• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 pre-E3 video hits tomorrow

Killthee said:
First game didn't have ammo, you could shoot as many shots as you wanted as long as your gun didn't overheat. In the new teaser and in the GDC combat video it looks like they've dumped the overheating aspect in favor of ammo.
Yeah. I forgot about that. Personally, I would prefer infinite ammo with overheating.

Killthee said:
First game didn't have ammo, you could shoot as many shots as you wanted as long as your gun didn't overheat. In the new teaser and in the GDC combat video it looks like they've dumped the overheating aspect in favor of ammo.

I don't think there is ammo, but there is definitely some sort of "reload" motion that the characters are doing. They do it with both the pistol and the assault rifle.

I really hope they didn't add ammo, one of the best aspects of the shooting in the first game was the fact that they didn't burden us with switching weapons or scavenging for ammo.

ElyrionX

Nice video and all but my biggest problems with Mass Effect 1 are:

1. Shitty combat. Force powers are lame. Combat is boring.
2. Extremely poor framerate and too many goddamn loading screens
3. Static cities and environment. They need to make the cities feel alive, believable and "lived-in".

I'm extremely skeptical that these problems will be fixed in ME2. Points 2 and 3 has been present in literally every Bioware console game since KOTOR.

Kyoufu

I prefer overheating with infinite ammo too.

But I think what they are going for is balance in the weapons. Anyone with the ammo upgrades on their weapons in the first game could hold down their fire button forever with no overheating penalty. I think BioWare is going to limit how many photon rounds you can burst until you have to reload the clip with energy.

I don't want to scavenge the areas for ammo either. Mass Effect is very linear in level design so it'd be stupid to put ammo crates in your path.

Whatever happens though, I know I'll just get used to it, so we'll see at E3.

I wonder if Bioware would ever tackle multiplayer.

Probably completely out of the question, but imagine a rpg/shooter/multiplayer hybrid done right, done better then the simple "gain xp points" of current shooters.

Kyoufu

Liara T'Soni said:
I wonder if Bioware would ever tackle multiplayer.

Probably completely out of the question, but imagine a rpg/shooter/multiplayer hybrid done right, done better then the simple "gain xp points" of current shooters.

I demanded multi-player co-op in my ME love thread last year, but for some reason the idea was shot down by pretty much everyone on this board.

A 4-player loot-based game with missions and planets to explore would be great...

Lagunamov

ElyrionX said:

3. Static cities and environment. They need to make the cities feel alive, believable and "lived-in".

I'm extremely skeptical that these problems will be fixed in ME2. Points 2 and 3 has been present in literally every Bioware console game since KOTOR.
Installation...

ArjanN

ElyrionX said:

Just get the PC versions of their games. KOTOR and Mass Effect both performed much better on PC.

I think the combat needs to either be more tactical or more intense action-wise. In the first game it was sort of stuck halfway in between. From the video it seems they're trying to adresss this though.

I wonder what changes in gameplay and rebalancing of powers will do for the characters. I'm suspecting I'll be totally overhaulling my party if previous characters are still available.
I went with Kaidan instead of Ashley because I decided to go bionic instead of focusing on weapons. I also hated the gunplay. Maybe that will come and haunt me in part 2.

ArjanN said:
Just get the PC versions of their games. KOTOR and Mass Effect both performed much better on PC.

I think the combat needs to either be more tactical or more intense action-wise. In the first game it was sort of stuck halfway in between. From the video it seems they're trying to adresss this though.

Loading wasn't that impressive on pc...the damn elevators were still present...Wish they changed to cry engine for this

ElyrionX

ArjanN said:

Yeah, but there's always the risk that the damn game won't even start up because of some hardware/software conflict that never gets resolved. 60 bucks down the drain, if that's the case. Thanks but no thanks. I've given up on most of PC gaming long ago.

ArjanN said:

I'd far prefer tactical to action. It's supposed to be a goddamn RPG after all.

I thought VATS in Fallout 3 would be perfect for Mass Effect. It's such a great combination of real-time and turn-based combat.

Prime crotch said:
Crashes and crappy performance either way.
What crappy performance? The game runs flawlessly with high settings on my MBP.

ElyrionX said:
Yeah, but there's always the risk that the damn game won't even start up because of some hardware/software conflict that never gets resolved. 60 bucks down the drain, if that's the case. Thanks but no thanks. I've given up on most of PC gaming long ago.
This is bullshit.

Action Jackson said:
What crappy performance? The game runs flawlessly with high settings on my MBP.

This is bullshit.

eh...I can run crysis fine, but this game was technically unimpressive on pc from what I played on high settings...look nice overall, but was pretty high maintenance for what you got out... Still loves it though

Another thing I disliked about the first game was the insane amounts of illogical design. Nothing was really believable. I'm mostly talking about the main locations of the game though. (Citadel, Noveria, etc.)

BioWare really needs to learn how to not waste space in a game's environment.

ElyrionX said:
I'd far prefer tactical to action. It's supposed to be a goddamn RPG after all.

I thought VATS in Fallout 3 would be perfect for Mass Effect. It's such a great combination of real-time and turn-based combat.
I'm definitely in favor of this.

HK-47 said:
Well prove me wrong! What so great about ME combat? Its got a poor man's cover system, moronic AI, a complete lack of tactical squad commands outside of use this power or take cover, and a bunch of telekinesis.

Man it is a fucking revelation. But of course it gets a free pass cause its an RPG right?

Why do you think its one of the first things they admitted they were improving in the sequel?

New Casey Hudson Interview that pretty much destroys every quam I had about the first ME.

.1 We can now send our squadmates to different invidual points.

2. Better cover system and animations associated with that new cover system.

3. Completely broken down and overhauled inventory UI system! Fuck yes!!!

4. New personalized armor options! Fuck yes more!!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/masseffect2workingtitle/video/6209825/mass-effect-2-interview-1

Darklord

Banned
Am I the only one who things the bit in the city flying around in the hover car looks EXACTLY like Episode 2?

ElyrionX said:

Err, where did you hear this crap? Unless you have a shitty PC that can't actually run the thing then you should have no problem. 99.9% of the time any problem can be fixed very easily too.

Foil

Lagunamov said:
Installation...

I haven't played Mass Effect since the new 360 OS was released. How much better are the load times and framerate if you install the whole thing on your hard drive? Is it really that much improved?

Chinner

Banned
Superblatt said:
I haven't played Mass Effect since the new 360 OS was released. How much better are the load times and framerate if you install the whole thing on your hard drive? Is it really that much improved?
the biggest differneces are:
better LOD
better load times (unless they're the elevators, then they're hard coded so they're same)
quieter drive (this is pretty durr, but there are a few moments that rely on silentness or soft music, so if the dvd drive is HURRING then you won't be able to absorb the scene for what it was intended)

dunno about better fps, if it is improved its marginal

U K Narayan said:
Another thing I disliked about the first game was the insane amounts of illogical design. Nothing was really believable. I'm mostly talking about the main locations of the game though. (Citadel, Noveria, etc.)

BioWare really needs to learn how to not waste space in a game's environment.

Keep in mind that they need to make a game that balances a bit of architectural realism, with area's that are fun to shoot in for game purposes.

I thought the Citadel was great, what were you're gripes with it?

I'm hoping we get more in-mission party interaction, harder to dig through party members and the system that was promised in ME1 where party members would argue with each other about what you should be doing.

I don't want to just go to the bottom of the Normandy after every major mission to "advance" my personal storylines with these characters. The interaction and development of the group should be consistent throughout the entire game and you should have to be truly careful with how you speak and deal with your allies.

Dark FaZe said:
I'm hoping we get more in-mission party interaction, harder to dig through party members and the system that was promised in ME1 where party members would argue with each other about what you should be doing.

I don't want to just go to the bottom of the Normandy after every major mission to "advance" my personal storylines with these characters. The interaction and development of the group should be consistent throughout the entire game and you should have to be truly careful with how you speak and deal with your allies.

Agreed, the way they handled character interaction in ME was pretty big let down.

One thing that bothers me about ME, that also bothered me in the KOTOR games, and tends to bother me in most rpg's with a party system...is the fact that you can't bring your whole party along with you. I just don't get why we can't advance past this "choose two members" system.

Rad Agast

dionysus said:
I played through it and even went to every planet in the galaxy, which was a huge mistake as there was never anything there except for maybe 2 planets that was interesting.

I wouldn't call it a huge mistake for me but I actually found some of the non-playable planets more interesting.
Did you find the Rachni planet by the way? That side quest was more interesting with regard to the over all plot

dionysus said:
Maybe we just come from different gaming backgrounds. All the choices seem superficial to me, not really effecting anything. Also, every characters to me plays the same: you shoot people till they die, and throw in special abilities if they are particularly powerful. I played the sniper/pistol/tech class for your information.

You've been playing it on Normal/Veteran then? Mobs have resistances on Hardcore and Insanity. I wouldn't recommend starting Insanity with a brand new character though.

dionysus said:
What I meant by diversity of gameplay is, for example, you can play most of fallout 2 never fighting period, using your charisma to navigate the game. Or in almost every D&D crpg ever made you could play a thief class, priest class, melee class, archer class, summoner class, etc. which all have very fundamental differences in how you play the game. In ME, you shoot shoot shoot, special ability, shoot shoot, special ability, shoot shoot.... It is not a fundamental change in how you approach the battle between the different classes.

It's an Action RPG. It's been that since the first reveal/announcement back in 2005. I don't know why you were expecting Diplomacy to be a major part of the gameplay. They used it in a minor way and it did it's job of providing a distraction between the action parts. As for the rest of your complaints regarding classes, when you have some free time, play it again on Hardcore with a brand new character.

dionysus said:
Despite my disappointment in many aspects of the game, did you miss the part where I said I found it enjoyable? I just thought it had a lot of flaws and could have been so much better.

Yep, I did.

dionysus said:
So I guess ME has been inducted into the exclusive club of GAF's sacred cows. Like how you can't criticize Halo or Killzone or how you can't praise GTAIV without being attacked by a mob.

Well, some people defended Haze and Too Human on these boards so...
this is GAF?

Chinner said:
i'm glad we're getting back some of the shit that was cut from ME. I'll look forward to being able send my team members to different locations as well as the interrupt system.

:lol That was my thought exactly as I was watching that interview.

EviLore said:
So the new feature for mass effect 2's dialogue system is being able to cut people off while they're talking to punch them in the face, rather than waiting until they finish talking and then punching them in face.

Wasn't this one of the first things they showed us in Mass Effect 1? By the time it came out, the feature had been reduced to skippable dialogue.

The weird thing is, no-one ever mentioned it getting cut. It was such a high profile feature in early demos but it's like it got written out of history. Nice to see it back though. Even if it is largely pointless.

Rad Agast

Liara T'Soni said:
Agreed, the way they handled character interaction in ME was pretty big let down.

One thing that bothers me about ME, that also bothered me in the KOTOR games, and tends to bother me in most rpg's with a party system...is the fact that you can't bring your whole party along with you. I just don't get why we can't advance past this "choose two members" system.

I'm guessing it's an easy way for devs to provide "replayability" incentives. It usually back fires when the gamer loses interest during or after the first playthrough.

Edit:
freethought said:
Wasn't this one of the first things they showed us in Mass Effect 1? By the time it came out, the feature had been reduced to skippable dialogue.

The weird thing is, no-one ever mentioned it getting cut. It was such a high profile feature in early demos but it's like it got written out of history. Nice to see it back though. Even if it is largely pointless.

It was mentioned on some podcasts if I remember correctly. Alpha Protocol will be the first to have it in the final product I hope.

Chinner

Banned
proposition said:
Ding ding ding we have a winner.
i dont really care about you but i am disappointed in rez :( . sometimes that boys shows so much potential and then he just squanders it (although he likes the mighty boosh so he is a unreliable one)

Chinner said:
i dont really care about you but i am disappointed in rez :( . sometimes that boys shows so much potential and then he just squanders it (although he likes the mighty boosh so he is a unreliable one)
Well I don't care about you either! :<

dejan

EviLore said:
So the new feature for mass effect 2's dialogue system is being able to cut people off while they're talking to punch them in the face, rather than waiting until they finish talking and then punching them in face.
As long as I can punch someone in the face in Mass Effect 2 it's all good.

Johann

Liara T'Soni said:
Keep in mind that they need to make a game that balances a bit of architectural realism, with area's that are fun to shoot in for game purposes.

I suppose it has to do with a maxim for writing 'realistic' sci-fi.' All space ships, colonies, and space stations cities should have a high population density due to high costs of maintenance and operations. Otherwise, you risk going into 'magic science' territory that could hurt the consistency of the story. The exceptions are if it goes past life support regulations or the owner of the property can afford to have his ship operating at below peak efficiency. It's probably that way in Mass Effect because it's a videogame and the game engine probably can't handle so many people at once.

If they start having ammo and reloading, I wonder how they'd justify the change in technology. The game basically says that the energy weapons are so good because they can carry thousands of rounds with the same stopping power but without the need to reload or carry ammunition.

Lime

Casey Hudson is so good at selling the game. Sometimes I wonder if his job as a Project Lead only surmounts to Public Relations.

I hope the PC game is released at the same date as the 360 version.

Liara T'Soni said:

Signs everywhere that looked the same. Didn't really contribute a lot to immersion. Those transit cars were placed in awkward locations. There's a bunch of stuff that isn't coming to mind.

I just want functional designs in my locations. I want shit to make sense. I want to feel as though a character can live there.

The only game I've played this generation that pulls this off really well is Dead Space, but that's a REALLY different game.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Chinner said:

You don't have to care what anyone thinks, especially the ones that seem to have to reiterate their points over & over & over again in every Mass Effect thread.

You ask anyone, even the ones who say that Mass Effect is their favorite RPG period like myself, if Mass Effect is flawless - not a single one will say so.

Do we care that it isn't flawless? Fuck no. Are there things we'd love to see improved? Hell yeah - anything to make one of our favorite games even better is always good.

Quazar

dionysus said:
So I guess ME has been inducted into the exclusive club of GAF's sacred cows. Like how you can't criticize Halo or Killzone or how you can't praise GTAIV without being attacked by a mob.

lol or you're just lttp. You aren't bringing anything up that hasn't been brought up in every ME related thread.

Raide

I would love co-op for ME2. It would add a greater team dynamic and would make the different classes stand out and be more useful.

itxaka

Defeatist
Hey guys Mass effect sucks.

Now I'll leave the thread. Yes, I only entered to complain about a game I didn't like, bye.

Fuck yes. I just hope that sometimes wrex steps in before you do. A krogan punch to the face must hurt a lot.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BrokenSymmetry said:
To me, Wrex and Ashley were the only characters with some depth to them, so I always had them in my party.

I have similar sentiments even though I like Garrus and love Tali's voice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
itxaka said:
Hey guys Mass effect sucks.

Now I'll leave the thread. Yes, I only entered to complain about a game I didn't like, bye.

Fuck yes. I just hope that sometimes wrex steps in before you do. A krogan punch to the face must hurt a lot.

A system like SoZ were other members of your party can intiate the convo or where you can choose dialogue for them if they inject would be cool.

itxaka

Defeatist
HK-47 said:
A system like SoZ were other members of your party can intiate the convo or where you can choose dialogue for them if they inject would be cool.

Ummh what is SoZ?

And yes, I was thinking about that how your conversations should influence your partners. Maybe if you talk with wrex like a "I am awesome, everybody else deserves to die" he should go with it and, for example, kill someone on the main storyline for threatening you making you take another route in order to continue the story.

Ugh, that reads awfully. I been too much time awaken so sorry for the text above. I hope you can understant it.

Top Bottom