• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

I went through it and the best way i could describe it is this: Picture how you feel when someone you love breaks up with you. That down you get right after. Now picture waking up like that every morning of every day and going though every day that way for months and years.

I completely understand him. At one point, you just get fed up of feeling like shit.

edit: Also, drinking just makes the downs worse which is why i stopped drinking. You feel great when youre smashed but the day after is awful.

Anyway this sucks cause i still listen to their old albums. RIP. If you have depression, get help.

This description comes very close, indeed!
You know that something's wrong, you might even know how to behave different but you can't! You're watching yourself sinking into this emotional void and there is nothing you can do about it. To make matters worse, you absorb all the positive energy your loved ones direct at you like a fucking black hole without any effect on your well-being.

If you ask me, the last one is the crucial part.
While people are more akin to understand a lonely person commiting suicide, they're surprised if someone with family and good friends does it. But to someone afflicted with depression, there is but little difference between loneliness and being loved, because the love just doesn't get through to you! In the worst case scenario, you're just feeling worse because you think you're a burden to the people who care about you.

Sorry for all the text, it really isn't easy to cut it short when you try to describe what's going on in a depressed person's mind.

myco666

This is probably the first celebrity death that actually makes me emotional. LP was such a big part of my life growing up and worked as a gateway for heavier music. Remember how excited I was for Meteora release and how I listened that on repeat. Case is all fucked up due to me taking it everywhere.

Rest in peace Chester.

Garlador

I still can't reasonably explain why "With You" is my favorite song of all time, even as I acknowledge it's not the easiest song of theirs to listen to, wasn't their most popular song by far, and I tend to gravitate towards songs with a simpler musical flow.

But it's still my favorite, and like most of their songs, the lyrics really do have a levity to them now given recent events...
No, no matter how far we've come
I can't wait to see tomorrow
No matter how far we've come
I can't wait to see tomorrow
With you

PaulBizkit

Thanks!

It´s quite ironic that a band that I found as teenage-angst crap when young is something that I can relate to when I´m 30. Funny how the world works sometimes XD

Because their music is great for angst channeling. It's like they get angry and mad for you, then the song ends and you feel you "told" somebody about your problems (which is always good, talking about your problems is very effective).

Of course, it's not like you listen to a song and you're cured. But it helps a lot to have a band like that along the way.

For example, I love Limp Bizkit because it helps me channeling the fuck-the-world attitude and the feeling of introspection.

KeRaSh

I still can't reasonably explain why "With You" is my favorite song of all time, even as I acknowledge it's not the easiest song of theirs to listen to, wasn't their most popular song by far, and I tend to gravitate towards songs with a simpler musical flow.

But it's still my favorite, and like most of their songs, the lyrics really do have a levity to them now given recent events...

I loooove "With You". Both the original and the Reanimation version.
Definitely one of my favorite LP songs.

Wiped89

I loved Linkin Park growing up so this is a massive shock.

I feel really guilty that it has taken his death to make me get round to listening to the new album. HOLY SHIT it's so good! Reminds me of new Fall Out Boy (I love new FOB).

When I revisited Hybrid Theory for the first time in years yesterday, "With You" is the song that broke me. Definitely a favorite of mine as well.

It's times like these that I really appreciate gaf. I don't really know anyone in my personal life that was connected to LP and its really helped me cope to express my feelings on here with many others.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to go through all of their albums after Meteora because I never fairly gave them a chance. I am listening to "Leave Out All The Rest" from Minutes to Midnight and the lyrics are slaying me. Knowing now what he was going through (which I had no idea about) really makes most of these songs powerful and incredibly sad.

Holy sh*t I just learned about this in a YouTube video, I shouted at that announcement.
I thought the guy did a vocal cover of Chester as a simple homage to his career but then he dropped the bomb that Chester had died...

R.I.P Chester.

Haruko

With You is my favorite of the first 3 albums. It sounded great live, too.

Waiting For The End was what supplanted it as overall favorite for me.

Haruko

Time for a new phone background...

583gPLy.jpg

Con Con

6th grade, my best friend introduced me to hybrid theory. What an album. Then along came meteora, and I remember listening to those tracks while playing halo 2.

I remember getting hyped out of my mind for minutes to midnight. "Leave out all the rest" is a tear jerker now..

"When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed
And don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest"

I lost a friend today. Rest in peace Chester. Thoughts to your friends and family

It's scary to think that depression can come in such a form that having a family and millions of people all over the world who love you and the music you created isn't enough to keep you here and relieve the pain you currently feel. I've suffered from long-term crippling depression but what he must've been going through is hard for me to even imagine. Such a shame.

LP and Eminem were the first artists I listened to when I started discovering music for myself. 10 years old riding around on my bike with a CD player in my pocket blasting Hybrid Theory, thinking I was the shit. Good memories.

effzee

Wow this is horrible. I used to love love LP and even though most of their music is about depression, rage, and angst, I never once thought it could be coming from such a personal place.

There is now talk about him being abused? What is this about?

Sai-kun

Banned
Wow this is horrible. I used to love love LP and even though most of their music is about depression, rage, and angst, I never once thought it could be coming from such a personal place.

There is now talk about him being abused? What is this about?

He was sexually abused as a kid by what I think was a friend of the family.

Hybrid Theory was really important for my teen years. So many shitty moments, and the pain was eased when I just listened to their music. I'm really thankful. Music is a powerful thing, and I'm sure many people are hurting just like me and I hope you all feel better soon too.

Man I had no idea he sang for Stone Temple Pilots for a bit.

Also while I kinda just stopped listening to them a while back, I have to give him and Linkin Park the utmost respect for continually evolving their sound and trying new things. You can definitely tell they loved making music and experimenting. It would've been easy to just keep pumping out the same kind of stuff and making money.

The music world lost another very talented person yesterday. Linkin Park was very instrumental in my elementary/middle school years.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
He was sexually abused as a kid by what I think was a friend of the family.

KoRn's Jonathan Davis was abused as a child. It's very sad and I'm glad there's people out there who raise awareness and encourage people to tell someone. I wonder sometimes because of their fame. He had money to pay for professional help. I think he could have seen a psychologist/therapist on a daily basis if not hire one to go on tour with him.

_Ryo_

Someone hacked there account and was posting some really fucked up shit. Like

"I guess now's the time to say it but I was cheating on Chester with Mike Shinoda"

"Chester didn't die from hanging, he was dead before, I have proof"

It was a troll hacker and the posts were deleted.

Pure fucking scum.

that's real shitty

Garlador

It really is shocking how some people can disconnect from their humanity to hack the account of a grieving wife and kick their whole family while they're down, to know that they can make them suffer even more.

We need better cyber security laws to help criminalize monsters like that.

Condolences to her and her family. Nobody should have to deal with the loss of a spouse so publicly and also deal with inhumane sociopaths at the same time.

RDreamer

Linkin Park was so huge for me in middle school. I played the fuck out of Hybrid Theory and would probably still consider it a top 10 or 20 album for me. I remember being so hyped for Meteora and loving that, too. Listened to that every day on the way to school for a long time. Didn't get into the albums after that until far after they were released and not quite as much.

First thing I put on after hearing about this was Meteora. Listened to The Hunting Party yesterday and I really liked that one, too. Had Hybrid Theory on this morning and now Minutes to Midnight today.

Chester always seemed like such a great, down to earth guy from what I remember. I saw that interview people were posting earlier and it seems like even as the years passed he was still that same guy. The music world is going to miss him.

Van

Is there a Apple Music playlist someone has made? I'm glad I got to see them with AF1 thirty seconds to mars in tampa:( was my first big concert

I've been suicidal when I was younger and even recently at the age of 26 but LP has always helped me...shit I used to listen to Robot Boy from A Thousand Suns it helped me so much

"You say you're not gonna fight
Cause no one will fight for you
And you think there's not enough love
And no one to give it to
And you're sure you've hurt for so long
You've got nothing left to lose
So you say you're not gonna fight
Cause no one will fight for you"

Was exactly how I felt I felt hurt, lonely and that no one cared

But just hearing Chester singing that...it felt like he was singing it to me personally the whole band harmonising "Just hold on, the weight of the world will give you the strength to go" making me think this will pass I will go and become stronger

I know ATS is an overlooked album hell I think it's underrated it's my third favourite album behind Meteora and Hybrid Theory

Thank you Chester and thank you Linkin Park for everything and for giving me a chance...

oneHeero

:(
I'm hurting today. Listened to Meteora yesterday and it was as amazing as it was for me when I first heard it. Anyone remember My December? Cant wait to listen to Reanimation.

Anyone recall that the bands name was actually Hybrid Theory and changed it to LP or am I thinking of it wrong?

Niks

chesterbennington-1500574299-640x427.jpg

When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed
Don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest

Realeza

Banned
It will take some time for me to go back and listen LP stuff. I was playing their music almost every day before the incident, getting myself pumped up for their concert in October.

This description comes very close, indeed!
You know that something's wrong, you might even know how to behave different but you can't! You're watching yourself sinking into this emotional void and there is nothing you can do about it. To make matters worse, you absorb all the positive energy your loved ones direct at you like a fucking black hole without any effect on your well-being.

If you ask me, the last one is the crucial part.
While people are more akin to understand a lonely person commiting suicide, they're surprised if someone with family and good friends does it. But to someone afflicted with depression, there is but little difference between loneliness and being loved, because the love just doesn't get through to you! In the worst case scenario, you're just feeling worse because you think you're a burden to the people who care about you.

Sorry for all the text, it really isn't easy to cut it short when you try to describe what's going on in a depressed person's mind.

Yep, honestly being loved didnt help me one bit. Help did.

edit: or maybe it did cause i am alive. I can imagine people with no family or support having it that much harder. I guess the love does help, but its not a solution to anything.

GodofWine

Haven't listened to them in a long while, but I cranked them up while lifting last night, was a weird workout going from hyped to somber over and over...I guess thats about right.

rip

Top Bottom