• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

Ishida

Banned
Dude, the game looks like an I uprezzed ps2 game.

I don't remember any PS2 2.D sidescroller that looked like this.

Mega Man X8 had way worse graphics, for example.

ps2-24-11311224364.jpg

kunonabi

All character models are blockier in the PS2 games, they also do not have any kind of shaders, and textures have lower resolution.

And? More advanced tech doesn't automatically make something look better if it's used poorly and the engine has trouble just trying to run it.

I just played the intro stage and military base from the game and so far it plays like a Megaman game to me. I've noticed level design as one of the complaints against the game from critics.

I won't be able to dig in until maybe later tonight but I'm just wondering what the complaints on the level design are based around because so far, and I know I'm early in, but I don't see how this is any different from any other MM game when it comes to basic level design.

I'm sure this has been brought up a million times, but does the search function during the credits just not work? I type in my number, hit A, and the query goes red. If it's not functional and they didn't remove it, then wow...

Yukinari

I watched someone play the Call stage and i felt like i was going insane. Does she have to blurt out every action she performs? Imagine if Roll did that in Mega Man Powered Up.

NeonBlack

I'm sure this has been brought up a million times, but does the search function during the credits just not work? I type in my number, hit A, and the query goes red. If it's not functional and they didn't remove it, then wow...

It just highlights the no. when it comes around. I know, I was disappointed too.

Looks like I got my digital artbook as a $60 backer

Game really does have good/fun art and I'm still enjoying the game itself as a whole. I'm doing 1-2 bosses/stages a night :)

Curious to see how long it's gonna take for the retro game box tho...

I'm on the military base stage. I just got to pre-boss room, got a healing item, and the 2nd doors just won't open. I'm supposed to be able to take the stages on in any order, right? Prior to this I've only gone through the Radio Tower/Avi stage. Is there any reason why the 2nd set of doors won't open?

You can tackle the levels in any order. I routinely do the military base first, so that sounds like a strange glitch you encountered.

Sweet baby Jesus, this game is great. The only stage I don't see myself blasting through on a regular basis is the capital building but man, everything else seems so pitch perfect. Enemy placement in the level design that's there for you to use your powers to avoid damage, the fine play boss mechanics, dat dash. Mmmm...

The framerate drops can get annoying, but the overall performance is undoubtably better than a good 90% of games released on consoles nowadays. (It should be running at a locked 60, though. Really no reason for MN9 to have these dips) i haven't run into any geometry bugs, yet I'm sure the more I play, I'll encounter some. A couple of the boss fights were pretty lackluster and I really would've like some bulkier mid boss fights and less, "kill these 20 enemies to move on" type scenarios. Maybe in the sequel!
:/

I'll be tackling
Trinity tonight. Got to the transformation last night and got creamed.
Looking forward to playing more!

Shit this game is amazing fun! I have so far done 3 levels and it is damn addicting to replay the stages for better ratings. Can you get an S ranking? I have yet to get 100 percent chains on one level.

So far I havent noticed any bad level design (all dies have been my own fault) but I suppose it will come later. Definitely 8/10 solid so far.

Ishida

Banned
It's kind of funny how this thread evolved from haters celebrating that this game got low scores and even asking for Inafune to leave the industry (lol) to people actually playing the game and realizing it's quite good.

Sure, not everyone likes it, but we went from almost all people saying that the game sucked, and that it was "hot trash" to "it's decent", "it's actually quite good", "I'm having fun with it" and "it is amazing".

I'm quite happy. I also enjoyed the game a lot! It is indeed great fun.

It's kind of funny how this thread evolved from haters celebrating that this game got low scores and even asking for Inafune to leave the industry (lol) to people actually playing the game and realizing it's quite good.
I mean, we still get a handful of drive-bys here and there, though I hope it gets to a point where negative posts are from those who actually gave it a chance, and not mostly overexaggerations in an attempt to ride the bandwagon. The game really isn't that bad. I get if it just wasn't your type of game, but to me, at no point did the game feel rushed or lazy, or like it didn't understand classic Megaman.

I actually checked, and I put 80$ into the thing, haha. I was really surprised I donated so much, but honestly? I'm still not disappointed. Others may feel differently, and they have all the right to feel that way, but I'm glad I helped make something I enjoyed so much. I feel like those who felt it was a lazy attempt to cash in on Megaman should replay the classics. This game streamlines some stuff, but they're really not that different from one another.

Sure, not everyone likes it, but we went from almost all people saying that the game sucked, and that it was "hot trash" to "it's decent", "it's actually quite good", "I'm having fun with it" and "it is amazing".

Are you expecting people hating the game to stay and discuss?

I completed the main story, played as Ray in some stages and I still think this game's level design is ruined by dash mechanic and is in trash tier.

Are you expecting people hating the game to stay and discuss?

I completed the main story, played as Ray in some stages and I still think this game's level design is ruined by dash mechanic and is in trash tier.

The dash mechanic is annoying. It's an unnecessary extra step needed to get rid of enemies. Imagine if you absolutely had to stop, wait and go back for every single health and replenish item that drops from enemies in the Megaman games, even if you didn't need them.

The dash mechanic is annoying. It's an unnecessary extra step needed to get rid of enemies. Imagine if you absolutely had to stop, wait and go back for every single health and replenish item that drops from enemies in the Megaman games, even if you didn't need them.

You dont really need to stop much for most enemies. If you manage to keep doing chains and keep stacking up on power ups you can breeze through most enemies. I notice that the level design works well with the dash mechanics. At first I thought the Fire Man stage was a clusterfuck, but upon replying and speed running I notice that you can keep being on your toes. Of course if you do not like the unique mechanics it wont be as fun playing the game. However I find it very refreshing and fun. It also makes boss battles more tense as if you forget to dash into them they do not lose health.

I am pretty happy that they didnt make this strictly Mega Man clone but do something different this time. The story bits interuption is annoying but with the voices low and pushing start solves the worst issues.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I actually quite like it myself as well. I even (mistakenly) purchased two retail copies despite also have a KS key. Ah well.

That said, I feel that some users got screwed. If you're playing on PC, PS4, or even Xbox One the game is solid enough but the Wii U version is a joke. It's just a really bad port with HUGE drops in frame-rate, long loading times, and various other issues. That's the one thing I take issue with.

I finished Rays story and I prefer her a lot more than Beck (I always liked Zero more than X so it's not that surprising). I find Ray's powers more useful which really made me hate how you switch powers in the game, Beck I didn't have much trouble because I just mainly used Brand and Artillery. Something that the game really needs is an audio cue for when the enemy becomes destabilized instead of just the visual cue. I have been trying to play the co-op missions for two days but sadly no one seems to be playing them, so if anyone needs help with the co-op I'm usually available.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That said, I feel that some users got screwed. If you're playing on PC, PS4, or even Xbox One the game is solid enough but the Wii U version is a joke. It's just a really bad port with HUGE drops in frame-rate, long loading times, and various other issues. That's the one thing I take issue with.

How does it compare to the PS360 versions? (is the X360 version even out yet?)

Is the game badly optimized on the PC or is it me? I have a bit old rig but it can play Resident Evil 5 beyond 120 FPS on ultra. I have to keep adjusting the graphics settings very low as I always get some slowdown issue on those levels with a lot enemies and explosions.

//DEVIL//

I have been told that if you buy a retail version of the game, you get a digital code for fhe ps4,ps3 and vita versions as well. Is this true ? Because i remember my friend buying the game and the only code he got was something about ray

Berordn

I have been told that if you buy a retail version of the game, you get a digital code for fhe ps4,ps3 and vita versions as well. Is this true ? Because i remember my friend buying the game and the only code he got was something about ray

The Ray code was adding entitlements for the base game as well, even though it wasn't indicated anywhere.

No idea if it's still doing that.

Tizoc

OK finally beat all 8 of the main bosses :p Do I need to do Call's stage?
How many more stages left for Beck for that matter.

OK finally beat all 8 of the main bosses :p Do I need to do Call's stage?
How many more stages left for Beck for that matter.

Yes, you need to do Call's stage. Counting her stage - there are 3 levels left for you to finish (two for Beck and the one for Call).

Got the few games ago. Physically on Wii U. I own all of the consoles that MN9 is on, but I choose the Wii U because I wanted to play it on the console line that its spiritual successor came from.

Didn't have much time to play it because of work, but I beat the intro and I got all the way to the helicopter boss fight last night and got game over.

The game is... absolutely woeful. The absolute trainwreck that's actually extremely glorious to behold. Like almost nothing is right, in fact I think there's no redeeming quality that I find besides the game didn't catch fire when I opened the case. Physics, shooting, platforming, pacing, dialogue, writing, voice acting, UI, atmosphere, game feel, everything about the visuals, the framerate, level design, loading times are all magnificently bad.

My gut is telling me it's worse than Hotline Miami 2, which was my 2015 Worst Game of the Year. But MN9 is like... I don't want to stop playing it. It's a spectacle. Like I want to keep playing to explore more of how terrible everything is. So in that case, it reminds me more of The Evil Within than HM2 (which just depressed me at how bad it was). And just like TEW, it's so adorably awful that I actually want to invite people over to watch me play so we can MST3K it (I did it for TEW and it was a-mazing). It's that kinda magic.

But the charm faded fast when I fought the helicopter man, because the fight was sooooooo long and sooooooo boring. The only reason I got game over was because I acted reckless so I can beat it faster because I was tired of its slow animations, super obvious attack patters, and horrendous and repetitive dialogue repeated infinitely.

Definitely firing it up later tonight, can't wait.

I'm failing to see that comparison at the end. There's no obligation to dash every enemy. Even then, dash hitboxes are very forgiving. Are you struggling to line up horizontal shots? Because if that's the issue, it's a neccesary skill in classic Megaman, and something you should get used to.

Honestly, the dash mechanic is what made this game for me. Enemies are stunned after only a few hits, so bringing down groups doesn't take very long. Plus, the dash itself gives you forward momentum, so once you get into the flow, gameplay should be a continuous plow through levels. It feels pretty seamless. The game isn't perfect by any means, but when it does something right, it feels great.

Yeah like the poster above mentioned, Dashing is meant for chaining combos with the reward of extra buffs you can maintain the more you dash through further enemies, while rewarding you for skilled play that can up your final rank.

Otherwise you can simply kill them as you would in any Megaman game... you do know you can kill enemies instead of absorbing them right...?

NathanS

I'm failing to see that comparison at the end. There's no obligation to dash every enemy. Even then, dash hitboxes are very forgiving. Are you struggling to line up horizontal shots? Because if that's the issue, it's a neccesary skill in classic Megaman, and something you should get used to.

Honestly, the dash mechanic is what made this game for me. Enemies are stunned after only a few hits, so bringing down groups doesn't take very long. Plus, the dash itself gives you forward momentum, so once you get into the flow, gameplay should be a continuous plow through levels. It feels pretty seamless. The game isn't perfect by any means, but when it does something right, it feels great.

It reminds me a lot of MM1 in that regard, minus the utter glitchy mess that is Ice Man's stage. I hate those random platforms so much.

So my copy of Mighty No 9 for Wii U finally arrived in the mail, had to import from UK to Australia. I know I'm super in the minority here, but like, I'm kinda liking it :/
After I got past the first stage and annoyed by the voice over, when to the options and changed it to Japanese Voice Over, made Beck sound not annoying and no "that's more like it" every 5 seconds.
Then I found an option to increase the amount of lives per level, put that to max of 9.
So now the game is less irritating and I actually have time to learn the bosses and not slog through the stages to get to them all the time.
I also lucked out in choosing the Highway first which have me the sword attack.
So far I've beaten 5 bosses in 3 hours of gameplay and finding myself enjoying it. Its certainly no a Mega Man X but it's not as bad as I was worried it was going to be after watching some streams the other week and all the reviews.

So my copy of Mighty No 9 for Wii U finally arrived in the mail, had to import from UK to Australia. I know I'm super in the minority here, but like, I'm kinda liking it :/
After I got past the first stage and annoyed by the voice over, when to the options and changed it to Japanese Voice Over, made Beck sound not annoying and no "that's more like it" every 5 seconds.
Then I found an option to increase the amount of lives per level, put that to max of 9.
So now the game is less irritating and I actually have time to learn the bosses and not slog through the stages to get to them all the time.
I also lucked out in choosing the Highway first which have me the sword attack.
So far I've beaten 5 bosses in 3 hours of gameplay and finding myself enjoying it. Its certainly no a Mega Man X but it's not as bad as I was worried it was going to be after watching some streams the other week and all the reviews.
I found having the game in Japanese considerably harder. Why? Because it's more difficult to tell the tells bosses give before an attack since some of these are by speech. Also dialogue during a stage if it's in Japanese I have to stop and read the text. People saying the English dub is horrible are greatly exaggerating.

I enjoyed this game. It's not great but it's not nearly as bad as many say it is. It's competent, has its moments but is unremarkable in many others.

When playing with Ray what is the first recommended boss to tackle?

I tried helicopter guy and couldn't bring him below 50% before dying and I've yet to beat one boss. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I found having the game in Japanese considerably harder. Why? Because it's more difficult to tell the tells bosses give before an attack since some of these are by speech. Also dialogue during a stage if it's in Japanese I have to stop and read the text. People saying the English dub is horrible are greatly exaggerating.
Ahh I didn't realize the bosses had audio tells, that makes sense. Biggest thing I'm missing is the story in the main levels as its hard to read them while plaything the game.

Rambaldi

I picked this up on a whim because I figured I wasn't going to find a used copy since it seemed no one was buying it anyway.

I hate the art style and totally wish it reflected the cover and art book but this game is no where near the trash that the Internet would have you believe. I've been a die hard Mega Man fan for years and it's still an enjoyable game. It's not perfect but it's not the steaming pile of shit gif that GAF loves to post.

fernoca

Just got my retail PS4 copy. And yeah, while there's only 1 code it unlocks the game, Ray and Retro for PS4 and PS3 (and then Vita whenever is out).

Who knows if it will be fixed.

onionfrog

Just finished the game...

Overall this could be a great game If the level design and some of the boss fights had been polished up.

Lots of wasted potential here.

I really did not care for the final stage and boss.

The Megaran rap in the ending credits is pretty dope tho.

Top Bottom