• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 pre-E3 video hits tomorrow

squicken

Can't wait for the game. Loved the original, warts and all. The 70s sci-fi, synth-pop, and overall presentation made up for the games shortcomings.

And damn HK-47, you've got like 10% of the posts in this thread. Are you carrying Altogether Andrews' Mass Effect torch?

squicken said:
Can't wait for the game. Loved the original, warts and all. The 70s sci-fi, synth-pop, and overall presentation made up for the games shortcomings.

And damn HK-47, you've got like 10% of the posts in this thread. Are you carrying Altogether Andrews' Mass Effect torch?
I want to know why he named himself hk-47 and then trolls this thread unless I'm missing something. HK-47 is a kotor reference and yet you don't like bioware games? unless I missed something, if so sorry

Raxus

I was so happy I saved Wrex from game 1. Best character in the game bar none.

They really have to balance the classes though Soldier made things WAY too easy by the end game.

Kyoufu

Raxus said:

They really have to balance the classes though Soldier made things WAY too easy by the end game.

Honestly they were all WAY too easy at end game.

Acid08

Banned
Raxus said:

I loved killing Wrex actually :lol

Wrex was my number two. He basically made a lot of close situations winnable for me.

I remember in the boss fight in the lava planet, I was about to die as the boss was running toward me. All of a sudden, Wrex comes flying out of nowhere and shotguns him right in the back. He fell to his knees and died.

Wrex is the man.

Raxus

Kyoufu said:
Honestly they were all WAY too easy at end game.
If I remember correctly my character took out the final boss is 3-6 shots.

Pretty pitiful for an RPG boss.

I could revive my teammates on the fly and could recharge all my abilities. Add to the fact Wrex is unable to be killed I found most of the game to turn into a cake walk even with the infuriating driving segments.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Scottlarock said:
I want to know why he named himself hk-47 and then trolls this thread unless I'm missing something. HK-47 is a kotor reference and yet you don't like bioware games? unless I missed something, if so sorry

Dont be dense. I wouldnt take the name if I didnt like the character. However I do prefer the philosophical HK of II more than the bloodthirsty joke barrel from I. Either is fine with me though.

Also the WRPG genre is one I am particularly critical of, perhaps cause I like them so much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Acid08 said:
Play that shit right now. Look through any ME thread and there is a lot of love for that game. Just play it, you might end up loving it like I did.

Of course there is going to be love for a game in a thread about it.

explain why you took the name and what game kotor 1 or 2, why you loved it so much you took the name. and why you look down on them now.

edit: if I was a fan and create a name from Kotor, and had the same avatar as the game kotor for a long time. I don't get how you think the company now sucks when it create the game pretty close to kotor without the starwars names to it.

Damn...wish I had got to this thread earlier, I was too busy with other things, specifically, LOST.

The upgrades in this are already noticeable.

Did Bioware upgrade to unreal 3.5?

What I'm most interesting in learning is whether or not there is completely new NPC's, and whether or not I'm going to be able to keep my characters face.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LiquidMetal14 said:
I've had 3 friends tell me this. Not ba dbut over rated. Have it sitting around right now but haven't popped it in.

If you dont find it grabbing you, the main quest is pretty short. Still better to judge for yourself.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Scottlarock said:
explain why you took the name and what game kotor 1 or 2, why you loved it so much you took the name. and why you look down on them now.

Facepalm. I criticize aspects of them. I am not trolling them (unlike I do sometimes with Beth games) and I'm not looking down on them. I accentuate the negativity, most of the time. Its how I approach things.

Also I've said my piece on why I love KotOR II and like KotOR 1 many, many times on this board. Hell in any WRPG thread or story thread you'll find me defending KotOR II's story against the less than stellar game that encases it.

And even if I didnt like the games wholesale, I can still like the singular character.

Good enough?

HK-47 said:
Also the WRPG genre is one I am particularly critical of, perhaps cause I like them so much.
I love them too, hell you took the name & avatar, but you don't like the company you took the name from? it just dosn't make sense. Bioware made a awesome game w/ KOTOR and again with Mass Effect.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Scottlarock said:
I love them too, hell you took the name & avatar, but you don't like the company you took the name from? it just dosn't make sense. Bioware made a awesome game w/ KOTOR and again with Mass Effect.

You arent listening.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I really need to combat to feel more violent and impactful. I went back to ME after playing Dead Space, and the combat felt so... sterile, in comparison. Fortunately I was on my ninth or tenth play through, as I would've been sorely disappointed if it was my first playthrough.

Judging from the video, they speak like ME2 is moving in the direction I desire, but I need to see how bodies react to gunfire before I'm satisfied.

Best RPG of this gen finally gets a sequel. This looks so fu#$ing good.
Im glad Bioware are getting the time they need to really polish the game I have a feeling this is going to blow our minds.

Raxus

U K Narayan said:
Let's not forget to mention the fact that there's little to NO variation in ANY of the environments.
Hey, wanna see my moon base? It is next to my neighbor's moon base.

HK-47, it seems to me that you want some sort of Lem-esque sci-fi game, when Bioware is clearly focused on making ME a space opera/space western.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Liara T'Soni said:
HK-47, it seems to me that you want some sort of Lem-esque sci-fi game, when Bioware is clearly focused on making ME a space opera/space western.

Most of my criticism here is towards systems and timeline issues. Being a space opera has nothing to do with that. Star Wars is a space opera with fantasy elements and strong light/dark influences, and I still like that. I just like deconstruction more. Also if Bioware is gonna claim their game to be mature and dark, it should live up to that. Lesbian sex doesnt make it mature and being a douche doesnt make it dark.

I just read your past 100 messages, ya welcome to my ignore. I support everyone to read them.
edit: for hk-47

someone please tell me if I'm wrong in this.

Tieno

Raxus said:

Wrex was ALWAYS in my party, I didn't have the heart or courage to replace him with someone else. Just his voice alone is so cool. I'll probably do the same in ME2.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tieno said:
Wrex was ALWAYS in my party, I didn't have the heart or courage to replace him with someone else. Just his voice alone is so cool. I'll probably do the same in ME2.

His VA is excellence. Some of his lines during the confrontation on Virmire are delivered with nice emotion.

Voiced by Steve Barr

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Scottlarock said:
I just read your past 100 messages, ya welcome to my ignore. I support everyone to read them.

Go ahead. Cant stop ya.

Fredescu

Scottlarock said:

I don't think right and wrong apply. You're just insane. I can't believe some of the responses to people pointing out Mass Effects obvious flaws. I enjoyed the game too, but there are people who take criticisms of a game they enjoyed way too personally. Acid08's posts were the worst, but yours were fairly dense too. If you're going to put HK-47 on ignore, you'll miss out on approximately 20% of WRPG discussion on GAF. Your loss.

Acid08

Banned
Fredescu said:
I don't think right and wrong apply. You're just insane. I can't believe some of the responses to people pointing out Mass Effects obvious flaws. I enjoyed the game too, but there are people who take criticisms of a game they enjoyed way too personally. Acid08's posts were the worst, but yours were fairly dense too. If you're going to put HK-47 on ignore, you'll miss out on approximately 20% of WRPG discussion on GAF. Your loss.
:lol :lol :lol. Dude you can talk about all the obvious flaws you want but the fact of the matter is, for my playthrough, I wasn't bothered by any of the complaints you're bringing up so I obviously disagree.

Kritz

Banned
My squad always consisted of either Wrex and Ashley, or Wrex and Garrus.

I never found the third person shooting to be bad. Sure, the enemies didn't react at all to me shooting them and the weapon modifications hardly make a difference, but it was still fun.

I always found that the biotic abilities weren't really worth using, hence why my team is strength-focused. They just didn't have enough impact on the battle.

I hope in ME2 we get a little more choice in our ship's crew. In the first game, no matter what, we always ended up with the same characters to choose from. I'd prefer it if we could choose between a few more characters, and have the option of NEVER picking up certain people, either through simply not meeting them or through not liking them.

The option to have two Krogan soldiers backing me up sounds super-awesome.

Acid08 said:
:lol :lol :lol. Dude you can talk about all the obvious flaws you want but the fact of the matter is, for my playthrough, I wasn't bothered by any of the complaints you're bringing up so I obviously disagree.
Just because you aren't bothered by these flaws doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm not implying that you aren't denying their presence, I'm just saying.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kritz said:
My squad always consisted of either Wrex and Ashley, or Wrex and Garrus.

I never found the third person shooting to be bad. Sure, the enemies didn't react at all to me shooting them and the weapon modifications hardly make a difference, but it was still fun.

I always found that the biotic abilities weren't really worth using, hence why my team is strength-focused. They just didn't have enough impact on the battle.

I hope in ME2 we get a little more choice in our ship's crew. In the first game, no matter what, we always ended up with the same characters to choose from. I'd prefer it if we could choose between a few more characters, and have the option of NEVER picking up certain people, either through simply not meeting them or through not liking them.

The option to have two Krogan soldiers backing me up sounds super-awesome.

I would like the chance to miss or decline character as well. Plus I feel that some of the current crew have half assed explanations for them being on the crew. Some new resolve for guys like Garrus or Tali would be nice.

On the subject of Garrus, I'm usually all for influencing party members, but I felt Garrus was too easily swayed if you preached that the hardline isnt always the answer. I mean, that was the core of his character, the reason he left C-Sec, the reason he is there with you. Personally I would have liked a long argument with him rather than as positive reinforce for my decisions. I also hope he gets something beyond "cop who plays by his own rules" cause I like his VA.

Foil

Finally saw that pre-e3 trailer. Wow. As if the wait for this game isn't going to be hard enough. The more I see the more I want it. Hopefully Garrus is still around since I felt he was one of the best characters in the original game and has the potential to be a much better character in ME2 if they handle him the right way.

Wallach

HK-47 said:
I would like the chance to miss or decline character as well. Plus I feel that some of the current crew have half assed explanations for them being on the crew. Some new resolve for guys like Garrus or Tali would be nice.

On the subject of Garrus, I'm usually all for influencing party members, but I felt Garrus was too easily swayed if you preached that the hardline isnt always the answer. I mean, that was the core of his character, the reason he left C-Sec, the reason he is there with you. Personally I would have liked a long argument with him rather than as positive reinforce for my decisions. I also hope he gets something beyond "cop who plays by his own rules" cause I like his VA.

I'm not sure I'd like to be able to miss a character (at least permanently), but I'd very much like the option to actively decline a character. I would have sent Ashley's ass packing with a quickness.

Finally watched the video. AWESOME

I'm not a big fan of dogs as enemy. I always end up wasting ammo. Good thing there are biotic options in ME.

dionysus

Yaldog
So I guess ME has been inducted into the exclusive club of GAF's sacred cows. Like how you can't criticize Halo or Killzone or how you can't praise GTAIV without being attacked by a mob.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kyoufu said:
......Ammo?
They've added a reload animation, I think its safe to assume they've added ammo.

Looking at the GDC combat video it looks like ammo is replacing infinite shots until your gun overheats.

Kyoufu said:
......Ammo?
Ammunition

Killthee said:
They've added a reload animation, I think its safe to assume they've added ammo.

Wait, did I miss something?

Kyoufu said:
I know what it is dummy, I just don't know how you're "wasting" ammo when there isn't any to begin with :p
Oh. Time to sleep I guess. And yeah, I totally forgot about that. Haven't played it after launch in Dec 2007.

But wasting ammo part is true for me in other games.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MirageDwarf said:
Wait, did I miss something? It's been more than a year since I played it.
First game didn't have ammo, you could shoot as many shots as you wanted as long as your gun didn't overheat. In the new teaser and in the GDC combat video it looks like they've dumped the overheating aspect in favor of ammo.

HK-47 said:
Most of my criticism here is towards systems and timeline issues. Being a space opera has nothing to do with that. Star Wars is a space opera with fantasy elements and strong light/dark influences, and I still like that. I just like deconstruction more. Also if Bioware is gonna claim their game to be mature and dark, it should live up to that. Lesbian sex doesnt make it mature and being a douche doesnt make it dark.

I agree that the timeline doesn't really match up...but it's not even much of an issue. Doesn't really matter if humans made it to the council in 20 years or 500 years...the point is supposed to be that they are advancing at a rapid rate. I just think it's being a bit petty to critique them on this issue, considering how obviously intentional it is. Their massive expansion is exaggerated to emphasize what it means to be a human in the universe that they built.

I found that "lesbian sex", as you put it, to be an interesting not because I'm a 13 year old weirdo (Insert screenname quote), but because it actually highlighted something alien about the aliens that deals with their psychology as well as their biology. The Asari are an asexual species, that looks relatively feminine to most of the other species in the universe. Being asexual, they lack some of the hesitancy in regards to relationships that humans have. I don't think that thats boring or immature, if done right at least. The problem is that Bioware went out of their way to write "I'm a virgin" dialogue. They also made the mistake of introducing the species as prostitutes and strippers. So I can understand why you think that the romance plot between female-shep and Liara was teenage boy bait. I just think that the set up was far more interesting than the execution. Could have explored attraction, aesthetics, love, etc, from a perspective that isn't bound by our own prejudices. I think thats where sci-fi excels, when you are presented with something very similar to real life, but with a twist in logic or presentation that allows for newer ideas to be explored, or, using a word you just said, that allows for a deconstruction of older ones. But thats just me.

Hopefully Bioware does more with ALL the species in ME2. I'm actually a little disappointed that they are introducing new ones, I just want the ones we already have to be stretched out. For instance, the Turians were responsible for nearly wiping out the krogan, but not once in the game are we presented a situation where Wrex and Garrus talk about this. Tali alludes to racist profiling in the citadel, but we don't get much more than "c-spec always questions me when I come here".

For what it's worth, although I took the login of Liara (I made this login before the game came out). I found that Ashley was the most interesting NPC (Just because of how much of a bitch they made her at times...a little fight in her, I like that) and that the Quarians were the most interesting species (I hope they delve into their psychology more in the second game. Surviving a genocide. Kicked out of the council. Left to roam around, the allusions to racism that they face...they could do a lot with this).

And I'm all for Bioware THROWING OUT the "paragon/renegade" shit...it adds absolutely NOTHING to the story or the gameplay, aside from 2 achievements. Why can't they just present the player with options as to how they want to do things, and write a story that allows. I don't understand developers think that the "good/bad" stuff is soooo interesting. It's not interesting if the story plays out the exact same way, and it's not interesting if people around you don't react to your actions.

For all your meta-examining, I'm surprised that you like the dinosour character named (T)Wrex so much....:D I like Wrex, I liked all the characters for different reasons, but I don't see what was so above and beyond about him (I agree that his voice acting was very good). He tells you a couple of stories about his days as a bounty hunter, and has the subplot about his father.

Foil

Killthee said:
In the new teaser and in the GDC combat video it looks like they've dumped the overheating aspect in favor of ammo.

It could be that the new heavy weapons are the ones with the ammo (for balance reasons) while the previous guns still have the overheating feature.

Top Bottom