• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

Haruko

I bought two tickets to the Detroit show because on the 1% chance they continue, I'm not fucking missing it for anything

I mean you are free to read into things how ever you want.

I mean chester has dealt with depression most of this life and you can really go through any of the CDs and find quite a few lines that are hauntingly fitting for the current situation.

I'm personally of the opinion that if chris cornell didn't kill himself, chester would also be alive right now.

given that he killed himself after the album was finished, there is no possible way that it was a suicide note. The lyrics just fit well because chester was decently suicidal at the start of making the album but by his admission in the interviews was in a much better place after working on the album. He wanted to pour those feelings into the album, but it wasn't intended to be a suicide note. HE didn't write the songs himself, and he only helped on two of the songs. Neither of which were Heavy or One more light.

but alas that is just my interpretation of the events.
Maybe. Only one person could settle this unfortunately :(

LycanXIII

I'm personally of the opinion that if chris cornell didn't kill himself, chester would also be alive right now.

I feel the same way. I feel that Cornell's birthday was the tipping point, if there was more time between the events, I feel that Chester could have healed.

I bought tickets to their show this August, but show or not, it's a ticket I'll always keep with the album.

zulux21

I mean we could have a lot of missing information right now.
there could easily be a suicide note we don't know about.
there could be texts he sent out, or recordings on his computer.
heck at this point we haven't even had an investigation to confirm it was suicide and that there wasn't any foul play. I mean it's most likely suicide but that hasn't been definitively proven yet.

I mean it's unlikely that we will fully learn what drove him to do this. After Chris Cornell died though he did say that he couldn't imagine living in a world without him though.

I feel the same way. I feel that Cornell's birthday was the tipping point, if there was more time between the events, I feel that Chester could have healed.

I bought tickets to their show this August, but show or not, it's a ticket I'll always keep with the album.

the timeline of events that I have been able to find from interviews and what not.

2015 sucked for chester he was hurt and extremely depressed
2016 was a little better but he was still very fuck this world and fuck everyone but he started working on the new album with his friends and started feeling better again.
2017 he was feeling quite a bit better, was a decent year so far and then one of his good friends who had suffered through his life in similar ways to chester killed himself. it wouldn't be surprising if they kept in touch and supported each other given their similar history with drugs and depression. His friends know that this will likely be a trigger and keep him close and comfort him. Chester puts on a brave face and seems to be getting better again but the death of his friend keeps eating away at him. his birthday comes, and everything he was burying comes all at once. All that pain from the past few years, the pain of losing a friend overwhelmed him, became unbearable and then.. :(

Strakt

I mean we could have a lot of missing information right now.
there could easily be a suicide note we don't know about.
there could be texts he sent out, or recordings on his computer.
heck at this point we haven't even had an investigation to confirm it was suicide and that there wasn't any foul play. I mean it's most likely suicide but that hasn't been definitively proven yet.

I mean it's unlikely that we will fully learn what drove him to do this. After Chris Cornell died though he did say that he couldn't imagine living in a world without him though.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...on-cause-of-death-hanging-coroner-linkin-park

Was posted today; no suicide note found and half-empty bottle of alcohol was found in the room, but no drugs.

D23

man this still bummed me out today!! ive listen nothing but LP since yesterday! every single songs has a different meanings now.

Wazzy

Banned

It's very obvious Chris Cornells death is what pushed him over the edge, especially with the suicide being on Chris's birthday and also replicating how he went. The album was not a suicide note and we shouldn't be labeling it that way. Just listen to the interviews about how hard Chester was taking his death.

zulux21

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...on-cause-of-death-hanging-coroner-linkin-park

Was posted today; no suicide note found and half-empty bottle of alcohol was found in the room, but no drugs.

ah. well that is one thing. just because there wasn't a note though doesn't mean there wasn't a suicide video on the computer saying goodbye to those he loved ect.

even if there is though we will likely never see or hear anything about it.

I will again say though, I never really questioned the suicide, just that officially we hadn't had any real ruling on stuff yet that I had known about.

zulux21

I was listening to My December just a few minutes ago... man that song hit me in the feels right now...

I've always liked my decemeber. always was a shame the original song only ended up as a bonus in some countries instead of actually on hybrid theory.

tomtom94

ah. well that is one thing. just because there wasn't a note though doesn't mean there wasn't a suicide video on the computer saying goodbye to those he loved ect.
Suicide notes are extremely rare, despite what the media would have you believe. Mainly because suicide is an impulsive act and writing a note gives you longer to pull back from the edge.

oneHeero

I've always liked my decemeber. always was a shame the original song only ended up as a bonus in some countries instead of actually on hybrid theory.

I never saw a response to my question but maybe you remember since you reference My December. Do you recall that LP was actually Hybrid Theory until they changed their name to LP or am I wrong?

zulux21

I never saw a response to my question but maybe you remember since you reference My December. Do you recall that LP was actually Hybrid Theory until they changed their name to LP or am I wrong?

yeah.

they were Xero from 1996-1999 and then breifly after chester joined they called themselves hyrbid theory in 1999 before changing their name to linkin park.

whole story from wikipedia :p
Linkin Park was founded by three high school friends: Mike Shinoda, Rob Bourdon, and Brad Delson.[20] The three attended Agoura High School in Agoura Hills, California, a suburb of Los Angeles. After graduating from high school, the three began to take their musical interests more seriously, recruiting Joe Hahn, Dave "Phoenix" Farrell, and Mark Wakefield to perform in their band, Xero. Though limited in resources, the band began recording and producing songs within Shinoda's makeshift bedroom studio in 1996, resulting in a four-track demo tape, entitled Xero.[20][21] Tensions and frustration within the band grew however after they failed to land a record deal.[20] The lack of success and stalemate in progress prompted Wakefield, at that time the band's vocalist, to leave the band in search of other projects.[20][21] Farrell also left to tour with Tasty Snax, a Christian punk and ska band.[22][23]

After spending a considerable time searching for Wakefield's replacement, Xero recruited Arizona vocalist Chester Bennington, who was recommended by Jeff Blue, the vice president of Zomba Music in March 1999.[24][25] Bennington, formerly of a post-grunge band by the name of Grey Daze, became a standout among applicants because of the dynamic in his singing style.[20] The band then agreed on changing its name from Xero to Hybrid Theory; the newborn vocal chemistry between Shinoda and Bennington helped revive the band, inciting them to work on new material.[20] In 1999 the band released a self-titled extended play, which they circulated across internet chat-rooms and forums with the help of an online 'street team'.[26][27] The band's renaissance culminated with a change in name; from Hybrid Theory, the band once again changed its name, this time to Linkin Park, a play on and homage to Santa Monica's Lincoln Park.[20] The band initially wanted to use the name "Lincoln Park", however they changed it to "Linkin" to acquire the internet domain "linkinpark.com".[28] The band still struggled to sign a record deal. Linkin Park turned to Jeff Blue for additional help after facing numerous rejections from several major record labels. After failing to catch Warner Bros. Records on three previous reviews, Jeff Blue, now the vice president of Warner Bros. Records, helped the band sign a deal with the company in 1999. The band released its breakthrough album, Hybrid Theory, the following year.

Strakt

DFSoZaMUQAA1Oo3.jpg:large

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/21/linkin-park-cancels-one-more-light-tour-chester-bennington-suicide/

D23

"Update from the Tour -
”We are incredibly saddened to hear about the passing of Chester Bennington. The Linkin Park One More Light North American Tour has been canceled and refunds are available at point of purchase. Our thoughts go out to all those affected.""

zulux21

The people. Believe me, the people know every single lyric, if something and if they want to do this tour, have the people sing Chester's lines.

beyond that if you are going for the honor him route you might be able to get a ton of guest musicians that want to join in.

It does make me wonder a bit what a Trent Reznor and linkin park mesh up would be like.

I mean we know what it sounds like if chester tried to do Trent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsS_cxv33R4

but not really sure what it would sound like if Trent teamed up with LP.

but I mean when you boil down to it.
you can't replace chester, all you could possibly do is take the band in a different direction if you wanted to continue.

not surprising.

I imagine even if someone like Mike wanted to throw himself into the music the whole band didn't want to and there is no way they would go ahead with anything the whole band didn't agree to.

LycanXIII

Tour canceled. Let's see how I get a refund.

Where did you order them from?

If Ticketmaster. com:

What happens if my event is canceled?
Canceled events are tough, but at least refunds are easy.

If you bought tickets online or over the phone, you won’t need to do a thing. We’ll let you know the event is canceled and automatically refund your order (except UPS fees) to the same card used for purchase. All refunds should be received within 7-10 business days after we learn the event is canceled.

Note: postponed or rescheduled events are handled differently.

Realeza

Banned
Just got the email too. This is depressing.

"We are incredibly saddened to hear about the passing of Chester Bennington. The Linkin Park One More Light North American Tour has been canceled and refunds are available at point of purchase. Our thoughts go out to all those affected."

zulux21

Matt posted too.

KXmw3TD.png

Even Tom, but no Mark.

qYUCCzC.png

ah I was only checking twitter (and it's possible I missed stuff)

I still find it a little weird that the other headlining band didn't say anything as a band though.

from the first response it looks like the lead singer of green day also said something on instagram as he didn't on twitter.

Was this posted? Pretty good article from BuzzFeed:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hanifabdur...lped-us-live?utm_term=.ekxBxWkjvO#.nrGDMeRwbm

It is, perhaps, that Chester Bennington had a voice that sounded like a knife crying out with the delight and agony of being sharpened. It is that the first words on Hybrid Theory are “Why does it feel like night today?” in the song “Papercut,” and then the chorus says, “It’s like a whirlwind inside of my head,” and it was a whirlwind inside of my own. It is that my pals maybe made it through a year or two that they might not have otherwise because Linkin Park, and specifically Bennington, kicked in the door to our respective darknesses not to spark a light, but to sit with us for a while.

LycanXIII

ah I was only checking twitter (and it's possible I missed stuff)

I still find it a little weird that the other headlining band didn't say anything as a band though.

from the first response it looks like the lead singer of green day also said something on instagram as he didn't on twitter.

Billie Joe posted a pic with:

"i've met Chester a couple times. he was very kind and also very smart. and one hell of a singer. mental health and drug addiction are really complex issues. but just know you are not alone. rest in peace Chester. you will be missed .. suicide prevention hotline: +1 (844) 540-5889"

The character limit on Twitter hurts with long posts.

zulux21

Billie Joe posted a pic with:

"i've met Chester a couple times. he was very kind and also very smart. and one hell of a singer. mental health and drug addiction are really complex issues. but just know you are not alone. rest in peace Chester. you will be missed .. suicide prevention hotline: +1 (844) 540-5889"

The character limit on Twitter hurts with long posts.

yeah I can get the character limit can be an issue, that is why most people just post the first bit of a long post and a link to the whole post

Ashhong

Not going to lie, I was looking forward to a concert where the crowd sings Chester's line. What a great way to honor his memory. That being said, I 100% understand that the band wouldn't be up for it.

Cancellation of the tour is heartbreaking, like the initial news, but inevitable IMO. Almost everything on One More Light is Chester-led, so it's nigh on impossible to go on tour without him. I think Mike might continue to make music, with Fort Minor and so on, but for now the band needs time to grieve like the fans.

Great to see so many entities honouring Chester though, with the images and homages. Made an LP playlist earlier and the memories came flooding back.

LP literally was my teenage years. Going to miss them.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have always found it funny how music and lyrics have a way of sticking with you. I just randomly put on Faint, I haven't heard this song in what probably has to be close to 10 years, and I was singing along like I have been bumping to this song all week.

RIP Chester.

Haruko

I was wearing my One More Light Pop-up store Tiger shirt yesterday, when I heard the news that Chester died.

NFD1rjM.png

I think i'm going to get it as a back tattoo, but maybe with Chester's wrist flames added to the tiger's fore legs.

I'm on vacation up in MN and was in the Mall of America and picked up a copy of HT on vinyl, it was the only LP album they had in stock and I was really happy to get the last copy and will listen to it fondly when I get back home. I am saddened by the news and my condolences to his family and everyone he has touched in one way or another.

Rmagnus

Banned
Mental health needs more focus world wide. I think elementary school should start highlighting mental health and let kids know more about it. More awareness is always good.

Rest in Peace, like many I love the first three albums.

zulux21

Mental health needs more focus world wide. I think elementary school should start highlighting mental health and let kids know more about it. More awareness is always good.

Rest in Peace, like many I love the first three albums.

more so we need to get rid of the stigma that it's weak or bad to go see a psychologist.

I am not the most sympathetic person and while I will be there for a friend, I can't actually be emotional support for someone like someone hurting from depression would need. so the best I can do is tell them repeatedly they should go see a psychologist and that it doesn't mean they are weak, or bad, just that they need help.

lawnchair

Banned
Now I wonder if all the "edgy" lyrics were a call for help.

Seriously, RIP Chester, I still love the early Linking Park.

maybe it was honesty instead of just "edginess", huh? so many people didn't think about that before mocking this dude and his lyrics for years.

"crawling in my skin these wounds they will not heal"

'lol edgy bro'

*kills self

'oh'

Top Bottom