• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

Ashhong

Pretty entertaining so far. Some parts feel a little awkward but it still works somehow. Looking forward to smoking up this weekend and marathoning the last few

Corpekata

Banned
Acting feels a bit stiff from the comedians so far, especially when they're on their own. Shines when when they're around the other actors though.

Tangeroo

I'm liking the show so far. Feels like an Indian-American version of Extras, but that's not a bad thing. Lots of the social commentary is on point.

Atrophis

I'm liking it so far. Some of the cast let it down with some shitty acting but it's getting better. Episode four was great (that intro) and the cat story at the start of episode five got me.

Dereck

I wasn't entirely on board until the kids came in.

That's why I enjoy being the uncle, you show up, you play with them, you make a mess, and when they starting being dicks, you're like I'm getting the fuck outta here. And you do, you leave.

Duplolas

Banned
Just finished the ENTIRE series.

Well done Aziz Ansari. Just well done. I feel this is the most appropriate way to express my feelings for this show:

ce9c949d6c73dbfb889f6036bac022dd.gif

After watching the finale I sat in a stupor for a solid 5 minutes just thinking about my life. Im a 19 year old college student who regularly worries about my future and what is holds for me, but after watching this show, I truly worry a little less.

This show had me smiling and laughing throughout and the ending just made me feel something no other show has before. I feel crazy for saying it because I am talking about a goddamn TV Show, but if I am truly crazy, I don't care.

Its been 20 minutes since I watched the Finale of Master of None and in that time all I have done is tell all my friends about how good this show is and listen to Tryouts for the Human Race by Sparks + much of their album that played after since they were used for the Finale's credits song. No other show has made me do that!

So seriously. Hats off to Aziz Ansari for making a pretty amazing show IMO and completely changing my opinion of him. I never took him seriously until now because of his stand up and seeing him on shows Like Parks and Rec. But now I am truly excited to see what he does next.

Akahige

I'm liking it so far. Some of the cast let it down with some shitty acting but it's getting better. Episode four was great (that intro) and the cat story at the start of episode five got me.
Yes the acting is really iffy from most of the cast members.

Aziz's parents were godawful but they both did make me laugh.

Salsa

finished it. really liked it.

ending kinda bummed me in that I expected it to be a more complete thing and season 2 to take onto something different, which is what most Netflix shows seem to do at least.

also, even tho I still really dug it, nothing about it felt quite memorable. Like fast food when compared to something like Louie, for example, which while it might be a bad comparision as a whole you can definetly see similarities in what they go for.

Duplolas

Banned
finished it. really liked it.

ending kinda bummed me in that I expected it to be a more complete thing and season 2 to take onto something different, which is what most Netflix shows seem to do at least.

also, even tho I still really dug it, nothing about it felt quite memorable. Like fast food when compared to something like Louie, for example, which while it might be a bad comparision as a whole you can definetly see similarities in what they go for.

You completely missed the point of the ending man!

The whole point was that your life is full of opportunities like the fruit on the tree mentioned before the end.

He only spent a year with her and with that part of his life ending so did the season. So it makes sense that he would move on... WITH STYLE for the end. He didn't sit and mope, he took life by the reigns and sought out a dream of his, just like his girlfriend did. Exactly what I would expect from his character :D

Salsa

You completely missed the point of the ending man!

The whole point was that your life is full of opportunities like the fruit on the tree mentioned before the end.

He only spent a year with her and with that part of his life ending, he moved on... WITH STYLE! He didn't sit and mope, he took life by the reigns and sought out a dream of his, just like his girlfriend did.

well, yeah, I interpreted it like that at least

I watched it like 10 minutes ago so those are pretty fast impressions after all

considering the series barely really had an arc tho and was more of just a slice of life, it was probably alright, yeah

Duplolas

Banned
well, yeah, I interpreted it like that at least

I watched it like 10 minutes ago so those are pretty fast impressions after all

considering the series barely really had an arc tho and was more of just a slice of life, it was probably alright, yeah

In the end, I thought
the plane he was getting on was to go get his girlfriend back. Coming from a background of watching shows like How I Met Your Mother, it seemed like the obvious ending. But then when it ended up with him going to Italy, that was when I realized what the show was really about.

I feel like that is what the show is suppose to be. The name of the show is "Master of None" after all. So I feel like each season is going to be just a new slice of life, Louie Style.

Edit:

Actually this show is really similar to Louie. I mean, the story and tone is incredibly different, but the structure itself is pretty similar.

Salsa

In the end, I thought
the plane he was getting on was to go get his girlfriend back. Coming from a background of watching shows like How I Met Your Mother, it seemed like the obvious ending. But then when it ended up with him going to Italy, that was when I realized what the show was really about.

I feel like that is what the show is suppose to be. The name of the show is "Master of None" after all. So I feel like each season is going to be just a new slice of life, Louie Style.

well, that's clearly what it was going for

I mean that's not a japanese lady next to him just by chance

Sanjuro

I don't love Aziz. That being said...

The opening to episode two may very well be the greatest thing I've ever seen.

see5harp

First few eps were sorta mixed as far as writing and acting but man that episode Indians on TV was one of the better episodes of comedy television I've seen this year. Really well done there. Love the music choices.

The Other Man was my favorite so far. And I seem to remember an interview when he mentioned being a big Linklater and I can see that coming out in Nashville.

jerry113

Banned
Is this more serialized than, say, Louie?

edit: I'm a couple episodes in and this definitely feels a little less cynical and more upbeat than most standup comedian shows I've seen.

Who else is getting Louie vibes?

Friend and I watched first episode. Weird to see Eric haha. Loved it. We'll watch the rest.

edit: lol should've read two posts above.

Akahige

Episode 2 was alright.

Episode 3 was very good, the show seemed to really hit it's stride, finally feels like the show I've been reading the reviews about.

Episode 4 is even better than 3, hopefully the rest of the episodes are at this level.

Oh god, yes.

I think anyone who's a first generation Asian-American will get a new perspective on their parents after that knockout of a cold open.

Apathy

Oh god, yes.

I think anyone who's a first generation Asian-American will get a new perspective on their parents after that knockout of a cold open.

I think most any first gen immigrant might get new perspective. I'm Latin American but my parents immigration story is like that.

HoJu

The opening was pretty great. The rest of the episode, not so much. Mix of bad acting and awkward editing kinda ruined it.

Cramoss

Finished it. I really really enjoyed it and the last episode was so good and kind of important to me since I've been dealing with some of that recently.

Also, does the finale mean that
we won't see Rachel again or at least for a long time? If so, a bummer to me since I found her to be super cute :(

Memles

Finished it. I really really enjoyed it and the last episode was so good and kind of important to me since I've been dealing with some of that recently.

Also, does the finale mean that
we won't see Rachel again or at least for a long time? If so, a bummer to me since I found her to be super cute :(

Given the way the show treats
the passage of time, there's no reason to believe that next season will be following Dev's time in Italy, or Rachel's time in Japan. I would expect that, similar to the way Rachel entered back into Dev's life gradually, she'll re-enter the story gradually. I think the show invested too much in the relationship to entirely abandon it, and Wells really is a strong presence throughout the season.

TripOpt55

Just finished this. Thought it was generally fantastic outside of some spotty acting here and there. Made me laugh often. Tackled some compelling subject matter. Really nailed the emotional beats. Some of the relationship stuff felt so real which I always appreciate. Scribbled down some moments that I loved that I remembered after watching (my terrible paraphrasing to follow):

*Spoilers from throughout the season*
-The kids in the first episode.
-"Is Mindy Kaling real?"
-The revamped Redskins helmet.
-The bit at the ice cream shop when it flashes through images of Claire Danes' husband and the banana split.
-The scene with the Dominos.
-The 8 mile discussion and Denise interrupting it.
-The Hotel murder/winking thing with the guy at the front desk.
-Bar scene after Dev became the masturbating vigilante.
-"Pulling coins from the ears is on the flyer."
-Nostraskamus.
-The whole "Mornings" episode really. The setup and just those very real relationship disagreements. So good.
-The splitscreen thing in the finale.

And a bunch of other things. Really enjoyed this. Also Rachel reminded me of Rose Byrne a bit. Very cute.

Top Bottom