• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Book : A laptop being made - $1499, Oct 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingZan

Neo Member
I know many would see this as redundant, but if the Surface Book is in "laptop mode" what would you say the odds are of being able to attach a wacom cintiq to this? I know doing this to a SP3 is a driver nightmare...

Futureman

Looks like the Pen tip kit is actually sold separately! I thought it came with the SB/SP4. I guess that will give me a chance to actually go to the MS Store near me for the first time.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Are the internals between the book and pro 4 the exact same when it comes to the i5 256gb flavor?

Surface Book:

•6th Gen 2.6-GHz Intel Core i7-6600U processor with Intel HD graphics 520
•6th Gen 2.4-GHz Intel Core i5-6300U processor with Intel HD graphics 520

Intel has a comparison chart of the two chips on its site.

Surface Pro 4:
•6th Gen 2.2-GHz Intel Core i7-6650U processor with Intel Iris graphics 540
•6th Gen 2.4-GHz Intel Core i5-6300U processor with Intel HD graphics 520
•6th Gen 900-MHz Intel Core m3-6Y30 processor with Intel HD graphics 515

Link

maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read the iGPU and dGPU can work together. So even if it's a 950m level part, it should perform better than a 960m, no?

Dx12 allows that.

Now if only the i7 model came with the iris. Imagine the performance boost this could have?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
960M would be awesome.

I expect an underclocked 950M.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Even an underclocked 950M will perform like a 970 with dual GPU dx12

A mobile 970? No, no chance. ESPECIALLY with only 1gb GDDR5 of VRAM. 2GB is an absolute bare minimum at any res 720p and above with a modern game.

Desktop 970? Heck no.

We're all just rumor mongering right now. But the Alienware 13's i7/2GB 960M combo is the absolute best we should expect games to perfrom. That would be DAMN impressive for a tablet this size; but it's not as good as a 970M full-tilt, no throttling.

I would wager the SB will come in with video performance a fair bit below the AW 13; but I'd love to be wrong.

Futureman

Dx12 isn't out yet right?

I guess it will come in a software update for the Surface Book.

But MS working directly with NVIDIA on custom dGPU, it would seem weird for it not to utilize the dual GPU feature of Dx12.

A mobile 970? No, no chance. ESPECIALLY with only 1gb GDDR5 of VRAM. 2GB is an absolute bare minimum at any res 720p and above with a modern game.

Desktop 970? Heck no.

We're all just rumor mongering right now. But the Alienware 13's i7/2GB 960M combo is the absolute best we should expect games to perfrom. That would be DAMN impressive for a tablet this size; but it's not as good as a 970M full-tilt, no throttling.

I would wager the SB will come in with video performance a fair bit below the AW 13; but I'd love to be wrong.

i'm expecting either a OCed 950m that uses a XB1 split memory pool (the 1 GB GDDR5 would be what the eSRAM is to the XB1 in this case and the system RAM would be the other pool) thanks to the Xbox team's involvement or a 960m where the only custom part is the fact that it has 1 GB of GDDR5.

But MS working directly with NVIDIA on custom dGPU, it would seem weird for it not to utilize the dual GPU feature of Dx12.

like one game uses it right now and its cpu intensive. fable legends is when it's supposed to come out for real.

Futureman

I don't play games but the Adobe software uses the GPU for certain processes. Would this be something Adobe would need to specifically code for?

Newlove

I don't play games but the Adobe software uses the GPU for certain processes. Would this be something Adobe would need to specifically code for?

I don't expect so, it will probably use Nvidia Geforce drivers. This is running Window's 10, so its graphics API will be the same as any other Window's PC.

LordOfChaos

Yes it is. Windows 10 is already primed to use it, it's up to GPU vendors to patch in support. I had thought all of them did already.

LordOfChaos

How well do you think this can run blizzard games, source engine games, and league of legends?

With the dGPU you mean? It would fly through them, luckily that list is pretty low requirement. SC2 ran on an old Core 2 Duo/4570M laptop i had. LoL and most of the other MOBAs are quite scalable as well.

Even on integrated if you're ok with low settings and 30fps on low resolutions (720p) it should be runnable.

Loxley

How well do you think this can run blizzard games, source engine games, and league of legends?

Considering how well-optimized Blizzard and Valve's catalogues are, I really wouldn't worry too much about running their stuff. I can't speak for DOTA 2 or LOL since I've never played them, but it doesn't strike me as something that would require a ton of horsepower to begin with.

I think the SB should handle all of those games perfectly fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage?os=windows-10

Where can I find information like the above but for the Surface Book? I'd like to know how much actual space I have...

I'm really just saddened that I can't get an 8GB option with 512GB... I don't need 16GB RAM. But I definitely need the storage. Shame the 512GB models is so friggen expensive, and so OUT OF STOCK!

Bah.

Could you not use an SD card and/or USB3 flash drive? You can get some very compact USB drives.

I posted this in another surface thread:

this is league of legends running on an i5-5200u = the i5 SP4 will have the 6th gen i5-6300u so should be a little bit better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMDhHc1To4A

The i5 SB has the same CPU as the SP4 so should run league of legends well enough. The GPU version obviously even better.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage?os=windows-10

Where can I find information like the above but for the Surface Book? I'd like to know how much actual space I have...

I'm really just saddened that I can't get an 8GB option with 512GB... I don't need 16GB RAM. But I definitely need the storage. Shame the 512GB models is so friggen expensive, and so OUT OF STOCK!

Bah.

Man I would be even okay with 128GB HDD. I got my 2TB passport HDD. The real deal breaker for me is the no 16GB RAM on any version other than the $2.7k model.

But again, you have to understand this is first gen product. They can't offer something for everyone. I am confident after few months we will have varied selection just like the Surface Pro 4.

ayob

Considering how well-optimized Blizzard and Valve's catalogues are, I really wouldn't worry too much about running their stuff. I can't speak for DOTA 2 or LOL since I've never played them, but it doesn't strike me as something that would require a ton of horsepower to begin with.

I think the SB should handle all of those games perfectly fine.

sweet! i wouldn't do serious gaming on a laptop anyways just a casual league, blizzard, or indie game here and there. This should be perfect for me

ayob

Could you not use an SD card and/or USB3 flash drive? You can get some very compact USB drives.

I posted this in another surface thread:

this is league of legends running on an i5-5200u = the i5 SP4 will have the 6th gen i5-6300u so should be a little bit better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMDhHc1To4A

The i5 SB has the same CPU as the SP4 so should run league of legends well enough. The GPU version obviously even better.

Would it run the games at that weird 3000x2000 resolution?

SpyGuy239

I still can't decide on Surface Book or Surface Pro 4

I won't be using it to game. It'll mostly be for media consumption, watching movies while on the plane, and doing work (not college like daily work)

Would definitely be replacing my good old Asus U36JC with that 3 year old i5.

I might also consider getting an iPad Pro anyway for all the Apps that I already have on iOS. Mainly all the medical stuff that I use.

Future

I still can't decide on Surface Book or Surface Pro 4

I won't be using it to game. It'll mostly be for media consumption, watching movies while on the plane, and doing work (not college like daily work)

Would definitely be replacing my good old Asus U36JC with that 3 year old i5.

I might also consider getting an iPad Pro anyway for all the Apps that I already have on iOS. Mainly all the medical stuff that I use.

I haven't seen the book in person yet but it is those reasons I'm thinking about the pro 4. It's smaller and lighter and easy to fit In Spaces like that. I rarely use laptops in my actual lap so the extra size and gpu aren't necessities

Only problem is I have the pro 3, and I can't really handle basic gaming. If the pro 4 can play league decently and simple games like gone home then I am in. Otherwise, I'll just get the keyboard and maybe pen for my pro 3

The other i7 model (256 GB/8B) is now out of stock as well. Good job MS on a compelling product.

Oh crap! I was waiting on benchmarks to choose between the i5 and i7 versions, gonna have to place an order for the i5 before its out of stock as well.

I really hope the differences are minor. How much of a difference is there in performance between 3mb and 4mb of cache?

strata8

I'm hoping that the Surface Book is built well enough to last for a while. It's such a big purchase that I think I'd want to keep it for at least 4 years... one of my sisters still uses a 7-8 year old plastic Macbook so obviously that's the top end of what I'd expect.

With performance and battery life rapidly approaching 'good enough' in the majority of laptops I wonder if it's actually a good business decision for Microsoft. The margins must be massive and I'm sure most OEMs would kill to sell a high-margin laptop to a customer every 5-6 years vs. a low margin laptop every 2-3 years. That seems like the way Apple operates, and I read that they make more profit from a single computer than Dell makes from 10.

Downhome

Great little ultrabook. core m isn't super fast, but combined with the metal chassis it almost never throttles, so it can actually out punch poorly designed 'faster' machines. The SB will probably kicks its ass, but it's twice the price.

I hope I enjoy it. It is being delivered today!

I'm going from my 17.3" 2011 HP dv7t-6000 that weighs an incredible 7 to 9 pounds, I forget which. Going from that to this 13.3" screen that weighs just 2.5 pounds is going to be quite the change, haha.

Futureman

Question has anyone (journalist) asked Microsoft yet about if you can upgrade the GPU by just switching the base. Man this will be a missed opportunity of their part.

pretty sure there's no technical reason it wouldn't be possible, but I doubt we would even know until the Book 2 is released. MS probably doesn't even know yet.

dLMN8R

I'm just more interested in hearing the nitty gritty detail of how the OS and applications handle removing the base. Like, does it intelligently auto-assign games to use the dedicated GPU while web browsing is smart enough to just use integrated graphics? Or will the dedicated GPU spin up unexpectedly when I'm web browsing, causing the device to get hot in my lap?

Also one guy said all you need to do is restart an application when switching the GPU - but what if you remove the base while running something? Will it simply continue using the GPU it was already using until you restart it?

Do you have manual control over which it uses in case you're a power user and want to assign things yourself instead of letting the OS take care of it?

Also, one of my favorite things of my Surface Pro 3 is that it's never hot in my lap, since all the heat is in the screen. I hope I don't have to go back to having a warm/hot device in my lap :-(

I'm just more interested in hearing the nitty gritty detail of how the OS and applications handle removing the base. Like, does it intelligently auto-assign games to use the dedicated GPU while web browsing is smart enough to just use integrated graphics? Or will the dedicated GPU spin up unexpectedly when I'm web browsing, causing the device to get hot in my lap?

Also one guy said all you need to do is restart an application when switching the GPU - but what if you remove the base while running something? Will it simply continue using the GPU it was already using until you restart it?

Do you have manual control over which it uses in case you're a power user and want to assign things yourself instead of letting the OS take care of it?

Also, one of my favorite things of my Surface Pro 3 is that it's never hot in my lap, since all the heat is in the screen. I hope I don't have to go back to having a warm/hot device in my lap :-(
Windows 7 already had something in place to bind apps to a specific gpu.

I had once a laptop with a discreet gpu alongside the one integrated, and you could manage which apps you would like to use on each gpu. I dunno if it was application controlled though, I remember having an issue with Unity editor that required me to force it to use the discreet gpu, because it was being erroneously bound to the integrated one.

Loxley

Omg that would be so dope. Lol

Indeed, I don't see why technically they couldn't.

pretty sure there's no technical reason it wouldn't be possible, but I doubt we would even know until the Book 2 is released. MS probably doesn't even know yet.

Indeed, it would definitely help address the issue a lot of folks have with laptops, in that upgrading certain aspects of the hardware has always been pain in the ass or outright impossible. They would gain a lot of goodwill from initial and future adopters of the SB if they allowed folks to just buy the base for the (assumed) Surface Book 2 if they wanted to upgrade their hardware.

Of course that begs the question how much the base itself is worth without the tablet along with it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
IT department said they are going to get me a Surface Book for work. YES. Praise jesus, saves me some monies.

Yaari

IT department said they are going to get me a Surface Book for work. YES. Praise jesus, saves me some monies.

Wow, that's cool.

If anyone had a SP before, is a X1 controller synced with bluetooth or how does that work? Can you use those wireless?

dLMN8R

Windows 7 already had something in place to bind apps to a specific gpu.

I had once a laptop with a discreet gpu alongside the one integrated, and you could manage which apps you would like to use on each gpu. I dunno if it was application controlled though, I remember having an issue with Unity editor that required me to force it to use the discreet gpu, because it was being erroneously bound to the integrated one.

Yeah but that was all handled through third-party applications, and never worked super-smoothly. I remember trying to deal with it on my Alienware m11x laptop. Kind of a pain.

Hoping that the Surface Book handles most of it automatically.

Futureman

I just asked Dennis if the dGPU and integrated graphics will work together once DX12 is released and he replied, "I have no reason to think it won't."

now the question is how well does this actually work and what kind of performance bump will you see from the dGPU and Intel HD 520?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom