife problems? Was his voice getting worse? Could he not cope with being less popular than he was in the past? So many questions. Rest in peace to one of the greatest to ever do it.

Kevtones

Exactly.

I started listening to music when I was 12 (this is 2001). And MTV, at that time, was all about Nu-Metal and some pop groups. And it was all new music: Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, P.O.D., Evanescense, SOAD, etc

NuMetalNight.png

THAT is my generation. And it's all young people that are barely reaching the late 40s in current age.

The first "musician" death that shocked me was Adam Yauch (Beastie Boys). But Chester... man, it's like part of MY past is kind of lost...

Yeah, as someone so entirely detached from that scene it's hitting in a weird way. Love them or meme them, Linkin Park was a significant cultural touchpoint for a generation.

Aurongel

I'm on PTO from work this week to return home to see my childhood friends. We went driving around and we're sharing nostalgic stories of childhood when we heard the news. This hurts me bad, this hurts me really really bad because I grew up listening to LP since I was in elementary school during the Hybrid Theory years. We played HT as we drove past a lot of the old locations where I'd remember sitting alone after I got out of school listening to LP on my CD player. I still remember all the lyrics and vocal hooks, it was a profound album for me at the time. I spent an entire summer hooked on that thing while playing Counterstrike with friends.

It's probably just the combination of his death coinciding with my return to my hometown that just... wrecks me. I'm using this time to vent here, hence the rambling but this is a really, really painful celebrity death for me.

zulux21

This is crazy. I'm devastated. Chester loved his fans so much that I feel like he might have left a note saying exactly why he did this. I feel like he would want to give his fans one last message. I'm certain he left his family something. I wonder if something triggered this. Family or wife problems? Was his voice getting worse? Could he not cope with being less popular than he was in the past? So many questions. Rest in peace to one of the greatest to ever do it.

it was actually most likely chris cornell's death that was the final trigger.

it hit him hard, he was depressed before that but was getting betterish. they were decently close. Chester has dealt with depression, drugs and a bad past for all his life, it caught up with him.

Chester killing himself on Chris Cornell's birthday via the same method (death by hanging) is unlikely to be a coincidence.

Dynomutt

This one stuck with me today. Same when Phife passed. R.I.P once again and sending condolences to his loved ones. I found a lot of meaning and hope in Chester's music. Depression is heavy. Thank you man.

Erv

it was actually most likely chris cornell's death that was the final trigger.

it hit him hard, he was depressed before that but was getting betterish. they were decently close. Chester has dealt with depression, drugs and a bad past for all his life, it caught up with him.

Chester killing himself on Chris Cornell's birthday via the same method (death by hanging) is unlikely to be a coincidence.
Yeah he was definitely making a statement by doing this on his birthday. 6 kids without a father just like that.

C4Lukins

'Linkin Park has always been the *NSYNC, of my generation when it comes to rock music.

But I never wished this.

It is crazy that someone with so much going for them would choose to die in such a complicated way .

Some ask how a successful millionaire with 6 children would do this.

I have no idea how that happens, I have much less and am mostly content

But the person I most loved in the world took their own life. And so I could reduce it to a selfish act, but obviously they were living in a lot of pain.

So if there is anything to take from this, be kind to your loved ones. I no longer see suicide as a selfish act. It is a person who feels they cannot deal with the next day of their life.

So be sympathetic, and do not treat suicide victims as ass holes. They were not in their right mind when they made that decision.

Ive been at work.

Why would he do such a thing. Do these people not seek help with the money they have or is help not even a reality for them
Having money probably makes it worse, rather than better. He could do anything he wanted and it still didn't help.

Dishwalla

Banned
Was never a Linkin Park fan, when Hybrid Theory dropped I was heavily into punk rock and even deeper into punk by the time Meteora dropped, but this has still been tough to process. R.I.P.

zulux21

Yeah he was definitely making a statement by doing this on his birthday. 6 kids without a father just like that.

I mean if you want to add a bit of salt to the wound you could make it 7.

Christopher Nicholas also lost his godfather.
of note... that happens to be Chris Cornell's son

in other thoughts....

what I've done is rather depressing given the situation
In this farewell
There's no blood, there's no alibi
'Cause I've drawn regret
From the truth of a thousand lies
So let mercy come and wash away
What I've done

I'll face myself to cross out what I've become
Erase myself
And let go of what I've done

Put to rest what you thought of me
While I clean this slate
With the hands of uncertainty
So let mercy come and wash away
What I've done

Erase myself
For what I've done
I start again
And whatever pain may come
Today this ends

I'm forgiving what I've done
Erase myself

Chester's voice was iconic. I can't believe he left us already. I cannot even imagine the demons he must have had to deal with for all of his life to want to commit suicide like this.

I've always enjoyed Linkin Park especially some of their newer albums. I really liked their latest album. RIP

zulux21

My thought as well when I saw he had 6 kids. He was 40 so they can't be that old either... tragedy, RIP

Chester has two children with Elka Brand, Jamie M. born May 12, 1996 and Isaiah D. born November 1998 and adopted by Chester in 2006. He has one child with Samantha, Draven Sebastian born April 19, 2002 and three children with Talinda, Tyler Lee born March 16, 2006 and Lila and Lily born 2011.

so

daTRUballin

I mean if you want to add a bit of salt to the wound you could make it 7.

Christopher Nicholas also lost his godfather.
of note... that happens to be Chris Cornell's son

in other thoughts....

what I've done is rather depressing given the situation

It's so weird. It's like a lot of Linkin Park's songs have a new meaning now after Chester's death. Still can't process everything that happened. :(

zulux21

It's so weird. It's like a lot of Linkin Park's songs have a new meaning after Chester's death. Still can't process everything that happened. :(

well I mean chester has been dealing with issues for a good chunk of his life.
it shouldn't be surprising that his depression leaked into the lyrics even if mike wrote a good chunk of them.

that being said... even the "cheesy" lyrics that people make fun of linkin park hurt right now :/

I also wish I could scream like chester as I can get decently close to his singing voice but I can't touch those screams :/

daTRUballin

well I mean chester has been dealing with issues for a good chunk of his life.
it shouldn't be surprising that his depression leaked into the lyrics even if mike wrote a good chunk of them.

that being said... even the "cheesy" lyrics that people make fun of linkin park hurt right now :/

I also wish I could scream like chester as I can get decently close to his singing voice but I can't touch those screams :/

It's just so tragic. I wish this was all some kind of joke of some sort, and Chester would come out and say "hey guys, I'm still here." But it's real. :/

I've been listening to LP lately, and I listened to their newest album again only a few days ago. Listening to their music will never be the same again knowing that Chester is gone......

zulux21

It's just so tragic. I wish this was all some kind of joke of some sort, and Chester would come out and say "hey guys, I'm still here." But it's real. :/

I've been listening to LP lately, and I also listened to their newest album only a few days ago. Listening to their music will never be the same again knowing that Chester is gone......

Yeah.

earlier in the thread I was thinking this was likely it for LP.

but reading more stuff, listening to old interviews... I think there is a decent chance they put out at least one more CD.

Chester was writing new songs and had 6 of them done. If it was me I would likely want to try to finish them and release them to honor him. I would do it without replacing him having mike cover the vocals as he is a pretty decent singer as well. but we will have to see, I imagine when we get the press release they won't say one way or another if this is it, more that they need to take time to process and grieve.

Skoen

In my younger years I was one of them who used to make fun of Linkin Park fans and their teenage-emo-whatever musical taste as the metal head I was.

15 years later the news of Chesters death and the reasons behind them hit me harder that than all the others. Somehow this is so relatable when I have been struggling with depression and still do since 10 years.

Here and now the lyrics suddenly make sense and I say that as a person who never even once listened to a Linkin Park song by choice (I know the lyrics by heart though considering the not so limited air-time).

Depression is a fucking bitch! :/

RIP Chester

kmax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtoELJo5Bmg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HuiZpNSOT8

Looking back at this interview in retrospect......man.

The negative backlash they've gotten throughout the years for "being sellouts", the negative reception of their work, the cancelled tour, the broken leg, the physical and psychological mayhem associated with having to disappoint people and being unable to do something about it, the tragic loss of a close friend, the continued bullshit directed at said yourself and the people close to you...Topple that with years of battling depression, alcohol and drugs.

Chester was in pain, and as Mike says in the interview, a lot of that was channeled to the new album.

It just makes everything so much clearer. Their music truly was..real. I hope that in the end, most people embrace that fact.

Edit: Added part 2 of the interview. A must watch if you want to have more background about Chester's journey, LP's process etc.

I just don't get why it was so sudden. He seemed perfectly normal all this time. The band didn't suspect that he was entering a downward spiral. Either Chester broke down within a few short hours or he has been planning this for a long time and finally became at peace with committing suicide on Cornell's birthday.

I just don't get why it was so sudden. He seemed perfectly normal all this time. The band didn't suspect that he was entering a downward spiral. Either Chester broke down within a few short hours or he has been planning this for a long time and finally became at peace with committing suicide on Cornell's birthday.
He's been having a lot of outbursts as of late in response to people's reception to their latest album, even telling fans to "stab themselves in the fucking face" so I mean, something must've been broke for a while.

daTRUballin

Yeah.

earlier in the thread I was thinking this was likely it for LP.

but reading more stuff, listening to old interviews... I think there is a decent chance they put out at least one more CD.

Chester was writing new songs and had 6 of them done. If it was me I would likely want to try to finish them and release them to honor him. I would do it without replacing him having mike cover the vocals as he is a pretty decent singer as well. but we will have to see, I imagine when we get the press release they won't say one way or another if this is it, more that they need to take time to process and grieve.

Yeah, hopefully the band still stays around after this. I didn't know that Chester has been writing new songs. I definitely agree that they should keep them for their next album if there will be one. But things definitely won't be the same without Chester now whether they replace him or not.

C4Lukins

Look at Chris Cornell.

Most fans of the the early 90's Grunge era saw him as maybe the most likely to survive that bull shit.

He just finished a Temple of the Dog Tour where they played super stadiums, and Soundgarden had recently released new music. He was at the top of his game.

Despite the dark lyrics and songs, we all thought he had it together.

One day out of thousands, he lost control. That is all it takes when suicide is a consideration. You can pull it together for years, maybe be happy for most of those days. But a bad day or week from a person suffering from depression or their own demons is all it takes. You add potentially addiction to that, and it becomes even more likely.

TCRS

Banned
spotify created a playlist

first song.. One More Light :(

man Linkin Park was such a huge part of early internet culture infused with anime or fan videos with LP playing in the background and whatnot.. brings back so many memories..

As someone who grew up with music and struggles with depression this is the first death of a musician that leaves me heart broken😞

CHC

Yeah, as someone so entirely detached from that scene it's hitting in a weird way. Love them or meme them, Linkin Park was a significant cultural touchpoint for a generation.

Seriously, yes, this is the best way to put it.

I mean shit even like 6 weeks ago this kid at where I volunteer was working in the supply room just playing Linkin Park songs back to back on his phone. He was probably like 21 at the oldest.

At first I was thinking like "lol Linkin Park at your age - c'mon dude!?" but then as it was just song after song I realized they all reminded me of some specific thing. Like, chilling in my friends basement in 6th grade for this one, watching WoW videos for this other one, driving around with my uncle for this next one, and so on.

It was actually really recent but that was kind of when I realized I'm 100% cool with them and their legacy, despite at no point in my life being an actual fan.

A little off topic, but I'm kind surprised that I've seen very little talk about this on my facebook feed. Usually when someone like this dies, my feed is nothing but post about that person. But today, little to nothing. Me and a couple friends are the only ones that posted about it. Kinda makes me angry. I wonder if people are embarrassed to admit they listen to Linkin Park. But I do have quite a few of the "Metal head bros" on FB. I may of not listened to them all that much as I grew up, but the first two albums were HUGE for me. I'll always like this band because of that.
Weirdly I've experienced the opposite. Lots of people I never would have expected to have liked LP (and especially back in the day) being really fucking sad about this.

Truant

I remember making fun of the dudes in my class in high school for listening to LP back when their first album came our, must be 15-16 years ago.

Realized that I never actually listened to them, so I'm going though Hybrid Theory right now. Chester is by far the best part, as the edgy white guy rapping is cringetown.

RIP to Chester. My thoughts go out to his kids.

zulux21

Weirdly I've experienced the opposite. Lots of people I never would have expected to have liked LP (and especially back in the day) being really fucking sad about this.

most of my friends didn't seem to care much. got a few that's sad when I told them but no one seemed all that bothered.

one friend made a bad joke at me
" Seems the crawling in my skin jokes came true?"

though I think they forgot I was a big linkin park fan (not that it was an in good taste joke anyways but still)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remember making fun of the dudes in my class in high school for listening to LP back when their first album came our, must be 15-16 years ago.

Realized that I never actually listened to them, so I'm going though Hybrid Theory right now. Chester is by far the best part, as the edgy white guy rapping is cringetown.

I don't think I've ever heard someone describe Mike Shinoda as either white or edgy. I don't think that's the vibe he's going for.

Realeza

Banned
most of my friends didn't seem to care much. got a few that's sad when I told them but no one seemed all that bothered.

one friend made a bad joke at me
" Seems the crawling in my skin jokes came true?"

though I think they forgot I was a big linkin park fan (not that it was an in good taste joke anyways but still)

Speaks bad of you to have shit friends like that.

zulux21

I prefer mike to most actual rap :p

that being said the message in hands held high is solid, so perhaps you would prefer that one more.

also from their new album I highly recommend giving one more light (live version linked) a listen.

Speaks bad of you to have shit friends like that.

and it speaks bad of you to make rash statements about others based on a single comment. It was a joke in bad taste, but not something truly horrible. obviously that single line makes him a shit friend and reflects poorly on me though. It's not possible at all that after that bad taste joke we could have an actual conversation and he could help me with my sadness over the loss of Chester.

the_id

Truly sad news and to know that he was suffering as a result of sexual abuse even more sad. I didn't know that I thought I was a hardcore Linkin Park fan.

Grew up to Linkin Park but have since moved on but their music will still stick to my head.

Giruvegan

Was a huge fan in their early days.
The first two albums, especially Hybrid Theory, will always have a place in my heart.
I listened to it today and felt pretty bummed.

Rest in Peace.
Condolences to his friends, family, and the band.

jackal27

Banned
I was literally just thinking yesterday morning about how his music spoke about mental illness in a way that was pretty unheard of in popular music. It's no wonder that it resonated with so many young teens struggling with depression, anxiety, anger, etc including myself.

I really hate that mental illness stole another one. I haven't listened to their music in years, but this really affected me in deep way today. Still thankful for all the ways Chester gave me language to describe what no one else was wanted to talk about when I was a kid.

ChazGW7

Linkin Park were the defining band of my childhood. I was 9 years old when Meteora came out and I heard Numb for the first time by coincidence when I was flicking through music channels and Kerrang were playing it, completely changing my perspective of music from that point onwards.

This made me go back and discover Hybrid Theory, and I fell in love with it just like I did with Meteora. Chester's vocals were overflowing with passion and emotion, pulling you into the music and the energy.

Minutes to Midnight, A Thousand Suns & Living Things were all albums I fell in love with over the years, A Thousand Suns especially. That album got me through some dark moments and I will forever be grateful to Chester and the rest for giving me that gift of light in a dark time.

Im struggling to believe that there will be no more LP.

Rest in Peace Chester. Thank you so much for everything.

KeRaSh

Man this is hitting me harder than I thought it would. Had a night to process this and I'm really sad. I can't even start to imagine how his family, friends and the band feel right now.

Just thinking about what his final moments must have felt like... What went through his head... I can't.

I really wanted to see them live in June but couldn't because I left for my vacation the same day they played. Now I will never get another chance to hear him perform live.
I've been to multiple Linkin Park concerts and even got into a meet and greet with them.
I thought there would be another chance to see them live...

That is why I live in the present. I want to buy something (financially reasonable)? I buy it. I want to travel somewhere? I plan a trip. I want to eat something? Fuck it. Eat it and run an extra mile the next day.

Life is way too short to not enjoy every second of it. I learned that during the last few years when my wife and I lost several family members.

It feels so incredibly unreal but at the same time more real than any other celebrity death in my life.

janoDX

I remember Chester.
I remember my first exposure to him.
We were playing a show in Pittsburgh, I think, (location doesn't really matter) and this new band, who's first hit single "One Step Closer", was ALL OVER the airwaves already, called Linkin Park, were opening for us. I remember thinking, "I wonder of they're from Chicago? "linkin' park" and all..."

I remember sitting in our dressing room and hearing that song start during their set. It drew me out of the dressing room and I stood side stage and watched, in awe of his ferocity, precision, and power. I walked back to the dressing room and said to the guys, "Uh oh...we'd better step up our game tonight, these guys are GOOD!"

I remember when the band, Warner Bros. Records label mates, came to say hello when we were shooting our music video for Prayer, also the same day I met the woman who was to become the love of my life...Lena.

I remember sharing a stage with them on Ozzfest, and although they were originally met with some boos and jeers by the often less than open minded metal crowd, Chester and Co. were unfazed, and mid-way through that tour, they had won the crowd over, and were kicking ass and taking names.

I remember doing a side run together at that time, and Chester caught me kind of making fun of him while I was getting some clothes from under the bus. I had my own little version of "Crawling" where I sung the opening line of the verse with my own lyric (JOKINGLY), "I don't know why I have to sing like such a pussy...it hurts me...my pussy...", not knowing that he was standing directly behind me listening!!!
I turned around and noticed he was there and turned white.
"Um...sorry brother! I didn't mean anything by it! I have mad respect for you! Just playing around!!", I said. To which he responded, "We'll at least I actually sing, not just make noises like Oooh wah ah ah ah and ugh ugh!!! (laughing)."
"You got me brother...", I said laughing, "much love".

I remember when us, Papa Roach, and Linkin Park were all on a chartered jet together headed to The World Famous KROQ acoustic christmas show, or twisted acoustic christmas show, or weenie roast, or SOMETHING, and it was basically a contest of who could be the loudest, most drunk, and most obnoxious at the time...lol, and Chester and Jacoby were trying to outdo each other each minute, with me playing the part of the grumpy old man, trying to get some sleep in my seat, unsuccessfully, because Chester and Jacoby kept accosting me every 5 minutes trying to get me to join in...lol!!
I remember when I met his family, his children, and saw what a loving father he was, and how much he adored them.

I remember when they got the lead track on the Transformers soundtrack (I was a little jealous, admittedly...lol), I heard the track, saw its copious usage in the film and said, "OK..THIS IS THE GAME CHANGER. They will now go from being nu-metal sensations, to global superstars."...and they DID.

I remember him reaching out to me right after our performance of "The Sound of Silence" on Conan O'Brien Presents: Team Coco.

He said, "Dude! That was fucking amazing!!! I had no idea you could sing like that!!! Why don't you sing that way more often???!!"

I was humbled.

I remember talking to him just recently, right after the new record came out, and I told him that I hoped he didn't mind me saying how proud of him I was. That it took great courage to break new ground stylistically for the band, and that the song ("heavy") was a HUGE HOOK, and to pay no mind to the idiots out there who didn't get it.

AND I will always remember when I first heard of his passing today.

Lena and my son Sam were swimming outside, and the text chain began between my brothers in Disturbed and I about the horrible news. I remember feeling the hot stinging tears streaming down my face as I watched my wife and son playing, with a greater appreciation for them, and my life, than ever...SHOCKED, and in disbelief of what I had just been told.

I remember Chester Charles Bennington....

...I cherished and admired him...

...and for all the reasons I listed above, and many more...

...I will never forget him.

-David Draiman, Disturbed

Top Bottom