• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

Prisoner

In case anyone else was wondering, (I couldn't find an answer to this on google) you can die in Hard mode and still get the Legendary Peacekeeper achievement. When it says "complete the game without restarting" it just means that you can't get a game over.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

In case anyone else was wondering, (I couldn't find an answer to this on google) you can die in Hard mode and still get the Legendary Peacekeeper achievement. When it says "complete the game without restarting" it just means that you can't get a game over.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

I did wonder if that was the case. I couldn't find anything one way order another when I did my run so I just did it in one life (quitting to dashboard if I died). On the plus side, I learnt the levels inside out which helped immensely for a few challenges later in the game!

Says you.

Yes, obviously. Who else would I be speaking for? :p

Other than the controversy about it sucking or not, this type of game (an extremely short 2D action game) does not lend itself to much discussion, unlike a long rpg or something. If someone didn't like it, why would they post more than once about their negative 3 hour experience? I liked it ok, and may roll it into my yearly megaman marathon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
That Call stealth level was annoying and boring.

Honestly I tried mustering the strength to keep going and finish the game but in the end I decided that suffering through the loading time and getting frustrated at a mediocre wasn't worth the time or effort so I decided to drop it.

Honestly I feel that the game is hard and unfair, like for example getting energy tank is difficult and don't carry over when you die and the game is stingy with 1-ups, which makes me wonder why even bother with them if you aren't going to use them well.

I love the game...but maybe I just suck or is this game hard as hell on normal?

I wouldn't say hard, more like cheap.

Even with all of my cynicism, I have to admit that I absolutely loved Mighty No 8's stage. Love that kind of level design and wish it was used more often than bland industrial settings that are so often the case for this kind of game.

So far I've beaten Mighty No 1, 7, and 8 (all with the standard shooter, of course. Just like every Mega Man game, I never want to beat anything with the special weapons). All of the fights were easy with Mighty No 1's fight being my favorite.

I absolutely despised Mighty No 2 and 4's levels, however. They're horrendous. Aside from those 2 and MN8's, every stage I've played is very mediocre at best and also oddly very short.

Also I learned that the cool Minecraft skin is exclusive to one of the game modes and that's... ugh

I've picked up again from last week and I'm enjoying the game a lot more. After getting through a bulk of the challenges, I feel more in control with the game's mechanics, which makes it more rewarding.
Just made it to the last level. Apparently the Batallion weapon turned out to be the best in the game. You almost don't need anything else, making it this game's Meta Blade lol.
Tips for the final boss? It seems I just need to get lucky with getting 2 recoveries beforehand, or I'll never make it.
Even with all of my cynicism, I have to admit that I absolutely loved Mighty No 8's stage. Love that kind of level design and wish it was used more often than bland industrial settings that are so often the case for this kind of game.

So far I've beaten Mighty No 1, 7, and 8 (all with the standard shooter, of course. Just like every Mega Man game, I never want to beat anything with the special weapons). All of the fights were easy with Mighty No 1's fight being my favorite.

I absolutely despised Mighty No 2 and 4's levels, however. They're horrendous. Aside from those 2 and MN8's, every stage I've played is very mediocre at best and also oddly very short.

Also I learned that the cool Minecraft skin is exclusive to one of the game modes and that's... ugh
How can you stand Countershade's stage? It's the worst in the game by far. What's there to praise in just running around aimlessly in circles with no checkpoint? I recently played it again and still found it to be the worst. The other stages may be "mediocre", but they're much more fun to play fast once you get to know them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, I kickstarted the $60 edition, which entitled me to a physical PS4 copy. I still haven't received it yet (though I did get an email with my download code)... tried emailing Comcept to no avail. Anyone have any advice? Or have kickstarted physical copies just not been delivered yet?

I've been so out of it regarding this game.

Were the printed art books distributed with the t-shirts?
Years ago?
During launch?

Not yet?

I have no idea what I'm even supposed to get at this point.

Years ago?
During launch?

Not yet?

All the printed stuff will be shipped this fall according to the last info we have.

peZNA81.png

holy shit lmao
they just do not give a fuck

tumblr_nn4ovqFTqM1rd1bduo1_500.gif

Can't wait for the next Inafune kickstarter!

fernoca

Yeah, that was a bit disappointing.

I'm still glad I got it. For $30 got:
-Digital Wii U version
-Retail PS4 version, which included:
--Game on disc
--PS4 digital copy
--PS3 digital copy
--Vita digital copy (whenever it's out)
--Ray DLC
--Retro Beck DLC
--Full color booklet
--Two sided poster

Years ago?
During launch?

Not yet?

I backed for $60 and I'm supposed to get my empty box with instruction booklet and I haven't heard a thing about these rewards being sent out yet.

I've been pacient and trying to be reasonable. I knew their hands were full with the game's launch but now they really need to start communicating about the rewards. I don't need it NOW, I just need to know they're coming eventually. Ignoring this is not the way to go, Comcept.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hey I have a question about the crossbuy (which I'm sure has prob been answered like 10 pages back or something). I heard how people said that the PS4 download code voucher inside has the DLC AND a digital copy of the PS4 copy. I didn't realize it was crossbuy, so I entered the number into my Vita to get a copy for there (not wanting an extra copy on PS4 since I have it on disc) aaaand it says it's for an incompatible system? DO I need to remotely send it or something? I just want to get around not wasting HDD space with installing the digital copy to the PS4.

Hey I have a question about the crossbuy (which I'm sure has prob been answered like 10 pages back or something). I heard how people said that the PS4 download code voucher inside has the DLC AND a digital copy of the PS4 copy. I didn't realize it was crossbuy, so I entered the number into my Vita to get a copy for there (not wanting an extra copy on PS4 since I have it on disc) aaaand it says it's for an incompatible system? DO I need to remotely send it or something? I just want to get around not wasting HDD space with installing the digital copy to the PS4.

The Vita version of the game isn't out yet (no release date announced) so you can't redeem the code on your Vita (yet).

There is no Vita version of the game yet.

You can enter the code on PSN wherever and it will activate the Vita version when it releases.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Ah that's right, no Vita or 3DS versions yet. Felt like they already came out, but who knows when. Well I have no need to put it on my PS3 so I guess I'll have to wait then!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished this the other day. It wasn't horrible, but definitely found it mediocre. I think some areas had horrible level designs and if you use the right abilities, the bosses can be incredibly easy. I didn't play on any other difficulties yet or anything. I thought the final level was just horribly designed all around.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Installed the game, tried it a little. Garbage game.
$60 I want back. Should have paid people to play the game.

False advertising along with poor writing and performance issues. The list goes on.

This game I wouldn't be surprised if it needs its own landfill like et

Eusis

Installed the game, tried it a little. Garbage game.
$60 I want back. Should have paid people to play the game.

False advertising along with poor writing and performance issues. The list goes on.

This game I wouldn't be surprised if it needs its own landfill like et
I'd say that'd be hard with a digital only game, but Deep Silver DID get physical copies out.

It's not THAT bad, though those Beck figurines deserve to go into one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I backed for $60 and I'm supposed to get my empty box with instruction booklet and I haven't heard a thing about these rewards being sent out yet.

I've been pacient and trying to be reasonable. I knew their hands were full with the game's launch but now they really need to start communicating about the rewards. I don't need it NOW, I just need to know they're coming eventually. Ignoring this is not the way to go, Comcept.

Good to see I'm not alone on this - I also backed for $60. I have emailed Comcept multiple times and posted on the KS page asking what's going on with the physical rewards to no avail. Well, at least let us know if you hear anything... this whole thing was a disaster :(

I fired this up last night, fearful. I do have complaints which I'll list, but I did the power plant stage and boss (#3 I think?) and well damn, I enjoyed it. Looking fwd to playing more. not looking fwd to figuring out the boss order if needed though, i was able to beat #3 with the buster but not sure if she's actually the first in order or if I just muscled through it

complaints which I'm sure have been beaten to death

- game is hella ugly

- I'd rather no voice acting. tempted to turn it off but haven't gotten that annoyed yet

- I do not like the dash into stunned enemies mechanic. I find myself playing sloppy and dashing into enemies before they're stunned, or if there's multiple and not all are stunned but I dash into the group anyway

- sometimes hard to tell if an enemy is stunned or not. mistakes have been made

- there was 1 section of the power plant stage (hint: use low dash) which I figured out on my own but I wasn't holding the dash button long enough, died a few times there, had to look it up. That's on me I guess but I didn't know to hold the dash button longer

- game needs to be simpler. the allure of the OG Mega Man games is that the mechanics are basic. I haven't unlocked them yet but the controller config menu is showing that there's more moves etc coming up, not just the boss powers

- sometimes hard to tell if an enemy is stunned or not. mistakes have been made

- there was 1 section of the power plant stage (hint: use low dash) which I figured out on my own but I wasn't holding the dash button long enough, died a few times there, had to look it up. That's on me I guess but I didn't know to hold the dash button longer

Nah, that one isn't your fault, the game never mentions (to my knowledge) about holding down the button to dash longer, nor does it mention about low dashing until you die. The most annoying thing being this was a problem since the beta was released back in last September, and they just never fixed the damn thing (like so many other issues I had in the game).

I also agree about the stun issue - the final boss is a great example of this - its purple in colour normally, and when its stunned, its also purple in colour (not like other enemies where they go blue, red, yellow etc.) so its very possible to not realise that he is stunned. Its very bad prompting for sure.

All in all I still really enjoyed the game though, and I would normally say a few extra months of dev time would have fixed the issues, but it really does raise the question just WTF were the devs doing between September to June this year, for the game not to get the fixes it sorely needed? I still think a sequel could be great for the series, a Mega Man 2 styled game that tightens up gameplay and fixes a few bits could potentially be excellent in my opinion. Oh, and get rid of ledge grabbing, that is just broken as a mechanic.

I'm getting my ass kicked by a little girl...

Any tips for Mighty No.2?

Beat Mighty No 5 (Bat) first for his weapon. Then when she does her big ice column attack - use Bat's grenade weapon on the base of the column to destroy all the bricks. She should fall flat on her arse and be completely vulnarable for a set period of time. Go back to your default weapon to hit her for a bit, then repeat keeping in mind you'll need to dash/absorb her twice before she goes into her second phase. Also keep in mind that she will always get one shot off at you so be aware of that. If you destroy the ice column quickly enough though the shot shouldn't travel to far, so keep a good distance between yourself and her and you should be fairly safe.

On the second phase she hovers at a lower altitude and uses a freeze cannon that alternates between shooting straight forward and downward. As long as your keeping your distance and not jumping at her, the only time your going to take damage is when she's shooting downward - so you need to time your dash right and dash under her while she's shooting straight ahead so you won't take any damage. Keep your distance, though be mindful to not get stuck in a corner where its impossible to dodge her attack.

Also, on phase two, use more grenades and detonate them in mid air so that you are dealing damage to her, if you have enough ammo, and are accurate enough you can finish the fight before she even touches the ground. Just be careful of her freeze attack.

Should you get frozen then you'll have to button mash your way out of ice, and you'll most likely take damage (especially on higher difficulties) where she jumps on you. She's easily the most annoying boss in the game for me, when doing the boss rush mode she was always the main sticking point for me, since she takes off so much health if you get frozen.

Oh, and don't forget about energy tanks - use them if you have them, they can really be life savers in this fight.

Opa-Pa

This is a really strange game where I enjoyed it and want it to succeed despite its glaring flaws because I know Inti are more than capable of making an incredible sequel with proper management but at the same time I want it to flop like no other so Inafune retires. The way his company handled the kickstarter campaign and treated backers is infuriating, sigh.

Any news on the soundtrack? Not that I can rely on their social media accounts for updates lol.

I'm getting my ass kicked by a little girl...

Any tips for Mighty No.2?
Make sure she makes her ice towers as far from you as possible, then start shooting the ice as you walk toward her, avoiding her shots. If you do it fast enough and get rid of the ice with enough time, you can shoot her while standing very close to her because her attacks won't reach you. Repeat this until she changes her pattern and then it's just dashing through her ice spray with the right timing.

Getting the right weapon as stated above helps too but it's definitely not too hard to manage without it. Oh, and try to avoid getting frozen as much as possible, that mechanic is godawful in this game and almost a guaranteed hit.

DMNBT

Neo Member
Thanks guys, Batt's weapon did the trick. That said, compared to Cryo, both Batt and Mic were a complete joke of a boss fight. Only one number to go!

PD: Is there a recommended time to tackle the DLC stage?

Opa-Pa

The DLC stage can be played whenever you want, it doesn't make a difference or spoil anything. Ray mode is basically the same stages but from her perspective. It's much harder than the main game though, IMO so I'd wait until beating the game before tackling it entirely.

RoeBear

Has anyone played this on ps3 yet? I just played on it and holy crap. The framerate is never consistent, which makes boss rush impossible it seems.

Yeah, I beat 4 robot masters and have decided to quit this game. It's cheap. There was a part in the mining stage where you go down a ladder and there's drills making tunnels. Not clear to go left or right, I go left and it's a dead end. A drill pins me in and kills me. Same room like 2 ladders dowm, I go right and it's an invisible wall. The tunnel clearly goes right but it stops me. A drill pins me in and kills me.

Same stage, another part. Walk down a slope that goes off the bottom of the screen. Spikes are there, kills me. I also want to complain about the bunch of times where the stun knockback throws me off a ledge or comveyer belt straight into spikes. Annoying.

Next stage, I'm on the highway jumping from car to car. A character named Brand shows up and slashes the car out from under me, killing me. Easy to see coming but not that first time, before you know what he's doing. Fighting this boss, he glows purple when he's charged up. Also glows purple when stunned and you need to dash into him. Not confusing at all, nope.

I went into this game optimistic and enjoyed it the fist night, as reflected in my post above. Since then the game is cheap and frustrated me to quitting without beating it. Fuck this game, I regret so much backing the kickstarter. I will never back a crowdfunding video game ever again, will support post launch instead if it looks good or gets good reviews.

DMNBT

Neo Member
Finally cleared the game (plus the DLC stage). I'm still not sure how to dodge half the attacks from the last boss' second form, but Batt's weapon saved my ass and did enough damage to kill it. I think I spent, like, 20 lives on the boss, by the end I could no-damage-run the first form on instinct.

Final thoughts on the game: The game isn't bad by any means, it's certainly more than competent, but compared to any Mega Man game (nevermind compared to what was promised in the KS) it just doesn't measure. As I said to a friend: The game certainly doesn't deserve all the hate it's getting, but it also doesn't deserve anyone to defend it.

RiggyRob

Finally got around to seeing what my Kickstarter money paid for: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o0ReKfSl88DtFxPWCRzEpDc&v=yeWooYYb9Tw

The game seems like it could be quite fun to play actually, despite the negativity around it. It feels like they wanted to try something different with the dash rather than just make an HD Mega Man game in order to make Mighty No. 9 it's own thing (proven by Inafune trying to make it into a franchise before it was even finished).

I have to ask though - why does the game look so bad? Unity can produce better looking explosion/fire effects than these pizzas, right?

Yeah, I beat 4 robot masters and have decided to quit this game. It's cheap. There was a part in the mining stage where you go down a ladder and there's drills making tunnels. Not clear to go left or right, I go left and it's a dead end. A drill pins me in and kills me. Same room like 2 ladders dowm, I go right and it's an invisible wall. The tunnel clearly goes right but it stops me. A drill pins me in and kills me.

Same stage, another part. Walk down a slope that goes off the bottom of the screen. Spikes are there, kills me. I also want to complain about the bunch of times where the stun knockback throws me off a ledge or comveyer belt straight into spikes. Annoying.

Next stage, I'm on the highway jumping from car to car. A character named Brand shows up and slashes the car out from under me, killing me. Easy to see coming but not that first time, before you know what he's doing. Fighting this boss, he glows purple when he's charged up. Also glows purple when stunned and you need to dash into him. Not confusing at all, nope.

I went into this game optimistic and enjoyed it the fist night, as reflected in my post above. Since then the game is cheap and frustrated me to quitting without beating it. Fuck this game, I regret so much backing the kickstarter. I will never back a crowdfunding video game ever again, will support post launch instead if it looks good or gets good reviews.

Tbh honest the bolded just sounds like most mega man games.... Dunno how you could like one but not the other. But i dunno i havnt played mn9

Tbh honest the bolded just sounds like most mega man games.... Dunno how you could like one but not the other. But i dunno i havnt played mn9

Knock back (especially when dashing) is brutally bad in MN9, way worse than any Mega Man game in my opinion. And there are a few places (Mighty No 1's stage at the end with the silos) where it gets comically bad thanks to the pits and 1 hit kills. I get that its supposed to be a risk/reward system where the game is punishing you for your bad move but really the game needed to be more tightly designed so that it feels like its your fault and not just the game being cheap at times.
Basically - you have the later MM games which have been refined (heck even by MM2 things had been greatly improved) and then you have a few things in this game which feel like a step back to MM1 territory - suck as the slippery controls, the cheap placement of enemies in a few places, the knock back issues etc.

As I've mentioned before, I still think a sequel would actually improve things quite a bit if they actually took the time to rectify the mistakes of the first game. I just fear that it'll never happen after the mauling this game got.

Opa-Pa

This game is so weird, because I've seen people complaint about stuff that, yes, it's in some beloved Mega Man games, and it's obvious that the devs added them because of that, but I feel like in those other games we give them a pass because otherwise they're wonderful, while MN9 not so much.

Like I hate Quick Man's stage because it's a pain in the ass and not fun at all withou Flash's ability, but there's the mine stage in MN9 which is similar but arguably less bad and I still can't forgive it because the rest of the stages don't have level design as good as MM2.

But it works the other way around too, and it puzzles me because I haven't seen anyone ackowledge it. I remember a day before release there was a thread with a video of the final boss and everyone was making fun of it or mentioning how terrible it looked. I didn't want to have it spoiled but when I got to the final boss by myself I was confused because yeah, it was a Yellow Devil clone but... it was very well designed and better than any iteration in actual Mega Man games...

The game ended up being pretty good IMO, but still disappointing and with some glaring flaws that feel confusing in a modern game, and I know could be fixed in a sequel, and I think one could be fantastic if the development goes right. But it's obvious that the future of MN9 as a series is super hazy so eh.

But it works the other way around too, and it puzzles me because I haven't seen anyone ackowledge it. I remember a day before release there was a thread with a video of the final boss and everyone was making fun of it or mentioning how terrible it looked. I didn't want to have it spoiled but when I got to the final boss by myself I was confused because yeah, it was a Yellow Devil clone but... it was very well designed and better than any iteration in actual Mega Man games...

So, how did you beat the final boss without maximum handouts? I still haven't beaten the game because of this.

Opa-Pa

I lost a lot of times against it because in my mind it was a Yellow Devil and I expected it to attack like one but then realized its first form attacks in the same pattern all the time and at one point I could get to its second phase without getting hit once.

Then you use the remote bomb weapon to destroy its body quickly and keep using it with its other form to avoid exposing yourself to its attacks too much and get its health down fast. Repeat around 4 times and boom. Using the downwards dash for more precise dodging helps a lot too.

So, how did you beat the final boss without maximum handouts? I still haven't beaten the game because of this.

Here's my Hyper Difficulty run on the final level (final boss starts at 4:50):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKZX8kL5Jog

You don't get 2 E tanks in this mode and you take double damage. Plus the boss gets more patterns in phase 1 and she's faster... so that made her probably joint hardest boss in the game with Brand who I really struggled on for some reason.

I can't do the fight without using Bat's bomb weapon though, since you take too much damage now I'd rather not risk it, plus in phase 2 its also the best weapon to do radial damage to the boss when its in the center shooting fireballs everywhere.

I could probably do a normal mode run against the boss without the need of weapons and E tanks since the damage and speed of the fight is lower but I still wouldn't know how to damage the boss in the second phase (where he's in the middle) without taking some damage myself. Honestly while I enjoyed that boss battle quite a bit (especially on Hyper) I've had 0 desire to return to it to perfect my run (S ranking it on hyper difficulty then plat'ing the game was enough for me!), yet I'm still trying to perfect Fire Man's boss battle in the original Mega Man game (buster only, no damage, no glitching).

Top Bottom