• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

The trailer didn't do anything for me but after seeing the Metacritic score I decided to give this show a chance...
Wow, this show is nothing like I was expecting; in a good way.
It sneakily tugs at your emotions in the same understated way that Louie does.

Sober

Just started but damn, episode 2 was really good. Definitely hits close to home for being a first-gen immigrant child.

Mr. Tibbs

So far the acting is bad and it's not that funny. Disappointed to be honest.

Feel the same way. Oh boy, the acting is awful. I don't expect much from stand-up comedians or guys with a shtick, but the delivery is just jarring and unnatural. I'm half way through episode two and I think I've had enough.

This is letterboxed. I'm out.

ayyyyy lmfaooo

I finish that one episode, 3? That ends with
a Beach House song and I'm like oh, I wonder what Beach House song it is, it sounds so familiar let me google "Beach House Master of None" and MASTER OF NONE IS THE FUCKING SONG. HE NAMED HIS SERIES AFTER A BEACH HOUSE SONG.

incontrovertibly the best series in television history. it's like Magnolia and Annie Hall adopted Kicking & Screaming in 2015.

My wife and I like everyone had the "man his parents are ehhh" reaction last night then saw they're his real parents and now we're totally on board.

Ok I checked Twitter
he didn't actually name it after that song but still. Might as well have. It's implemented perfectly.

Up to episode 6. Easily the best show ever, hands down.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Episode 5:

Colin: Welcome to the Shakespeare trailer.
Dev: Man, that must have been one hell of a cat.

Colin: CarPerson....no, no, CarHuman.
Dev: How about CarMan?

This whole trailer scene was great.

I'm really enjoying the show. The acting could be tons better though.

Made it about halfway through the pilot
where the big dude is in the bounce house ffs

Hadn't laughed once. Seemed awkward instead of funny.

Removed it from my list.

It gets better a few episodes in. Some of the acting isn't amazing and the scripts are still a little rough but I'm enjoying it. That Lose Yourself cold open i just watched was awesome.

Music's on-point too, that Indian cover of JJF was cool.

The dialogue is fine, but man the acting is ....really poor so far.

I had to stop halfway through episode two. It was just too off putting.

Sober

Wow that was an interesting choice the convo right at the start of episode 6 -
talking about 8 Mile/Lose Yourself over Twin Peaks music

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
re: people talking about aziz's parents and the quality of acting -- just to be clear, you know those are his actual parents, right?

gdt

Man the second episode was so good!

As a kid of immigrants (well I came here when I was 3) it rang so true for my experiences.

Takuan

re: people talking about aziz's parents and the quality of acting -- just to be clear, you know those are his actual parents, right?

Had no idea. I only watched the first two episodes and thought his dad was hilarious. Didn't care about his acting.

And yeah, ep 2 is gonna be a hit with the kids of immigrants. Our parents went through some shit and we write them off way too often.

I don't understand why that's a defense against the show. Also Aziz and his big bespectacled white friend, the black female friend and Brian are poor too.

I don't think I've seen such bad acting across the board in a show for years.

iNvid02

yeah i agree the acting is a little stiff but it didn't bother me much, i was nodding internally in agreement throughout, one of the surprises of the year personally

magnetic

Going to watch this with my gf because she liked his standup and we both loved Parks and Recreation.

My secret reason is that I'm curious how Eric Wareheim acts outside of Tim & Eric.

Spinluck

My brother was able to guess they were his patents just by looking at them. The acting gave it away as well, there's just something that they couldn't hide that gave it away... At least for us. That's really cool though.

Acting doesn't feel that bad to me, I mean yeah his parents aren't pros but that episode really captured what the heart of the show was for me regardless (as a son of immigrants it really hit home). Plus his dad is hilarious. In a way it brings a charm that I don't think hiring actors that fit the description would bring.

This show is by far the best thing Aziz has done, I'm really happy that this show turned out so well.

Sober

It took me like 3 episodes to realize - after they gave Benjamin more than like one line at a time - that it's the dude that voices Bob in Bob's Burgers. Like I recognized his name and everything too a few times.

Flip4k

Feel the same way. Oh boy, the acting is awful. I don't expect much from stand-up comedians or guys with a shtick, but the delivery is just jarring and unnatural. I'm half way through episode two and I think I've had enough.

Watched the first two episodes last night and felt the same way. The acting in episode two was surprisingly bad.

golem

I'm on episode 5 and the acting hasn't bothered me one bit.
I thought the acting was a bit uneven in the early episodes but was fine overall as the chemistry between the characters developed and how they used them in the episodes improved. Also his dad is hilarious

Top Bottom