• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 pre-E3 video hits tomorrow

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kyoufu said:
I know what it is dummy, I just don't know how you're "wasting" ammo when there isn't any to begin with :p

Right. I was surprised by that too. ME states that weapons fire sheared off metal at opponents. The block of metal in the gun is suppose to provide a ridiculous amount of ammo, thousand of shots. So why the reload? Could be a secondary weapon fire but I kinda doubt it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Liara T'Soni said:
I wonder if Bioware would ever tackle multiplayer.

Probably completely out of the question, but imagine a rpg/shooter/multiplayer hybrid done right, done better then the simple "gain xp points" of current shooters.

They are thinking about doing multiplayer or coop based RPGs in the future.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
itxaka said:
Hey guys Mass effect sucks.

Now I'll leave the thread. Yes, I only entered to complain about a game I didn't like, bye.

Fuck yes. I just hope that sometimes wrex steps in before you do. A krogan punch to the face must hurt a lot.

Yeah that sounds dope. It'd be awesome if some of your squadmates got out of hand and started doing their own thing. Even more awesome if you could punch them too for not following orders.

Chinner

Banned
HK-47 said:
Right. I was surprised by that too. ME states that weapons fire sheared off metal at opponents. The block of metal in gun it suppose to provide a ridiculous amount of amount, thousand of shots. So why the reload? Could be a secondary weapon fire but I kinda doubt it.

I reckon it's either a secondary weapon fire as you said or perhaps a way to make your weapon cool down faster. I don't think they'll implement ammo system at this point with all the story explanation behind it. Alternatively, it could be a new type of weapon we're unaware of.

Looks great.

Really though, I would be satisfied with Mass Effect 1 engine with a new story.

I dealt with the issues, and loved the game.

itxaka

Defeatist
ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah that sounds dope. It'd be awesome if some of your squadmates got out of hand and started doing their own thing. Even more awesome if you could punch them too for not following orders.

That wouldn't work, I will just punch her all the time. An I think everybody knows who "her" is and will agree with me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Liara T'Soni said:
Agreed, the way they handled character interaction in ME was pretty big let down.

One thing that bothers me about ME, that also bothered me in the KOTOR games, and tends to bother me in most rpg's with a party system...is the fact that you can't bring your whole party along with you. I just don't get why we can't advance past this "choose two members" system.

It would be cool to have multiple strike teams and multiple entry points. It would also make replays a lot more interesting.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
itxaka said:
Ummh what is SoZ?

And yes, I was thinking about that how your conversations should influence your partners. Maybe if you talk with wrex like a "I am awesome, everybody else deserves to die" he should go with it and, for example, kill someone on the main storyline for threatening you making you take another route in order to continue the story.

Ugh, that reads awfully. I been too much time awaken so sorry for the text above. I hope you can understant it.

Storm of Zehir. Sequel to the real best RPG of the gen, if PC has gens. Plays like a quasi open world Icewind Dale with some trading economics added in. Not very story driven though.

mass effect team pro-tiers for pro-gamers

1. Wrex
2. Tali
3. Garrus
4. Liara
5. Kaiden
6. Every character in the game except Ashley
7. A poop
8. A bigger poop
9. Ashley

Chinner

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

1. Wrex
2. Tali
3. Garrus
4. Liara
5. Kaiden
7. A poop
8. A bigger poop
9. Ashley
pretty good.......for a scrub

Kyoufu

The Wrex defining line was definitely when you first see him.

The guard warns him to stay away and he replies with "You should warn Fist, I'm going to kill him" with his head motions...........SO AWESOME.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This and Assassin's Creed 2 are pretty much my most anticipated current gen releases.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I just bought this again.

What's the deal with DLC? There was something already released and something else releasing soon? Is it better to get the content before a new playthrough?

And does anyone know a really good ME resource. I played through the first time as, pretty much, a straightup soldier. The game is kind of a time sink, (especially with the multiple playthroughs) so before experimenting around and then maybe having to restart, I'd like to read up on the +/-'s of various classes before making a new character.

Thanks.

So stoked for ME2.

Rad Agast

recklessmind said:
I just bought this again.

What's the deal with DLC? There was something already released and something else releasing soon? Is it better to get the content before a new playthrough?

And does anyone know a really good ME resource. I played through the first time as, pretty much, a straightup soldier. The game is kind of a time sink, (especially with the multiple playthroughs) so before experimenting around and then maybe having to restart, I'd like to read up on the +/-'s of various classes before making a new character.

Thanks.

So stoked for ME2.

They're releasing an arena battle DLC some time in the future. The old DLC is a side quest on the moon (Bring down the sky). It doesn't matter when you get them since you can go there right away after leaving the citadel or leaving it till later.

As for different classes/builds, you can try the gold standard builds entry at the ME wikia. It's pretty much a copy/paste off a thread on the official forums.

Gribbix

Nirolak said:
January-March 2010 actually. It's in this fiscal year for EA.
Spring 2010 is what Casey Hudson said at the end of this Gamespot interview that was posted earlier today. Although spring does officially begin March 21 which would still be part of EA's fiscal year.

Evolved1

Rad Agast said:
They're releasing an arena battle DLC some time in the future. The old DLC is a side quest on the moon (Bring down the sky). It doesn't matter when you get them since you can go there right away after leaving the citadel or leaving it till later.

As for different classes/builds, you can try the gold standard builds entry at the ME wikia. It's pretty much a copy/paste off a thread on the official forums.

Hey, thanks.

Hootie

EmCeeGramr said:

1. Wrex
2. Tali
3. Garrus
4. Liara
5. Kaiden
7. A poop
8. A bigger poop
9. Ashley

Wrex + Garrus is the only way to go

Assemble!

Just picked this back up... quick question. After the main storyline (which I seem to be darn close to finishing( can you still do the side quests???

I'm guessing so (Zelda style), but I don't want to miss out on anything. Such a fantastic game, and a rare one that is as good as its ambitions are big.

AlStrong

Assemble! said:
Just picked this back up... quick question. After the main storyline (which I seem to be darn close to finishing( can you still do the side quests???

Nope. Also, certain citadel sidequests may disappear as well if you attempt to do them later.

I hope they really polish this. If it means that I have to get the game in Fall 2010 - then so be it.

I didn't mind Ashley a great deal. My team typically consisted of Garrus and Tali.

Prine said:
What about Tomb Raider? And Xenogears?
Xenogears? What the Hell are you talking about?

gregor7777 said:
Looks great.

Really though, I would be satisfied with Mass Effect 1 engine with a new story.

I dealt with the issues, and loved the game.

Isn't this just a tweaked up version of the ME engine? Thats fine by me as long as they make some of the more natural looking areas a little more lush and vibrant

nelsonroyale said:
Isn't this just a tweaked up version of the ME engine? Thats fine by me as long as they make some of the more natural looking areas a little more lush and vibrant

Yeah, but it sounds like they are talking up some fairly large improvements (lighting, loading times, textures). I welcome it; but I'd play ME2 if it was just ME1 from a technical perspective with a new story.

U K Narayan said:
I hope they really polish this. If it means that I have to get the game in Fall 2010 - then so be it.

I didn't mind Ashley a great deal. My team typically consisted of Garrus and Tali.

Xenogears? What the Hell are you talking about?

The fact that they are pushing it to 2010 makes me even more excited. The original definitely felt rushed in a lot of ways and if they are finally getting the time they need to create the vision we only see hinted at in the first game then fu#$ I am all for it.

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, but it sounds like they are talking up some fairly large improvements (lighting, loading times, textures). I welcome it; but I'd play ME2 if it was just ME1 from a technical perspective with a new story.

Yup. The game looking this much better is all gravy for me.

Evolved1

I liked Ashley, but she was redundant, given that I was already playing the soldier/tank role.

I generally went with as balanced a squad as possible. Nothing worse than exploring a lifeless planet for an hour, only to find a crate or something I couldn't open because I brought her along instead of Tali.

Fuck that.

I'm getting ready for a new play through. This time I won't be playing the soldier, so Ashley might be more useful.

recklessmind said:
I liked Ashley, but she was redundant, given that I was already playing the soldier/tank role.

I generally went with as balanced a squad as possible. Nothing worse than exploring a lifeless planet for an hour, only to find a crate or something I couldn't open because I brought her along instead of Tali.

Fuck that.

I'm getting ready for a new play through. This time I won't be playing the soldier, so Ashley might be more useful.

:lol So true that drove me crazy.

Just as long as they bring Tali back. Tali was Mass Effect fuck the rest. And I want them to create a vaccine for her so she can take her helmet off. I want to see those sexy gills.
Hmm I wonder if that green alien in the vid was a Quarian without the helmet?

Revelations said:
Just as long as they bring Tali back. Tali was Mass Effect fuck the rest. And I want them to create a vaccine for her so she can take her helmet off. I want to see those sexy gills.

Unfortunately, I do not think that they are going to be bringing back any of your old party members...which to me is a letdown at best, and a cop-out at worst. I'm sure you'll see them in passing or or whatever, they have hinted at Wrex "showing up" like twice, but I'm bracing for a new crew.

Whose to say what that Alien is. Maybe a Collector?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Revelations said:

Tali was quarian info kiosk with a good VA. And where the fuck did you get gills from?

And they showed the green alien when talking about new species, so I doubt it.

Liara T'Soni said:
Unfortunately, I do not think that they are going to be bringing back any of your old party members...which to me is a letdown at best, and a cop-out at worst. I'm sure you'll see them in passing or or whatever, they have hinted at Wrex "showing up" like twice, but I'm bracing for a new crew.

Whose to say what that Alien is. Maybe a Collector?

Highly doubt that. Some of those characters are main stays otherwise what would be the significant point of the choices you made to kill them off or keep them alive? I bet Liara returns, Tali, Wrex and either Ashley/Kaden.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Revelations said:
Highly doubt that. Some of those characters are main stays otherwise what would be the significant point of the choices you made to kill them off or keep them alive? I bet Liara returns, Tali, Wrex and either Ashley/Kaden.

The point is it takes less time and money than to write for multiple, fully developed story branches with characters that may or may not be there. To write content most people wont see. Thats why Bioware always puts big choices at the end and makes it easy to see both endings. They dont like paths that truly branch. Its not economical.

HK-47 said:
Tali was quarian info kiosk with a good VA. And where the fuck did you get gills from?

And they showed the green alien when talking about new species, so I doubt it.
To me Quarians were presumably fish folk. Check the webbed feet. The borderline aquatic bubbly accent. We dont know what quarians look like so to me it would still be considered new at this point. Info kiosk had the character model of a Asari and I dont give a fuck about that anyway her character was awesome.

HK-47 said:
The point is it takes less time and money than to write for multiple, fully developed story branches with characters that may or may not be there. To write content most people wont see. Thats why Bioware always puts big choices at the end and makes it easy to see both endings. They dont like paths that truly branch. Its not economical.

They'll add in maybe 2 or 3 new squad members but IMO most of the orginal cast will return. Thats pretty economical in itself.

Top Bottom