• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

Toparaman

Banned
LP was my favorite band in 6th grade, and I still think they had some songs that are very tightly written. Those first two albums aren't pretentious about angst; the lyrics are simple and plain, and I like that kind of honesty in my music. I never felt like LP deserved to be lumped in with the rest of the nu-metal dreck. Their music seemed to come from a more honest place, free of the tortured-rockstar posturing of Korn or tough-guy posturing of Limp Bizkit.

zulux21

Flashbacks to teenage me listening to "New Divide" on end.

Rest in peace.

I kind of wish I had flashbacks like you guys. I don't think there has ever been a point in the last 15 years though that I didn't put linkin park on at some point to listen to them.

they are by far my most listen discography and thus there is only one song that gives me any sort of flashback. What I've done... and that is only because the day the single dropped I was coding in a lab and played it on repeat like 150 times in a row and by the end knew every single beat in that song. The rest have just been with me through out my life aside from a select few tracks I just don't like
wretches and kings.... bleh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er-TinIKvCw

though it's decently unique sounding so I am sure there are people that love it.

most of the tracks that were heavy on rap I didn't like.
heck after extracting my CD to my PC I removed like the last two minutes of guilty all the same. Right before Rakim comes in is actually a fine stopping point for the song and his stuff is by far my least favorite part of the song so... yeah just removed it and enjoyed the song without him lol.

Strakt

6MffNjJ.jpg

LycanXIII

I'm tempted to go to the venue the night the concert was supposed to take place and just play their music and have a vigil of sorts.

LycanXIII

Almost all of my friends on Spotify are listening to Linkin Park right now.

It's not just them.

In the wake of Chester Bennington's death on Thursday (July 20), sales of his band Linkin Park’s music grew tremendously, according to Nielsen Music. Based on initial U.S. sales reports for July 20, the combined sales of Linkin Park’s catalog of albums and songs increased by 5,332 percent (as compared to sales on July 19).

On July 20, the band’s albums sold 21,000 copies (up from less than 1,000 on July 19), while their collected songs sold 90,000 downloads (up from 2,000 the previous day).

In total, the act’s albums and songs sold 111,000 copies on July 20 (versus 2,000 the day previous) -- a gain of 5,332 percent.

The group’s best-selling album on July 20 was its most recent studio album, One More Light, which sold more than 6,000 copies that day (up from a negligible figure on the day previous). The set, which was released in May, debuted atop the Billboard 200 albums chart, granting the act its sixth chart-topper.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...e-chester-bennington-death?utm_source=twitter

I kind of wish I had flashbacks like you guys. I don't think there has ever been a point in the last 15 years though that I didn't put linkin park on at some point to listen to them.

they are by far my most listen discography and thus there is only one song that gives me any sort of flashback. What I've done... and that is only because the day the single dropped I was coding in a lab and played it on repeat like 150 times in a row and by the end knew every single beat in that song. The rest have just been with me through out my life aside from a select few tracks I just don't like
wretches and kings.... bleh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er-TinIKvCw

though it's decently unique sounding so I am sure there are people that love it.
It's my favorite tune off that album :p

kaskade

Someone played In the End on my local bar's jukebox tonight and everyone started singing it. It was a beautiful thing. It kind sucks though because now I just feel sad whenever I hear one of their songs when before I would've just been like fuck yeah, Linkin Park. This one is going to take a while to get over :(

Fuck man just listening to their songs. It's Chester singing out for help and what his going through.
As for that interview, I can kinda relate that whenever you have nothing to do.
The mind can really fuck up yourself.

_Ryo_

I havent slept at all since the news. I think I am just now accepting that its real andI wont wake up from the nightmare. It hurts so much and the pain is irreconcilable. Never have I felt this way about a celeberty death. I cant listen to any LP song,or any song that reminds me of LP without immediately being brought to tears.

https://youtu.be/yZIummTz9mM

No song has really helped me get through this more than this. I remember this being one of my favorites from Minutes to Midnight to begin with but the words here just seem so beautiful as a final message from Chester.

When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed
And don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest

Neith

Banned
It's too bad about his kids. I hope they can get on well with life.

Does anyone think the critical bashing of the new album played a part in this? It's never really talked about, but I think the idea that critics never liked the band much weighed on him. I can't say I was a huge fan, but I liked a couple songs.

Jezbollah

It's too bad about his kids. I hope they can get on well with life.

Does anyone think the critical bashing of the new album played a part in this? It's never really talked about, but I think the idea that critics never liked the band much weighed on him. I can't say I was a huge fan, but I liked a couple songs.

If it played a part, it would be a very minor one.

This is all about someone who couldn't face the world after the death of someone very close to him.

Neith

Banned
If it played a part, it would be a very minor one.

This is all about someone who couldn't face the world after the death of someone very close to him.

Hmm, IDK. he has inner demons that went far beyond Cornell if you ask me. Cornell was certainly the tipping point, but Chester seems to have many other issues.

gimmmick

After a day and a half of listening to linkin park albums on Spotify, I'm really gratefully to have saw them live in concert back in 2003 when they toured with Metallica on the summer sanitarium tour. Hybrid theory might have gotten the most airplay back when I was a junior in HS but Meteora takes the cake as truer best album.

Can we stop the speculation on the man's private life and how it impacted his mindset leading up to this, please? Literally none of us are qualified to comment or voice an opinion without sounding like douchebags.

Mathieran

Banned
After a day and a half of listening to linkin park albums on Spotify, I'm really gratefully to have saw them live in concert back in 2003 when they toured with Metallica on the summer sanitarium tour. Hybrid theory might have gotten the most airplay back when I was a junior in HS but Meteora takes the cake as truer best album.

I saw that concert too, at Minneapolis or Fargo, can't remember which. They were really great live. It's funny how you never know which bands will sound good, I was pretty surprised.

neoemonk

I saw that same tour. They came to Detroit on Fourth of July. That show was a tipping point for me. I looked down on them before that, but seeing them live converted me. They were so good live, and I've been a fan ever since.

Garlador

My younger brother and I never really got along or talk much, but we did share a mutual teenage affection for Linkin Park. Chester's death has us talking again for the first time in ages and remembering the concerts I drove him to.

zulux21

Can we stop the speculation on the man's private life and how it impacted his mindset leading up to this, please? Literally none of us are qualified to comment or voice an opinion without sounding like douchebags.

Nope. We can not.
At least for me the question why this happened is one that is nagging from my subconscious and something I can't really stop thinking about even if I am engaged in other things and not actively thinking about chester. If you think trying to rationalize/figure out/come to terms with what happened makes us sound like douchebags so be it, but hands down for me it's part of the healing process.

DeSo

Banned
My younger brother and I never really got along or talk much, but we did share a mutual teenage affection for Linkin Park. Chester's death has us talking again for the first time in ages and remembering the concerts I drove him to.
Fuck yes, good can come out of this.

Linkin Park were my gateway to music, if not for them dunno where I'd be.

zulux21

Gossip isn't respectful grieving.

quite frankly you causing a ruckus over how others are grieving is not respectful grieving especially going as far to call others douchbags for doing so. If you don't like how others are grieving don't pay attention to them.

and with that I am going to follow my own advice and this will be the last time I respond to you. And I hope despite the sadness you likely feel over this loss that you still have a good day.

Harmen

No, we can't. Discussing his private matters (and he was very open about parts of his life) helps people realise how a person as succesful, rich, and as loved as Chester still ended up like this. Furthermore, in a state of grief, confusion, fustrations/anger (how can a man leave his wife/kids behind), these discussions help people cope and to some extent relate/understand what can possibly bring people down to this lowest point. On top of that, there are plenty of people that relate to certain aspects of Chester's life due to having similar experiences (child abuse, drug abuse, friends that commited suicide etc.). Nobody is saying they know what happened exactly or what was the absolute tipping point, but that is not the point. I think there are valuable lessons in life to be had when discussing heavy subjects like this.

Sure, there can be disrespectul "gossip" out there, but instead of calling everybody wondering/discussing what could've lead to the end of this man a "douchebag", you could reply to the posts and points bothering you specifically.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm happy to hear this. Thank you.

quite frankly you causing a ruckus over how others are grieving is not respectful grieving especially going as far to call others douchbags for doing so. If you don't like how others are grieving don't pay attention to them.

I don't think anyone here is qualified to say exactly what was going on in this man's head when it happened, and there are likely many factors in his private life that we cannot account for regardless. It is incredibly presumptuous and arrogant to psychoanalyze something like this and while it may be a part of a person's grieving process that doesn't automatically mean that it's okay.

I understand that this type of death may feel like it prompts this kind of mental investigation as a coping measure due to it's cause, and our natural desire to understand something, but sometimes, there are things that we just can't understand, and to try would involve dipping our heads into areas that will never provide a clear answer, and creating a caricature of the individual at hand in such a way that risks disrespecting his memory or the actual transpirings.

My use of the word "Douchebag" was crass and for that I apologize, though with the above context in mind I think the intent behind it is still fairly apt, but the usage of it prior to this post harms my ultimate point by way of coloring my words badly in the minds of those who need to read them.

There's more thoughts about this in my head but I can't get them out clearly right now so that will have to do.

Manu

I've been away from home and GAF for the past few days so I really couldn't put my thoughts into words until now. I'm absolutely devastated. I was visiting my parents when the news broke out and I just broke down and cried. Not only as a LP fan for over 15 years now, but as someone who's struggled with depression my entire life, Chester was a role model to me. An example of how you can fight your demons, and not let them define you. And then all it takes is one bad day for everything to stop mattering and just quit. It just hurts so much.

I still love you Chester, and I don't blame you. Not for one second.

Listening to some of these songs is gonna be hard as fuck from now on.

cyber_ninja

Still can't believe that he's gone; been listening to LP non stop for a couple of days now, every time i hear his voice i get goose bumps. Even played LP at work last night in our store, one of the guys almost broke down crying when he walked in, but he held it down. I saw his eyes tear up a little bit, then I greeted him and he gave me a nod without speaking, I almost cried as well. Damn it hurts... 😢

RangerX

Banned
RIP. Depression is a terrible thing. I never realized the band were that popular. They supported Metallica here in Dublin and were nearly bottled off stage which I don't agree with. Most metalheads I knew couldn't stand them. Sucks he didn't get the help he needed anyway.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Quit grief policing. It's not your place to decide for others how to process this.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do you feel cold and lost in desperation
You build up hope but failure's all you've known
Remember all the sadness and frustration
And let it go,

I remember listening to this in my car in 2010. I was so interested in the Bhagavad Gita after listening to this album, A Thousand Suns. It was like a spiritual uplifting album. I heard this song in my car coming home from work and the lyrics just came to me. I'm glad we can show LP a lot more love.

rulerk1

Thousand Suns is still my favorite album theirs.

I wonder if critics will take a second look at One More Light. I remember critics thought it was hollow or shallow but I think it might be worth another look

Kibbles

Jared Leto's post:
When I think of Chester I remember his smile...

His laughter, intelligence, kindness and talent.

That absolutely unforgettable voice that was at once - delicate, ferocious and always full of emotion.

Witnessing his life taught me a lot. Especially about commitment, about kindness, about hard work, about the pursuit and achievement of dreams and mostly, about love.

I know that both his family and his band were a massive source of inspiration and pride for him. It was clear to me that he was deeply grateful for both the people that surrounded him and the life that he had.

My heart goes out to his family, friends, band and fans.

A tragic loss of an absolute legend.

We will miss you.

Harmen

They should go on with the audience alone doing the vocals. Can you imagine how much love and support that would provide both the band and the fans?

That would work extremely well with a couple of songs in a row as a tribute, but for two full hours or however long they play on headliner tours these days? I doubt that all the thousands of people in the venue at every show would be content with that. At least I wouldn't, as much as I'd like to see them. And I don't think focusing on Mike songs will cut it either. Cancelling their tour was the only option in my opinion, even if the band was ready to play within a week, which I doubt.

Top Bottom